Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 13:33   #2596
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

The Jamis Coda Sport is a nice hybrid bike. If you keep riding regularly, there is no reason why you should not be able to ride 10-15 or even longer distances at 25 kmph.

Or faster.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:43   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
The Jamis Coda Sport is a nice hybrid bike.
Checked it out, looks very nice.

Prabuddha, the frame loks a lot like the Raleigh Clubman old school lightweight steel frame. I kind of prefer steel for the ride quality, the strength, and the longevity.

There's a shop here which claims he can get me a packed piece (14K), though others say for sure its been discontinue by Suncross in India.

Two different guys I have spoken to - one has an old stock Fomas Road King which he's willing to give for 9K, while the other is willing to give the Suncross Racer Star for 12K (or 20K with Claris shifters and derailleurs).

I'm not really looking at a road bike currently, but wanted to hear your thoughts on these 3 low end road bikes.

A bit higher you get the Firefox Road Pro (17K), the BSA Cruze (18K), and the base Montra (23K). But I like the look of the Raleigh (plus the obvious nostalgia of my first bike).

P.S. Could you also take a look at these two tyres and help me decide which would be better for pure road riding. Obviously want something that will roll better, all other things being equal. Both are 26x1.50.

The Bicycles thread-430.jpg

The Bicycles thread-431.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 11th June 2015 at 13:59.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:32   #2598
BHPian

Hi Ebonho, I too love the feel of steel. In fact, since I have got the Psynyde Autumn made, I have hardly been riding my Fuji carbon bike. Carbon with its vertical compliance and lateral stiffness seems to have an identity crisis that steel never has.

Also within steel, there are so many different types of steel available, that it can be quite confusing. I had in 2011 bought a single speed steel frame (relatively unknown, called Scrambler V3) and built it up as a fixed gear bike. This bike is Tange chrome moly steel and the ride is very stiff and snappy. Sometime in 2014 I converted a Gios steel road bike I had lying around, into another fixie. Now this Gios is nicer steel, and so the Scrambler is lying around, probably to be sold off.

What I am trying to say is that if you are sure you like steel, go for a good steel frame. Otherwise, you will ride a mediocre frame for a while and sooner than later, you will start thinking of getting a better frame. So, I suggest, hang on to your new bike plan. If you want a steel bike, set yourself a budget of 50k for a single speed or 70-100k for a multi geared bike. If you keep your eyes open, old steel road bikes also show up on the market. They get lapped up very quickly, but you can find a good deal. I recently sold my old Olmo road bike.

Regarding road tires, while going straight is okay, the tread matters when you are turning. So I prefer treads that have some grippy section slightly off the middle 0.5 cm patch. From that perspective, I think the second tire has the tread pattern more suited for road riding.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:10   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding road tires, while going straight is okay, the tread matters when you are turning. So I prefer treads that have some grippy section slightly off the middle 0.5 cm patch. From that perspective, I think the second tire has the tread pattern more suited for road riding.
Thanks bro. What also helps is the straight ribs will probably roll better in a straight line.

So I guess this one would be a complete no-no for Indian urban riding? Also 26x1.50.

The Bicycles thread-r4101-beach-cruiser.jpg
Old 11th June 2015, 15:28   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks bro. What also helps is the straight ribs will probably roll better in a straight line.
I guess Geax StreetRunner's would be ideal. The middle patch ( ~1cm ) is flat; and the sides have a thread pattern. Excellent cornering dynamics.

Have been using them for 3,000 kilometers. The same set. Impressive tire life; they show hardly any signs of ageing; inspite of 1 year/3,000 km/mixed terrain usage.

Used them for everything- Offroading; commuting and what not. Excellent grip; even in the rains. Cannot recall a single instance when the tires lost grip.

And yeah; in my experience; impressive puncture resistance; too. Only one puncture to date; at the 1500 km interval. That puncture was totally my fault. Avoidable.

As they say; A picture says a thousand words.

The Bicycles thread-geax.jpg

Tire size is 26 inch. Surinder in Poona had a huge stock of them.

P.S: Just for the record; the tire size in a BSA Mach is 700 x 35c x 19.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 11th June 2015 at 15:29.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:28   #2601
BHPian

Are you actually able to find all these options in shops? I am honestly surprised. What I do is just buy the best set I can afford. Usually that is Vittoria or Conti. At least for the past three years or so.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:36   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you actually able to find all these options in shops? I am honestly surprised. What I do is just buy the best set I can afford. Usually that is Vittoria or Conti. At least for the past three years or so.
No. But I have been on the phone. And will get myself a set eventually (fingers crossed). Obviously these are not fast moving tyres because of the non-standard size. But they are there on the websites so no harm in folowing up to the normal conclusion. Meanwhile, my 26x1.95's are being propelled at 21.-- now vs the earlier 20.-- (but same distance - will cut out the mid rid break now)

P.S. FINTAIL, those look a lot like the MAXXIS Detonators - and probably cost as much (1000 bucks a tyre). The ones I am looking at are Indian brands at Indian prices. But good ones (who supply the likes of Btwin for instance)

Last edited by ebonho : 11th June 2015 at 15:38.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:38   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well; yeah- I do manage to find all such options.

I also try and buy the best possible. Will buy a pair of Continental GatorSkins for the Bianchi soon.

My Montra might get a nice set of Continental Whitewalls soon. Will look very; very retro.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:40   #2604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Well; yeah- I do manage to find all such options.

I also try and buy the best possible. Will buy a pair of Continental GatorSkins for the Bianchi soon.

My Montra might get a nice set of Continental Whitewalls soon. Will look very; very retro.
A heads up. The same Contis that are being sold at 700 a tyre at the "big" imported cycle stores, are being sold for 350 bucks at Phadke Haud (Surana).
Old 11th June 2015, 15:43   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A heads up. The same Contis that are being sold at 700 a tyre at the "big" imported cycle stores, are being sold for 350 bucks at Phadke Haud (Surana).
Yeah- Thanks for the inputs!
Old 11th June 2015, 15:47   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Yeah- Thanks for the inputs!
Just trying to save you some money son. We dads are a bit sensitive about that.

Btw, the last week of tyre hunting and researching has finally taught me about tyre sizing.

26x1 1/2 is NOT equal to 26x1.50

26x1 1/2 = 37-584

26x1.50 = 40-559 (MTBs)

And ne'er the twain shall meet ....

Most tyre guys themselves are clueless about Imperial vs ETRTO vs French sizing.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th June 2015 at 15:50.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:50   #2607
BHPian

Honestly, if you ask me, Gatorskins are grossly overrated. I have tried two sets, one was 28 mm and the other 23 mm, both 700c tires. Compared to the Continental Ultra sports, I got no fewer flats with these. I think choosing your line on the road is more helpful in avoiding flats. I make it a point now to ride at least three feet away from the edge of the road.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:58   #2608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, if you ask me, Gatorskins are grossly overrated. I have tried two sets, one was 28 mm and the other 23 mm, both 700c tires. Compared to the Continental Ultra sports, I got no fewer flats with these. I think choosing your line on the road is more helpful in avoiding flats. I make it a point now to ride at least three feet away from the edge of the road.
The first tyre I posted is a gatorskin-esque tread no? Both central and to the edges.
Old 11th June 2015, 16:02   #2609
BHPian

https://www.conti-online.com/www/lin...rskin-data.png

Gatorskins have the same tread pattern as Ultra Sports. Just some leafy patterns on the sides.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:44   #2610
BHPian

Dear experts would request your guidance. I have a Btwin Rockrider 5.0 which i use for weekend runs, the longest of which has been up to 70 Kms.

I am able to perfectly manage moderate climbs and short steep sections on this cycle, however every time i tackle something more serious i.e Sinhagad here in Pune, i literally have to push the bicycle post the halfway mark of the climb and only able to pedal on the relatively easier sections.

The question which bugs me is this due to the cycle or do i need to do something different to build up my stamina. Would appreciate our forum members to help me out with this query.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks