Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 22:48   #3001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi guys, if I fall off on the tarmac & got a slight superficial scratch, do I need to take a shot of tetanus ?
Am no expert but typhoid and lepto are possible risks too. you can take tetanus within 24 hrs per my knowledge for it to be effective. Hopefully you get replies from a doc as well!
Old 5th April 2016, 22:52   #3002
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi guys, if I fall off on the tarmac & got a slight superficial scratch, do I need to take a shot of tetanus ?

Local clinic is closed now at 10:40pm, asking coz I'm not sure if it's urgently necessary.
Always a good thing to do. Get it done in the morning.

For now wash the scratch with hydrogen peroxide. Do not cover these kind of wounds unless they are leaking fluids.
Old 6th April 2016, 00:15   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am no expert but typhoid and lepto are possible risks too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Always a good thing to do. Get it done in the morning.
Thanks guys, washed & cleaned up then applied Dettol. Will get a shot tomorrow.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:18   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
For higher speeds, there are a few contributors. 1. Foot retention. If you use clipless pedals you can pull the pedals as well as push. That increases speed noticeably. 1. Aerodynamic posture. Drop handlebars allow you to ride in the drops when you want to go faster. 3. Lightweight components. Road bikes usually have 23mm wide tires and alloy rims. The wheels on their own contribute substantially to higher speeds.
Thank You. This gives me some short term and lower cost ideas on how to approach my problem. I will start with Clipless Pedals and see how that goes. If that goes well, I will tackle the tyres and rims.

Quote:
Also, for a reliable road bike, the budget may need stretching. Unless you are prepared to ride a single speed, maybe something like a track bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
I'm not sure how far any component upgrade might take you, and if the doctor or some expert gives the go ahead for a road bike, I suggest you go for a road bike only, as that will be a substantial upgrade and is perfect for smooth tarmac stretches.
I will first try the points above and see how it goes. If these changes allow me to increase my average speed to 27-30 kmph, I think I would be satisfied. If not, then I will dispose off the Montra and look for a Road Bike. However, a Single Speed is not my thing, since I won't be riding it on a track.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Old 8th April 2016, 16:55   #3005
BHPian

Hi fellow cyclists, I have been going through the posts here for sometime now and would like raise some queries on certain points. I ride a B-Twin (being my first bike, didn't want splurge much), been riding the same for 3 months now.

I use Strava to record my rides, funny thing is that the max speed shows 55 kmph although I never thought I can/ I ride that fast, so the doubt whether Strava is mapping my speeds correctly? Any other app that I can consider?

Secondly, read a lot of discussions on how hy-brid tires (thin profile tires) offer less rolling resistance, hence better for riding. Is there a possibility of changing my MTB tires and replacing them with the skinny types? Will it require changing the wheel as well?

Eagerly awaiting answers/ suggestions :-)
Old 8th April 2016, 17:14   #3006
BHPian

Are you using Strava app on your phone? In that case, there might be chances of the GPS link failing at times (heavy tree cover etc) and then an error showing up when it reconnects. Having said that, 55 kmph is quite easily achieved going downhill.

When you say skinny, how skinny are you thinking? I have used 1.25 inch tires on mtb rims but that too is not very safe if you are going around sharp corners. It is best to get narrower rims.
Old 25th April 2016, 15:41   #3007
BHPian

This is my cycle which was bought in 1999.

I used it to go for tuitions, for shopping at the nearby junctions, going to church, hanging out with friends, racing, having fun.

But as I turned 18 and got my license, the cycle was rarely used and was relegated to a spot behind my home where it weathered all sun, rain all that nature threw at it.

Until.... A couple of months back when I suddenly had the urge to restore it.

Finally she's back with me and I hope to recreate that magical feeling of cycling with the wind blowing through my hair.

The Bicycles thread-fb_img_1461578883281.jpg

The Bicycles thread-fb_img_1461578879311.jpg

The Bicycles thread-fb_img_1461578875037.jpg

The Bicycles thread-fb_img_1461578871024.jpg

The Bicycles thread-fb_img_1461578865550.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:03   #3008
Senior - BHPian

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produ...assist_4-0.php

A pro biker was caught using this product in competition. The price is very costly.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-...den-driessche/
Old 29th April 2016, 13:13   #3009
BHPian

Mumbai Cyclists,

There is going to be a night ride from Thane to Town and back tomorrow night (30th April) arranged by the Zero Emissions Group, any BHP'ians joining the same?

Regards,
Vinay
Old 1st May 2016, 09:55   #3010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
Mumbai Cyclists,

There is going to be a night ride from Thane to Town and back tomorrow night (30th April) arranged by the Zero Emissions Group, any BHP'ians joining the same?

Saw a very large group at NCPA early this morning - there were folks from all over town. Amazing that there are so many cyclists in Bombay. Was at NCPA with the Striders team, which had organised a duathlon (albeit a short one).
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:59   #3011
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Saw a very large group at NCPA early this morning - there were folks from all over town. Amazing that there are so many cyclists in Bombay. Was at NCPA with the Striders team, which had organised a duathlon (albeit a short one).
I believe BHPian V16 was a part of the group as well. I passed many of the riders as I was finishing my morning ride.

You are right about the number of cyclists in the city. When I started riding (four years ago) there used to be just a couple of other riders seen between 5 am to 6 am. Over the past year or so, this number has grown many fold.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd May 2016 at 08:01.
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:49   #3012
BHPian

I ride every week end, but I am not too keen on these large group rides. If I had more time, I might have spent time with these groups.

What me and my riding buddies do is just group up and ride hard. Fewest of pleasantries, and away we go.
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:04   #3013

Quote:
I ride every week end, but I am not too keen on these large group rides. If I had more time, I might have spent time with these groups.

What me and my riding buddies do is just group up and ride hard. Fewest of pleasantries, and away we go.

Large group rides are good for beginners.

But, as you get fitter and faster, you will enjoy more riding with riders having similar strength.
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:07   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Finally she's back with me and I hope to recreate that magical feeling of cycling with the wind blowing through my hair.
Good to see cycling passion re-ignited. Cycling is a difference experience
The restoration looks good.
Having said that, these simple bikes cannot give the comfort/ease of the technologically advanced bikes available in the market.

2 years ago, I also started cycling by borrowing my nephews Hero F1. It was a simple gear less bike. After couple of months of riding, upgraded to Montra Blues 1.1 (18k INR). Boy oh boy, the aluminium frame, 21 gears, adjustable seat post, efficient brakes etc. makes HUGE difference. Riding 40-50 kms in one go is piece of cake now.

If you have started riding regularly do think of upgrade.
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:45   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Good to see cycling passion re-ignited. Cycling is a difference experience
The restoration looks good.
Having said that, these simple bikes cannot give the comfort/ease of the technologically advanced bikes available in the market.

2 years ago, I also started cycling by borrowing my nephews Hero F1. It was a simple gear less bike. After couple of months of riding, upgraded to Montra Blues 1.1 (18k INR). Boy oh boy, the aluminium frame, 21 gears, adjustable seat post, efficient brakes etc. makes HUGE difference. Riding 40-50 kms in one go is piece of cake now.

If you have started riding regularly do think of upgrade.
Modern bicycles do offer a lot of benefits, but most of these bicycles come with unnecessary stuff that add to the weight and to the price. I see so many people riding in Bombay on mtb's with fat 2+ inch tires and suspension and 21 speeds. They could be riding farther and faster on slim tired suspension less single speed bicycles. At the most, in Bombay's kind of terrain, unless you are riding in Malabar hill, Pedder Road, Malad East, Aarey colony or Kharghar hills, you can make do with a three speed set up.

The frame built to lower tolerances definitely contributes, as do the lighter tougher wheels and far superior calliper or V brakes. Nicer bearings all round make up for a smoother experience. Beyond that most other things like disc brakes and suspension are just additional weight to be lugged along.

Most Viewed