Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:42   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Haven't checked the prices lately but from what I remember Riverside costs ~20-25k & Original somewhere around 20k.

You could also check these bikes in the used market & land up with a good deal. As such Btwin network is good so repairs maintenance are cheap & easy if required.
The Riverside series now seems to have lesser options than it used to. Some popular variants have been discontinued. In my opinion, Riverside series bikes are a great buy, even used!
Somehow, it seems that Decathlon wants more people to buy MTBs, particularly the RR 5x series than Riversides.
The Original series, on the other hand, is too comfort oriented, in my opinion. They are heavier and slower, but very well built. Won't recommend this series to anyone who wants to take to cycling seriously.

By the way - as a finishing note to my previous query on tyres, I ended up ordering "SCHWALBE MARATHON PLUS" from BOTS, based on Phamilyman's recommendations and tons of online reviews. Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:49   #3107
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I would like to check out the used market but here in Kolkata I will pay a visit to the decathlon store
Ask people in riding groups in your City. Yes try out to see which suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Decathlon wants more people to buy MTBs, particularly the RR 5x series than Riversides.
The Original series, on the other hand, is too comfort oriented, in my opinion.
A reason for that is more demand for MTBs, people here haven't really taken up to the Hybrids.

Yes Original is for leisure biking, offers maximum comfort. Can be used for fitness purposes as one can do 15-20kms easily on it. Advantage is that one sits straight on this bike as opposed to a crouched or an aggressive riding posture on MTBs. So riding becomes very relaxed & comfortable. Also it comes with a Gel saddle & the handle bar is very ergonomic, rear suspension means bumps are soaked nicely.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:54   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
So, I am a complete noob when it comes to the roadbike. Will be helpful, if you can give me pointers, so that I won't make any blunders.
Any more pointers guys?

Regarding pedals, shoes, etc?
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:21   #3109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Regarding pedals, shoes, etc?
There are two types of clipless pedals/shoes, SPD and SPD-SL.

SPD-SL pedals/shoes have a broader platform and are good for better power transfer. But at the same time it is very inconvenient to walk with these shoes. You will have to walk on the tip of the toe. Unless your goal is to race, I would not suggest these pedals.

SPD pedals/shoes are more convenient They provide the power transfer of a clipless pedal and at the same time let you walk normally. If you want to ride long distances and be able to get down and walk around normally - say to grab a cup of coffee or some food, then SPD is the way to go.

While selecting shoes, get the ones that have a stiff sole. Low cost shoes have softer soles which flex a lot while riding and are not great for long distances.
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:24   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

While selecting shoes, get the ones that have a stiff sole. Low cost shoes have softer soles which flex a lot while riding and are not great for long distances.
Thank you, I will go for SPD pedals from Shimano, IIRC it was 600 SEK, there was better one, in terms of finish which was 900 SEK. I will go for the cheaper one.

While selecting the shoes, I will select the one with stiffer sole.

Other accessories.

To buy with the bike
Saddle bag(?) to carry tools, spare tube.
Hand pump.

Future
Garmin 810 (will buy in September)
Mobile pouch, have seen one in the showroom, will post the picture once I get my bike.

Anything else, guys?

BTW, graaja, I remember you posting a picture of your bike before, that is what I have in my mind for my bike as well with regards to the accessories.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:27   #3111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anything else, guys?

BTW, graaja, I remember you posting a picture of your bike before, that is what I have in my mind for my bike as well with regards to the accessories.

Accessories list that I can think of.
  1. Helmet
  2. A pair of good gloves
  3. Goggles
  4. Bottle cage(s)
  5. Pump
  6. Saddle bag with multitool, tire lever, spare tube and puncture kit
  7. Tail light
  8. Headlight
  9. Optional top tube bag for energy bars, wallet, cell phone etc. This is useful for longer rides

BTW, another very important thing. Get a professional bike fit done, especially as you plan to ride with clipless pedals. This is very important to avoid pains and injuries on long rides.

Last edited by graaja : 3rd June 2016 at 17:28.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:38   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Accessories list that I can think of.
  1. Helmet
  2. A pair of good gloves
  3. Goggles
  4. Bottle cage(s)
  5. Pump
  6. Saddle bag with multitool, tire lever, spare tube and puncture kit
  7. Tail light
  8. Headlight
  9. Optional top tube bag for energy bars, wallet, cell phone etc. This is useful for longer rides
Always to the rescue.

Points noted.

Things in bold, I didn't think of, before.

BTW, already have an awesome headlamp, goggles and a good helmet.
Quote:
Not any more, got my self Sigma Speedster.

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd June 2016 at 17:52.
Old 3rd June 2016, 19:19   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anything else, guys?
I think graaja posted a comprehensive list. Only thing i will add to that is biking shorts and a biking jersey. The shorts have padding which is very important if you intend to go for rides longer than a few kilometers. And a biking jersey has pockets at the back to keep all the small stuff like wallet, phone etc.

Also, get a rear view mirror, if the bike doesn't come with one.
Old 3rd June 2016, 19:27   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think graaja posted a comprehensive list. Only thing i will add to that is biking shorts and a biking jersey. The shorts have padding which is very important if you intend to go for rides longer than a few kilometers. And a biking jersey has pockets at the back to keep all the small stuff like wallet, phone etc.

Also, get a rear view mirror, if the bike doesn't come with one.
Thank you, I will add those one as well.

I have a rear view mirror on my current bike and found it to be quite useful. Will get one for my roadie as well.

Guys, I need input on this, is it worth going for Intrepida ultegra over Impulso 105. There is a price difference of 8500 SEK, will there be any perceivable difference between the bike for an average rider like me. You get a full carbon bike and superior gear set, though.

My goal is to do 50 -100 Kilometer rides on weekends on a regular basis.

Will be more than happy if more guys can chip in with suggestions.

Planning to buy the bike next Saturday.

Graaja, I will be getting a professional bike fit done from the showroom, meanwhile, I will learn more about it, online.

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd June 2016 at 19:34.
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:09   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Just to make it easier for you guys.

Intrepida Vs Impulso
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:29   #3116
BHPian

I'd consider the cost to replace the cassettes, etc. in case you wear them out due to not changing chains on time. Also consider the cost of compatible chains.
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:40   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I'd consider the cost to replace the cassettes, etc. in case you wear them out due to not changing chains on time. Also consider the cost of compatible chains.
Okay.

Cost apart, how different are these bikes. I don't think it will make much of a difference for me. Correct me, if I am wrong.

I haven't ridden a roadie, till now. That is the reason for these stupid questions.

If there is a good difference between the bike, I don't mind spending the amount upfront.

Chain, cassettes, how often do we have to change, given it is maintained properly.

EDIT: Just noticed, you got a Bianchi, awesome. Can you provide a bit more information regarding service, change of chain, cassettes etc with respect to kilometers clocked

Last edited by ecenandu : 3rd June 2016 at 22:49.
Old 3rd June 2016, 23:05   #3118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Okay.

Cost apart, how different are these bikes. I don't think it will make much of a difference for me. Correct me, if I am wrong.

I haven't ridden a roadie, till now. That is the reason for these stupid questions.

If there is a good difference between the bike, I don't mind spending the amount upfront.

Chain, cassettes, how often do we have to change, given it is maintained properly.
Like Intenso, Intrepida is also a full carbon frame. A carbon frame absorbs the shocks very well and at the same time provides good stiffness. A carbon frame makes a huge difference in ride quality over alloy frame. So if you can afford, then definitely go for a full carbon frame bike, as it saves the upgrade later.

Regarding chain life, if you maintain the chain well - clean and lubricate say every 200kms, the chain should give you a life of 3000 km. If you properly inspect the chain and change it in time, you can expect the cassette to last 3 chains - close to 10000 km.
Old 3rd June 2016, 23:49   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... A carbon frame makes a huge difference in ride quality over alloy frame.

Regarding chain life, if you maintain the chain well - clean and lubricate say every 200kms, the chain should give you a life of 3000 km. If you properly inspect the chain and change it in time, you can expect the cassette to last 3 chains - close to 10000 km.
Thank you. .

Intenso is another 3000 SEK @ 26,000. Intrepida is 23,000 and Intenso 14,500.

I believe there is difference in carbon construction between Intenso and Intrepida. I remember the sales guy telling me something about that.

If I go for Intrepida, stages power meter have to wait .

Okay here is the plan for next Saturday.

Bianchi Intrepida Ultegra+
  • Jacket, shorts
  • Saddle bag
  • Tools and spares
  • Rear view mirror
  • Gloves
  • Bottle cage, I believe one will come with the bike, need to check.
  • Pedal and shoes (free with the bike).
  • Pump

Future
  • Garmin 810 performance bundle (by September '16)
  • Stages power meter (by March '17)

Last edited by ecenandu : 4th June 2016 at 00:09.
Old 4th June 2016, 01:01   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Its available in Amsterdam as of now. Batteries are cleverly concealed in the pipes, giving additional pedal power and the cycle is SMART with location assist/locking etc. Google it.
I had been to Amsterdam a few days ago. If only I had known, I would have dropped by at the showroom for a test ride. It's quite pricey though. Went through their website.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks