Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 19:12   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I am going to Vermont over the 4th July weekend. I am hoping that at least one day during the weekend, weather will be good. I plan to cover this route on my bike:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/435333

It is a 65 mile loop with a total elevation gain of around 3700 feet. Past weekend i covered 30 miles non stop, averaging 17.6 mph, although elevation gain was around 1000 feet only. I feel I should be able to do this loop, with a couple of stops thrown in. It will be fun! I hope!!
Old 14th June 2016, 21:58   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am going to Vermont over the 4th July weekend. I am hoping that at least one day during the weekend, weather will be good. I plan to cover this route on my bike:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/435333

It is a 65 mile loop with a total elevation gain of around 3700 feet. Past weekend i covered 30 miles non stop, averaging 17.6 mph, although elevation gain was around 1000 feet only. I feel I should be able to do this loop, with a couple of stops thrown in. It will be fun! I hope!!
Awesome, do update us after the ride. Looks like you are well prepared for the ride, all the best.
Old 14th June 2016, 22:47   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Awesome, do update us after the ride. Looks like you are well prepared for the ride, all the best.
Thanks! Will surely do. Been a while since i created a thread on tbhp anyway
Old 19th June 2016, 14:45   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Ok, just went through the tyre sidewall and it mentions max tyre pressure to be 50 PSI. But, what I didn't get is the wording next to that, Max load 70 Kg's.

Bloody hell, am I missing something coz I weigh 85 kg's. For Sure the weight distribution does not happen evenly on front and back tyres. The rear does take most of the load.

I use 50 PSI on my MTB and i weigh 75 Kgs. you are in the green zone; me thinks so!
Old 19th June 2016, 23:20   #3155
BHPian

I am looking for rain jacket which i can use when i go office in cycle. I don't use cycle when rains heavy. The jacket should be enough to manage drizzling. I don't need the trouser part, need only the jacket with hood. Also looking for the one which comes with the attached folding bag. Any suggestions?
Old 20th June 2016, 00:36   #3156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am looking for rain jacket which i can use when i go office in cycle. I don't use cycle when rains heavy. The jacket should be enough to manage drizzling. I don't need the trouser part, need only the jacket with hood. Also looking for the one which comes with the attached folding bag. Any suggestions?
I just picked up a rain poncho from decathlon (ot need to stop going to decathlon. Land up buying too much junk). Will test in the rain tomorrow and update you folks here.

It has a separate (not attached) folding bag. Cost me 299/. Also bought a bell for 249 and a helmet for 1499 in bright orange.
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:56   #3157
BHPian

Team,

I want to buy my first Bicycle to ride around the campus (gated community apartment). The primary goal is weight loss without the trauma to my weak knee as it may not withstand running.

What do I start with - Firefox or B-Twin at Decathlon? I guess the first buy would be without any gears or disk brakes so something simple and beginners level that you can recommend?
Old 3rd July 2016, 15:09   #3158
BHPian

I read that you have a weak knee, which means that you need a biker with adequate gears. With gears, you can choose the required combination so that there is no stress on your knee. Check Sheldonbrown.com for more information.

Coming to bike, it depends how much you want to spend and how long you want to own it.
Old 3rd July 2016, 15:48   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
The primary goal is weight loss
Old 5th July 2016, 23:59   #3160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the ride on Sunday
https://www.strava.com/activities/629088407

Took me a total of 5 hr 15 minutes out of which 4.5 hours were spent on the saddle! This is surely the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. 65 miles of riding with varying elevations was quite a challenge. The nearly 7.6 miles of climb from Jeffersonville to Smugglers Notch literally had me in tears! I had to stop a couple of times just to catch my breath!

I didnt take any pictures though. That's mainly the reason why I didnt start a thread about it.
Old 7th July 2016, 20:47   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome, buddy.

Good speed as well. Did you do the ride solo? I always find it exhausting when I do solo rides not so much if I tag along with my buddies.
Old 7th July 2016, 21:22   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome, buddy.

Good speed as well. Did you do the ride solo? I always find it exhausting when I do solo rides not so much if I tag along with my buddies.
Thanks!

Yes it was a solo ride. I am not that regular yet on the group rides organized by the local bike shop here. Maybe once I am, I will find out about other such group rides.

The problem is that I am slower than road bikes and faster than hybrids. Middle of nowhere.
Old 7th July 2016, 21:42   #3163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The problem is that I am slower than road bikes and faster than hybrids. Middle of nowhere.
Get a roadbike, problem solved .
Old 8th July 2016, 11:04   #3164
BHPian

Guys, team-bhp member @opendro just completed the Trans Am 2016 long distance 4270 miles ride across America: http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Apparently, he's the first Indian to take part and complete it, that too on a basic bike.
Old 8th July 2016, 19:06   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Guys, team-bhp member @opendro just completed the Trans Am 2016 long distance 4270 miles ride across America: http://trackleaders.com/transam16

Apparently, he's the first Indian to take part and complete it, that too on a basic bike.
That is an awesome achievement! Total Respect. Hats off to Opendro for making us proud!
If anyone wants more details about this race, they should watch Inspired to Ride. It is available on Netflix.
Thanks for sharing the news.

Most Viewed