Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 13:46   #3436
Distinguished - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
That's a beautiful bicycle Jeroen. Just a thought, the saddle looks a bit out of place on such a beautiful bicycle. Not used to seeing similar one on all these expensive bikes.

I don't like any of these sports and or gel saddles. This is a proper old school leather, dual sprung, Brooks saddle. It takes quite a while to 'break in' these saddles. But eventually they mould perfectly to your butt. Need a bit of maintenance every few months, special wax and you need to tighten it now and then. These saddles, once properly broken in can't be beaten for ultimate rider comfort. They are not cheap. In fact these saddles are quite expensive!

I have another bicycle which is my run around town old beaten up bike. It also has a Brooks saddle. That one is well over thirty years old. Other then it looks aged it is identical to the one I bought some 6 months ago and is now fitted to my new bike. Perfect design, no changes required!

I never understand how anybody can ride on those racing cycles. Just looking at them makes me have saddle pain. Each to its own, at my age it's always comfort over just about anything else.

On short easy rides, anything up to 50km/2 hours I wouldn't wear any special cycle clothes, just jeans or whatever I happen to be wearing. Only for longer and or fast rides would I dress up. So the bike and the saddle needs to be comfortable whatever I wear. The Brooks saddle does the job. It's an old British firm, old school hand Made. Although I don't think they are made in the UK anymore. Brooks was bought by an Italian firm some years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_England

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_row

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 13th August 2017 at 13:47.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 19:51   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Upgraded from a Scott Speedster 30 alloy frame road bike to a Scott Solace 10 full carbon frame road bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

So now I’m the proud owner of a brand spanking new Koga Signature bicycle. I think it looks gorgeous! Thirty gears, (3x10). LED lights front and rear with a fancy dynamo built into the front wheel. Hydraulic brakes.
Those are some beautiful bikes! Congratulations Graaja and Jeroen. Wish you many happy miles on your new rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
After an hour or so, I decided to peddle home. Very leisurely I made my way home. About 400 meters from our home there is what is known as a bus sluice. A special construction that allows busses to pass through, but not regular cars. Bicycles can pass on both sides too. I must have passed this particular one a couple of thousand times. For some reason, I must have not been watching. I managed to hit a pole on the side of the sluice exactly dead on.

Ouch. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Last week, while on my way home from work, I crashed. I was pushing for my highest ever average speed on my commute. I was already doing 18.7mph 14 miles into my 17.5 mile. So, I knew I was going to hit my goal, previous best being 18.5mph. I was on a straight, flat piece of road, with no head winds. So, I was resting my arms near the center on my flat bar, had my head down but looking up to reduce wind resistance and was pedaling along when a car crossed me a bit too close. I veered to the right (this being US) but went too right and went off the road. Before I could reach the brakes, the handle turned 90 degrees and next thing I knew I was flying off the bike. Landed on my right hand, bounced and slid along the road on my left side.
Next step was to do damage assessment. Sat up, checked my right hand. I was able to move my fingers and make a fist. That was good. Looked on my left side and there were scrapes on my shoulder, elbow, waist and knee. Basically all the joints. Ugh. Tried to get up but my right calf cramped up. So, waited there for a few minutes. Meanwhile, quite a few people stopped and asked whether I needed a ride. I told them i was ok to ride home.
So, after a few minutes, got up, put the chain back on the front ring, got on the bike, and rode home.
Washed up and went to Immediate Care basically to get my right hand checked up. X ray confirmed nothing was broken.
So, they bandaged me up and sent me home.
Been off the bike for more than a week now :(
Next week hope to get back on it.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:50   #3438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Those are some beautiful bikes! Congratulations Graaja and Jeroen. Wish you many happy miles on your new rides.
Thank you for the wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Last week, while on my way home from work, I crashed...
Next week hope to get back on it.
Just yesterday, I was wondering why I have not been seeing your commute ride updates on Strava the past few days (missed the crash ride due to travel, saw it after reading this post). Really sorry to hear about the accident. But very glad to know that you you came unhurt from the incident. Wishing you a speedy recovery and back on the saddle soon.

BTW, maybe you have hit your max with the hybrid bike. Maybe it is time to move on to road bike that gives you a naturally closed ride position that reduces drag and increase your average speed. Just a thought
Old 27th August 2017, 19:28   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery and back on the saddle soon.

BTW, maybe you have hit your max with the hybrid bike. Maybe it is time to move on to road bike that gives you a naturally closed ride position that reduces drag and increase your average speed. Just a thought
Thanks!

I do have a Bianchi Campione in the garage as well, which is a road bike with drop bars, although it is only 10 speed. I have been taking it out over the weekends just to get the hang of it.
But I will probably stick to the hybrid Sirrus for commutes, mainly because of the fenders. Maybe just not push it that much
Old 9th September 2017, 19:31   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Back in the saddle. Took advantage of long weekend last weekend and went out on a ride for the first time since my crash on the 17th.
Also went to work 3 times this week on my bike.
Yesterday I took the Bianchi Campione to work. Being 10 pounds lighter than my Specialized Sirrus, it made climbing a little easier, though sacrificed top speed a little. Still, it was a nice ride.

Also, I cleaned up the chain on the Sirrus and applied ChainL lube. What a world of difference it has made. The chain is absolutely silent now! On the downside, I can hear every other squeak and rattle
Old 11th September 2017, 20:02   #3441

Hi People

Need some advise for buying a bike. I am planning to start cycling ASAP which would mainly be in the mornings/ evenings for around 10-20 km everyday.

I visited Decathalon the sales guy advised me to go with Rockrider 520 which I rode and found it good, then I visited Firefox dealer who advised to go with a narrow tire cycle.

I am confused which one to get MTB, hybrid, etc. Basically I have never ridden a multiple geared bike it was always a fixed one, so I am in a dilemma which one should I go for.

My ride would be mostly paved roads (looking at Mumbai roads it would be part off-roading ).

Budget would be around 15-20 and can extend if its needed.

BNeing a beginner don't know whether I should go for pricier models or start with basic and then upgrade later.

My Stats:
  • age 43
  • height 6.1 feet
  • weigh around 85 kgs
  • my inseam is 33 inches
I am looking for a long term commitment so please give some advise on this.

Vishal

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:01. Reason: Typos. LIST added.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:39   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Been riding a Scott Aspect for a year now. The brand, along with Giant and Specialized, is really popular in Dubai. The bike is really nimble with the Schwalbe tyres providing exceptional grip on all surfaces. Plan to pick up a new ride so shipped this to Bangalore, where it will meet completely different terrain.

For future replacements, are Schwalbe tyres available in India? Just checking.

The Bicycles thread-scott-aspect-crop.png

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:02. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 12th September 2017, 07:47   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Ya, Schwalbe tyres are available in india. using it on my Giant Talon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For future replacements, are Schwalbe tyres available in India? Just checking.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:13   #3444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
... so shipped this to Bangalore ...
Hello, Could you give some details on how you went about doing this ?

Was your bike shipped in a hard-case or a bike bag ?

And were there any problems due to the shipment ?

Have a Scott & a Pinarello wasting away at home back in Chennai & have been thinking about shipping them to where I'am now.

P.S. - Would also be grateful for any feedback on BikeBoxAlan

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th September 2017 at 12:43. Reason: Added spaces. Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 10:20   #3445
BHPian

Kindly suggest a 26er MTB with hydraulic disc brake setup. The 26 inch hard requirement is because I have access to 26 inch schwalbe winter studded tires that I want to use on an upcoming ride. The hydraulic setup needed as I felt the mechanical setup on my previous ride prone to fadeout and lack of bite after a couple of downhill kilometres.

The rest can be mid to high end derailleurs, rapid shifters a plus. 100 to 120 mm travel is fine.
With the market shifting towards 27.5 and 29 setups this niche requirement of mine is becoming hard to find.
Any help/guidance would be really helpful.

Attaching a couple of pictures from my last ride.
The Bicycles thread-17097202_1542289595811333_51483739667115067_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-16487238_10155041844127878_5855406480599546619_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17097652_1541023459271280_7022352568674867717_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17157521_1546181635422129_3789014350390120170_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-17359000_1568119356561690_504698785519755431_o.jpg

A short video of a downhill section

trance_nut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 10:57   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Hi, the new bike came in a box, but I didn't have space for it and had given it away. This bike was secured with thick cardboard and electronics grade thermacol, which is of higher density and doesn't shred, at key areas. They put a bubble wrap and plastic wrap over it. But you will have to disassemble the bike surely.

Scott Aspect is 10 kilos heavier than my other bike a GiantSCR2, at 16 KG, so weight isnt in its favour. Only once the cycle is received in Bangalore, 20-30 days, will I be able to tell you if this is indeed a great way to ship. But. if you do have a sturdy bike box, go for it. I've had Thule for a while and its the best. Look out for it.

Good luck mate.
Old 24th September 2017, 11:39   #3447

Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. I loved cycling back in my school days and I want to start with it so that I can stay fit and healthy.
Going to the gym daily is not my cup of tea. Music+running/biking is what I love. Please advice a good bike which is comfortable for riding 1-2 hours in city and on highways. Also, an option which can be updated with time with new features, etc. if any, possible would be preferred.
I have zero knowledge right now on the same. Just saw the Btwin's at Decathlon yesterday. Quite liked the Hybrid Riverside 120 after having a ride. But I don't want to make any purchase without asking the experts here. One last point. I really keep my gadgets/cars/bikes for really long long time. So looking for something which is really that good in its segment. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 24th September 2017, 15:07   #3448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. ... Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately have to repeat the most repeated advice on this forum - do a search

Just browse through this thread - last 5-6 pages itself should give you options. This query of yours and the suggestive price point is a common question repeatedly asked by so many; should give you a sufficient start on options to be looked at.
Old 24th September 2017, 22:32   #3449
BHPian

Hey guys,

This is my first post in this thread as I've turned into a passionate cyclist just recently.

Just a small query to all the cyclists here.

My brake pads have worn out within a month of replacing them. (yes, you heard it right, Within a month ) I would like to hear your suggestions regarding some good quality brake pads as its monsoon time and you've got high chances of brake failure. Another reason being that it's my daily ride to school and then to coaching centre which covers a total of 20 km in a day.

I want brake pads which neither cost a bomb, nor are as cheap as a Chinese product. I just want pads which are reliable and don't get worn out soon.

Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
karthi.stark
Old 25th September 2017, 12:10   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Hi,
I am planning to get myself a bicycle today. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
I had the same requirements and similar budget as you , few months back
I went and picked up a Montra Trance hybrid bike. It is perfect for my riding needs. Light frame, non-disc brakes, 16 speed.

I say it was perfect for me since like you I wanted a bike for keeping fit basically and then for some small rides. This does both.
I have had it for almost 5 months now and I use it during weekends mainly. I got it 14k and I would say it was a steal.

I would have loved some much more expensive bikes that I saw in the shop, but it would have been like buying a Harley Davidson to use to the shop and gym.

Most Viewed