Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 23:29   #3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I would have loved some much more expensive bikes that I saw in the shop, but it would have been like buying a Harley Davidson to use to the shop and gym.
Thanks for your advice. I got the Firefox Rapide. Really loved everything about it. Attached here its picture with my 13 year old love Karizma .

The Bicycles thread-1506362334086.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:06. Reason: Quote trimmed. Picture inserted in-line.
Old 26th September 2017, 11:09   #3452
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Thanks for your advice. I got the Firefox Rapide. Really loved everything about it. Attached here its picture with my 13 year old love Karizma .
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great.

The seat looks too low. Set the height such that your legs have a very slight bend when you reach the full downward stroke of the pedals. If the knees are too bent at the lowest point of the pedals, this could cause injury to the knees.
Old 26th September 2017, 13:45   #3453

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great.

The seat looks too low. Set the height such that your legs have a very slight bend when you reach the full downward stroke of the pedals. If the knees are too bent at the lowest point of the pedals, this could cause injury to the knees.
Thanks man! Sure I will do as you said. Appreciate your effort and great advice. Rode today after 15 years for like 7KMs and absolutely loved it. Hope I can continue daily and increase the miles.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:37   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post

A short video of a downhill section
The video is good. Saw the camera mounted on the helmet in previous image. Which is the camera used for the video?
Old 12th October 2017, 09:39   #3455
BHPian

All - I am really excited as I recently acquired a new road bike. This is in addition to a MTB and a fixed gear bike that I ride.

It is a Giant Contend SL1 disc. It has the Shimano 105 group set with a carbon fork and a carbon seat post. The bike weighs at 10 KGs with all the accessories in place. The ride has been good till now, have covered some 250 odd KMs already.

Here is a picture -

The Bicycles thread-img_20171008_080004.jpg
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:01   #3456
BHPian

Hi, Wanted a bike to help me get started with cycling. Budget <15k (I'm a fresher). I'll be mostly using the bike for early morning fitness rides on paved surface. Would also like to explore some places during weekends with mud tracks (nothing extreme).

With next to zero knowledge about bicycles, started reading up on the type of bikes.

Following are the bikes shortlisted:
City/commuter type
  • Mach City iBike (geared)
  • Rockrider 300
MTB
  1. Rockrider 340
  2. Montra Madrock
Hybrid
  • Btwin Riverside 120
  • Montra downtown
  1. Is hydrid cycle most suite for my needs? Or should I go in for a MTB?
  2. Do the MTBs listed have very aggressive tire thread which would hinder riding on paved surface?
  3. Are there any other better alternatives at this price range?
  4. Is Riverside 120 not a popular buy? On the decathlon website I don't see any reviews for it. Also Google is of not much help either. Don't have a Decathlon here to go check out the bike in person.
Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Quite liked the Hybrid Riverside 120 after having a ride. But i don't want to make any purchase without asking the experts here. One last point. I really keep my gadgets/cars/bikes for really long long time. So looking for something which is really that good in its segment. Budget 10-20K. Thanks in advance!
How's the Riverside 120? I'm kind of liking the simplicity of it.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:10. Reason: Spacing, typos. LIST added.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:45   #3457
BHPian

Hi all,

Can across this great thread today just at the right time!

I am looking at a bicycle under 20k that my 12 year old son and me (height 6'0") could comfortably use. It will be mostly used as a short commute (<5km on potholed city roads) plus leisure plus exercise bike. The past weekend study had led me to believe that a hybrid bike would suit us the most. But my son, being at the age he is, is enamoured with features and has given this list:
  1. Atleast front suspension, if not full suspension
  2. Disc brake preferable
  3. Gears are a must
  4. Comfortable cushioned seat
  5. Bottle holder
Now my question to you experienced folks: how important is full/front suspension and disc brakes? And I assume adding adding accessories such as better seats and bottle holders should be straight forward.

I have checked B'twin Rockrider over the weekend and the 26" wheels with mid-frame (do not remember the actual size) is comfortable for both. I intend to check Shnell, Montra, Firefox over the next few weekends. Are there any other recommended brands? And any items that I should lookout for when I take a test ride?

Any guidance/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Prasad
Old 6th November 2017, 13:28   #3458
BHPian

Given your height and your son's age, one bike will not fit you both. It will be either very small for you or very big for your son.
1. If you are buying and MTB, you can consider front suspension. Full suspension is for bikes that are used to decent or down hill biking.
2. Yes, disc breaks are good.
3. Gears - yes they help you climb ...
4. Seat should never be cushioned. They are supposed to be hard and you need to get used to riding and then it will not matter.
5. Yes, you can go for two bottle holders in case you are riding long distance.
Old 6th November 2017, 15:56   #3459
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs. Duly noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Given your height and your son's age, one bike will not fit you both. It will be either very small for you or very big for your son.
My son is 5'1". We had to adjust the seat height (which was a breeze on B'twin rockrider), but both were comfortable. Yes, he had to use the lowest setting though.

Quote:
1. If you are buying and MTB, you can consider front suspension. Full suspension is for bikes that are used to decent or down hill biking.
I would prefer a hybrid with thinner tyres than the MTB. And hybrids seems to be available with front suspensions. So might just go for that.

Quote:
4. Seat should never be cushioned. They are supposed to be hard and you need to get used to riding and then it will not matter.
Could not understand this point. Any particular reason for this?

Thanks,
Prasad
Old 6th November 2017, 16:12   #3460
BHPian

For all your questions regarding the saddle and expert advice, read http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html.

Coming to frame size, its not just vertical, it is also horizontal reach that needs to be considered. Am sure that you will find all the information you need in http://www.sheldonbrown.com.
Old 16th November 2017, 13:44   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
You cannot deny buying this bike after having one look at this beauty. Presenting the Montra Fixie for your viewing pleasure.

Already covered 100 KMs on it and it is just a dream to ride. I have been riding a mountain bike for the past 2 years and this came as a welcome change.
Looks absolutely smashing ... Thanks for sharing

I know this post is from March (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4167074),

I am considering buying a beginner bicycle, mostly for road.
I am curious about this bike, Looks the best IMO.

Can you please share your ownership experience ? How easy it is to ride ? How heavy/light it is?

Also other queries that I have are,
1. It is currently priced at 14K online, I get a Btwin RR 340, 21 gears for that price.

Is there something special about the frame or the wheels that makes it cost the exact same as the Btwin having 21 gears and aluminium alloy frame & front suspension?

I don't mean to offend with that question I tried searching but didn't find the answer.

2. If I get tired of the fixed cog and want to add gears, would it be an impractical or costly affair ? (Or better to get a completely new bike then ?)

- Slick

PS - If someone else has some information please feel free to share

Last edited by Slick : 16th November 2017 at 13:52.
Old 16th November 2017, 14:31   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
1. It is currently priced at 14K online, I get a Btwin RR 340, 21 gears for that price.

Is there something special about the frame or the wheels that makes it cost the exact same as the Btwin having 21 gears and aluminium alloy frame & front suspension?
Your questions are valid indeed. Firstly, B'twin prices its bicycles very low, in fact, I have no idea how they manage it, given the quality of components they offer. Maybe bulk purchases of last year model stock.

I have checked the information that Montra provides about the Fixie, and there is no information about the steel used in the frame or the weight of the frame / bicycle.

I would imagine this is some basic Chrome moly steel. Any branded steel would make this price of 14k unviable.

Wheels, I could not make out the brand from the logo. Generally road bike wheels (700c) are light and strong. Given this price tag, I would expect strong, rather than particularly light. But then, for a fixie, ridden over shortish distances in an urban setting, lightness is not a key requirement.

If you look carefully at the rear wheel, there are no dropouts, but fork ends. The frames that accommodate gears are built with a derailleur hanger. This frame on the other hand is built for a single freewheel/cog and the wheel can be removed or fit in very conveniently. The flip side is that derailleurs are not easy to fit even with a derailleur hanger. The chain stays are set closer together where the hub is single speed. They can be pulled apart to fit multi speed hubs, but the derailleur fitting may be a hit and miss experience.

EDIT: About the weight of the bicycle, I would expect it to come to about 10-11 kgs. Steel frame would add to the weight while the lack of derailleurs and fat tires would reduce.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:11. Reason: Adding more information. EDIT: Quote trimmed.
Old 16th November 2017, 14:54   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
I know this post is from March
Not used a Montra before and hence cannot comment.

Quote:

Is there something special about the frame or the wheels that makes it cost the exact same as the Btwin having 21 gears and aluminum alloy frame & front suspension?
BTwin makes absolutely value for money products and they have their own manufacturing unit and hence they can price their bikes quite aggressively. I have a BTwin RockRider 5.2 from 2009 and its worth every bit that I paid for. I have friends who own RR340 and are very happy with the bike.

Quote:
2. If I get tired of the fixed cog and want to add gears, would it be an impractical or costly affair ? (Or better to get a completely new bike then ?)
For a fixed gear bike, I think you cannot add gears as the frame wouldn't support that. I need to check the frame to see if there is a provision to add a rear and front derailleur.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:12. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:54   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
Not used a Montra before and hence cannot comment.

BTwin makes absolutely value for money products and they have their own manufacturing unit and hence they can price their bikes quite aggressively...

For a fixed gear bike, I think you cannot add gears as the frame wouldn't support that...
Thank You for clearing that out, that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post

I would imagine this is some basic Chrome moly steel. Any branded steel would make this price of 14k unviable ...

EDIT: About the weight of the bicycle, I would expect it to come to about 10-11 kgs. Steel frame would add to the weight while the lack of derailleurs and fat tires would reduce....
Thanks @prabuddhadg,

For clearing both points.

I think I will stay away from that bike as I am sure I will be needing gears as I ride more, pity really as the bike looks lovely, though will be sure to take a TD if I come across one at a dealer.

I also liked the La Sovereign HYBRID BACKBONE 21 SPEED, La Cheetah & Btwin RR 340.

Backbone being hybrid & Cheetah being road would be lighter one assumes.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 16th November 2017 at 17:06.
Old 17th November 2017, 05:39   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
I also liked the La Sovereign HYBRID BACKBONE 21 SPEED, La Cheetah & Btwin RR 340.

Backbone being hybrid & Cheetah being road would be lighter one assumes.

- Slick
You need to understand the pros and cons of MTB Vs Hybrid Vs Road before making any purchase decision. The weight difference between and MTB and Road is about 3.5-4.5 kgs (depending on the brand). The weight is mainly from the rims and the tires.

That said, MTB and Hybrid does come with front suspension where as, road doesn't. You need to really get used to riding a road bike as it transmits all the shocks from the road to your hands and shoulders. Even the saddles are quite different for MTB and Road bikes.

Moreover, you need to be really careful where you ride as it is very easy to hit flats in a road bike as they have very high tire pressure (around 100 psi).

If you have access to Decathlon, then you should try them out and then decide to buy a brand that you are comfortable with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks