Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:50   #3571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. Bike looks awesome and Scott bikes are very well built. My present road bike (and the previous one as well) is a Scott. Wishing you thousands of miles of rides and fitness in the new bike

PS: You could plan for duathlons now!

Thanks! Yes, well built and beautifully finished in deed - can't take my eyes off. Good to know you also have Scott! Yes, duathlons are very much on the cards now
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:57   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Not every cyclist gets Hernia. but always good to listen to the doctor. Does he advise you not to cycle for the rest of your life or just for a few months?
The doctor advised me to refrain from cycling for couple of months. But, I'm really skeptical if I would end up getting the same problem if I start cycling. So, I wanted to seek help from BHP'ians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. Did you have any major issue in riding the bike? Any major discomfort?
No, not during cycling. But, once I keep standing for some time, I used to have discomfort on the left lower abdomen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
b. Did you have any hernia symptoms before the surgery? Did you feel them getting aggravated while cycling? It may well be that it worsened existing symptoms.
I believe hernia got aggravated due to cycling. As I have mentioned above that I used have mild pain in the lower abdomen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
But I'm a layman - what did your doctor specifically diagnose for you?
No cycling for couple of months. It's been more than a year I stopped cycling. Now, I would like to start again. So, seeking assistance from BHP'ians.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 22:35. Reason: No replies within quotes please. Thanks!
Old 24th April 2018, 19:06   #3573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
The doctor advised me to refrain from cycling for couple of months. But, I'm really skeptical if I would end up getting the same problem if I start cycling. So, I wanted to seek help from BHP'ians.
My suggestion would be to follow his advice, start cycling slowly and only for short distances after the doc gives you a go ahead and see if the symptoms come back again. Everyone's body is different and case history is very important so stick to the Dr's advice, in your case it's just a couple of months of wait. Hope you will get back to cycling after the rest period.
Old 25th April 2018, 12:02   #3574
Distinguished - BHPian

10k on Scott Metrix 10

10k on Scott Metrix 10 this morning.
9th km is a killer incline (for my current fitness )

The Bicycles thread-10k_24min.jpg

The Bicycles thread-10k_24min_elevation.jpg

Cheers!
Old 27th April 2018, 10:05   #3575
BHPian

I am 40 and ride a Schwinn SuperSport 3 and extremely happy with it. I want to buy a hardtail to tackle the Bangalore potholes and also do some light off-roading on weekends.

I am swayed towards Trek Marlin 7 2018 OR SuperFly 5 2016 (on Sale 25% off). People tell me that Trek have very high quality frames and also decent components.

However another 2 bikes in consideration - Scott Scale 970 or a Merida Big.Nine. Specialized Rockhopper Comp/Expert is not available at local dealer in Bangalore in my size.

Please advice on whether to stick to Trek or try out Scott/Merida. Budget around 75K. Can stretch by a a bit
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:54   #3576
BANNED

Hey guys,

Would anyone be kind enough to guide me to any content that emphasises on safety measures that need to be taken while cycle-commuting in KERALA(Roads without cyclist lane)/India.

Thanks,
A.P
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:04   #3577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I am 40 and ride a Schwinn SuperSport 3 and extremely happy with it. I want to buy a hardtail to tackle the Bangalore potholes and also do some light off-roading on weekends.

I am swayed towards Trek Marlin 7 2018 OR SuperFly 5 2016 (on Sale 25% off). People tell me that Trek have very high quality frames and also decent components.

However another 2 bikes in consideration - Scott Scale 970 or a Merida Big.Nine. Specialized Rockhopper Comp/Expert is not available at local dealer in Bangalore in my size.
Do you just need front suspension? If so, Montra Blues 1.2D is an excellent option - it has front suspension (lockable) and mechanical disc brakes.
What is it that your current Schwinn SuperSport 3 (or Montra 1.2) can't do that the bikes you have short-listed would be able to do? Just trying to understand.
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:31   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Do you just need front suspension? If so, Montra Blues 1.2D is an excellent option - it has front suspension (lockable) and mechanical disc brakes.
What is it that your current Schwinn SuperSport 3 (or Montra 1.2) can't do that the bikes you have short-listed would be able to do? Just trying to understand.
hyper-VTECH wants to do some off-roading so he is looking for bike frame that can take a bigger/wider tire and wheels, longer suspension travel and better components like crank, wider gear options, better brakes etc.. These are available on the ones he shortlisted.
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:31   #3579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
hyper-VTECH wants to do some off-roading so he is looking for bike frame that can take a bigger/wider tire and wheels, longer suspension travel and better components like crank, wider gear options, better brakes etc.. These are available on the ones he shortlisted.
He mentioned "light" offroading, which Montra 1.2 D can surely do. But then "light" can be subjective. If a good MTB is the need, they are available from 15k onwards. A friend has Schnell Fang - I rode it. Very nice MTB with front suspension, 52B tyres, mechanical disc brakes and decent gears (Tourney). He bought it for 17k a year ago.

Hero ET2 seems a good one too. INR 28K and very wide gearing 48:11 and 20:32. Tourney groupset and mechanical disc brakes
https://herocycles.com/product/219/ET-2

Hero ET3 has slightly narrow gearing 40:11, 22:34 but still excellent for climbing. This one has hydraulic disc brakes and Acera groupset. INR37K.
https://herocycles.com/product/220/ET-3

Lots of reasonably priced and well spec'ed options when it comes to MTBs.

EDIT: Montra has a good MTB range as well:
https://montra.in/mountain-bikes/rock-4-1-29-2018/

Last edited by anandpadhye : 3rd May 2018 at 10:39.
Old 3rd May 2018, 19:15   #3580
BHPian

I bought a basic mountain bicycle with gears from Decathlon. Which is the best oil for lubricating/cleaning the chain and other rotating components? I saw a reference to bikeszone.com forum in one of the posts here but I cannot access it

Last edited by mohan41 : 3rd May 2018 at 19:23.
Old 4th May 2018, 10:58   #3581
BHPian

Many brands available in the market like Muc-off, Squirt, Zefal etc,the basic two types of oil wet & dry to be used according to the weather conditions but I prefer to use a dry lube throughout the year as it keeps the drive-train cleaner than the wet one but then you need to lube more often during rains. The brand I use is squirt.

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2018 at 20:11. Reason: Typos.
Old 4th May 2018, 11:26   #3582
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 11k is a very good price for the given specs! What's the weight of the bike?
Well I luckily happen to notice the bike weight on the box 16.6kgs. (pretty heavy I guess). I saw most of the bike makers at entry level do not mention the weight. Attaching it's pic.

Guys, I would like to know the ideal way to carry this bike on a road trip. I am looking for a decent cycle hanger but necessarily an expensive one. I have an XUV 500 and my summer road trip starts in 14 days! I will be carrying my son's 18" decathlon cycle as well. The idea is to do hill climb, downhill ride and beach ride during the trip just to add some more fun into our road trip.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180416_214421.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 22:36. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Typos.
Old 7th May 2018, 19:54   #3583
BANNED

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1525702921.541936.jpg

Spotted this beauty in my hometown, it's a Raleigh and inspite of the age it comes with a speedometer.

Do share specifics if you know better.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 00:10   #3584
BHPian

Guys, is there any single-mode multiple-gears MTB under 25K with 27.5" wheels?

Test rode BTwin Rockrider 520, liked it, bought it but found some issues in gears of my particular piece so returned it.

Test rode Fomus, Montra madrock,Rock 1.0D, Firefox, Hero Octane, Hercules, Huge and few others before buying the BTwin which felt better during test ride. But ended up with a cycle with faulty gear set when bought.

Now again in the market looking for MTB. Fed up of Multiple modes, would prefer single mode. If not, then don't feel to spend above 20K for these impractical cheap gear sets.

How is the Montra Rock 4.1 2017 model compered to the Rock 1.0D and Madrock?

Also considering Merida Seven Big 20. How are cycle in Matts series of Merida.

Please help, want to finalise within this week.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:48   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks, one good friend of mine, who is a cycling enthusiast is helping me choose the right bike. He is hell bent on the Cosmic Air. One of his close friends got it recently for around 17K & it is very light weight (around 7-8 kilos). Does anyone here have any feedback/experience regarding this bike?

Most Viewed