Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 10:37   #3661
BHPian

Do we really need Fitbit or other devices to read calories in strava?
Old 19th June 2018, 10:51   #3662
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Do we really need Fitbit or other devices to read calories in strava?
Depends on how accurate an estimate you want. If you just use Strava app on your mobile and track your rides, the app will estimate calories based on your weight, speed and duration. But there could be large errors in the accuracy as the app will not be able to judge the actual effort you put in.

Heart rate data provides a very accurate indication of how much effort you put into a ride and hence calorie calculations will be much more accurate. So when you use Fitbit or a hear rate monitor paired to your cell phone, or a GPS watch paired to a heart rate monitor, all these combinations will give you accurate calories.

If you just want a ball park number of calories spent, all you need is the Strava app on your phone, you bicycle and yourself
Old 19th June 2018, 11:47   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you just want a ball park number of calories spent, all you need is the Strava app on your phone, you bicycle and yourself
Thank you very much. I get it. I can buy external devices if required. Today is the first day of cycling. I am able to see speed, distance and time. But I am unable to find the calories burned in the app. Am I missing something?

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 23:31. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 19th June 2018, 18:07   #3664
BHPian

Have been meaning to ask this question for quite sometime but never got to it. Finally decided that I should post it!!

I have a herniated disc in C5/6 region. At one point in time, around 3 years back it was very serious and I had to wear a collar for over a year. Now things are a little better.

I have been thinking of starting to ride a bicycle for fitness and physical activity, which has taken a back seat due to the IT industry I am in. Another motivator for me is that my son will be turning 8 this year and I would love to go on bicycle rides with him.

So, after this small background, what I would like to know is : is it advisable to ride a bicycle given my herniated disc? My doctor has advised against it saying that the jerks I might get by riding can aggravated my disc condition. However, just sitting at my office chair and doing absolutely zero physical activity is not helping either.

Suggestions and experiences are highly appreciated!!
Old 19th June 2018, 20:07   #3665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Have been meaning to ask this question for quite sometime but never got to it. Finally decided that I should post it!!

I have a herniated disc in C5/6 region. At one point in time, around 3 years back it was very serious and I had to wear a collar for over a year. Now things are a little better.

I have been thinking of starting to ride a bicycle for fitness and physical activity, which has taken a back seat due to the IT industry I am in. Another motivator for me is that my son will be turning 8 this year and I would love to go on bicycle rides with him.

So, after this small background, what I would like to know is : is it advisable to ride a bicycle given my herniated disc? My doctor has advised against it saying that the jerks I might get by riding can aggravated my disc condition. However, just sitting at my office chair and doing absolutely zero physical activity is not helping either.

Suggestions and experiences are highly appreciated!!
That's sad to hear mate. Sitting is the new smoking. It causes more harm in long run. Rather it leads to obesity which in itself is the harbinger for lot of other diseases.

Well from someone who had been in a similar situation. I had a back injury due to which I had to be on sabbatical from work (rather life) for almost half a year. I was warned by most doctors to stop riding a bike, think of alternate career (I am in IT too) and lot of other such advices.

But a very good doctor friend of mine (an ortho) who helped me through the injury and recovery had a very different approach to injury, rehabilitation and life itself. He helped me through 2 rehabilitation - a knee surgery and a non-surgical treatment of the back injury.

He just asked me one single question when we started the rehabilitation for my back injury. What do you dream to do (other than work) @ 40? I was 29 then. My answer was to be able to ride a bike to Ladakh. His response was “Let’s work towards it. And be prepared to put in the hard yards."

Here I am almost 8 years later still riding 50 kms daily to work on my Avenger. I have a Punto as well which is purely reserved for the long trips.
There have been multiple trips where I have done more than 1000 kms in a day on my car. Ladakh trip is yet to be taken and long road trips are planned on car more due to safety. I took a break from biking for just 1 year. The rehabilitation period + another 6 months when I worked on getting back to shape.

3 years after my injury I had lost 12 kgs (all done through proper exercise, yoga, no dieting and eating right). I could run 6-7 kms at one stretch without stopping.

Find a doctor/physio who deals with sports injury regularly. They should be able to guide you. And listen to your body. You would be surprised by what a human body can achieve if you put your mind to it.

I would suggest to start with swimming (if you know) and Yoga (find one who are trained - not the ones who follow some guru). As your body starts healing you can include weights and other such things which demand more from your joints and body.

Its been 4 years now since I stopped exercise completely, but I have continued with eating right. I need to get back to exercising again now. This is a life time commitment (which I too knew all along). But those 3-4 years was a big set back for my career. Most of my peers moved ahead a long way I had to work doubly hard to get my career back on track (though I am still behind). All the work that I put in all those years made sure I still am not really out of shape. It should take me another 1 year to get back to my peak fitness. But I really regret not continuing when I should ideally have never stopped being healthy.

Last edited by nibedk : 19th June 2018 at 20:12. Reason: Correction
Old 19th June 2018, 21:22   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
That's sad to hear mate. Sitting is the new smoking. It causes more harm in long run. Rather it leads to obesity which in itself is the harbinger for lot of other diseases.

--SNIP--

I should ideally have never stopped being healthy.
Can't thank you enough for your thoughts and sharing your story! This really helps!

Sincere apologies to go a little off-topic here with my thoughts. I hope it does not fetch me an infraction!

@nibedk are absolutely right when you say sitting is the new smoking. I can feel it every single day. Earlier I could easily complete 10 rounds of swimming in an international size swimming pool lengthwise. Now even if I climb a floor in office, I feel out of breath.

Your advice about consulting a doctor who deals in sports inquiry is spot on and I am going to do this very thing shortly.

Hope I am too able to get back to my energetic best!

Wish you all the best with your dream ride of Leh / Ladakh. With your commitment, I am sure you would do it very soon!
Old 21st June 2018, 14:07   #3667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It's been only one month since you bought your current bicycle and you already are thinking of buying a new one!
Yes, I did not realize I would like cycling so much. And I am really trying to see if road bike geometry can make so much of a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Carbon forks
You don't need them. It has been said many times but let me repeat it anyways "The limits of a decent machine is way beyond the limits of the rider."
Carbon forks are meant for athletes completing in race/professional events. You and me don't need them. It will be way cheaper to lose body weight than save a few grams by using Carbon forks.
Another problem with carbon is that it will shatter and usually there are no warning signs unless you are doing a scan using special tools (UV etc).
Interesting. And carbon frame bikes are expensive. So a good aluminum one may be the best value for money right now.

Changing Metrix's handlebar to a road one will mean changing the shifters as well, I am told road style shifters are expensive. So in that case, going for another road bike may be better.

I have a top tube bag to keep the spare tube and kit, I have a portable pump that's fitted to the tube behind the bottle holder. I carry a backpack with lunch-box and laptop to office. Let's see how it goes. Metrix is very relaxed geometry and 38C tyres so reasonably supple ride. If I really go for a road bike and Metrix does not get sold, I will use Metrix for office commute and road bike for fast weekend rides.

Quote:
I had expected you to be bitten by the road bike bug, but did not expect it so soon
Thanks for the detailed inputs. Yes, I think I am sold on this geometry thing already. I will check a few road bikes this week and update on my experience.

Regarding long rides - now I have three 50k across ghats and it 's fun but 50k or ~2.5 hours is the kind of sweet spot for me right now. Anything farther and longer will need more strength. However, within those 50k as well, I see that I am already hitting the limits of Metrix 10 - on flats and downhills. Ok, honestly, I can improve on flats on Metrix itself as I have seen guys clocking 30kmph+ average on flats and I am below that, but on downhills, man, thing thing is nowhere near the Triban 540s and that sucks big time .

Last edited by anandpadhye : 21st June 2018 at 14:09.
Old 21st June 2018, 14:25   #3668
BHPian

Posted a query sometime ago, but didn't get any help. :(

Anyways, here I am again, very confused! In 11th standard right now, and I will be commuting to school every day and tuition classes on alternate days, which makes it an average of about ~10kms. I have been cycling since quite a long time now. Started with a Hero Cyclone, then went to a Roadeo A-300 about four years ago. The Roadeo was stolen sometime last year(which was heartbreaking) and have been using a friend's dilapidated Montra Rock 1.0. That needs a lot of expensive part replacements which I don't intend to do, since I am not sentimentally attached to this bike at all.

Since I will be going off to college in two years, Dad has told me to stick with something relatively cheap yet fun to ride and reliable. Keeping that in mind, I am looking for bikes in the range of 10-12k. Don't want an MTB anymore since I won't be doing it justice as I will be mostly commuting on moderate to good roads, so a nimble and quick bike is preferred.

I was looking at my options. The Mach City Munich seems to be a good option. Has all the basics covered, looks good too! The only thing that I am apprehensive of is the steel frame, which won't be very light. Other than that, I was looking at the Montra Downtown which is around 12-13k. Absolutely love the Montra Helicon but that's pretty much over my budget. What other bikes should I be looking at?

Been wanting to get back to the saddle a lot since the last few days! Appreciate the help of all the experts here, thanks in advance. As a regular follower of this thread, there are so many of you who inspire me to take up serious cycling as a hobby.

Thanks,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 21st June 2018 at 14:28.
Old 21st June 2018, 16:57   #3669
BHPian

Have you considered BTwin range? Riverside 120? I just got one and it so amazing to ride.
Old 21st June 2018, 23:31   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Have you considered BTwin range? Riverside 120? I just got one and it so amazing to ride.
Checked it out online! Seems to be a good option, looks very different. But no front derailleur. Have you found that to be problematic or less convenient in any situations?

Neel
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:17   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Checked it out online! Seems to be a good option, looks very different. But no front derailleur. Have you found that to be problematic or less convenient in any situations?

Neel

Honestly, it doesn't make any difference. This one comes with 8spd gears and they behave well. The double walled alloy rims and those tires are a breeze and tireless. Brakes are perfect. Saddle needs attention. Maybe I should get used to it. Go for it.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:29   #3672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
There was one Scott Metrix 10 (2017 model) which had hydraulic disc brakes, Altus/Acera groupset with Deore rear derailleur and rapidefire shifter. Took it for a short spin and fell in love. Bought it for 42k.

Some highlights:
- Super light, @12.5kg when I weighed it at home
- Hydraulic disc brakes (super brake feel and progression, no shuddering)
- Deore I am told is way up in Shimano hierarchy
- Internal cable routing
- 38C Kenda tyres are fast enough for me
- Lovely color, looks beautiful
- Rapidfire shifter - way better than ones on my Hero
- 26:34 should help climb Sinhagad, 48:11 is fast enoiugh on flats
- Fit me well (it seems Scott Metrix series has smaller frames than others)

Yesterday, went to Decathlon to checkout the Triban 540 (the bike that my cycling buddies use to beat me hands-down (pun intended) on the downhills and flats. It's discontinued. The next in their lineup is Ultra 700 AF. It has great reviews and looks like it's also going to be end-of-sale and there is a 9k discount on it (new price 85k). Test rode it inside the shop, liked it and bought it.

The specs:
- Super duper light (9.5kg) versus the Metrix 10 (12.5kg): both measurements done at home with pedals
- Aero geometry

- Full Shimano 105 groupset including 105 brakes
- Rim brakes but direct mount ones

- Massive 52-36 crankset
- Need to double check the cassette but should be 11-28
- 100% internal cable routing
- 25C Kenda tyres (super thin, I love the looks of those)
- Full carbon front fork

- Terrific colour (lovely paint job and fit and finish)
- This was a display piece, size M, yet fit me well

Here is a picture:
The Bicycles thread-btwin2.jpeg

Rode 12km this morning, and man, thing thing is F-A-S-T! Even though this was just a "getting to know each other" ride and not an all out one (I wanted to get used to the aggressive posture, learn to use the tops, the hoods and the drops as well as the road style shifters and asses the brakes), I broke my previous personal records on two of my favorite strava segments - hands down (can't stop using this phrase, haha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Well, no first hand experience, but I think road bikes with carbon forks would be upwards of 60k. Raaja and other roadies can confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
It has been said many times but let me repeat it anyways "The limits of a decent machine is way beyond the limits of the rider."

This is going to be true of this bike for sure :-)

Quote:
I had expected you to be bitten by the road bike bug, but did not expect it so soon

Thanks for everything, @graaja. I am now going to delete all my browser history and promise not to visit any websites that host bike reviews and pricing for next 5 years :-)

I will only ride now!

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 22nd June 2018 at 13:37.
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:04   #3673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yesterday, went to Decathlon to checkout the Triban 540 (the bike that my cycling buddies use to beat me hands-down (pun intended) on the downhills and flats. It's discontinued. The next in their lineup is Ultra 700 AF. It has great reviews and looks like it's also going to be end-of-sale and there is a 9k discount on it (new price 85k). Test rode it inside the shop, liked it and bought it.
For the components the bike comes with, it is a very great price if you got it at 76K. BTWin makes really VFM bikes. Wishing you thousands of miles of safe riding

Quote:
Thanks for everything, @graaja. I am now going to delete all my browser history and promise not to visit any websites that host bike reviews and pricing for next 5 years :-)
I will only ride now!
You are most welcome man! One thing you want to do is a proper bike fit. If you want to do long rides, a proper bike fit is a must for comfort and to avoid injuries. You could do a fit by following videos online, or if there is a professional bike fitter in your place.
Old 23rd June 2018, 15:38   #3674
BHPian

Quote:
...Ultra 700 AF. It has great reviews and looks like it's also going to be end-of-sale and there is a 9k discount on it (new price 85k). Test rode it inside the shop, liked it and bought it.
Wow, that was pretty quick! Just last week I read you wanted to change bike and I was looking forward to getting reviews on multiple brands from you before you finalized one. But you closed it in one week!

Is it because other stores wouldn't let you test ride one while Decathlon would allow a test ride? Did you ride inside the store?

If I am not wrong, Triban had endurance geometry while the Ultra has race geometry. Didn't it bother you?

Did the 85k price is after discount or pre-discount?

Are they going to bring in next Triban 540 again? Any idea? After 5 years on a hybrid, I too am thinking of upgrading. Right now just gathering information on the options and stores.
Old 23rd June 2018, 21:32   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, it doesn't make any difference. This one comes with 8spd gears and they behave well. The double walled alloy rims and those tires are a breeze and tireless. Brakes are perfect. Saddle needs attention. Maybe I should get used to it. Go for it.
Checked it out and test rode it at Decathlon today, and loved it! Thing is fast, especially to someone like me who is used to riding MTBs, light and has something very unique going for it when it comes to the minimalist design. Decathlon quoted me 12k, which is the online price everywhere. I should decide within a day or two.

@petrolhead_chn, thanks a bunch for letting me know about this beauty. This is a pretty big decision for me, so I will think it over once again. Not very bothered, but some cyclist friends I know are asking me to not go for this stating that the frame geometry isn't that good. However, I spent 15 mins riding it quite aggressively today and I felt that it was decent in that department. I am a novice, so suggestions are welcome.

Also, the accessories section at Decathlon is very tempting.

Neel

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th June 2018 at 08:39. Reason: Only TWO emoticons allowed per post. Please read the announcements carefully before proceeding. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks