Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2018, 11:52   #3751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is just wow!
What is the tool called? Is it available online?
!
This one is called BBB BTL 125 Chain hook.

It's online available from most webshops in Europe, not sure about India though. Search for chain hook and you are likely to find something similar. they come in an almost endless number of varieties.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Old 25th July 2018, 09:46   #3752
BHPian

Is this a good option for city commute and occasional weekend rides of about 25km?

Mach City iBike Medium 26 T 21 Gear Hybrid Cycle/City Bike
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/mach-city-...oduct.share.pp

I am not able to locate this particular model on bsa mach city website. Any other good hybrid alternatives under 15k? Other bikes I've considered are mach city Munich and montra downtown. Thanks.
Old 25th July 2018, 15:10   #3753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Is this a good option for city commute and occasional weekend rides of about 25km?

Mach City iBike Medium 26 T 21 Gear Hybrid Cycle/City Bike
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/mach-city-...oduct.share.pp
This is 26". Ideal for boys rather than men.
I would say, go for standard 29".
Old 25th July 2018, 17:33   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is 26". Ideal for boys rather than men.
I would say, go for standard 29".
This is even more confusing now. I thought 26 was the standard size with 27.5 and 29 being the bigger options.
Old 25th July 2018, 23:35   #3755
Senior - BHPian

A broken spoke on the ride today morning presented the opportunity to give my ride some TLC!

Front broken spoke replaced. All spokes both wheels properly tensioned and stress relieved. Both wheels trued on hifi dial gauge jig. New Vittoria rim tape up front replaced the fraying old one. Both hubs cone play adjusted for proper free rolling. New ball bearings n grease already done. New rear gear cable, inner n outer (Alligator), with new cable end caps The difference from this one 200 buck spend is night n day! FD and RD tuned khatakhat. Drivetrain cleaned and lubed. Both shifters opened and cleaned and lubed. Total Rs. 430/-.

Rear wheel now has a hollow axle with quick release skewer. Replaced the old axle and nuts / spacers setup. OE kit (1500 bucks - much better quality than the aftermarket generic ones) - cost me 1k (with fitting). New QR compatible RD guard. 50 bucks. Brake pads gone. Both wheels. Rain n muck does that. Need replacing Will get the same Jagwire ones as last time. But properly adjusted this time now. Coz they wear evenly and don't bind. Will also get a new inner/outer cable for the FD as well. Probably this Sunday. Makes a HUGE difference to the shifting. Tension n smoothness both. Clean!

Plus she will get 25c marathons soon!!! Been told my rims can easily run 25s They are deep profile aero road bike double wall rims. And here I was wondering whether to try 32s ...! Advantage is I can swap with my roadie as well Only inner tubes will be different Shraeder for hybrid n Presta for roadie. Looking forward to that mod eventually.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2018 at 23:45.
Old 26th July 2018, 12:13   #3756
BHPian

I have been eyeing this bicycle thread since 2 years. Learned everything I know about bicycles from here, but didn't get around to buying one or start riding. I wasn't happy about sticking to my budget of 20k.This along with the fact that I wasn't keen to ride in Gurgaon with it's crazy traffic and pollution. I recently have shifted to Sonepat and am studying here. Have joined a bicycling club, and we ride every weekend. Distance ranges between 15-35 kms on average. The bicycle I use is a rented Mach City without gears. It turned out to be much better than I expected. The cycling route here are around villages and paddy fields which are quite scenic and relatively pollution free. Having a blast on some amazing roads which we have to ourselves and the off road trails through farms. Sharing some pictures. Going on a 30 km ride this weekend with a stop at Murthal for some amazing paranthas.

The Bicycles thread-img_8962.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_8958.jpg
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 15:58   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
In Chennai you can check with Probikers,they deal with Fuji
https://www.facebook.com/probikerschennai/

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out sometime this week. Btw, does anyone ride a fixie in here? Can you share your thoughts on how different is it from a single speed?
Old 26th July 2018, 16:00   #3758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will check them out sometime this week. Btw, does anyone ride a fixie in here? Can you share your thoughts on how different is it from a single speed?
I haven't ridden a fixie. But the difference between a fixie and a single speed is that the single speed has a freewheeling hub, so that when you stop pedaling, the cycle rolls, or coasts. In a fixie, you can't coast. If you stop pedaling, the wheel will drive the pedal. Check out the following video.

Last edited by graaja : 26th July 2018 at 16:03.
Old 26th July 2018, 17:12   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I haven't ridden a fixie. But the difference between a fixie and a single speed is that the single speed has a freewheeling hub, so that when you stop pedaling, the cycle rolls, or coasts. In a fixie, you can't coast. If you stop pedaling, the wheel will drive the pedal. Check out the following video.

Looks interesting. Wondering what will you do when you go downhill in a fixie, take off the legs from the pedals and sit with your legs crossfolded?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th July 2018 at 20:30. Reason: Removed video from quote.
Old 26th July 2018, 17:21   #3760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks interesting. Wondering what will you do when you go downhill in a fixie, take off the legs from the pedals and sit with your legs crossfolded?
Exactly. That or spin your legs as fast as the pedals and make them noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
...Only inner tubes will be different Shraeder for hybrid n Presta for roadie. Looking forward to that mod eventually.
I had the same problem. The tubes in my Trek 4300D are schrader, and the ones in my Scott roadbike were Presta. It was a pain to keep changing the pump nozzle between the bikes. Also, the pins in the Presta valves bend over time. So, I added a Presta to Schrader converter on my road bike (a couple of years back). Since then, I don't have to change the pump nozzle and also the valves don't bend anymore.

The Bicycles thread-presta-schrader.jpg
Image Credit: Google Images

These converters are available in Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Conver...dp/B019Q0GX3C/
Old 26th July 2018, 20:19   #3761
Team-BHP Support

Experts - I am looking to get a bike; usage will be mostly on paved bike tracks and a bit rough tracks in nature parks. What will be a good option – Riverside 120 or 500?

And any comments on the Elops 120? I was looking at this for my daughter. Initially got her a Rockrider 100 but she did not like it, saying it’s for boys

Thanks for your help!
Old 26th July 2018, 21:24   #3762
Senior - BHPian

It seems drop bars are not very popular in India. Why's that?
Old 27th July 2018, 00:32   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Exactly. That or spin your legs as fast as the pedals and make them noodles

I had the same problem. The tubes in my Trek 4300D are schrader, and the ones in my Scott roadbike were Presta. It was a pain to keep changing the pump nozzle between the bikes. Also, the pins in the Presta valves bend over time. So, I added a Presta to Schrader converter on my road bike (a couple of years back). Since then, I don't have to change the pump nozzle and also the valves don't bend anymore.

Attachment 1784292
Image Credit: Google Images

These converters are available in Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Conver...dp/B019Q0GX3C/
Yup we get these in Phadke Haud (traditional LBS central of Pune) for 5 or 10 bucks. The adaptor for my pump is not a deal breaker. But yup, the screw out tip bending I'm learning new.

My celebrations about my bike were seemingly premature. The QR / hollow axle mod seems to have gone horribly wrong and something inside my hub grenaded on my ride today morning.

Sigh. The last two weeks have been frustrating, to put it mildly ...

Just 4 days of July left and I'm still a little less than 500 km short of my 1250 km target for the month.

Cheers, Doc
Old 27th July 2018, 11:11   #3764
BHPian

Quote:
Have ridden a fixie,initially it is a bit troublesome but you get used to it but nowadays most of the single speed bikes come with flip-flop hub so you can use it as a single speed bike or as a fixie.
Old 27th July 2018, 13:49   #3765
Distinguished - BHPian

690km done since April

Started cycling on 21 April, and have done 690km so far. Started syncing with Strava a little late, so Strava missed out on the initial ~45 km. As the primary goal is fitness, strength and skill building, I avoid riding leisurely and keep freewheeling to a minimum (on flats and inclines, I take very short breaks from pedaling when I get out of breath or muscles fatigue. On downhill, of course, I have to freewheel to keep safe speeds. Good thing about B'Twin Ultra is it's got 52 at the front so that delays getting spun-out on downhills compared to Scott which runs 48 at the front).

Here are the FY19 Q1 stats from Strava:
The Bicycles thread-fy19q1cycling.jpeg

Last line corresponds to the ride to Sinhagad top: 622m elevation gain, my biggest climb so far and that too without touching the feet down
Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th July 2018 at 13:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks