Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:33   #3901
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Any recommendations on a decent bike lock ? I checked the decathlon website but the better ones are on the heavier side .
If you use the bike for commute, then heavy lock would be a problem. If it is for training rides, then you can leave it at home/parking.

Guys, need inputs on pump. Need something that can be used with shraeder as well as presta valve. So far I have been using a car compressor to pump bicycle tyre. But it has adapter for shraeder only. Do we get good quality adapter for presta that I can use with this? Saw some adapters with local shops, looked poor in construction. Any option? or I should look for floor pump? What pump do you use? Good decathlon pump with gauge starts around 1000.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:37   #3902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Presenting to you *drum roll* - Isabel (Triban 500). Yeah, not the most creative name, but found it nice. The new Decathlon store in Belapur sealed the deal. Got her in early August.
Nice. How many km has she done till now?

Quote:
Sold the LA-S to friend who is happy with that as well. So roughly used the bike for 3.5 years. It also affirmed my commitment to cycling and allowed me to splurge on a nice upgrade.
What is LA-S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Do we get good quality adapter for presta that I can use with this? Saw some adapters with local shops, looked poor in construction. Any option? or I should look for floor pump? What pump do you use? Good decathlon pump with gauge starts around 1000.
I got non branded floor pump from a local street side cycle shop for INT 150. It's got both nozzles - Presta and Schrader. Has been working well for last 3 months or so.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:40   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Nice. How many km has she done till now?
About 300 give or take. I've got a cycle gps now, which is at 80 odd km. So did around 200-220 km before.

Quote:
What is LA-S?
La-Sovereign Cheetah, that I had previously.
Old 4th October 2018, 13:46   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
About 300 give or take. I've got a cycle gps now, which is at 80 odd km. So did around 200-220 km before.

La-Sovereign Cheetah, that I had previously.
Do you have the Garmin gps for bicycles? Or something else?

Does anyone use bluetooth cyclocomputers, where you attach the sensor and the magnet to fork and spoke? How reliable are those?

Quote:
I got non branded floor pump from a local street side cycle shop for INT 150. It's got both nozzles - Presta and Schrader. Has been working well for last 3 months or so.
Does it have a gauge? How do measure the tyre pressure, especially in case of roadie where you need to keep very high pressures?

Last edited by shipnil : 4th October 2018 at 13:49.
Old 4th October 2018, 17:22   #3905
BANNED

I am getting motivated to start cycling again and have shortlisted Giant Any Road 1 2018. I am new to shifters, etc. and have no idea of what is better. My intent is practice up and start doing Delhi Agra runs via Yamuna Expressway in next few months.
I am 92kgs 5'11 in height. I am looking for ease of maintenance, comfort and ability of bike to go on dirt roads, broken tarmac and city runabouts. If will stays, even cross country ride will be done. So request for your guidance on what to select. I stay in North West Delhi so service centre is preferred to be nearby but not a deciding factor (I travel from Rohini to Faridabad just to get the City serviced ).

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:35. Reason: Spacing.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:06   #3906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Does it have a gauge? How do measure the tyre pressure, especially in case of roadie where you need to keep very high pressures?
No gauge in mine. I test the pressure by traditional desi way - by pressing the tyre by hand :-) On my 25mm roadie, I fill much more air than I do on mt 38mm Hybrid. In last 900km of cycling, I have never felt the need for a gauge. If you want a gauge, get a separate one rather than a pump with buolt in gauge. but in fact, you can spend this mney on something else really :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I am getting motivated to start cycling again and have shortlisted Giant Any Road 1 2018
Spec to spec, Scott and Merida offer more value for money than Giant. In other words, you will get a good Cyclocross bike of Scott/Merida at much better price than Giant.

Check out Scott Spedster Gravel 10 Disc, to start with. Go for 105 if you can, the shifts are awesome!
Old 5th October 2018, 11:07   #3907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No gauge in mine. I test the pressure by traditional desi way - by pressing the tyre by hand :-) On my 25mm roadie, I fill much more air than I do on mt 38mm Hybrid. In last 900km of cycling, I have never felt the need for a gauge. If you want a gauge, get a separate one rather than a pump with buolt in gauge. but in fact, you can spend this mney on something else really :-)
As you are getting into serious cycling, I would suggest you get the pressure in the tires right. And a pump with a gauge is a worthy investment.

The tire pressure plays a big role in the tire's rolling resistance and also the ride compliance. If you have too much of pressure, you can end up with a very harsh ride and a higher rolling resistance at the same time. Too low a pressure will result in pinch flats. For a 25mm tire, the optimum tire pressure is between 80 to 90 psi. This is where you will feel the bike rolls faster and at the same time absorbs the shocks from rough roads.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:32   #3908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys, need inputs on pump. Need something that can be used with shraeder as well as presta valve. So far I have been using a car compressor to pump bicycle tyre. But it has adapter for shraeder only. Do we get good quality adapter for presta that I can use with this? Saw some adapters with local shops, looked poor in construction. Any option? or I should look for floor pump? What pump do you use? Good decathlon pump with gauge starts around 1000.
I use the decathlon foot pump 500 with gauge and it's been working well . I've got 2 bikes - one with schrader and another with presta , and I use it on both. The pump nozzle needs to be opened up every time you change between presta and schrader though.

It's of good quality and comes with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 5th October 2018 at 11:37.
Old 5th October 2018, 14:48   #3909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
As you are getting into serious cycling, I would suggest you get the pressure in the tires right. And a pump with a gauge is a worthy investment.

OK, will get one. Mostly a separate gauge rather than a pump with an integrated gauge.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:29   #3910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, will get one. Mostly a separate gauge rather than a pump with an integrated gauge.
Preferable to have a pump with inbuilt gauge

When you use external gauge, every time you check air pressure, you will also lose some air. As the volume of air in the tube is very less due to its thin profile, you can end up losing some pressure while checking the pressure.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:50   #3911
Senior - BHPian

I'm not seeing Indian prices for the Scott. Any idea on the price mate?

Quote:
Check out Scott Spedster Gravel 10 Disc, to start with. Go for 105 if you can, the shifts are awesome!

The Bicycles thread-1_scottspeedstergravel10_galperex.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:36. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Spacing.
Old 5th October 2018, 16:23   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Preferable to have a pump with inbuilt gauge

When you use external gauge, every time you check air pressure, you will also lose some air. As the volume of air in the tube is very less due to its thin profile, you can end up losing some pressure while checking the pressure.
OK, will keep this in mind, but I read that the built-in ones don't read real tyre pressure, they read the pump pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm not seeing Indian prices for the Scott. Any idea on the price mate?
1.08L

Attached is the price list of their mainstream models for 2018.

https://scottownersclub.com/product_categories/scott/bike-scott-bike/ has the full list.

Note: these are list prices, there are always discounts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCOTT-MY-18-ROAD-BIKES.-10.pdf (5.24 MB, 315 views)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th October 2018 at 16:25.
Old 5th October 2018, 16:28   #3913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, will keep this in mind, but I read that the built-in ones don't read real tyre pressure, they read the pump pressure!
Once the valve is depressed, the tire and pump pressure will be the same. When you clamp the pump head to the valve, you can see the pressure guage showing the pressure even before you start pumping.
Old 5th October 2018, 16:35   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
For a 25mm tire, the optimum tire pressure is between 80 to 90 psi. This is where you will feel the bike rolls faster and at the same time absorbs the shocks from rough roads.
Raaja, should this be same in front and rear tyres? Or you follow diff pressure in front?

How often should one check i.e. how long does a tyre, with presta valve, retain same pressure? Before every ride or weekly would do too?
Old 5th October 2018, 16:40   #3915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Raaja, should this be same in front and rear tyres? Or you follow diff pressure in front?

How often should one check i.e. how long does a tyre, with presta valve, retain same pressure? Before every ride or weekly would do too?
I usually keep the front pressure 5 to 10 psi less than the rear. This increases the comfort levels on long rides.

I have observed a 5 to 10 psi pressure loss within a couple of days when the cycle is parked at home. So, I always check the pressure before every ride.

This applies to my road bike with the presta valve. The Trek MTB with schrader valve does not lose pressure. I have found the pressure maintained even after two weeks of the bike being parked at home.

Most Viewed