Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:46   #3931
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It was available in Track and Trail, Baner, the last time I was there in mid September. Also, I think they can order a right size, if it isn't available with them. You can call Veer, the store manager, on 8 6 9 8 0 8 0 8 4 8.
Checked with Track n Trail on Karve Road and getting it for around 92K.

Will make a decision one way or other. Still having doubts if I should shift to road bike from a hybrid. Any major benefits that I would get. I would be more into endurance riding and not really races.
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:26   #3932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Still having doubts if I should shift to road bike from a hybrid. Any major benefits that I would get. I would be more into endurance riding and not really races.
This will actually depend on your goals, what you enjoy in the ride etc. A road bike will definitely increase your average speed over a hybrid.

Here is my experience: I had a Trek 4300D MTB. As long as I was doing solo rides, I was happy. I was doing 18 to 20kph average speeds and totally enjoying my rides. When I joined a cycling group, everyone in the group had a road bike, and within the first kilometer of starting the ride, everyone just vanished from my sight. That is when I decided to upgrade to a road bike. With the road bike, straight away I saw a 3kph increase in average speed.

Here are some points you may consider.

If you are satisfied with the speeds you are doing on the hybrid, and are not looking to increase your speed, then you should continue with the hybrid.

If you are into casual recreational rides, and don't care about speed, performance etc., you should continue with a hybrid.

If you want a perfectly relaxed position, you should continue with a hybrid. Even the most relaxed geometries in a road bike will be more aggressive than a hybrid.

If you want to do faster rides, and if you want to catch up with other road bikers in a group ride, then you should upgrade to a road bike.

If you want to keep improving your timings on long rides (say from 5 hours to 4 hours, and then sub 4 hours and then to 3 hours etc), then go for a road bike.

I am sure others who have ridden both the hybrid and graduated to road bike can share their experience as well that can help you.

But in the end, only you can experience and decide if a road bike suits you
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:53   #3933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This will actually depend on your goals, what you enjoy in the ride etc. A road bike will definitely increase your average speed over a hybrid.

Here is my experience: I had a Trek 4300D MTB. As long as I was doing solo rides, I was happy. I was doing 18 to 20kph average speeds and totally enjoying my rides. When I joined a cycling group, everyone in the group had a road bike, and within the first kilometer of starting the ride, everyone just vanished from my sight. That is when I decided to upgrade to a road bike. With the road bike, straight away I saw a 3kph increase in average speed.

But in the end, only you can experience and decide if a road bike suits you
Thought about these points and below is my thinking:
- I want to increase my avg speed. Currently do in be range of 21 to 23 for long rides (above 150 kms)

- Not into recreational rides and plan to do SR in this season. Did 200 and 300 in last season. SR can still be done on a hybrid. What with folks doing it on a mono geared bike

- Want to improve my timings in BRM rides.

These factors tilt towards a road bike. Issue is cannot experience it for long distances without buying one.
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:31   #3934
BHPian

@amitwlele - Not sure if you've already considered the flat bar road bikes like Merida Speeder 300, 500. These will take away the committed-posture related apprehensions while still providing road-bike specific frame-geometry (and weight), gear-sets and importantly hydraulic disk brakes.
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:40   #3935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These factors tilt towards a road bike. Issue is cannot experience it for long distances without buying one.
Yes. Your requirements do point towards a road bike. As there is no way to test without buying, I would say "Take the leap of faith!"
Old 26th October 2018, 10:00   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Checked with Track n Trail on Karve Road and getting it for around 92K.

Will make a decision one way or other. Still having doubts if I should shift to road bike from a hybrid. Any major benefits that I would get. I would be more into endurance riding and not really races.
If you are considering long rides, nothing can be more comfortable than a drop handlebarred bike. In fact, touring bikes traditionally come with drop handlebars. The benefit of multiple hand positions simply can not be overstated. Not only does it prevent your palms and wrist getting painful, it also varies the muscles that you use to hold your position because you can keep changing your posture.

You can sit more upright for a while, or tuck in to an aerodynamic position if it gets windy.

I have tried straight bars bull horn bars, track drop bars and regular road drop bars, and the road drop bars are by far the most adaptable.

So, without even going into the benefits of speed, I would recommend a road bike.
Old 26th October 2018, 23:17   #3937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
If you are considering long rides, nothing can be more comfortable than a drop handlebarred bike. In fact, touring bikes traditionally come with drop handlebars. The benefit of multiple hand positions simply can not be overstated. Not only does it prevent your palms and wrist getting painful, it also varies the muscles that you use to hold your position because you can keep changing your posture.

You can sit more upright for a while, or tuck in to an aerodynamic position if it gets windy.

I have tried straight bars bull horn bars, track drop bars and regular road drop bars, and the road drop bars are by far the most adaptable.

So, without even going into the benefits of speed, I would recommend a road bike.
Geneva must easily rank as one of the top cycling cities of the world. Saw some gorgeous bikes there recently. And everyone thete do serious speeds on city roads.

Lots of very light road bike framed bikes with bullhorn bars.

Looking at them (I guess you can make your own by chopping up an old drop bar) I got the feeling that they would be a lot more versatile and comfortable for a fast and light hybrid (solid fork) than what I'm using currently which is a flat bar with bar ends.

Basically the curved curners would be much more comfortable for resting the weight on the palms.

Cheers, Doc
Old 28th October 2018, 12:59   #3938
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I am really happy to see so many PEDL and CYCULU Bikes for rent all across Bangalore.
I also (around 3 months back) sold off my 9 or 10 year old Firefox 2.6 Dart 6 speed bicycle and went and bought a brand new FatBike - an LA Sovereign with 5 inch wide Tyres. An Absolute beauty with 21 speed Shimano gears. And when in Bangalore, I ride about 5-10 km every morning very early.
It is fun. That’s probably the best time of the day here in Bangalore. Nothing like quiet, less polluted air and a clean invigorating bicycle ride!
Old 28th October 2018, 14:24   #3939
BANNED

Here's my FatBike!The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1540716856.489537.jpg
Old 28th October 2018, 14:37   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Roubaix is a way more advanced frame than the basic Sportif. And does very well.in brevets, as the name suggests.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc. Ended buying a Roubaix 1.3 and have done few rides as well. My speed has increased considerably already and fell the bike is perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Don't think the Fuji Roubaix is a an endurance frame more for racing.The Scott speedster is mix of both had one earlier loved it,comfortable for long rides as well.
Compared to the Scultura I rode for few days the roubaix is a little commited, but with proper bike fit it feels comfortable too even after 4 hours on saddle.
Old 28th October 2018, 18:37   #3941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Thanks Doc. Ended buying a Roubaix 1.3 and have done few rides as well. My speed has increased considerably already and fell the bike is perfect for me.

Compared to the Scultura I rode for few days the roubaix is a little commited, but with proper bike fit it feels comfortable too even after 4 hours on saddle.
It's all about the rider and the fit truly.

I ride with a guy who just turned 50 who just completed his SR ( I failed my 600 on the same ride due to a rear tyre massive cut at 150 km) on a Fuji Roubaix.

Congrats on your new bike.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th October 2018, 13:59   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Geneva must easily rank as one of the top cycling cities of the world. Saw some gorgeous bikes there recently. And everyone thete do serious speeds on city roads.

Lots of very light road bike framed bikes with bullhorn bars.

Looking at them (I guess you can make your own by chopping up an old drop bar) I got the feeling that they would be a lot more versatile and comfortable for a fast and light hybrid (solid fork) than what I'm using currently which is a flat bar with bar ends.

Basically the curved curners would be much more comfortable for resting the weight on the palms.

Cheers, Doc
I have ridden bullhorn bars myself. In fact, I have ridden fixed gear bikes with bullhorns for a while, and more recently, a sort of gravel bike using an MTB hardtail frame too. Bull horn bars are generally set at the same level as the top of where the drop handlebars would be or an inch or so lower. On longer rides (say 80 km) I keep realising that I can not get particularly aerodynamic with bull horns.

Bull horns are suitable for city riding, or more generally, rides of not more than 3-4 hours duration. For longer rides, I find drop handlebars to be preferable.
Old 30th October 2018, 00:24   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I have ridden bullhorn bars myself. In fact, I have ridden fixed gear bikes with bullhorns for a while, and more recently, a sort of gravel bike using an MTB hardtail frame too. Bull horn bars are generally set at the same level as the top of where the drop handlebars would be or an inch or so lower. On longer rides (say 80 km) I keep realising that I can not get particularly aerodynamic with bull horns.

Bull horns are suitable for city riding, or more generally, rides of not more than 3-4 hours duration. For longer rides, I find drop handlebars to be preferable.
But for a flatbar hybrid, which is better?

One issue with chopping a drop bar is that most drop bars are narrower than flatbars.

Cheers, Doc
Old 30th October 2018, 02:07   #3944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
... went and bought a brand new FatBike - an LA Sovereign with 5 inch wide Tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Here's my FatBike!
Wow ! Nice bike

How's it to ride ? Is a fat bike hard bike to accelerate ?

Thinking of getting one for the snow; torn between getting a fat bike & switching to studded tires.
Old 30th October 2018, 05:51   #3945
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Wow ! Nice bike

How's it to ride ? Is a fat bike hard bike to accelerate ?

Thinking of getting one for the snow; torn between getting a fat bike & switching to studded tires.

It has 21 gears. It is not hard to accelerate on. The surface area in contact with the ground is significant compared to a normal thin thread bike. It is made of aluminium alloy and hence the bike is very light, even compared to my old Firefox steel frame bike.
And the fat Tyres and comfy seat makes for a nice riding experience, even though I ride on normal broken roads in Bangalore amidst the many ups and downs in my neighbourhood, or on the cycle track at a nearby lake.

For me, this fatbike is absolutely perfect, though it is expensive to buy.

I use it daily for around an hour for exercise and because riding helps me to think and harness my thoughts when I am riding around my neighbourhood.

Most Viewed