Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 06:06   #3991
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Kindred spirits, need some advice.
Some schmuck stole my beloved MTB right off my front porch a few weeks back & hence bought a Trek commuter bike from CraigsList ( a 7300 FX ).
The bike came with 700x35 tires & I got some commuter tires ( a 700x40 & a 700x45 ), along with a set of studded tires ( 700x40 ).

Name:  Trek_7300FX_1.PNG
Views: 897
Size:  561.2 KB

This weekend, when I mounted the 700x45 on the rear rim, I found that the bike has a shallow u-shaped metal bracket between the chainstays, & the bigger tire was rubbing on this bracket !

The Bicycles thread-trek_7300fx_0.png

I intend to cut the bracket off of the frame & have ordered an angle-grinder & some cutting & grinding wheels.
Before taking the drastic measure however, wanted to check with the wiser folks here:
1) Is it a good idea to remove that bracket ?
2) Would I be weakening the frame by much by removing that bracket ?
It's just a commuter bike & I use it as such.

P.S. - This bracket was used for a bike stand that I have removed as I have no use for one.

Last edited by im_srini : 13th November 2018 at 06:10.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:31   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I intend to cut the bracket off of the frame & have ordered an angle-grinder & some cutting & grinding wheels.
Yikes!

It's not a bracket. Its a cross member BRACE!

Don't touch it man. Get thinner tyres.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:05. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th November 2018, 12:26   #3993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Have been using Zwift from the time it was free but not that regularly,the setup I have is with a smart trainer now( Tacx Neo) earlier had a similar setup as yours(dumb trainer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I use Zwift with my wahoo kickr snap smart trainer...
Thank you yogi1771 and Axe77 for the feedback. Both of you got awesome setups - the best ones in the wheel on and direct drive trainers.

In my search for a smart trainer, I had liked the Wahoo Kickr Snap in the wheel on trainers (this has the heaviest flywheel among all wheel on trainers) and Wahoo Kickr and Tacx Neo in direct drive trainers. The Kickr Snap was not available and the Kickr and Tacx Neo were way out of my budget. My good luck, Wahoo has introduced a mid range trainer Kickr Core that has a flywheel almost the same weight as the previous gen Kickr and the only thing missing was the adjustable legs. Have ordered the Kickr Core and eagerly waiting for its arrival

Quote:
90-95% of my rides would be indoors i think.
Good to know someone who uses indoor training extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Before taking the drastic measure however, wanted to check with the wiser folks here:
1) Is it a good idea to remove that bracket ?...
Agree with Doc. Cutting that bracket would compromise the integrity of the frame. Get thinner tires that fit the frame.
Old 13th November 2018, 15:50   #3994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have been trying to improve my cycling power to get better timing in triathlon events.
We have some unusual things in common - the 3 GT and love for triathlons.

Which triathlon have you planned next. Goa 70.3 should be a must do I guess if you're in the triathlon zone. I have currently signed up for Dubai (1st Feb), although I have lots of ground to cover on the bike and swim for now.

Quote:
Thank you yogi1771 and Axe77 for the feedback. Both of you got awesome setups - the best ones in the wheel on and direct drive trainers.
Incidentally Yogi1771 and I are part of the same cycling group in Bbay - my involvement of course remains to our whatsapp group given that my cycling is mostly indoors.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th November 2018 at 15:52.
Old 13th November 2018, 16:25   #3995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have some unusual things in common - the 3 GT and love for triathlons.

Which triathlon have you planned next. Goa 70.3 should be a must do I guess if you're in the triathlon zone. I have currently signed up for Dubai (1st Feb), although I have lots of ground to cover on the bike and swim for now.
I was thinking the same about our common interests, but was thinking about the GT and cycling. Did not know you are into Triathlons as well

I have signed up for the Goa 70.3 and the training is on. The whole idea of an indoor trainer happened when I could not do some long cycling workouts due to rain.

All the best with your Dubai 70.3. Any plans to make it to Goa?
Old 13th November 2018, 16:28   #3996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
You can consider Decathlon's My Bike for 4.5K or the Riverside 50 for 7K. For his height , a small size will do. These two are steel framed gearless cycles , a little heavy but sturdy.
Thanks. I eventually ended up buying Kross Spider Single Speed Blue Bicycle 24T at a retail shop near my home. I paid 6K instead of the 5.2K advertised at Amazon. That is because I didn't want to purchase online, I wanted to checkout multiple cycles personally before making a choice. After making the choice, I didn't want to slink back to Amazon to get a cheaper price. I figured the retail experience was worth the extra money.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:16   #3997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking the same about our common interests, but was thinking about the GT and cycling. Did not know you are into Triathlons as well

I have signed up for the Goa 70.3 and the training is on. The whole idea of an indoor trainer happened when I could not do some long cycling workouts due to rain.

All the best with your Dubai 70.3. Any plans to make it to Goa?
Thanks. I was going to treat Goa like a training event for Dubai (they're only 3 weeks apart) but reluctant to travel so much so have parked the decision for now.

I'll decide last min whether I want to come to Goa. We should definitely connect and meet if I come to Goa.

Cheers
Old 13th November 2018, 20:05   #3998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. I was going to treat Goa like a training event for Dubai (they're only 3 weeks apart) but reluctant to travel so much so have parked the decision for now.

I'll decide last min whether I want to come to Goa. We should definitely connect and meet if I come to Goa.

Cheers
With only 3 weeks in between, you may not get enough recovery from the Goa event to the Dubai event. But if your fitness levels are high, then you could make the Goa recovery as your Dubai's taper off phase and do well in Dubai as well. Let me know what you decide and maybe we can catch up in Goa and even have a post event celebration
Old 13th November 2018, 20:35   #3999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my search for a smart trainer, I had liked the Wahoo Kickr Snap in the wheel on trainers (this has the heaviest flywheel among all wheel on trainers) and Wahoo Kickr and Tacx Neo in direct drive trainers.
My local bike shop has a Wahoo Kickr setup with Zwift. Unfortunately the bike that they have in the setup is way too small for me. So, I just ended up seeing a staff member try it out. He was all praise about how quiet it is and how seamlessly the terrain gets simulated in the trainer.

I am still not ready to take my biking indoors though. I used to pound away at the indoor cycles at the gym for my cardio before I started riding outside, but now I just can't. So now, in the off season I have switched to weights at the Y and group cardio classes at the office gym. Cross training, amirite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After making the choice, I didn't want to slink back to Amazon to get a cheaper price. I figured the retail experience was worth the extra money.
Yup. That's why I try to split my biking purchases 50-50 between online and in store. Occasionally though, the savings are too big to ignore. For example,I checked out the Pearl IZUMI AmFib cycling bib tights at the local bike shop. They were selling them for $175 and I got them from Amazon for $101! But then again, I did buy a $1500 bike from them few months back.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:51   #4000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am still not ready to take my biking indoors though. I used to pound away at the indoor cycles at the gym for my cardio before I started riding outside, but now I just can't. So now, in the off season I have switched to weights at the Y and group cardio classes at the office gym. Cross training, amirite!
It is a very good idea to catch up with weight training and cardio workouts during off seasons

Even I am not used to indoor training. I find treadmill running and the spin bike in the gyms very boring. But a smart trainer and a virtual training app like Zwift remove the boredom to a large extent. Also, I think if you need to do structured workouts to improve your FTP, then an indoor trainer is a must - at least here in India, where it is very difficult to find good roads to train.
Old 14th November 2018, 18:55   #4001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I think if you need to do structured workouts to improve your FTP, then an indoor trainer is a must - at least here in India, where it is very difficult to find good roads to train.
I am almost 100% certain that you are right. Having said that, yesterday I created a few ~25 mile routes around my house on RideWithGPS, in the hope that at least one day over a weekend I will be able to get a ride in and try to do interval training on those rides. Let's see how that goes. I am also hoping that this will help me hit my goal of completing 4500 miles for the year. Right now I am 145 miles short of that goal and with snow expected in a couple of days, that goal seems to be in danger.
Old 18th November 2018, 10:46   #4002
BHPian

After much contemplation and debate between the head and the heart, the heart won, obviously. Presenting the Fuji Sportif 2.3 -
The Bicycles thread-fuji.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:08. Reason: Spacing.
Old 19th November 2018, 09:36   #4003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
After much contemplation and debate between the head and the heart, the heart won, obviously. Presenting the Fuji Sportif 2.3 -
Congrats!
Specs and price please?
Old 19th November 2018, 10:04   #4004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. Looks awesome! And the geometry looks quite relaxed and should be great for long rides. Wishing you thousands of miles of joy, health and fitness
Old 19th November 2018, 10:25   #4005
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, a friend pointed out an interesting fact about Shimano RS11 wheels on the Btwin Ultra. The front wheel is symmetric, the rear wheel is asymmetric. It has a rim that tapers inwards. A friend pointed this out and as per him the reason is - the power is transmitted to the rear wheel only from the right (even when you are cranking with your left pedal) because the chain and gears are connected on the right.

Very interesting! Let me post picture of mine.

The amount of engineering that's gone into such seemingly simple things like a bicycle wheel is mind blowing!

My Scott Hybrid that rides on Syncros wheels, does not have this! The rear wheel is symmetric just like the front.
Kudos to Shimano! And Kudos to BTwin for using it on the Ultra! At INR 85,000 is there another bike that offers all these specs in our market?

Roadies are special, in deed!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th November 2018 at 10:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks