Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 23:04   #4306
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Buy a good bike now, so that you don't feel like upgrading soon.
Mate, you have replied to a 3.5 year old post!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 25th July 2019 at 23:06.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:00   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. 9Kg is really light, and the bike looks sharp. Can you briefly tell me about your cyclo-computer and front LED lights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
purchased the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 (2019).
Old 26th July 2019, 11:49   #4308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
After all the discussions, suggestions, recommendations and pondering over available options, went ahead and purchased the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 (2019).
That is a beautiful looking bike. Congratulations! Wishing you thousands of healthy miles and smiles!
Old 26th July 2019, 12:17   #4309
BHPian

Anyone here use Convolution bikes. Looking for some user reviews
Old 27th July 2019, 17:38   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Is the btwin rock rider in production now? Looking for a ceared version from this stable around 10-12k. Can anyone enlighten me?
You may other options from the same stable. Check out the website.
Old 30th July 2019, 23:05   #4311
BHPian

Actor Salman Khan promoting his brand of electric cycles via below tweet and website in the tweet.
Hope this is an appropriate post for this thread.
Mods may delete if inappropriate

https://twitter.com/BeingSalmanKhan/...10663900528641
Old 31st July 2019, 21:42   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Anyone here use Convolution bikes. Looking for some user reviews
Hi. You can try DM'ing a guy from my cycling group at this insta account. Eshaan Sharma, he's been riding one since May. Very powerful and experienced rider, so you could expect a comprehensive review. He rode the same bike in a race at Pune too recently.

https://www.instagram.com/insteshaan
Old 1st August 2019, 10:56   #4313
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Folks, need some advice. My son is turning 7 next week and we intend to upgrade his cycle. He has been using a 20 size Decathlon 5 speed geared cycle for the last 2 years. Since he is a little tall for his age, 24 size is quite comfortable for him to use. Now the question is should we look at something like a Montra DTR? His usage is quite normal, within the apartment complex, but he thoroughly enjoys cycling and our apartment community is quite spacious so he has ample space to cycle on slopes and ramps etc.

I looked at the next possible upgrade in Decathlon, which is 24 size geared cycle, costing about 9k. While the Montra DTR costs around 14k after discounts. So there is good 5k difference, but the Montra seems so much loaded with disc brakes and alloy frame. I know it may not make a big difference to his normal ride, but just checking if its worth spending that extra 5k. Secondly how easy would it be on maintenance? Since Decathlon is right next door, I can always take the cycle to the store in case of anything, whereas Montra has to be taken to a track and trail store, which is not exactly near by.
Old 1st August 2019, 11:31   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I looked at the next possible upgrade in Decathlon, which is 24 size geared cycle, costing about 9k. While the Montra DTR costs around 14k after discounts. So there is good 5k difference, but the Montra seems so much loaded with disc brakes and alloy frame. I know it may not make a big difference to his normal ride, but just checking if its worth spending that extra 5k. Secondly how easy would it be on maintenance? Since Decathlon is right next door, I can always take the cycle to the store in case of anything, whereas Montra has to be taken to a track and trail store, which is not exactly near by.
For his age, I would definitely recommend Btwin for now. Disc brakes not really essential since I personally feel he could be cycling within the apartment complex until say age 12-13, before going on-road. Also have seen people do century rides and climbs on btwin single speeds So reliability is not an issue. Add to that the next door Decathlon and their transparency with service. The track and trail guys near my place in Mumbai are notorious.
Old 1st August 2019, 12:55   #4315
Senior - BHPian

My advice is, don't spend much on the bike when they are young. My kid had the Jeep and then the Scott Junior, but grew up so fast that we had to dispose of in a year. The bikes had such superior build quality, that I was in tears while letting go. From size 20 we had moved up to 22, and then 24 as the difference was quite large. Decathlon bike should be fine for now (maintenance is much easier since they do it in-house too)!

Quote:
My son is turning 7 next week and we intend to upgrade his cycle
Old 1st August 2019, 23:05   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
For his age, I would definitely recommend Btwin for now. Disc brakes not really essential since I personally feel he could be cycling within the apartment complex until say age 12-13, before going on-road. Also have seen people do century rides and climbs on btwin single speeds So reliability is not an issue. Add to that the next door Decathlon and their transparency with service. The track and trail guys near my place in Mumbai are notorious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My advice is, don't spend much on the bike when they are young. My kid had the Jeep and then the Scott Junior, but grew up so fast that we had to dispose of in a year. The bikes had such superior build quality, that I was in tears while letting go. From size 20 we had moved up to 22, and then 24 as the difference was quite large. Decathlon bike should be fine for now (maintenance is much easier since they do it in-house too)!
Thanks for your inputs. I'm taking my son to a track and trail showroom this Saturday, I believe they have a lot of models in the brand Roadeo as well. This brand is not as expensive as Montra, probably around 10-11k, but has similar features. There is only one 24 size geared cycle in Decathlon, just one model, one colour, costing about 8499. So if I have to spend may be another 2k more, but possibly get a better cycle, even in his choice of colour, then it may be worth it. Lets see what the kiddo has to say on Saturday!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:24. Reason: Spacing.
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:09   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the question is should we look at something like a Montra DTR? His usage is quite normal, within the apartment complex, but he thoroughly enjoys cycling and our apartment community is quite spacious so he has ample space to cycle on slopes and ramps etc.

So there is good 5k difference, but the Montra seems so much loaded with disc brakes and alloy frame. I know it may not make a big difference to his normal ride, but just checking if its worth spending that extra 5k. Secondly how easy would it be on maintenance?
DTR is an excellent range and we've had one for over an year. It is lightweight and ideal for kids this age. Please don't hurt your child by buying a larger size unnecessarily as many of my child's friends' parents have done.

Would you ever worry about saving 5k if I said it was like an unnecessary 200gm of load on every knee?

Badly fit cycles can cause injuries due to repetitive nature. Children may not complain since they often stand up and ride - but why not buy what's fit for the child now?

Maintenance is not an issue. Just grease the chain with a wet lube and pump in air. Your child doesn't ride it for 1000km a month that you really need to worry.

Worst case speak to the Decathlon technician - he would be happy to come home and do minor service off-duty hours for a fee. These bikes are generally designed to be used by people outside India who maintain it themselves.

Happy riding!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:24. Reason: Spacing.
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:07   #4318
Senior - BHPian

Cannondale has issued a worldwide recall for more than 10,000 CAADX cyclocross bikes manufactured between 2013 to 2016.

@amitoj you had the CAADX right? I think I recall you saying something along these lines (fork recall) some time back.

Quote:
Cannondale has issued a recall notice for more than 10,000 CAADX cyclocross bikes produced between 2013 to 2016 following a series of reported fork failures.
The Bicycles thread-cannondale-01.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cannondale-02.jpg
Source: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/cannondale-caadx-recall/

Cheers, Doc

Note from Support: Please do not Copy-Paste entire articles from external websites. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:32. Reason: Spacing. Pictures inserted in-line. Quotes added. Linked. Copy-right issues.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:12   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Hi. You can try DM'ing a guy from my cycling group at this insta account. Eshaan Sharma, he's been riding one since May. Very powerful and experienced rider, so you could expect a comprehensive review. He rode the same bike in a race at Pune too recently.

https://www.instagram.com/insteshaan
Many thanks, have written to him, let's see if he can help me out.
Old 8th August 2019, 19:16   #4320
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Saturday I rode my bicycle back and forth from our home to Utrecht, the Netherlands, as I had some errands to run. It is a nice ride, about 35 km one way. I parked at the new Bicycle Parking facility at the Central station. The centre of Utrecht is best done on foot.

As it was, there were three/four other bicycles Parking facilities around the central station all ready. Accommodating some 10.000 bicycles. This new one holds up to 12.500 bicycles!

The video gives a good impression on what this Bicycle Parking Facility looks like. It is absolutely massive, by any standard!

You check in/out by means of your public transport card. The first 24 hours are free of charge. Then € 1,25 per 24 hours. (A simple cup of coffee will cost you double that)

Very easy and convenient to use. You just cycle in and out!

Enjoy!

Most Viewed