Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 06:54   #4426
BANNED

@Travel4x4

Thumb rule: Get frame size S for < 5.5ft & M for 5.6-6.1ft.
Go for a Trek or better bikes.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 19:59. Reason: Readability fixed.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:59   #4427
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
There isn't a decent active Indian forum for cyclists as far as I know.
What ever happened to bikeszone? It was quite an active forum a couple of years ago. I'm not able to access it anymore..
Old 7th November 2019, 12:55   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
What ever happened to bikeszone? It was quite an active forum a couple of years ago. I'm not able to access it anymore..
It has been dead for more than 3 years now. It just went offline suddenly. I did not receive any reply from the Admin when I had DM'ed him on some other social media sites.
Old 7th November 2019, 17:02   #4429
BHPian

Guys,

I am on the look out for an upgrade. Been riding a Fuji Absolute 2.1 for the last 3 years and my average ride is appx 35kms with longer rides of 60kms mainly owing to time constraint. I am keen to do a 100 some time and totally prepared for it. However, been recently getting the urge to move to a Road Bike and shortlisted the Scott Speedster 20 and the Merida Scultura 300, since both have a Tiagra Set (Not the entire group set). Any reviews of the bikes?

Regards
Old 7th November 2019, 19:00   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
Any reviews of the bikes?
Look up Convolution bikes too. Indian made. Good reviews so far.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 20:01. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote only relevant portions of posts.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:58   #4431
Senior - BHPian

Scott Speedster 20 is the one I'd prefer, but it is slightly heavy. That's its only short-coming. The wide gear range makes for easy riding and riding position is good (I'm partial to Scott, so ask around for another opinion as well plz)
Quote:
Guys,I am on the look out for an upgrade. Been riding a Fuji Absolute 2.1 for the last 3 years and my average ride is appx 35kms with longer rides of 60kms mainly owing to time constraint. I am keen to do a 100 some time and totally prepared for it. However, been recently getting the urge to move to a Road Bike and shortlisted the Scott Speedster 20 and the Merida Scultura 300, since both have a Tiagra Set (Not the entire group set). Any reviews of the bikes?Regards
Old 8th November 2019, 07:20   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
I am on the look out for an upgrade. Been riding a Fuji Absolute 2.1 for the last 3 years and my average ride is appx 35kms with longer rides of 60kms mainly owing to time constraint. I am keen to do a 100 some time and totally prepared for it. However, been recently getting the urge to move to a Road Bike and shortlisted the Scott Speedster 20 and the Merida Scultura 300, since both have a Tiagra Set (Not the entire group set). Any reviews of the bikes?
Scultura has a very relaxed frame and a very comfortable bike. Did really like the bike when I had it for 2 weeks before I bought myself a Fuji Roubaix.
If you can get Fuji bikes try Sportif. They are god bikes and very economical too.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th November 2019 at 19:17. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing.
Old 8th November 2019, 13:31   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Scultura has a very relaxed frame and a very comfortable bike. Did really like the bike when I had it for 2 weeks before I bought myself a Fuji Roubaix.
If you can get Fuji bikes try Sportif. They are god bikes and very economical too.
I am trying the Scultura tomorrow and hope to get some idea of the geometry and the comfort levels. Why did you move from the Scultura to Roubaix since it seems to be a different geometry overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Scott Speedster 20 is the one I'd prefer, but it is slightly heavy. That's its only short-coming. The wide gear range makes for easy riding and riding position is good (I'm partial to Scott, so ask around for another opinion as well plz)
I found that the Speedster 20 has more or less same weight levels as the Merida at least for the rim brake versions. Any additional reviews on the Scott. I am not keen to go more than 100 kms max on a single ride and brevets are not my plan surely for the medium term. Perhaps could stretch to a 200k, but certainly nothing more than that, since I am too lazy, Generally.
Old 8th November 2019, 13:37   #4434
Senior - BHPian

Advantage with the Scott is the superb build, it just lasts. Gears are really smooth. Just try it and you will see. Merida is usually a 'hit or miss' with regards to quality. Lot of reviews on UK sites
Quote:
I found that the Speedster 20 has more or less same weight levels as the Merida at least for the rim brake versions. Any additional reviews on the Scott. I am not keen to go more than 100 kms max on a single ride and brevets are not my plan surely for the medium term. Perhaps could stretch to a 200k, but certainly nothing more than that, since I am too lazy, Generally.
Old 8th November 2019, 14:27   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Merida is usually a 'hit or miss' with regards to quality. Lot of reviews on UK sites
That may just be anecdotal. Giant, Merida and Polygon are OEM frame suppliers for international brand names like Cannondale, Specialized, Scott, Fuji etc. Truth be told, all branded bike frames of today are manufactured in the same factories in China, Taiwan or Indonesia.
Old 8th November 2019, 14:41   #4436
Senior - BHPian

You are obviously knowledgeable, so please guide him. I'm just a rider and enjoy riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
That may just be anecdotal. Giant, Merida and Polygon are OEM frame suppliers for international brand names like Cannondale, Specialized, Scott, Fuji etc. Truth be told, all branded bike frames of today are manufactured in the same factories in China, Taiwan or Indonesia.
Old 8th November 2019, 16:02   #4437
BHPian

@Sebring Not too knowledgeable, it is just that my head is filled with all these useless bits of trivia.

@premjit I just wanted to say that both are good brands and you can't go wrong with either. Buy the one that that fits you well and makes you want to ride more.
Old 8th November 2019, 16:07   #4438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Scott Speedster is a good bike. I had a Scott Speedster 30 with Tiagra groupset. Was a solid bike. Rode lots of 100k’s, a couple of 200 Brevets and a couple of Triathlons as well. Had no problems at all.

So when I had to upgrade went with Scott Solace. I would greatly recommend the Speedster.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:19   #4439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
The Bike Affair bike shop in Hyd is a good place for road bike service.
Thanks man, I guess it is time to get in touch with Krish/Gokul

Quote:
For your daughter, try the Frog kids bikes.
Looks wise Frog are the better ones I have seen. I will check their site ifor more details. Thanks

Cost is not that much of a constraint. Rs 5000 is the base price for a decent looking bike now. I am more concerned about quality products than cost. I will do a detailed check and list the brands. It should be useful to others as well.

Some of the Indian brands I encountered are Frog, Schnell, Firefox, BikeArk (Supposedly done by IITians) etc. Older brands like Hero, etc. were really tacky in the kids range.

I kind of like this series. Anyone here tried BikeArk products https://marketplace.cyclop.in/listin...le-pretty-pink

Last edited by aah78 : 12th November 2019 at 20:13. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 13th November 2019, 21:43   #4440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Raleigh Cadent 24

I'm looking for mudguards (fenders) but seems like hardly anyone makes nice sleek mudguards for 24" wheels (47-507 / 24"x1.75 is the tire size).
To bring closure in case anyone else is looking for 24" mudguards:
I contacted two Germany vendors & both agreed that the SKS Bluemels black 60mm/24" would be a good fit for the 24" wheels.
[Product Link: SKS Blumels Shiny 24" 60 Black Set]

Anyway, both these vendors have a wide range of products (apparel & accessories), & offer excellent customer service:The mudguards (& some other stuff I ordered) took a few days to arrive & I finally got around to fitting them last weekend.
Had to saw/dremel off about 1" from the rear & slightly more from the front fender stays but I think they fit well.

I couldn't get the front one to follow the contour front wheel much closely as otherwise it rose up from the front & would interfere with the front rim brake set-up.
I put 2 layers of electric tape at the point where the fender touches the front brake, to prevent scratches.

The Bicycles thread-20191109_223434.jpg
The Bicycles thread-20191109_223456.jpg

Very happy with the rear mudguard.
The Bicycles thread-20191109_223419.jpg
The Bicycles thread-20191109_223401.jpg

(The reflective decals were a later add-on.)

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2019 at 21:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks