Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 11:38   #5131
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Hello Cyclist Friends,

As Year 2020 is coming to a close, how has the year been to everyone from a cycling perspective, and any great highlights or achievements? And how's the year 2021 looking forward, any goals, plans, resolutions for year 2021?

I have the following, from year 2020 Cycling:
  • KMs covered: 6614 KM, out of which 3734 KM are Indoors. I may add another 50-75 KM before 31st December 2020
  • Training Hours: 292 Hours, out of which 156 Hours are Indoors (205 Active days in 2020)
  • Biggest Ride: 302 KMs done in February 2020
Highlights from 2020:
  • Did a self supported Bangalore to Kerala (Palakkad) cycling in February 2020 (2 day riding before COVID)
  • Did Bangalore - Mysore - Bangalore ride, twice this year (before COVID)
  • Got over the apprehension of Climbing, and did a few Nandi Hill climbs and recently a double Nandi climbing repeat
  • An entry into structured work outs with a power meter, HRM based training
Aspirations for Year 2021:
  • Nothing Specific, continue to do what I could do in 2020 and improve on it
  • Do a couple of Bicycle touring, self-supported ride and maybe participate in some touring events
  • Improve on my performance from Endurance, FTP - from where I stand currently

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:11   #5132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I have the following, from year 2020 Cycling:
  • KMs covered: 6614 KM, out of which 3734 KM are Indoors. I may add another 50-75 KM before 31st December 2020
  • Training Hours: 292 Hours, out of which 156 Hours are Indoors (205 Active days in 2020)
  • Biggest Ride: 302 KMs done in February 2020
Superb stats. I'm still mopping up. Will share post the 31st as to where we finish up.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:45   #5133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Full disclosure. I never service my cycles. Not in the sense of the typical gold, silver, diamond (insert precious expensive sounding substance here) type "service packages".

I take care of my bikes. I
Hope that gives you some answers.

Cheers, Doc
Did you say some answers? This post is gold
I mean there are many more posts by you which have given a very deep insight in to world of cycling.
I am just about starting to learn how to clean my drivetrain on regular basis.

I got comprehensive service done ( Rs 1200 ) for my Montra Rock 1.0 @ 3200kms and the difference has been massive.
Lot of things mentioned by you sound impossible to do for me, but then that itself tells me i have a lot of learning to do which is exciting.

I had plans to upgrade to a good hybrid, but the ones i want are out of stock.
So the next best option is to upgrade existing bike.

Below are things i did recently to my bike

1) Changed 26*2.1 button Mtb tyres to 1.75 Continental hybrid type tyres
2) Got a really good second hand SR Suntour XCM suspension with 80mm travel, which replaced my totally useless Zoom suspension.
3) Replaced my pedals with hybrid Merida pedals
4) Planning to put a 48T crankset to replace my current 42-32-24 setup.( Currently 48T is out of stock at few places i checked )
5) Planning to change my 7 speed casette/shifter to 8 speed.
6) Upgrade from current 7 speed Tourney to 8 speed Acera.

Last edited by silverado : 28th December 2020 at 21:54.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:41   #5134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Did you say some answers? This post is gold
I mean there are many more posts by you which have given a very deep insight in to world of cycling.
I am just about starting to learn how to clean my drivetrain on regular basis.

I got comprehensive service done ( Rs 1200 ) for my Montra Rock 1.0 @ 3200kms and the difference has been massive.
Lot of things mentioned by you sound impossible to do for me, but then that itself tells me i have a lot of learning to do which is exciting.

I had plans to upgrade to a good hybrid, but the ones i want are out of stock.
So the next best option is to upgrade existing bike.

Below are things i did recently to my bike

1) Changed 26*2.1 button Mtb tyres to 1.75 Continental hybrid type tyres
2) Got a really good second hand SR Suntour XCM suspension with 80mm travel, which replaced my totally useless Zoom suspension.
3) Replaced my pedals with hybrid Merida pedals
4) Planning to put a 48T crankset to replace my current 42-32-24 setup.( Currently 48T is out of stock at few places i checked )
These are all brilliant mods that change a trudgy MTB into a fast flatbar road bike.

Though with a front suspension it still comes under a hybrid.

Drivetrain mods are expensive and not very bang for buck if all you are doing is upping the number of cogs.

There is a 50-39-30 crank by Shimano which Ian looking at for my ACT.

Will fly!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:17   #5135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Here is an entry point to looking up product compatibility from Shimano.
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/

In computer hardware, you look at the processor, socket type, motherboard, the chipset on it, connectors, etc. This is something similar.

And two links which might help newbies who are yet to take apart their machines.

Edit:- @Magma - you are looking for this thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...g-bicycle.html

You can start research with Decathlon's MyBikr @ 5k. Or at higher budgets, their Riverside series, or Triban RC 100 flatbar. Do avoid MTBs. Or wide / thick tyres 35 is maximum.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 29th December 2020 at 09:38.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:22   #5136
BHPian

Hi
All

Got back.to.this forum after really long
( Gone are my car mod and car audio days !!)

Was
researching a bicycle and landed here
( Didn't have a clue that bhp had a cycling thread

Was looking for some
"Must read "
Or
Noob threads

( This one is a giant of a thread filled with a good amount of tech and Greek for a noob )

Are there any such threads/posts anyone can direct me to?

My cholestrol has demanded I get some.more excersice
Im almost 42
The gym is getting boring ( no enthusiasm for them.anymore )
Though I do walk 7km daily in the eveving

I was looking into biking to.control my cholestrol , loose a bit of weight and also find an alternative way to keep fit

Since I would be biking fornthe 1st time
I was hoping to see how it goes before I spend more

I thought 12k -15k would be a decent budget for my 1st bike (well at least after what I used to have as a child a century ago)

So was looking for advice there
Would not like to go over 10 to 15k on my 1st bike especially since I don't know how far this form of excercise takes me

Riding would.mainly be for 45mins to an hour
South Mumbai City roads
I'm about 75kgs
5ft -8"

Inputs/advice would be really appreciated
Or a direction to a noob/starter thread about what bike would be recommended

Last edited by Magma : 29th December 2020 at 09:30. Reason: Additiins
Old 29th December 2020, 15:05   #5137
BHPian

The riverside st120
Comes with steel frame
No disc brakes
No shock absorbers
Costs 13k

Would that be fine ??

I read a post that it's not exactly vfm
( How accurate that statement is - I do not know as well )
Though Google searching does show stuff from hero cycles , Kross, and some eastern manufactured imports that do have all the features that the riverside doesn't

Well how they are built as compared to the btwin?
I don't have a clue

Since I know little abouts bikes
I don't know what the vfm competitors of the riverside are
Old 29th December 2020, 17:22   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
The riverside st120
Comes with steel frame
No disc brakes
No shock absorbers
Costs 13k

Would that be fine ??

I read a post that it's not exactly vfm
( How accurate that statement is - I do not know as well )
Though Google searching does show stuff from hero cycles , Kross, and some eastern manufactured imports that do have all the features that the riverside doesn't

Well how they are built as compared to the btwin?
I don't have a clue

I was in the same dilemma as yours and ended up purchasing Riverside 120 last month. I find it pretty good for the price paid and it serves my purpose of leisure cycling for basic fitness purpose. And not serious biking. I normally ride for ~10 Kms every alternate day. It is light enough and the Gears work and shift well. Based on the previous discussion on this Thread, Triban 100 seems to be a favorite and preferred option, but it costs 20k + the mandatory add-on bike accessories extra. I would have gone for it but did not want to commit 20k, as i too was not sure of my interest in cycling and how long i will continue. And, am loving it so far. Though Availability is a problem and they are mostly Out of Stock. You would need to constantly keep on checking the Decathlon App if it is In Stock. Sort of a Flash Sale. I do not have much information or knowledge about the other Competitor Brands as I just got into Cycling. Hope this helps.
Old 29th December 2020, 17:24   #5139
BHPian

Quote:
The riverside st120
Comes with steel frame
No disc brakes
No shock absorbers
Costs 13k

Would that be fine ??
Rockrider 340 is better choice. I know few of the fellow riders in my group who have the 340 since last couple of years and ride regularly.

You can also consider ST100, the major upgrade over 340 will be bigger 27.5" rims with double wall which you can convert into tubeless if you want. Although it felt bit heavy when I checked at my local store.
Old 29th December 2020, 18:23   #5140
BANNED

Quote:
The riverside st120
Comes with steel frame
No disc brakes
No shock absorbers
Costs 13k

Would that be fine ??

First, your height. That is most important factor in deciding the cycle size aka frame size. Tyre sizes, are relevant, but if you go by that alone, you will end up with knee damage. I'm on the wrong side of the 40s spectrum, and have recently purchased two cycles, and I guess I can say that.

The hercules 26er @ ₹ 46xx seems like a Bullock cart with sequentially arranged tyres when compared to the Riverside 100. On the b'twin, the pedals are like electronic power steering.

Dont go for the Rickrider series. It is an MTB. You dont need shock absorbers or discs in Mumbai. Unless you intend to do 30kmph in monsoon season on wet roads. Or you want to climb up and down mountains. Riverside are plain lands, rockriders ride the rocks. Pick your choice. Thar / Safari / Gypsies are good vehicles. But to drive them on roads alone is inappropriate, many do it, you can join them if you want. Fatter tyres offer more road resistance, that is why I suggest to stick to 35. 32 or thinner is better.

Apart from frame size and tyres, overall cycle weight too counts. Decathlon's hybrid offerings are an absolute VFM there. One thing you'll want to unlove about the Riverside series is the chain ring, which is 36 or 38 T. (36 or 38 teeth in the front cogs around which the chain is wrapped). More the better - you go faster, but put in more efforts while climbing. MTBs come with 42 T, an advantage wiped out by tyre sizes, while other brands with 46, 48 or 50 teeth are either heavier by weight or burn a hole in your pocket. (Eg - Scott has a hybrid 2021 model, something 980 @ 32k).

Summary - frame size to match your height. (Size S for upto 164 cm, 165 - 17x is M, and 17x+1 and above is L, and other manufacturers have different sizing charts).

Light weight

Thinner tyres, better. Stick to hybrid geometry.

Forget gears and disc brakes for now. If you start doing 15+ km per day and average 50 km per week for 2 - 3 months, you can think of upgrades). Suspension is for off reading.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 29th December 2020 at 18:26.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:58   #5141
BHPian

Quote:

I check the spokes for tension while cleaning the wheels as force of habit. I can detect play in the hubs or crank or headset.

I hate even a barely perceptible click in my pedals and the first sign of that under load I get the pedals stripped by a pro and get the balls and grease changed.

And I go to guys who have the passion for the bikes and are preferably riders themselves.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I know what you mean. Even I was shocked on seeing service costs, for a cycle costing a few thousands
Thanks Doc Your post really helped a lot. I was able to get my tool kit assembled and get some hands on. I am getting some old chains etc from my local bike store to get some hands on the chain split etc. Can you please guide me on how you are able to judge the spoke tension ?

Also as you said I was able to go around and found a shop which is offering the same service at almost 1/3rd the price with some more stuff added. I am planning to have a once over done by this guy and keep building up on my skills in the meantime.

@Sebring yep imagine the shock I was in for looking at the price list. I am not complaining though. If not for this incident I would have ignored bike repair and maintenance. In the end all is well
babayaga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:31   #5142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
Thanks Doc Your post really helped a lot. I was able to get my tool kit assembled and get some hands on. I am getting some old chains etc from my local bike store to get some hands on the chain split etc. Can you please guide me on how you are able to judge the spoke tension ?

Also as you said I was able to go around and found a shop which is offering the same service at almost 1/3rd the price with some more stuff added. I am planning to have a once over done by this guy and keep building up on my skills in the meantime.

@Sebring yep imagine the shock I was in for looking at the price list. I am not complaining though. If not for this incident I would have ignored bike repair and maintenance. In the end all is well
While cleaning the wheel just run your fingers across the spokes. They should feel taut.

You could plink them with a screwdriver too. Not necessary. You can usually make out a loose spoke immediately.

Use You Tube. When in a fix I always find an answer there. Even if I do not do it myself, I at least know what needs to be done it looked at. Helps a lot.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 29th December 2020 at 19:34.
Old 29th December 2020, 19:49   #5143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Since I would be biking fornthe 1st time
I was hoping to see how it goes before I spend more
This is the case with almost everyone If you have a good cycle shop nearby who can give you a rental thats the best way to start.

Strike a deal with him to wave off the rental if you buy a cycle from shop.
Good luck.

Would advise to buy a decent bike to start with. Cheap bikes will put you off cycling. Better the bike , more you will feel like cycling.
Old 29th December 2020, 20:02   #5144
BHPian

@abhi
Yep the tribhan looks like sports geometry
It requires a more aggressive leaning posture
The riverside seemed more relaxed

Luckily the decath store in mumbai always has them

Infact the riverside st500( discs, suspension , alloy frame )
Is excellent
I would actually buy it - but since this is my first buke and I don't know weather I'll actually do justice to the 500
I was looking to stay under 14k
That leaves only the st120

@tbpbp
I found the rockrider needed a bit more effort to ride
Ofcourse I'm guessing the advantage with mtbs is probably more durable tyres
Dunno if thicker tyres equate to more stability
If they do then that's probably maybe an advantage to begginerrs

@Backseat
Thanks
Your advice well taken

I also came across
This

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/bicycles/triad-x3

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...s/waltx-trak-3

https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...x-tempest-2012

https://www.amazon.in/Btwin-Riversid.../dp/B07G48T1M3

Btwin
Doesn't really give the Shimano
That's the only put off

Last edited by bblost : 29th December 2020 at 20:29. Reason: back to back
Old 29th December 2020, 20:06   #5145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though with a front suspension it still comes under a hybrid.
Drivetrain mods are expensive and not very bang for buck if all you are doing is upping the number of cogs.There is a 50-39-30 crank by Shimano which Ian looking at for my ACT.
Having been deprived of a good suspension, i am enjoying the new one.
The reason for drivetrain mods is to expand the range, 50T is pure road bike territory, but 30T on low end might make climbing tough IMO.

Hence thinking about 48T, with lowest at 28T at front.
At rear current setup is 28-14T which is quite narrow.Would try to look for 34-11 atleast or a 36-11 if its compatible.

Shifter and rear derailleurs would upgrade from Tourney to Acera.
If all of above falls under 6-7k, i may think about it.( Since as you said its not bang for buck and the difference may not be much )

Last edited by silverado : 29th December 2020 at 20:14.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks