Team-BHP - The Bicycles thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   The Bicycles thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/20785-bicycles-thread-390.html)

I will put the bar back to stock position and relook at the the bike fit again. Just watched a bunch of videos on this. Hmm, i will look into the stem/seat etc as well. I liked the room on the large, just didn't feel cramped up. Does inseam also make a difference in these things along with arm length?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 5087429)
I will put the bar back to stock position and relook at the the bike fit again. Just watched a bunch of videos on this.

If the RC 120 is for sale (looks like a demo piece), exchange your bike for it. Will save you months of hardship and a lot of expense in different stems, before you come to the conclusion I am telling you now.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087431)
If the RC 120 is for sale (looks like a demo piece), exchange your bike for it. Will save you months of hardship and a lot of expense in different stems, before you come to the conclusion I am telling you now.

Cheers, Doc

Its their demo bike lol.

My crotch has a bit of breathing space in the large when i stand over the frame. Say about two fingers. The medium felt a bit too low when standing over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 5087432)
Its their demo bike lol.

Also my crotch hits the frame on the medium when i stand over it lol: in the large i have some breathing space.

Am i just weirdly shaped haha.

Bhai, it's the opposite ... i.e. L standover height will be more than M. Which means the top tube will be closer to your crotch in the L..

See the chart. Look at the dimensions of standover height for L Vs M.

Edit: Standover height is not given. But the head tube of L is 3 cm bigger than M. Which means the top tube will be approximately as much higher as well.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087434)
Bhai, it's the opposite ... i.e. L standover height will be more than M. Which means the top tube will be closer to your crotch in the L..

See the chart. Look at the dimensions of standover height for L Vs M.

Cheers, Doc

Yeah you quoted me when i realized that and edited the thing rl:

Okay let me work this out and come back to you guys. I felt the large frame to be significantly nicer at the store.

The instore measurements i think differ from what you attached here. I referred the website and showed them my sizing, and they said its not right and showed me a board instore which had different measurements and put me in a large... Go figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087416)
No need to panic but at a L the frame is a size too large for you.

As a comparison, I am 180 cm and I need a M in this Triban frame.

This is from the French website ... passed on by a friend working in Decathlon.

Attachment 2170208

Cheers, Doc

Now I am kinda worried about this. I booked a L and my height is 181 cm. So it's borderline between the M and L :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R (Post 5087441)
Now I am kinda worried about this. I booked a L and my height is 181 cm. So it's borderline between the M and L :eek:

For you it should be ok. Coz the cut off is 182 cm (just 1 cm more, easily adjusted for in a number of ways).

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 5087437)
The instore measurements i think differ from what you attached here. I referred the website and showed them my sizing, and they said its not right and showed meditede a board instore which had different measurements and put me in a large... Go figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R (Post 5087441)

This is the size chart for the RC500. It's a bit different than the one I shared earlier for the RC100 (and 120), coz the frames are different.

If you notice, the RC500 has dropped seat stays and a slightly more sloping (effectively shorter) top tube, making it a lot more endurance focused than the RC100/120, which are more gravel bike geometry.

The Bicycles thread-images-4.jpeg

So Red Liner, you should be okay after all. :thumbs up

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIVTEC (Post 5052521)
Will put out a detailed post on specs,why I went for a build, initial impressions
Attachment 2149716

A very long post
Spec:
1.Merida Scultura YC edition XS size frameset with a full 105 R7000 groupset,170mm Ultegra R8000 crankset(50-34)
2.40cm FSA Vero compact drop bar
3.Shimano RS100 wheelset
4.Prologo NagoevoPas T2.0 saddle on Merida's Expert CC carbon seatpost
5.Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x25c
4.Shimano PD-R550 pedals

Why did I go for a bike build?

Short answer : I couldn't wait for my dream bike(Scultura 300) any longer.Let's rewind a bit. I was hoping to get my bike in October last year (waiting since June 2020)and with every passing month I got bad news only. End of Feb, I get a confirmation from my LBS that I can expect 2021 Merida's to come sometime in April. I was without a bike for a month and during this time I did some more searching for alternatives but to no luck. Scott Speedster range had just hit the market but the price increase was a bit hard to digest Vs what you were getting. Come April, no news of where the Merida container is and by this time:Frustrati, I had checked with all bike shops in Bangalore for any bike available in my size (I'm 5'1) and got a choice of 3 framesets Merida Reacto, Scultura YC and the Basso Venta. I was 100% sure dad wouldn't approve of the build route and he proved me wrong.I really can't thank him enough for it!! Checked out the frames and by this time the Basso was already sold so it was a fight between the Reacto and Scultura. The Reacto would have been too aggressive for me so picked up the Scultura YC. Before starting the build, the LBS didn't have a 170mm 105 crank but an ultegra crank was available so I got a free upgrade!The whole bike weighs in at 8.4kgs with pedals and bottle cage.

Initial Impressions

The paint on this carbon frame is a mix of black and blue glitter and only in sunlight do you get to see the beautiful paintjob in its true glory.The ride is super stiff but when you attack it just goes.Reaching 50-55kmh is no problemo and the 105 dual pivot brakes slow you down in no time. I've been quite impressed by the grip the tyres give while cornering. Ridden only 430kms out of which most of the riding has been inside the apartment complex (due to lockdown). I did get a bike fit done but it seems like I need to make a few more tweaks to make it perfect.Shall post a long term review by September.A few pics from the last ride.
The Bicycles thread-20210621_073915.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210621_073746.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087466)
This is the size chart for the RC500. It's a bit different than the one I shared earlier for the RC100 (and 120), coz the frames are different.

If you notice, the RC500 has dropped seat stays and a slightly more sloping (effectively shorter) top tube, making it a lot more endurance focused than the RC100/120, which are more gravel bike geometry.

Attachment 2170223

Cheers, Doc

Thanks a ton for explaining it out Doc. Really appreciate your help :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087466)

Attachment 2170223

Cheers, Doc

THANK THE GODS IN HEAVEN rl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIVTEC (Post 5087488)
A very long post
Spec:
1.Merida Scultura YC edition XS size frameset with a full 105 R7000 groupset,170mm Ultegra R8000 crankset(50-34)
2.40cm FSA Vero compact drop bar
3.Shimano RS100 wheelset
4.Prologo NagoevoPas T2.0 saddle on Merida's Expert CC carbon seatpost
5.Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x25c
4.Shimano PD-R550 pedals

Nice build! Especially in your size, even buying used becomes an issue. That said, doesn't a build workout much more expensive because except for the frame where you might be getting some kind of deal, for the rest of the components you would be paying near full price?

R7000 groupset retails for 55,000 bucks. The Ultegra crank is near 2.5 times the price of the105 crank.

Can you share the prices and how it works out ... compared to a ready-made factory bike.

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 5087637)
Doesn't a build workout much more expensive because except for the frame where you might be getting some kind of deal, for the rest of the components you would be paying near full price?
Can you share the prices and how it works out ... compared to a ready-made factory bike.
Cheers, Doc

Indeed it's way more expensive to go the build route!! I paid 1.8L for the bike(excluding pedals and bottle cage) which I think is a really good deal considering the frame costs 1.1L.

All CF2 Scultura frames(4000,5000,6000,YC)are same except different groupset and colours as you go higher up the ladder . I think you could compare this build to an OEM Merida Scultura 4000 (105 R7000 out of the box)which retailed at 1.56L precovid before discounts I believe which leads to a 24k difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIVTEC (Post 5087767)
Indeed it's way more expensive to go the build route!! I paid 1.8L for the bike(excluding pedals and bottle cage) which I think is a really good deal considering the frame costs 1.1L.

All CF2 Scultura frames(4000,5000,6000,YC)are same except different groupset and colours as you go higher up the ladder . I think you could compare this build to an OEM Merida Scultura 4000 (105 R7000 out of the box)which retailed at 1.56L precovid before discounts I believe which leads to a 24k difference.

That's very very decent in terms of premium paid to get a hand-picked components fitted high end carbon bike at a time when absolutely nothing is available and there's nothing firm on the horizon either.

This is the Scultura 4000 factory from the same container which you were talking about and thousands of cyclists all over India are waiting for, cash in hand (but no one willing to take it)!

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210624144041.png

My only possible gripe is the wheels you've gone in for on this premium build. I personally would have gone for one of the Fulcrum Racing series if I could have gotten my hands on them. The Shimanos are great bomb-proof wheels though, but not the lightest or the best rolling. But yes, those would have pushed your build north of 2 lacs. So a good choice all things considered. :thumbs up

Cheers, Doc

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSIVTEC (Post 5087767)

Who's able to get (or has) the necessary components in this current situation? Can you share the shop/store details? I would be looking at upgrading some of the components on my road bike sometime later this year. Would be helpful