Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 08:58   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is this the one from Decathlon? Not anywhere close to the price you mentioned lol

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8486991/c...8486991&type=p

Shimano and a bit more expensive https://www.cyclop.in/products/shima...ss-pedal-black

Would these be more comfortable than regular pedals? My feet keep coming off the pedal on the upswing.
That's 500 bucks more than what I mentioned, and what they were last time I checked. It's inflation and plain pandemic profiteering / demand and supply.

Most bikes have increased 5-10k since the past 12 months, as an illustration.

The Shimanos are not the ones I have. They are the most basic narrower resin body ones.

I think it's too early for clipless pedals for you since you've hardly ridden the bike yet. And clipless pedals involve a number of falls initially. Even riders who have been using them for long fall once in a while.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:02   #5912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's 500 bucks more than what I mentioned, and what they were last time I checked. It's inflation and plain pandemic profiteering / demand and supply.

Most bikes have increased 5-10k since the past 12 months, as an illustration.

The Shimanos are not the ones I have. They are the most basic narrower resin body ones.

I think it's too early for clipless pedals for you since you've hardly ridden the bike yet. And clipless pedals involve a number of falls initially. Even riders who have been using them for long fall once in a while.

Cheers, Doc
Okay. I will.reinstall the foot clips loop thing on the bike instead and practice.
Old 30th June 2021, 09:07   #5913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would these be more comfortable than regular pedals? My feet keep coming off the pedal on the upswing.
Quote:

+1 to every part of Doc's response above.

I too have used (and discarded) the Decathlon Pedals, and now use Shimano 550s which are way better. However, even after years of riding with Cleats, I have recently gone back to standard platform pedals given that the traffic situation in my vicinity has lately worsened due to some long running road works.
Clipless pedals will take a while getting used to, so it is important to first bed in with the road bike experience and develop the right muscle memory for the control and handling aspects.
I have had many falls with clipless pedals over the years. Some have been quite funny where I have rolled to a dead stop and in my exhausted state completely forgotten to unclip and taken a sideways tumble in slow motion. Others not so funny when my bike has been de-stabilised by a rut or someone has suddenly jumped in my way, leading to an accident of sorts.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:17   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have had many falls with clipless pedals over the years. Some have been quite funny where I have rolled to a dead stop and in my exhausted state completely forgotten to unclip and taken a sideways tumble in slow motion. Others not so funny when my bike has been de-stabilised by a rut or someone has suddenly jumped in my way, leading to an accident of sorts.
For a 85 kilo guy who falls like a sack of cement (no fancy Moto GP tucking and rolling) no fall is funny. What's also not funny is that I tend always to fall on the right side and it messes up my derailleur hanger .

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:43   #5915
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 on the falls. Every fall hurts - more than the physical, it was more psychological for me I fell a few times in the US which is when I used it for about a year. On one fall during a brevet, cars that were traveling behind me stopped and one even started calling the cops for help. I felt so mortified that I started apologizing to them. Not used to getting attention of that kind, I think that's the point when I gradually started reducing the usage of the clipless pedals. Also the type of rides I do - getting on & off was more, so it really didn't make a case to have those.
Old 30th June 2021, 09:50   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Every fall hurts - more than the physical, it was more psychological for me ....
I think that's the point when I gradually started reducing the usage of the clipless pedals. Also the type of rides I do - getting on & off was more, so it really didn't make a case to have those.
Yeah I agree they hurt, if not physically then even more so psychologically. I also had a tumble during the home stretch of a brevet once and I almost gave up on completing it.
I have also realized that now, at my age especially, riding a road bike is more about the experience and the pleasure. Using platform pedals, instead of clipless pedals perhaps shaves 3-5 kmph on overall average speeds, but makes my rides a lot less precarious and carefree.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:55   #5917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1 on the falls. Every fall hurts - more than the physical, it was more psychological for me I fell a few times in the US which is when I used it for about a year. On one fall during a brevet, cars that were traveling behind me stopped and one even started calling the cops for help. I felt so mortified that I started apologizing to them. Not used to getting attention of that kind, I think that's the point when I gradually started reducing the usage of the clipless pedals. Also the type of rides I do - getting on & off was more, so it really didn't make a case to have those.
Brevets and touring and bikepacking and all sorts of non-competitive dirt I would always use platform pedals.

I have/had lovely wide body grippy Concept resin pedals on my CAAD. The foot was properly anchored through the pedal stroke. So much so that a change of position actually involved a slight lifting up of the foot off the pedal.

Most road bikers will not admit to it but there is also the "image" thing.

It's really twisted in a deviant sort of way to see a Pinarello Dogma with platform pedals. My eyes actually hurt when I see the GCN clipless Vs flat experiment videos Lol

Cheers, Doc
Old 30th June 2021, 10:37   #5918
BHPian

Quote:
I tend always to fall on the right side and it messes up my derailleur hanger .
Cheers, Doc
Are you a left hander, Doc? Most people (me ) tend to fall on their left.
https://cyclingtips.com/2012/08/the-dominant-left/
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 10:55   #5919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Are you a left hander, Doc? Most people (me ) tend to fall on their left.
https://cyclingtips.com/2012/08/the-dominant-left/
No I'm right handed. That's a superb article. Will read when I get some more time!

It's largely true for my motorcycle crashes too.

But on the road bike -

My falling to the right is because I'm clipped in on the right and I unclip my left foot. Muscle memory builds up for the left. But sometimes your weight is going to the right.

And you cannot clip out fast enough. Or forget that you have to Or simply don't and go down with a thud.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 30th June 2021 at 10:57.
Old 30th June 2021, 16:06   #5920
Senior - BHPian

As morbid it might sound, it gives me a great sense of happiness to know when people fall off their clipless pedals. Dont get me wrong, this is simply the feeling that you get when you realize you are not alone

Haven't fallen countless number of times after moving to clipless (Just completed my 1st year). Left side, Right side, Signals, U-turn, sometimes even while ending a ride ! It is hilarious for obvious reasons. But i can never think of going back to normal pedal, since clipless give you that feel of being connected with the Bike. To me it is just a matter of getting used to, some might take longer, but eventually practice makes a man perfect.

BTW, just got my second pair of shoes with Cleats. This time a Lake CF shoes (CX301)

https://road.cc/content/review/22641...ad-carbon-shoe
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:03   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
since clipless give you that feel of being connected with the Bike.
That is the bottom line.

Now when I go back to my ACT and ride it, I can "feel" something weird at every revolution of the pedal crank.

Like the foot is somehow "floating/weightless" at one point of the arc ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 30th June 2021 at 18:05.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:57   #5922
BHPian

This is a suggestion request. Following this group's advice I picked up a Triban 100 Flat Bar. And I am very happy with it.

Now I am looking for a second bike, for my better half. Usage is primarily for weekend rides up to 50kms within the city, similar to mine.

The Triban Flat Bar is no longer in stock and I have been waiting for a while now. Practically given up for it to come back in stock. Moreover the tires are more road profile 700 x 25. I like the 700 x 32 hybrid ones that mine came with.

On the other hand, the local Firefox dealer has just received a Rapide 21s. It is definitely heavier. Else it looks good and well put together.

May be the the answer is obvious but would like to hear your thoughts :-)

Rapide or wait for the Triban to come back in stock?

The other consideration is service. I have good experience with Decathlon. Not sure of Rapide reliability/quality
Old 1st July 2021, 12:46   #5923
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess a floor pump is mandatory now.

Is this the one to get for the money?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8303706/c...8303706&type=p

Or something else? Anyone with the experience to recommend one for us noobs please? Doc, ninja and the others?
Old 1st July 2021, 12:50   #5924
BHPian

Quote:

Or something else? Anyone with the experience to recommend one for us noobs please? Doc, ninja and the others?
This is the one am using and it is value for money. you can try to get a portable pump too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
This is a suggestion request. Following this group's advice I picked up a Triban 100 Flat Bar. And I am very happy with it.

The other consideration is service. I have good experience with Decathlon. Not sure of Rapide reliability/quality
Btwin is always better than Firefox. I will wait for Triban as this is going to be a long term investment.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st July 2021 at 14:02. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:17   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup should be fine. A friend has the same one.

The Bicycles thread-img20210204wa0006.jpg

I have an older more expensive version (900 I think) where the dial gauge markings have smaller units for greater accuracy. Also since I have cycles at home with all types of valves, I bought extra the two sided adaptor from decathlon to replace this fidgety one that requires a lot 9f acrobatics to change from Presta to Shraeder and vice versa. On the new valve there's just a lever. Simple and worth it if you have many bikes.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210204_100555.jpg

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Sadly the new 900 has the two way valve adaptor, but the dial is the same as the 500. No smaller markings. You will have to guesstimate.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2021 at 13:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks