Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 21:05   #6391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Ahhh... just when Doc had started making me feel bad about slogging away on my mtb's, and I was getting ready to entrust myself to skinny rubber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I ride road bikes only. I just can not get myself to feel comfortable on straight bars. But I too agree about slim tires being a little risky on slippery roads. In fact, I have had a few crashes in the past on road bikes.

The best solution I have gravitated towards over the years is a mish-mash bike of sorts. The frame is a Hero Thunder MTB (aluminium alloy). The wheels are 26 inch Decathlon Rockrider, with 1.5 inch tires with decent road rolling treads...

It handles the rough with aplomb. The fork being rigid, it feels pretty much like a heavy road bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
So, after my recent accident on my Carbon Merckx roadie, partly contributed to by the narrow wheels on bad roads and drainage grills, I came to the conclusion that an MTB is the way forward on our bad inner roads, more so during monsoons.

Alu frame,
Suntour 100mm shocks with lockout,
Tourney-Acera combination,
3x8 gearing and mechanical discs.
Quick releases front and back and also a quick release type adjustable seat post. It has hidden cables.
The bike weighs in at 15 kg. I paid 36K online. !

Thanks a ton, guys!

Honestly did get thinking that as I'm not a serious rider/trainer or even avid group rider, knee injuries are probably going to be pretty predictable/ preventable, whereas mad motorists & road obstacles are considerably less so (and I value my skull/neck/spine and other parts, too)... A bit more rubber on the road seems wise actually. Aside from off-rosd.

[Dont worry, Doc - will see the Riverside 700C build through and put in some time on it for sure. Waiting for tyres/tubes.. and just realized today that my seat post was sawed off by a previous owner and is 2" shorter than I need it - and it's an oddball 26mm (not 25.4 / 1") size, I guess from back when Decathlon was really French and they weren't about to use an Imperial measurement??!!! - Anyone with leads here on a source?]

The '91 sounds spec'd very similar to my Raleigh Conan 29er ('cept I managed hydraulic brakes in the deal), at about the same weight. Mine got a little heavier with the carrier and Ralson Explorers vs. the original Maxxis.

That Thunder is so cool... I've got one I'd already got running several months ago but-needs some cosmetic refurb and refining which I guess is my next project I too may consider a 2x9, as I've got a nice (freebie) Mavic rear wheel with cassette setup waitiing. It is my lightest bike by far, around 12kg on my scale - so I don't know whether my scale's off or your tool kit /tyres are REALLY heavy (I've got Schwalbe/ Kenda on it). Doc, you'd said the Rockrider 300's were 16kg, and remember those had not only a steel frame, but steel cranks, neck, handlebar, seat post, brakes... The only aluminum on them was the rims and brake levers! Whereas contrastingly the Hero's only substantial steel is in the bottom bracket, chain/sprockets, axles, derailleurs - where almost all bikes have it.

My Schwalbe Blackjack has a very prominent and fairly unbroken center rib thst is said to roll well, but I too thought to go for some hybrid-design 26x1.5's for it. - anyone know a good online source?

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 18th August 2021 at 21:10.
Old 18th August 2021, 21:42   #6392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Ahhh... just when Doc had started making me feel bad about slogging away on my mtb's, and I was getting ready to entrust myself to skinny rubber...

-Eric
Lol I'm not having your old bones on my conscience. I have enough of my own.

I still maintain that 28 to 30 is enough rubber for the kind 0f photos of your rides you've been sharing. If you want to still feel really comfy and safe, go 32 or 35. All of these in smooth rolling non proud tread.

Both of the gents above were talking of proper roadie tyres, likely 23 or 25c's. Yes those can get dicey in the wet especially on fast descents.

Your call. Whatever you enjoy riding on. Those MTB tyres on tarmac are just plain effort sapping. They do nothing to enhance grip till you hit proper mud.

Cheers, Doc
Old 21st August 2021, 13:09   #6393
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed that a spoke on rear wheel is broken right at the hook part. Nearest Decathlon is 100kms away. There are a few cycle shops here but I would like to do it at home... Tips? Or I should get it done professionally? Bike has run around 400kms, is it too premature for the spoke to break?
Old 21st August 2021, 19:20   #6394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just noticed that a spoke on rear wheel is broken right at the hook part. Nearest Decathlon is 100kms away. There are a few cycle shops here but I would like to do it at home... Tips? Or I should get it done professionally? Bike has run around 400kms, is it too premature for the spoke to break?
A spoke breaking on a brand new bike means the wheel is not built (laced) properly. Get the spoke replace and the wheel properly tuned and balanced by a old school wheel man (the old-ish guys found in shops working on wheels). Somehow very few (if at all) new age "fancy cycle trained" mechanics are even a fraction as good. They know all the theory. And have all the fancy jigs and tools and gauges. But I've never had a good experience compared to the former.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 21:59   #6395
BANNED

Please suggest a entry level road bike with endurance geometry around 60k, this is for weekend rides under 100km need a bike which pickups up speed fast. Shortlisted Triban RC500, Polygon Strattos s2 and Scott speedster 40.
Which one among these will be more fun to ride.?
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:28   #6396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I'm VERY tempted to now convert my ACT into a drop bar monsoon / everyday / every road / training bike with 28c or max 30c tyres.

Could you ask your store guy if he has any Ralsons (or other Indian make) in these sizes please?

Cheers, Doc
Doc, I checked with my store. He has only 35c and 25c.
I am not sure if Ralson has those other sizes as I was browsing their website and did not see them.

Guys, any of you use multitool? If yes, what is the feedback? Today I encountered chain breaking. I had a multitool that I ordered from AliExpress long back. It has chain tool. But while removing the pin of broken link, the tool got bent. Looks like poor material. I had used it earlier at home once and it did its job, but not today. Had to walk some 4 kms to a bike shop to get the chain fixed.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:33   #6397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A spoke breaking on a brand new bike means the wheel is not built (laced) properly. Get the spoke replace and the wheel properly tuned and balanced by a old school wheel man (the old-ish guys found in shops working on wheels). Somehow very few (if at all) new age "fancy cycle trained" mechanics are even a fraction as good. They know all the theory. And have all the fancy jigs and tools and gauges. But I've never had a good experience compared to the former.
Finding the exact matching spoke turned out to be a chore. Had to go almost all cycle shops here. Finally, an old school, like REALLY old cycle shop had it in silver color. I could not wait till I went to Pune to Decathlon for fixing the bike.
They also fixed the 'out' and tuned it well. All for Rs. 95.

The Bicycles thread-20210822_123422.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210822_122608.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 20:10   #6398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Finding the exact matching spoke turned out to be a chore. Had to go almost all cycle shops here. Finally, an old school, like REALLY old cycle shop had it in silver color. I could not wait till I went to Pune to Decathlon for fixing the bike.
They also fixed the 'out' and tuned it well. All for Rs. 95.

Attachment 2196865

Attachment 2196866
Perfect. The young guy working on your wheel is the senior apprentice of the old man holding your tube. The old guy is keeping an eagle eye all the same
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:04   #6399
BHPian

Quote:
Lol I'm not having your old bones on my conscience. I have enough of my own.

I still maintain that 28 to 30 is enough rubber for the kind 0f photos of your rides you've been sharing. If you want to still feel really comfy and safe, go 32 or 35. All of these in smooth rolling non proud tread.

Both of the gents above were talking of proper roadie tyres, likely 23 or 25c's. Yes those can get dicey in the wet especially on fast descents.

Your call. Whatever you enjoy riding on. Those MTB tyres on tarmac are just plain effort sapping. They do nothing to enhance grip till you hit proper mud.

Cheers, Doc
You know what Doc? Like everyone else, I too had been riding 23's and 25's at 90-100 psi for years until the fat is also fast trend started.

Recently, I got some very nice Pirelli P Zero Velo 4s tires in 28c. Amazing grip and very smooth rolling. The best tires I have ridden so far. I then started experimenting with lower pressures. I have ridden on tarmac at even 60 psi, with no negative issues. I had no problem keeping up with ride partners who were still on 23's and carbon bikes. I ride steel.

Of course, all this was before the rains. I do not ride my road bike in the rain. I do ride my fixed gear with these tires and it is fine. However, 28's do not have that bomb proof feel of the 37's on my rain bike.
prabuddhadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:31   #6400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
You know what Doc? Like everyone else, I too had been riding 23's and 25's at 90-100 psi for years until the fat is also fast trend started.

Recently, I got some very nice Pirelli P Zero Velo 4s tires in 28c. Amazing grip and very smooth rolling. The best tires I have ridden so far. I then started experimenting with lower pressures. I have ridden on tarmac at even 60 psi, with no negative issues. I had no problem keeping up with ride partners who were still on 23's and carbon bikes. I ride steel.

Of course, all this was before the rains. I do not ride my road bike in the rain. I do ride my fixed gear with these tires and it is fine. However, 28's do not have that bomb proof feel of the 37's on my rain bike.
I ride an aluminium Cannondale CAAD8, and like all pre 2016 road bikes, it has clearance for a maximum tyre width of 25c only. I mean I don't deny that 28 is the new 25, but I do ride with a ton of senior riders once in a way who have raced on 19 mm tyres for their entire racing careers, and for them 21 or 23c's were equivalent to gravel or training or wet road tyres. So like brakes it's all relative. Wgat Durianrider in the case of old pros like Valverde calls the "reptile brain" ... the one you subconsciously and instinctively revert too through years of a conditioned reflex. I've till date only ridden on 23c's. In the wet too, though like you I too prefer only my ACT for wet duties. The next set I buy (I have a set of Kendas and Gatorskins to go through first) I will try a pair of 25c's. I run 60/55 psi rear/front on my ACT 35c's. At 85 kilos I don't think I could go lower for tarmac. On 23c's I've run a lowest of 100 psi on my GRL tyres (which were rated for 100 psi). But the Gatorskins I've run 110 psi front and rear. I don't mind a bit of road feedback as a result but I really don't want a puncture and this pressure tends to knock and flick free away most sharp road debris without giving it any "give" to pierce and then lodge inside the rubber. The fat is fast trend comes with a caveat which most guys don't talk about. Which is that fat is fast at a lower pressure than the same lower pressures for thinner tyres. And especially so on iffy surfaces where higher pressures cause thinner contact patches to jump and lose watts. Most guys I know just blindly go with the fatter is faster when they see my 23c blades. Lol I listen, smile, and ride on.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd August 2021 at 17:35.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 00:50   #6401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Introducing my 2 years old tough and dependable ride, a four-digit drop bar hybrid "BLACK TIGER"
Yours is a cycle made by Tata Stryder https://stryderbikes.com
But look at https://tatacycle.in/. Probably a scam site, going by the prices.

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th August 2021 at 00:59.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 07:01   #6402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yours is a cycle made by Tata Stryder https://stryderbikes.com
Correct, Mine is this particular model

https://stryderbikes.com/product/700c-hyb-100/

Purchased from a local shop for 7800rs in Sept-2019. Since then added drops, 16-T freewheel, 14-T freewheel, and finally Touney TZ. Even after adding and removing these stuffs cost has not touched 10k yet, hence mentioned it as four-digit hybrid.

Quote:
Definitely appears like a fraud site but apart from unrealistic prices and
insane discounts being offered, it has surprising amount of details for products .
Old 24th August 2021, 10:35   #6403
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Definitely appears like a fraud site but apart from unrealistic prices and
insane discounts being offered, it has surprising amount of details for products .
Exactly my thought. Just yesterday I stumbled on that website and looking at the prices I got a feeling that it is probably a fake site to scam people.

Doc, the site lists the address in Kothrud, Pune which happens to be an area closer to you. Any idea about authenticity of the store? Have you visited it?
Old 24th August 2021, 10:56   #6404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Exactly my thought. Just yesterday I stumbled on that website and looking at the prices I got a feeling that it is probably a fake site to scam people.

Doc, the site lists the address in Kothrud, Pune which happens to be an area closer to you. Any idea about authenticity of the store? Have you visited it?
No I have not. More than the prices it's the availability.

However, being Tata it might very well not have been updated since before the pandemic. Lol

Kothrud is like another city for me man ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th August 2021 at 11:21.
Old 26th August 2021, 07:08   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I was just checking this morning i.e. 7am IST.
Looks like the site is taken down.

Most Viewed