Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 15:48   #6766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Big big mistake choosing a Decathlon bike over a Trek thoroughbred. That too at the same price point without paying any brand premium.

You are making the common mistake of getting swayed by componentry, and losing sight of the heart of the bike. Its frame and wheelset.

Cheers, Doc
+100 to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Doc please elaborate the advantages of a Trek over Triban.
It's like saying I'll skip a Toyota over a Tata because the Tata vehicle has latest touch screen music system, wireless charging, better tires, nice colors and other sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
It checks all the boxes for me and at ~60k I am getting Shimano Sora, Carbon fork and Disc brakes so it seems like a no brainer.
Thank you for all the help.
I would have preferred the endurance frame gravel bike Marin Gesalt, after trying a test ride (or atleast trying all the bike options in a shop/showroom). Decathlon bikes are okay if one is plonking 10-20k on a first bike. Upwards of 50k - one needs to do a bit more elaborate & detailed in-person evaluation of options.

You wouldn't choose a ~70k scooter or a bike just by vehicle features and specifications, right? It's the same for a cycle decision, especially at that price point. Take more time and do a more informed / evaluated decision. If then the Triban feels the best option, then go for it.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 15:59   #6767
Senior - BHPian

The Domane is a lovely bike. It's very close to the frame weight of an equivalent CAAD frame of Cannondale, which is considered best in class.

Just look at the two frames side by side and you can see the difference in finish, weld smoothness, tube shapes, and the overall geometry of the bike, forget all the technical jazz like isocoupler etc. which does do a lot in smoothening out your long rides and preventing fatigue.

One thing also I have been noticing off late in many Decathlon bikes is wheel failures. Broken spokes. Rims needing to be trued again and again. Hubs getting destroyed.

Two of my friends with the old Sora Tribans (the black and white one). Same issues. One of them has got so frustrated waiting for a replacement hub that he's gone and bought a new Shimano RS100 wheelset finally.

The Trek comes with Bontrager wheels and Formula hubs.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th January 2022 at 16:15.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 19:23   #6768
BHPian

Quote:
Big big mistake choosing a Decathlon bike over a Trek thoroughbred. That too at the same price point without paying any brand premium.

You are making the common mistake of getting swayed by componentry, and losing sight of the heart of the bike. Its frame and wheelset.

Cheers, Doc
I agree. By the way just came to know trek has increased their prices by 10-15% effective 7 January.
Old 7th January 2022, 20:03   #6769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
I agree. By the way just came to know trek has increased their prices by 10-15% effective 7 January.
It's a seller's market. And it's only going to get worse.
Old 7th January 2022, 20:07   #6770
BHPian

Quote:
It's a seller's market. And it's only going to get worse.
You bet…this time they are citing lack of availability of part(s) for sourcing. Personally I think the timing is tactical another wave..restrictions may be another lockdown
jimmyjagga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 20:17   #6771
Senior - BHPian

The rear wheel of my bike keeps going out of tune. Almost every month I true it and then it goes off slowly but surely - the front wheel never needed truing. Its been close to 3300kms now and I think I have straightened rear wheel about 5 times. What could be wrong?
It was replaced once under warranty because the spokes broke, so I guess it has about 2000km on it. Don't think it hampers my performance but my OCD kicks in every time I am lubing :/
What is so different between front and rear wheel exactly? If you ask me, the front wheel gets more abused than the rear because it receives the most brunt of high speed pothole and speedbreaker bumps. So to me, bad roads and bumps aren't the reason for rear wheel to go out but would like to know what people here think.
Old 7th January 2022, 20:22   #6772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You bet…this time they are citing lack of availability of part(s) for sourcing. Personally I think the timing is tactical another wave..restrictions may be another lockdown
Noticed the trend eh?!
Old 7th January 2022, 20:25   #6773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The rear wheel of my bike keeps going out of tune. Almost every month I true it and then it goes off slowly but surely - the front wheel never needed truing. Its been close to 3300kms now and I think I have straightened rear wheel about 5 times. What could be wrong?
It was replaced once under warranty because the spokes broke, so I guess it has about 2000km on it. Don't think it hampers my performance but my OCD kicks in every time I am lubing :/
What is so different between front and rear wheel exactly? If you ask me, the front wheel gets more abused than the rear because it receives the most brunt of high speed pothole and speedbreaker bumps. So to me, bad roads and bumps aren't the reason for rear wheel to go out but would like to know what people here think.
Please read my post just above regarding Decathlon wheels.

It's an old story.

Short of replacing with a better wheelset there is no solution.

Whats your weight?

Nothing happens to the front wheel. It's the rear wheel which takes all the load. And is the driven wheel.
Old 7th January 2022, 20:47   #6774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read my post just above regarding Decathlon wheels.

It's an old story.

Short of replacing with a better wheelset there is no solution.

Whats your weight?
Posted and then read it. I am surprised, are Deca bikes sold in here different thanones sold abroad. I guess so. Almost every Deca bike has glowing reviews and able to keep up with their peers, surpassing them even, at lower price point.

Changing the wheelset...hmm that puts me in a dilemma. I could do it but there are uncertainties on my stay here. I might have to sell the bike off soon. I weigh 78.5kg (just checked in the afternoon), hope that is not too much for those wheels
Old 7th January 2022, 21:47   #6775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Posted and then read it. I am surprised, are Deca bikes sold in here different thanones sold abroad. I guess so. Almost every Deca bike has glowing reviews and able to keep up with their peers, surpassing them even, at lower price point.

Changing the wheelset...hmm that puts me in a dilemma. I could do it but there are uncertainties on my stay here. I might have to sell the bike off soon. I weigh 78.5kg (just checked in the afternoon), hope that is not too much for those wheels
Yup, at 80 kilos you are on the big side. These wheels are giving issues to riders smaller than you. In the 70s and even 60s.

Not only are the wheels weak, they are also needlessly skimpy on the number of spokes, which further compounds the problems.

Also, the cheapest decent reliable wheelset (Shimano RS100) would cost more than half the price of your bike ... that is the other issue.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th January 2022 at 21:55.
Old 8th January 2022, 07:31   #6776
BHPian

My somewhat ambitious riding goals for 2022 have all gone down the toilet with the weekend curfew and this new wave. Was targetting a 200k BRM in February
Anyway, spending quite a bit of time browsing through Cyclop, Decathlon and Bots. I am looking to get a new helmet and a rear light. Any suggestions? Rear lights extra bright preferably (Cateye,Magicshine?). In terms of helmet, i saw some options with MIPS certification. Are they worth the extra cash? I currently have a basic fairly basic one, the one I got with Firefox 2 years ago. Doc, would love to hear your views on helmets. How to choose a good helmet.
Old 8th January 2022, 07:33   #6777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, at 80 kilos you are on the big side. These wheels are giving issues to riders smaller than you. In the 70s and even 60s.

Not only are the wheels weak, they are also needlessly skimpy on the number of spokes, which further compounds the problems.

Also, the cheapest decent reliable wheelset (Shimano RS100) would cost more than half the price of your bike ... that is the other issue.

Cheers, Doc
Well too bad I guess. I'm already skinny for my height, can't afford to lose any more weight...so suck it up, dear cycle!
Checked the prices of those wheels - INR 9700 which is slightly less than half of what the bike cost back then. Could be a good investment for someone keeping it for long. I personally would grind it as it is with regular tuning. Last two times I did it myself at home.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:04   #6778
BHPian

Quote:
Big big mistake choosing a Decathlon bike over a Trek thoroughbred.
Quote:
I totally get it. I don't mind getting either the Domane AL2 or AL3. The problem is with availability. Domane AL2 was supposed to be available in Jan, then I was told it's not coming by Feb and now I am not getting commitment from any dealer. The Domane AL3 won't be available until June at least! Plus the prices are being jacked up. Since I don't want to wait longer, I had a very limited choice available in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It's like saying I'll skip a Toyota over a Tata ..
You wouldn't choose a ~70k scooter or a bike just by vehicle features and specifications, right?
While I get your point about the pedigree, not all bikes are made equal even if they are from the same maker. We can't conclude that an Etios would be a great car after driving a Camry, just because both are Toyotas

Having said that, I might have booked the Domane AL2 without seeing in person; had it been available in a reasonable time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I would have preferred the endurance frame gravel bike Marin Gesalt, after trying a test ride
I did check the Marin Gestalt in person, and I found it to be decent, but the paint quality and the quality of grips, plastic felt pretty average (Given my limited knowledge). Also, I am unsure about the brand or the long term support and reliability in India. On the other hand, I found lots of positive reviews for Triban RC 500 everywhere, so I was quite surprised by the -ve reaction and that too with with such vehemence. IMHO the price/features combination is unbeatable. I hope that the 2022 model of Triban would have addressed some of the issues you have mentioned. Time will tell.

I really appreciate your viewpoints though. Thanks again.
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:11   #6779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I totally get it. I don't mind getting either the Domane AL2 or AL3. The problem is with availability. Domane AL2 was supposed to be available in Jan, then I was told it's not coming by Feb and now I am not getting commitment from any dealer. The Domane AL3 won't be available until June at least! Plus the prices are being jacked up. Since I don't want to wait longer, I had a very limited choice available in the market.

While I get your point about the pedigree, not all bikes are made equal even if they are from the same maker. We can't conclude that an Etios would be a great car after driving a Camry, just because both are Toyotas

Having said that, I might have booked the Domane AL2 without seeing in person; had it been available in a reasonable time frame.

I did check the Marin Gestalt in person, and I found it to be decent, but the paint quality and the quality of grips, plastic felt pretty average (Given my limited knowledge). Also, I am unsure about the brand or the long term support and reliability in India. On the other hand, I found lots of positive reviews for Triban RC 500 everywhere, so I was quite surprised by the -ve reaction and that too with with such vehemence. IMHO the price/features combination is unbeatable. I hope that the 2022 model of Triban would have addressed some of the issues you have mentioned. Time will tell.

I really appreciate your viewpoints though. Thanks again.
I was under the impression that the Trek was available because that was the impression you gave with regard to your three choices in your original post asking for advice.

If it was not available then it becomes an academic theoretical what-if exercise.

If the Marin is available, it is a better bike and brand than the Triban is.

You don't ride the grips and plastics. Or the paint. You ride the bike. Marin makes great bikes. And you are in Poona, and the brand is sold and supported by an enthusiast, coach and ex national champ.

I'm afraid you are continuing to look at the wrong things and basing your decisions on internet reading ...

All the best either ways.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2022 at 12:18.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 12:26   #6780
BHPian

Quote:
I was under the impression that the Trek was available because that was the impression you gave with regard to your three choices in your original post asking for advice.
It WAS going to be available in Jan when I posted my original question, however the dealer went back on the date promise and that's why I booked the Triban.

Quote:
All the best either ways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks