Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 12:52   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
It WAS going to be available in Jan when I posted my original question, however the dealer went back on the date promise and that's why I booked the Triban.
Unpopular opinion here. I actually don't think it's such a bad thing to get the Triban, that too RC 500. Besides you have complete peace of mind since it's backed by mighty Decathlon.
Spec to spec, this is an equal bike to any other in that price bracket by any brand. The reviews are all positive, not just the ones from India. It's a very desirable product IMO.
I'm not just saying that because I have a Triban (and facing some issues with rear wheel) but if I was to "upgrade" to a roadie, the only bike I'll get is the RC 120DB.

All the best. See you in the pictures thread!
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:08   #6782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Unpopular opinion here. I actually don't think it's such a bad thing to get the Triban, that too RC 500. Besides you have complete peace of mind since it's backed by mighty Decathlon.

All the best. See you in the pictures thread!
Thank you. That's exactly what I thought when making my decision. Even if there are minor problems, none appear to be unsolvable. For me it's going to be a big upgrade from my current bike.

I am very excited and looking forward to my first ride on the bike next week. Will surely post my pictures and a review.
Old 8th January 2022, 15:49   #6783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
In terms of helmet, i saw some options with MIPS certification. Are they worth the extra cash? I currently have a basic fairly basic one, the one I got with Firefox 2 years ago. Doc, would love to hear your views on helmets. How to choose a good helmet.
MIPS is definitely worth the extra cash.

At a bare minimum your helmet should be of an EPS in-mould construct with the standard international safety rating.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post4955224 (The Bicycles thread)

Here is my first helmet, which I still wear on my ACT ...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post3736571 (The Bicycles thread)

I like Giro and MET and Bell. Kask of course but very expensive. Lazer and POC are great lids too. Merida and Scott and Trek make helmets too. Decathlon sells two in-mould road helmets too, though the cheaper one looks quite dorky, both its front-on shape and the neon color.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th January 2022 at 15:53.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:46   #6784
BHPian

Hello,

After doing some research and trying to test ride some bikes, I got myself a Bergamont Sweep 3i. I was using an upgraded and fully refurbished Firefox Target which I had converted into a hybrid with almost everything new other than the frame.

However, the Firefox is a tad too small for me (it was bought 14 years ago) and I was looking for a proper sized hybrid cycle with only one requirement, less-weight!

The Sweep 3i comes in at 11.5kgs with the relatively basic Shimano FC-TY501 crankset with Altus derailleurs and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. The beauty of this bike is its frame (frame shared with the Bergamont Grandurance), tapered aheadset, the endurance fork and the BGM Pro hubs which come on this bike.

sharing some pictures! (apologies for the flash!)
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-bb48784a752f45789e714bbbe09a58d7.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-1872dfabd33a49b486850ebf2c9a19fb.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-00c4a83dd59549cea81f608cd37693de.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-63be277b4da24001a82e7c1c08c057ce.jpeg  

Last edited by Crankpin : 10th January 2022 at 11:49.
Crankpin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 23:56   #6785
Senior - BHPian

Take care of your bike, she takes care of you.

Taken the chain off for a deep clean and re- hot wax dip. Did it last before the States, and even though most of my riding has been indoors since then, a faint choon choon from the higher gears under lower cadence load was just begining.

Deep cleaned the crank and chainrings and front derailleur.

Deep cleaned the rear derailleur, jockey wheels and cassette cogs.

Amazing the amount of black that comes out of a drivetrain in degreaser soap water, even from a shiny clean waxed drivetrain.

The Bicycles thread-img_20220110_234802.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th January 2022 at 00:06.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:02   #6786
Senior - BHPian

THought I will share some feedback about the headlight I have been using : about 3 months ago, I bought the NiteRider Swift 500 headlight. On Sunday, the strap that attaches the light to handlebar broke! In the middle of the ride on a highway and flew away from the cycle onto the shoulder!

Funnily enough the strap broke NOT at the hole that I used to buckle but somewhere else.

Upon checking with the seller, the strap does not have warranty of its own nor it is covered under the main light and replacement strap is out of stock with them. In fact I don't even see it being sold as an accessory anywhere. Kind of surprising that such delicate consumable is not available freely. You have been warned.
The Bicycles thread-20220112_115845.jpg

P.S. After putting the comment, I am seeing even more tears in the rubber strap. So even with the least tension on the strap I doubt it will last long.

The Bicycles thread-20220112_120703.jpg

Last edited by amol4184 : 12th January 2022 at 12:09.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:13   #6787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Taken the chain off for a deep clean and re- hot wax dip.
Cheers, Doc
Doc, how do you lube/wax derailleurs and jockey wheels when you wax chain? Separately lube with squirt?
Old 12th January 2022, 13:00   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Doc, how do you lube/wax derailleurs and jockey wheels when you wax chain? Separately lube with squirt?
Yup , Squirt.

But very little. Even Squirt makes cleaning the chain a lot tougher than pure wax.

I guess it has some additives that are not just wax or water as they claim the concoction to be a simple water based emulsion of on the label.

Leave a sticky geasy sort of residue film on the top of the degreaser soap solution after washing and scrubbing the chain in it.

So need to be careful to keep it away from contact with the chain and contaminating it.

Pur the freshly waxed chain back on last night and recalibrated the trainer. Smoooooooth chik chik

The Bicycles thread-img_20220111_185835.jpg

Quote:
P.S. After putting the comment, I am seeing even more tears in the rubber strap. So even with the least tension on the strap I doubt it will last long.

Attachment 2258464
The rubber seems to have become brittle. Maybe it's old stock. First time I'm hearing of this to be honest. Would you like to share where you bought the light from?

Last edited by ebonho : 12th January 2022 at 13:10.
Old 12th January 2022, 13:53   #6789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rubber seems to have become brittle. Maybe it's old stock. First time I'm hearing of this to be honest. Would you like to share where you bought the light from?
Bumsonthesaddle. I am surprised too since my assumption that it was one of the better made brands vis-a-vis Chinse ones sold on Amazon. Now searching my drawer of knickknacks and spares to devise a bracket :|
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:17   #6790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumsonthesaddle. I am surprised too since my assumption that it was one of the better made brands vis-a-vis Chinse ones sold on Amazon. Now searching my drawer of knickknacks and spares to devise a bracket :|
You can simply duct tape the light in place. Or use the current base that is properly curved for the handle and loop a cut cycle inner tube (or auto O ring seal) over the front end, under the handlebar, and over the rear end at the back.

I do this anyway for my lights to keep them steady and prevent them moving with bumps on the road. I use rubberbands, but a cut tube would be tighter and stronger. Experiment.
Old 12th January 2022, 14:18   #6791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have had straps breaking on cheap lights/accessories purchased from Amazon and Decathlon in the past. I guess now we can add BOTS to that list - could be old stock or really the product quality isn't that great.

Ironically, some of Chinese accessories that I got from Aliexpress long ago are still going strong.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:22   #6792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I have had straps breaking on cheap lights/accessories purchased from Amazon and Decathlon in the past. I guess now we can add BOTS to that list - could be old stock or really the product quality isn't that great.

Ironically, some of Chinese accessories that I got from Aliexpress long ago are still going strong.
I've never to date had a Ali Express Chinese strap break. These straps are designed to be tugged hard and tight again and again thousands of time. I've seen screw-on bases go bad. Or the hard plastic screw tightened clamps break sometimes if you over tighten (or the screw slips). But never these straps.
Old 12th January 2022, 14:46   #6793
Senior - BHPian

Dont fret. I use Loctite glue specific for rubber to put these together. They emerge stronger than original. Have had success every time, (especially on a very expensive GARMIN GPS watch strap). I trust only LOCTITE brand glue for hard core and critical applications
Quote:
THought I will share some feedback about the headlight I have been using : about 3 months ago, I bought the NiteRider Swift 500 headlight. On Sunday, the strap that attaches the light to handlebar broke! In the middle of the ride on a highway and flew away from the cycle onto the shoulder!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:56   #6794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

BOTS otherwise is good (nice assortment of products and fast shipping) but this particular brand could be a problem. If old unused stock is causing such breaks there is no chance these straps would survive harsh weather here once put to use.

Just like you, I also had good experience with eBay and AliExpress stuff..including cheap electronics. Best thing about those is if they break you don't feel bad because you don't expect much in the first place. May be I should give them more credit now

Quote:
You can simply duct tape the light in place. Or use the current base that is properly curved for the handle and loop a cut cycle inner tube (or auto O ring seal) over the front end, under the handlebar, and over the rear end at the back.
That is a good idea. Only weak link that I can see is that the curved base is also same rubber as rest of the strap but its much thicker. Let us hope it doesn't give up easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Dont fret. I use Loctite glue specific for rubber to put these together. They emerge stronger than original. Have had success every time, (especially on a very expensive GARMIN GPS watch strap). I trust only LOCTITE brand glue for hard core and critical applications
Good to know! Would it hold when the strap is in stretched position continuously? I hardly take the light off so it will be tense for months at end.

P.S. Is it Loctite 495? I am not seeing rubber specific glue on their website.

Last edited by amol4184 : 12th January 2022 at 15:08.
Old 12th January 2022, 15:19   #6795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a good idea. Only weak link that I can see is that the curved base is also same rubber as rest of the strap but its much thicker. Let us hope it doesn't give up easily.
The base is not under tension. It just sits securely over the curve of the handlebar and prevents the light from tipping forwards or backwards with the rubber grip provided.

This (rubberbands) is a tried and tested method for expensive lights by BRM boys, so that like in your case the light does not fall off at night ... in such a case not only will it likely be lost/destroyed, it will also probably signal the end of the brevet for the rider.

So even with perfectly working straps, this is a good idea as double-safe security.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th January 2022 at 15:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks