Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 11:29   #6886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
First, I will be moving out of India soon and definitely need a bike.
Ah, then I'd suggest to wait it out. Been there done that. I took my hybrid there and rode for about 6 months. In the winter months, saw amazing deals as many cycle shops would try to get rid of old stock to make way for next year stocks.

For example I saw a brand new Specialized roadbike with msrp $1150 available for $650 and similar deals for Trek Domane and other models. I purchased my road bike after doing extensive trial runs on multiple options back then.

Take a call depending on what you feel is ideal given your movement situation - I would suggest buying one now only if you are getting a great deal.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:12   #6887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Yes, the components on Roadlite are top notch. The price-performance ratio is fabulous on almost all the Canyons. The Roadlite 6 is currently available in the size I want while the endurance models are all OOS.
This will be in the USA, they charge $100 for that box and tools which you mentioned. Even with that I felt it is quite reasonable. The handlebar/cockpit is what is driving the cost up definitely (just checked prices of some third party drop bars).
Which part of US will be you moving to? Canyon (though German), is quite popular in the US, and they have a good price advantage compared to some other well-known brands (e.g., Trek) due to their direct sales model. Maybe just go with the Roadlite now, and if the terrain has options for long distance endurance rides go with a Endurace 8 or Trek Domane AL5 /SL5 in the future. From what I understand from some friends/colleagues in the US, the Canyon holds pretty good resale value.

Alternately like Ninja suggested, go there and see the local shops, they may have some good discounts running on popular brands.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 21:05   #6888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
Thank you! I was drooling over the Scott and the others too. They also seem to have low enough gear ratios for climbing with the Scott at 0.82 for the lowest gear.

If I might ask, how do you feel about drop bar bikes? Is that too much of a stretch (haha) for someone inexperienced who’s just starting out for fitness rides mainly?
Good to know that you got things on the existing bike back in shape.

Apart from the expense part and the danger of not being able to spend time for riding, it is fine to get a drop bar as a beginner. But you have to pay particular attention to bike size and rider fit. Not all drop bars are same. The Triban series for example is an endurance aka "relaxed" geometry. There are racing, performance, endurance, and touring / gravel geometries. The difference lies in top tube length and reach. Racing geometry forces the rider to stretch out most, compelling a more aero dynamic attacking position while the stretch progressively reduces allowing better riding position with other geometries. Check out GCN YouTube channel for their videos on bike frame sizing and fit videos. There are five or six of each topic.

The Marin Four Corners has some smaller sizes in 650B tyres, (same rim diameter as 27.5 inch MTB) and replacement tyres cost more than a R16 car tyre.
Giant Contend, and Scott Speedster 40 are worth considering. Or best is to wait for the Triban RC 500 or 520. I vote for Nicasio, if you prefer Marins. It has a chromoly frame and thinner tyres. If the Four Corners in your size comes with 700 C tyres, you can go for thinner tyres later on, so that is also a good option. The 700 x 42 tyres will be good cushions, no doubt, but will be huge black hole to drain your energy, though not as much as an MTB.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 14:24   #6889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Good to know that you got things on the existing bike back in shape.

Apart from the… with other geometries. Check out GCN YouTube channel for their videos on bike frame sizing and fit videos. There are five or six of each topic.

The Marin Four Corners has some smaller sizes in 650B tyres, (same rim diameter as 27.5 inch MTB) and replacement tyres cost more than a R16 car tyre.
Giant Contend, and Scott Speedster 40 are worth considering. Or best is to wait for the Triban RC 500 or 520 ….an MTB.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge - I will ride the MTB for a few weeks and try to get some saddle time with the bikes you mention with special reference to geometry and tire width. Will also check out the GCN videos. Excited about this, thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:03   #6890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ah, then I'd suggest to wait it out. Been there done that. I took my hybrid there and rode for about 6 months. In the winter months, saw amazing deals as many cycle shops would try to get rid of old stock to make way for next year stocks.

Take a call depending on what you feel is ideal given your movement situation - I would suggest buying one now only if you are getting a great deal.
Winter time, especially Thanksgiving onwards is a great time to spend money - not only on new stuff but used too. Like motorcycles, lot of summer time bikers are done for the season and want to sell off their motorcycles so that they can get new one for next season. I hope it works for cycles too - I don't mind a high end used example. Let's see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Which part of US will be you moving to? Canyon (though German), is quite popular in the US, and they have a good price advantage compared to some other well-known brands (e.g., Trek) due to their direct sales model. Maybe just go with the Roadlite now, and if the terrain has options for long distance endurance rides go with a Endurace 8 or Trek Domane AL5 /SL5 in the future. From what I understand from some friends/colleagues in the US, the Canyon holds pretty good resale value.

Alternately like Ninja suggested, go there and see the local shops, they may have some good discounts running on popular brands.
Seattle, WA. Canyon is quite popular there. I used to see many Canyons around. There are quite a few cycle trails and great roads in general for long rides and lots of ups and downs too. The premium group set and simple looks (similar to Triban RC) of Roadlite has me hooked. I am planning to checkout used bikes first (a road bike) and if I don't like any then get the new Roadlite.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:18   #6891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall though, I feel a road bike with drop bars is more serious and committed. Another input received was drop bar bikes are better for climbing.
Hi Amol.
I rode a Specialized hybrid/fitness bike for many many miles before I switched to drop bars. I spoke with many expert level randonneurs before making the switch. None of them were strongly in favor of drop bars. The biggest advantage drop bars had over my bike was that they offered multiple positions to rest your hands, which is crucial when you're in the saddle for the whole day.
As for climbing, any bike that is lighter and has 1:1 gears will be good for the job, as long as it is well fitted to you.

Quote:
Winter time, especially Thanksgiving onwards is a great time to spend money - not only on new stuff but used too.
True! My local bike store has a twice-a-year bike swap sale where you can get really good bikes for dirt cheap rates. Although it is a "swap" you dont need to sell a bike to buy one. These swap sales are usually at the beginning of the riding season, when people are upgrading their bikes and at the end of the riding season when people are giving up on riding
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:28   #6892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hi Amol.
I rode a Specialized hybrid/fitness bike for many many miles before I switched to drop bars. I spoke with many expert level randonneurs before making the switch. None of them were strongly in favor of drop bars. The biggest advantage drop bars had over my bike was that they offered multiple positions to rest your hands, which is crucial when you're in the saddle for the whole day.
As for climbing, any bike that is lighter and has 1:1 gears will be good for the job, as long as it is well fitted to you.
Did you get the professional bike fit done for you? I am slightly confused about that whole process. Does the "fit" apply to all bikes/brands? How does the fit work if I am buying a used bike from some guy and not from a shop?
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:12   #6893
BANNED

I am looking for roof top bike carrier. Thule is just too expensive for what it offers. Any information about manufacturer who is making similar in India will be helpful.
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:23   #6894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you get the professional bike fit done for you? I am slightly confused about that whole process. Does the "fit" apply to all bikes/brands? How does the fit work if I am buying a used bike from some guy and not from a shop?
I got a basic bike fit done by a professional

That meant that they adjusted the height of the saddle, to ensure that my leg was straight when the pedal is at 6 o'clock position and my heel is resting on the pedal, they adjusted fore and aft of the saddle to make sure my knee was on top of the center of the pedal when the pedal is at 3 o'clock position, and finally adjusted the handlebars so that my elbows had a slight bend in them.
These are the basic things you can check yourself when buying a used bike.

When buying a bike, new or used, first thing to check is that the size falls within your range. There are many sites that can guide you on that. For example: https://www.bicycle-guider.com/bike-...ke-size-chart/
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:43   #6895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I got a basic bike fit done by a professional

That meant that they adjusted the height of the saddle, to ensure that my leg was straight when the pedal is at 6 o'clock position and my heel is resting on the pedal, they adjusted fore and aft of the saddle to make sure my knee was on top of the center of the pedal when the pedal is at 3 o'clock position, and finally adjusted the handlebars so that my elbows had a slight bend in them.
These are the basic things you can check yourself when buying a used bike.

When buying a bike, new or used, first thing to check is that the size falls within your range. There are many sites that can guide you on that. For example: https://www.bicycle-guider.com/bike-...ke-size-chart/
Yes when I bought my Triban I followed some YouTube guides to make it fit to my height. While checking bikes by different brands I noticed that sizes vary by brand. For e.g. for my height of 181cm, Canyon's guide suggests size M while Specialized and Cannondale suggested L. On rare occasion I also saw sizes called M-L and L-XL.
When converted into numbers I can now say that 56inches equals size L in most brands but there are exceptions like Canyon. Its a mess really. Some older Trek/Giants that I saw do not have inches mentioned anywhere but just the M or L label
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:42   #6896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When converted into numbers I can now say that 56inches equals size L in most brands but there are exceptions like Canyon. Its a mess really. Some older Trek/Giants that I saw do not have inches mentioned anywhere but just the M or L label
Better not to compare the letter/number sizing across brands; like clothing sizes, there will be variations. I find the size calculator of Canyon pretty accurate. I am 184/86.5, and if it’s a Canyon I will get a M, whereas if it’s a Giant ML will be ideal, L for Scott, and for Trek it is a 58. So even for your height, M looks ideal for Canyon (and maybe 56 with Trek).
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:36   #6897
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Better not to compare the letter/number sizing across brands; like clothing sizes, there will be variations.
Even within brands, things can get different between models. For example, for certain heights, the for Decathlon Riverside series recommended size is M, but for same person, in the Triban series, the height is S. Specifically, people in 165-175 cm range are advised the M size in the hybrids. For the Triban, it is size S for riders upto 172 cm.

Also, a small but significant proportion of people do not have their limbs (inseam, arm span, etc) in in proportional to their height.

This is where availablity of a geometry chart is important. If you are aware of dimensions of your existing bike's frame and can figure out what frame dimensions will give you a comfortable fit / riding posture, go by the geometry chart. Seat tube length and effective top tube length are most important factors, but equally important (from safely stopping and getting off in emergencies) is the bottom bracket drop and standover height.

I understand that there are "bike fit machines that mimick a frame, like seat tube angle, head tube angle, etc that help in determining the correct frame size for a given geometry. I may be wrong though, but definitely don't know if any Indian dealerships have these.
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:36   #6898
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I've been cycling pretty hard these days. I do approximately 20-30 minute runs averaging 22-25 Kmph. Since this is my time for workout, I push myself hard everyday.

Something that has been bothering me these days is the sweat dripping down from my face through my nose. While I try to breathe through my nose, the sweat drops get pulled in and I slowly end up breathing through my mouth to compensate for the irritation.

How do you all manage this issue? I try wiping my face using my sleeves but that's a bit risky since missing a pothole can be disastrous.

Last edited by Turbohead : 3rd May 2022 at 10:37.
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:39   #6899
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
bothering me these days is the sweat dripping down from my face through my nose. While I try to breathe through my nose, the sweat drops get pulled in and I slowly end up breathing through my mouth to compensate for the irritation.
Get a tennis head band for ₹50/-. Put a wrist band on your wrist. Decathlon sells these in sets of 2 or 3::

Or use a large kerchief, fold it diagonally, the diagonal around your head, corner of the triangle in front and tie it up. Put your helmet on top of this.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 11:26   #6900
BHPian

How do you deal with aggressive street dogs during your rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Since I started cycling again before a few weeks, I have had two street dog instances both the times they chased me and all I could do was lift my leg from one of the cycle pedal just hoping they stop chasing before the cycle stops.

Both the times my heart felt like it was going to stop, they were like 3-4 in numbers both the times but it was only 1 who chased till the very fag end.

I am going to start reporting them to the authorities, dog lovers can take them home if they wish but I am not willing to die on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
It's hard to race away from the dogs. They can catch you if they want to!
What "internet" suggests and what worked for me is to gather all the courage you have, stop your bicycle and shout at them authoritatively. They would mostly back-off barking and you can continue to ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks