Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2023, 15:58   #7156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Yesterday I rode 100K in the Berkshires in the Central Massachusetts region. This was my first time riding in this region. Although the first half was mostly flat, we had steady headwinds. Thanks to my 2 riding partners, we were able to navigate through that by holding pace lines and drafting most of the way. Return leg had most of the climbing though.

This was my 8th consecutive month with a 100K ride.

The Bicycles thread-img_6b614dd835e21.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-img_2682.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
Hi guys

Happy to share I crossed 35,000kms today with a century ride
Congratulations! Wish you many more happy kms!
amitoj is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 21:27   #7157
BHPian

I had heard about the village Baarle recently and decided to do a trip there on Sunday. Its about 85km from home(Eindhoven). Baarle is strange/unique. Its situated within the Netherlands, but is broken up into patches of Belgium and Netherlands. In-fact, some buildings, houses, hotels, businesses are split between both countries(and also pay the respective taxes). You can read more about it on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle

Was a solo ride. I started around 6.35 AM. Spring just starting, but the cool air meant more protective wear. Headwind during the onward journey, but a relaxing return because of the tailwind.

The Bicycles thread-img_1973.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_1962-copy.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_1963.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_1964.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_1968.jpg
aneezan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 20:46   #7158
BHPian

Has anyone got experience importing bicycles to India from a dealer outside the country(Taiwan/Malaysia)? Or importing Canyon to India? How costly can they get compared to purchase from India?
Old 5th April 2023, 14:45   #7159
BHPian

hey all, just had a quick query. I wanted to purchase a beginner road bike with a budget of around 30k, would love any and all suggestions.
thanks!
Old 5th April 2023, 15:22   #7160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Has anyone got experience importing bicycles to India from a dealer outside the country(Taiwan/Malaysia)? Or importing Canyon to India? How costly can they get compared to purchase from India?
There was some posts about one of the bhpian exploring this option when he wanted a high-end road bike; maybe @goandude I think - check with him. Also check with @aneezan above who recently got a Canyon overseas; he might be able to shed some light.

If you personally bring the cycle as an "used"/personal item, I believe you should be able to bypass customs. I brought a high end road bike (several years ago) from the US in that manner; didn't face any queries.

However importing it from an overseas dealer would pretty much catch the attention of customs duty for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post
hey all, just had a quick query. I wanted to purchase a beginner road bike with a budget of around 30k, would love any and all suggestions.
thanks!
Very common Q / budget that's been repeated many times - just search within this thread and you'll find several posts with options that fit your ask.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th April 2023 at 15:23.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 17:31   #7161
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about importing from Malaysia/Taiwan or other South East Asian countries, but importing directly from Europe will incur heavy import duty taxes(plus others). One ends up paying more than double the cost of the bike. A couple of years back(when I was in India), I spoke to a person who "brought" their Canyon from Ireland. The person bought the bike while on a short business trip in Dublin, assembled it, rode it a couple of days, dis-assembled and boxed it and brought it with them as a used bike. No extra charges. Other way is a close friend or relative to do it for you on their way to India. Buy it and bring it along as a used bike. This is the easiest way to do it.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 07:49   #7162

Quote:
thanks!
Nothing better than the Triban RC100 at this price.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8810348/r...8810348&type=p

However if you are interested in pre owned bikes you can try Trek Domane AL2. A great bike for starting out on road. You can get something on OLX.

HAPPY PEDALING!

Quote:
Hey, let me also know if you get any leads on this. 8 continuously browse through sellers in Thailand and find that the prices are quite low.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th April 2023 at 09:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the Multi quote function to reply to different posts. Thank you.
mayankshekharr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 11:07   #7163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankshekharr View Post
Hey, let me also know if you get any leads on this. 8 continuously browse through sellers in Thailand and find that the prices are quite low.
If you check the online for Customs duty, import of bicycles is about 30% customs duty + 10% some cess and 18% GST. Approx 58% extra on invoice.
Old 10th April 2023, 08:57   #7164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks!
The RC 120 is a great beginners road bike. I did about 15 k km before I required an upgrade. Budget needs to be stretched to 45k for new bike. Used can be had for 20 to 25 if you look around.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 16:27   #7165
BHPian

Added some details of my Olive green Hercules ACT 110 on Doc's thread.

Cross posting the same here on the main bicycles thread. Look forward to also posting some stuff about my heavy MTB over here as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5271066 (Blue Flame, my Hercules ACT 110 | The big hearted road warrior)

Cheers!
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:27   #7166
BHPian

Quote:
thanks!
RC120. Think its about 45K now, but well worth the purchase. Mine has run about 20,000km and still going.
Old 11th April 2023, 18:25   #7167
BHPian

Quote:
thanks!
30k limits you to something like the RC 100 (btwin/decathlon) at the moment. The latest iteration has an STi shifter/ integrated brake combo and good colour options but an increase in price over the old grey down-tube shift ones.

When selecting a beginner road bike, the correct size and geometry is far more important than specs or make. It also helps to set some clear expectations on what you want to accomplish with it.

Last edited by Amien : 11th April 2023 at 18:30. Reason: old versus new RC100
Old 18th April 2023, 11:27   #7168

Just got a direct drive trainer and am posting for the benefit of those on the fence.

As context, I have primarily been using a wheel on trainer, Kurt Kinetic, which I bought used and then upgraded with the Inride 2 so that I would get power both vide bluetooth and ant+. I'm primarily an indoor rider, using trainerroad and zwift for weekday indoor rides and the occasional weekend outdoor ride. I also got the single sided 4iii power meter sometime last year. The Kurt Kinetic has been excellent with no niggles and tracks very closely with the 4iii power meter once calibrated.

Just recently bought the Jet Black Volt V2 smart trainer aka the unofficial Zwift hub and have been using it a few days. It's been a nice revelation. I had been under the impression that I did not need a smart trainer and would only benefit from the much reduced noise levels. But Erg mode for workouts is a gamechanger and forces you to stick to the power band prescribed and the resistance is much more even and realistically distributed across the pedal stroke unlike the wheel on trainers. As an added benefit since I use wax based lubes, its dead silent and the only thing that can be heard is my fan. Great for workouts at odd hours.

Bottom line, if you are a somewhat serious rider and debating the added cost vs benefit, I would thoroughly recommend a smart trainer.
yakherder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:30   #7169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakherder View Post
But Erg mode for workouts is a gamechanger and forces you to stick to the power band prescribed and the resistance is much more even and realistically distributed across the pedal stroke unlike the wheel on trainers.
The primary aim of an indoor trainer is to get you ready for the outdoors. For real cycling.

Have you given some thought to what happens when you are on the road and do not have Erg mode, and its your legs and gear shifts that need to smoothen out the power and cadence, versus the gradient and elements?

P.S. I use the same Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Smart V2.0 with the InRide pod. And the free workouts on the KineticFit app.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th April 2023 at 13:33.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:23   #7170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The primary aim of an indoor trainer is to get you ready for the outdoors. For real cycling.

Have you given some thought to what happens when you are on the road and do not have Erg mode, and its your legs and gear shifts that need to smoothen out the power and cadence, versus the gradient and elements?
Well indoor is its own ball game nowadays. But yes, getting faster outdoors also figures high on the priority list.

Didn't want to go into detail but meant to say that workouts are easier to execute in erg mode. I've been using a kurt kinetic for about 2 years now and its been great but keeping power steady across intervals was a bit of a chore especially shorter VO2, threshold stuff. Erg lets you know immediately that you are slacking off. Its a great tool for workouts but I don't ride in erg all the time and I don't think anyone should.
yakherder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks