Team-BHP - The Bicycles thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   The Bicycles thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/20785-bicycles-thread-485.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 5671913)
Along with shorts, consider using the Buttr Chamois cream as well.

Many of us in India use this.

The Bicycles thread-71mccs4fczl._sx522_.jpg

Best price currently ...

https://amzn.eu/d/7oLqBm6

Cheers, Doc

Finally, my brother's Allez was delivered a few days earlier, than the committed delivery date. He is quite happy with it. This is the base Allez version with a Claris groupset.

That looks good. I like the color! Flat mount calipers, comfortable geo and seems like it has wide tire clearance. Is it thru axle on rear too? Plenty of upgrade paths on this bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amol4184 (Post 5673832)
Flat mount calipers, comfortable geo and seems like it has wide tire clearance. Is it thru axle on rear too? Plenty of upgrade paths on this bike.

Yes it can take upto 35C tires and the rear is thru axle too.

With tires like Panaracer GKs you can actually do gravel on it without losing any speed on paved roads. Have fun!

Unfortunate news this week: S Ramakrishnan, a 50-year-old software engineer with a private firm and an avid cyclist residing in HBR Layout, met with a fatal accident around 5.45 am. While cycling on the northern stretch of the Outer Ring Road between Hennur and Nagavara junctio...

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...idents-2800307

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie looking for an affordable bike for my 2.5km college commute and weekend rides. Any recommendations for a budget-friendly, sturdy option that's comfortable for daily use?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Finally after the long hibernation of 8 years I got back to cycling!

Picked up Rockrider ST100 from Decathlon and rode back home which was 10 kms.

Yesterday straight away hit the near by trails and total ride came up to 44 kms! body was struggling on the return ride and was able to maintain the average of 15 Kmph only!

Any south Bangaloreans who are active on weekday short ride and weekend rides do ping me. Would love to join and be a weekend warrior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 5671913)
on long rides, there is bound to be some fatigue all over your body. Along with shorts, consider using the Buttr Chamois cream as well.

Thanks Sir for the advice. I have purchased Decathlons RC100 padded shorts , but yet to try it on a longer ride.
Thanks Doc for the suggestion as well. I want to try out the shorts before I go for the cream.

Not been around this thread for awhile - busy cooking jam and building/often selling bicycles.

So this was an interesting scrap find... the branding of which, rare as it would be in India, I'm sure SOMEONE out there would be familiar with.

The Bicycles thread-img20231216171606.jpg

I'd never heard of Gazelle and even now can't find history on the exact model online - but from what I can tell seems to be a solid midrange Dutch offering - must be another ex-tourist unit that after wandering the Himalayas and tasting the local delicacies awhile ended up homeless / not really in any condition or state of mind to continue further lol:!

I wish the wheels were still there because looking at the other Deore / STX components, they'd surely would have been decent ones.

No provision for discs and only 7 cogs out back, so clearly very old. And never seen these post-style V-brakes in anything but cheap stamped steel... these STX are pretty nice.

The Bicycles thread-img_20231216_173430.jpg

20.5" frame pretty workable for me, so I think this may unseat the undersized Hero Thunder MTB as my rigid-mtb keeper...

Weighs about 7kg without wheels/tyres/tubes/chain, so if I can find decent rims for it (might steal them from the Thunder ;-)) - Mavic / Merida combo there and both very light... and then fit the pretty light and grippy Swalbe Blackjacks or similar; Would expect that'd put me within ~12kgs maybe - not as light as the Hero, but not bad for a strong and rightly-sized midrange old-school mountain bike...

Might take this frame along for the winter and try to build it during our several weeks' stay in Mizoram (driving there again, more to come in the Getaway thread).

Anyway, one of my best finds to date, and no space to complain for ₹1000!

Regards,
Eric

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringoism (Post 5681209)
And never seen these post-style V-brakes in anything but cheap stamped steel... these STX are pretty nice.

Have worked on these. MCV40 were the pair I bought on eBay around 2009. Very good quality and excellent fine adjustability, which comes down to the quality of the springs behind the small screw near the mounting post.

Love linear pull brakes, very elegantly designed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 5145558)

I am a noob - and this is a noob's response to a noob.

You could look at the XC100 or XC120 from Decathlon
Marin Bobcat Trail 5 and Marin four seasons would be good too

Added an interesting component to my Yeti ASRc. Quick picture for introduction:

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20231219_024928310.jpg

Bike came stock with a 69˚head tube angle (HTA), which might have been modern for 2017 but is quite steep today. My other MTB is a 66.5˚HTA.

So I added an angled headset (aka angleset) from Work Components. This drops the HTA to around 67˚. It came in the Yeti turquoise colour as well, so looks like part of the bike itself. You can see that on top, the steerer enters with an offset, closer to the frame.

The Bicycles thread-123.jpg

Got it done at Crankmeister. Have installed headsets in the past without a headset press, but since this is an angled headset, you have to align it accurately with the frame, which is a 2 people job. Also carbon frame so didn't want to take a mallet to it. Bought a pair of Cranbros Stamps, first time paying full price for flat pedals... man I miss AliExpress :crying

Bike is way more playful now. I bought it from an expat riding buddy a while ago but found the handling too twitchy and this fixes it. Much easier to manual, jump, etc.
The Bicycles thread-pxl_20231219_025303949_exported_33692edit.jpg

I have been contemplating to restart cycling and using it for the errands too instead of my bike. Reading these posts- 1, 2 just brought me up from my couch. I have a Schnell Coupe 1.0 which was bought 10+ years ago. Had got it serviced and its tyres changed at a local shop couple of months ago. I now want to pursue cycling as a hobby and also to maintain my fitness levels. Ideally would ride early mornings in our locality.

Few questions to fellow cyclists-
1. I often feel my hands paining due to me naturally having a higher seat position than the handlebar. I am not keen on purchasing a new cycle since I don’t know how long I would stick to it. Is reducing the seat height the only option?
2. I usually used to cycle 20km a year back. Currently my fitness level has dropped. I presume varying distances should be done regularly. If so, what distance shall be your suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Some pictures of the cycle-
The Bicycles thread-img_5964.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-img_5963.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-img_5962.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy (Post 5682742)

Few questions to fellow cyclists-
1. I often feel my hands paining due to me naturally having a higher seat position than the handlebar. I am not keen on purchasing a new cycle since I don’t know how long I would stick to it. Is reducing the seat height the only option?
2. I usually used to cycle 20km a year back. Currently my fitness level has dropped. I presume varying distances should be done regularly. If so, what distance shall be your suggestion?

Great idea to get back into cycling! It is never too late.

Regarding 1, I'd be cautious about lowering the saddle. There are a lot of videos on youtube on bike fit that could be helpful. Roughly speaking, the saddle should be high enough that your toes barely touch the ground when you sit on the bike. That should be the starting point. The pain in the hands could be alleviated by moving the saddle back or forward. A local bike shop should also be able to help you out in sorting out the fit.

As far as distance goes, for the first few rides, take it easy and see how your body reacts and wakes up to this new movement.

Good luck!