Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 22:59   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
nice one bike looks awesome what is the price
Get all the details first hand in here : Dynamic Bicycles - Tempo Sport 8 Hybrid Commuter Bicycle

I will post more info about riding and practical living with chainless bike in couple of weeks.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:59   #1007
Senior - BHPian

@Tramway: Congrats on the bike!

I would be interested to know how the 21 gear options work as I can't see any different sized cranks.

BTW aren't the tyres a bit wide for a road bike?

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 12:35   #1008
BHPian

@Trammway, really nice bike. Do post a detailed report when once you have ridden it. The feel must be very different from a chain driven bike. I'm also curious to know how the gears operate.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:15   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Tramway: Congrats on the bike!

I would be interested to know how the 21 gear options work as I can't see any different sized cranks.

BTW aren't the tyres a bit wide for a road bike?

Cheers
At first this is a commuter bike hence the normal tire is used in this bike, the picture shows wider because the alloy rim with black paint gives an illusion like that.

This bike has got only 8 gears not 21 but range as in 21 gears ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
@Trammway, really nice bike. Do post a detailed report when once you have ridden it. The feel must be very different from a chain driven bike. I'm also curious to know how the gears operate.
I have already started riding the bike and it's the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. Not to be surprised this is my first all aluminum bike hence enjoying it. Both the front and rear brakes are disc giving maximum braking power.

Here in US the front and rear brakes are swapped in the handle bar hence some confusion applying the brakes. May be after some times I will get used of it.

My bike also got Sigma BC1009 cycling computer (Google it for further details), it calculates the distance and speed with a sensor similar to the one used in my Humber bicycle's pricol cycle meter(basically pricol copied it from Lucas design).

It has a Shimano Alfine 8-speed Rapid Fire shifter ... all up for 1,2,3,4.... and same down for gear reduction. There are two levers used for increasing and decreasing the gears on the right handle bar.

About the gears, This bike has Shimano Alfine 8-speed Premium internal hub gear box unless the other hybrids which are having multiple gear sprockets to increase and decrease gears. The ultimate point here, unless the normal shimano gears where you need to keep the chains parallel to the frames and loosing couple of gears this one got a gearbox and fully usable gears.

Ah.. not to be excited the internal gear hub is 6 decade old design and I have one humber 1949 model cycle in India with the internal hub Sturmy Archer dynohub that comes with dynamo and 3speed gearbox inside the hub.

Please look at this TBHP thread where you would see my humber restoration project.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ish-cycle.html

Let me tell you .. I got the oldest hybrid and latest hybrid with internal gear hubs

Last edited by trammway : 8th October 2011 at 08:31.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:25   #1010
Team-BHP Support

Today morning, woke up relaxed at around 8 AM. Having chilled out at home for the past two days, I wanted to do some cycling.

A quick breakfast of ragi porridge mixed with yogurt and I was on my way.
I left my home in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad at 9:10 AM.

Riding down in the cool morning breeze with very little traffic, I made my way to Mehdipatnam.
Took the turn under the PVNR flyover and continued riding under it.

The flyover provided a welcome shade and traffic, while present was still quite sparse.

Started getting a mild headache. Took off my shades and continued riding. I think the shades are not a good idea. Was more comfortable without them.

45 minutes after starting my ride, I stopped at a small shop to pick up a water bottle.
15 minutes later I had reached my turn back spot.
This was the place where the NH-7 road forks out for the Airport.
Took the U-Turn and started the return lap.

It was almost 11 AM when I was mid way under the flyover. The traffic had became very thick. I had to keep my speeds slower and was getting stuck at all the red lights.
This stop and go was quickly tiring me out. Also I had the uphill climbs as the roads brought me back to Banjara Hills.

Reached my home exactly 2 hours and 18 minutes after I started.
Total distance as per DM is 51.54 kms.

Physically no pain except a mild numbness that started in my right toe. I just stood up for a minute on a down slope and the numbness vanished.

This occurred after a long upward climb and I think its just a question of shifting my weight once in a while.

The Cannondale q5 is a treat to ride. I am quite happy with this bike and hope to retain it for a long time.
Old 8th October 2011, 14:48   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Reached my home exactly 2 hours and 18 minutes after I started.
Total distance as per DM is 51.54 kms.

The Cannondale q5 is a treat to ride. I am quite happy with this bike and hope to retain it for a long time.
Very well done bblost. If I am not wrong, this should be your first half-century... congrats.

And no doubt q5 is an awesome machine...

Would suggest you start early in the day, less heat & traffic, both ideal for cycling.
tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 13:53   #1012
BHPian

I am in Switzerland for the next 3 months, in a place called Lucerne ( an hour's drive from Zurich). My boss gave me a bike for using while I am here. It's called a Fox. Is it a popular brand?
Old 9th October 2011, 20:23   #1013
Senior - BHPian

@bblost, its great to read your updates and am sure it will motivate many to to use the bike often

meanwhihle i think its more then 3months since i picked up "Giant", last 3months have been able to do a very less kms on it about 240kms roughly, but thanks to the location i leave in i got to taste sme really tough terrains and thankfully my body dint give it in..

oflate have been trying to use the bike to get groceries etc last few days both my bike(motor) and car is relaxing while am using the cycle ....

i must say cycling is fun and love my bike"Giant"...
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 22:39   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
and thankfully my body dint give it in..
I used to do free weights in the Gym. Last year had joined aerobics and also a couple of months of Yoga.

But I was HONESTLY very worried when I started cycling. There was the usual strong bluff for the outside world. But deep down inside, I was worried about my weight, it was 102.5 and the condition of my knees.

But some 700 kms on the bike. I am surprised, happy and very confident that I will complete a century ride in a few weeks from now.

I owe it to this thread and to a large degree to BikesZone - Cycling

Bikeszone is a forum dedicated to cycling.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 13:26   #1015
Senior - BHPian

bblost,

A century ride is not like getting married that you need to mentally prepare so hard for it. Just Do It.

And yes - you need to wake up at 4am, ideally. Wake up at 4 and you should be through
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 09:46   #1016
Senior - BHPian

yaar, here is why you should never take indian media seriously: what an idiot:

phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 18:09   #1017
BHPian

Hi, I use Rockrider 5.1 from last six month. I need a chain lubricant / oil for my cycle. Any brands you suggest? Where can I get it in Bangalore?
Old 18th October 2011, 16:39   #1018
BHPian

hello guys,

recently picked up a trek 3500 with accessories costing 17500/-

The Bicycles thread-12912.png

and wanted to know if anyone in jayanagar, Bangalore go cycling everyday as i do it alone.
I have been cycling for about a month avg 10 km/day
Old 18th October 2011, 18:15   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar, here is why you should never take indian media seriously: what an idiot:
Seriously what an idiot!

Things that I found truely blue idiotic:
  1. His explanation of the gear system
  2. How is rear suspension helpful in case of increased load
  3. Cute Disc Brakes

Wonder who made them Auto Journo's

Last edited by bblost : 19th October 2011 at 13:09. Reason: Removed embedded video. Thanks.
Old 19th October 2011, 02:25   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
Hi, I use Rockrider 5.1 from last six month. I need a chain lubricant / oil for my cycle. Any brands you suggest? Where can I get it in Bangalore?
Look no further than Finishline Red (for normal riding conditions) and Finishline Green (for wet/muddy conditions). Decathlon might stock it. And I know that BOTS in Jayanagar does - I saw some bottles when I visited the place last month. Do check out www.bumsonthesadddle.com and call them to find out before you go there.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks