Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 08:07   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
Hi, I use Rockrider 5.1 from last six month. I need a chain lubricant / oil for my cycle. Any brands you suggest? Where can I get it in Bangalore?
What I do for my 5.2? Just use the singer oils. You can get it in any marts. The only thing is, you need to wipe them clean after applying the oil.

But works good and simple.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 03:41   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Folks, The bike in my house is slowly taking over my time and I'm pedaling more and more as the days passes.

I have just added few accessories (The bell shown in the cycle is chosen by the kids and I'm keeping it for their satisfaction) that includes bell, handy pump, bike computer, mud guards, bottle cages, front and rear lights and mirrors. There are couple of essential tools that will also take space in the saddle bag that is on the way to my mailbox.

With the quick release options for the front wheel and seat post, I have completed one time experimental DIY of tube replacement. I did try out removing the rear wheel from the frame and re attached it immediately. The internal hub gearbox is a must have for DIY person atleast in working on the tire or tube replacement. It is so effortless you can do it no time.

I'm still trying to figure out the way tuning the RST front suspension which seems to be little hard side. If anyone of you have experienced in tuning or correcting the RST suspension please help me out with some details. I have a black plastic knob on the left onside suspension tube and a red colored alloy knob on the right side suspension tube and don't have any idea what position they should be kept.

Here is the actual picture (blurred) of my Dynamic Chainless (shaft driven) bike.
The Bicycles thread-img00475201110191118.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 20th October 2011 at 03:48.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 10:14   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

Here is the actual picture (blurred) of my Dynamic Chainless (shaft driven) bike.
Attachment 829742
That's a cool bike. And whats the tracking system you use, if any? Garmin? or other module apps? If not already done please do register in endomondo or dailymile.

on a lighter note - you made it like the ANNAMALAI cycle Just one transistor missing
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 18:29   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
That's a cool bike. And whats the tracking system you use, if any? Garmin? or other module apps? If not already done please do register in endomondo or dailymile.

on a lighter note - you made it like the ANNAMALAI cycle Just one transistor missing
I'm not using any GPS device and not going to use too as I ride this bike on well known US roads. For the mile counts I have a bike computer that gives me the odo details, it's pretty simple.

May be I should thank you for the lighter comment. The side view mirrors in this bike poses the look of Annamalai cycle, but it is a must have safety feature in the roads of US. The bottles and bell could have been in different colors I agree and I will replace the bottles with probably a dark share. I'm sure the bell going to stay in the bike as it was chosen by the kids.

This is my road bike, may be during next summer I will buy an all wheel (two wheel) drive bike for my mountain bike option. That time the GPS options will be considered, that is yet to be reached thought.

Last edited by trammway : 20th October 2011 at 18:32.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:57   #1025
BHPian

guys in Bangalore how about a cycle ride to ranganatithu bird sanctuary
Old 21st October 2011, 18:07   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
guys in Bangalore how about a cycle ride to ranganatithu bird sanctuary
Are you serious?

Ok, whats the route? I prefer the Kanakapura since comparatively lesser traffic. Mysore has been in the list for long now.

Preferably on a saturday. Not tomorrow. Its already occupied.

EDIT: Damn, just reading your "SIGNATURE". Hmm, now I know.

Quote:
The side view mirrors in this bike poses the look of Annamalai cycle, but it is a must have safety feature in the roads of US.
I agree. I got 2 rear view mirrors, and not yet fixed. I am not ok to cut the handle bar cover to get this mirrors fit. I know, I should get this done as early as possible.

Last edited by mjothi : 21st October 2011 at 18:10.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:12   #1027
Senior - BHPian

The best mode of transport to save the environment.
To keep your self healthier by exercise and don't forget to use mask to protect from our dusty roads.
Finally to save the economy of the inflation era.
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:49   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Folks have started to use the cycle for regular errands, looking for a bag which helps in carrying small stuffs. any suggestions on this?
Old 22nd October 2011, 16:13   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Limpid/MJothi boss,

Singer oil or any such 2T oil etc is a piece of manure. There have been multiple threads on this topic: BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Conclusive evidence against Singer oil as a chain lube

I am using finishline green and now am a convert.

and btw, u need to cut handlebar cover and put mirror. No big deal about it.

@trammway - if u make the suspension softer - u waste much more kinetic energy while pedaling. What do u wish to do?
Old 24th October 2011, 20:34   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I agree. I got 2 rear view mirrors, and not yet fixed. I am not ok to cut the handle bar cover to get this mirrors fit. I know, I should get this done as early as possible.
May be you need to remove the existing handle bar grip and opt a smaller one from toddler's or a boy's bike so that goes inside giving some space for your mirror attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@trammway - if u make the suspension softer - u waste much more kinetic energy while pedaling. What do u wish to do?
I agree with you, but my current suspension is as hard as hard tail in the rear. I'm looking for little suspension to absorb major jerks while riding on path holes.
Old 28th October 2011, 03:28   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the way tuning the RST front suspension which seems to be little hard side. If anyone of you have experienced in tuning or correcting the RST suspension please help me out with some details. I have a black plastic knob on the left onside suspension tube and a red colored alloy knob on the right side suspension tube and don't have any idea what position they should be kept.
I have a Trek 4300 and the front fork is similar to what you described. The 'black plastic knob on the left' adjusts the preload. In other words, it's supposed to make the suspension softer or harder. Notice I said 'supposed' - I don't find the difference all that great. Still, you could give it half a dozen turns in either direction and see if you can feel a difference when you push the handlebar down with force. Please note that this knob can sometimes be a bitch to turn.

The 'red alloy knob' on the other fork stanchion is the suspension lockout. It's easier to turn and the effect is more noticeable. Turn it to the closed position (as indiated by the little icon) and you won't feel the fork being 'springy' anymore. This 'locked' position is good for smooth tarmac as it conserves your energy and allows you to go slightly faster. In the 'open' position the shock absorbers become active. This is good for offroad trails and bumpy roads (or if you habitually ride up and down footpaths!)

Hope this helps.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 07:35   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I have a Trek 4300 and the front fork is similar to what you described. The 'black plastic knob on the left' adjusts the preload. In other words, it's supposed to make the suspension softer or harder. Notice I said 'supposed' - I don't find the difference all that great. Still, you could give it half a dozen turns in either direction and see if you can feel a difference when you push the handlebar down with force. Please note that this knob can sometimes be a bitch to turn.

The 'red alloy knob' on the other fork stanchion is the suspension lockout. It's easier to turn and the effect is more noticeable. Turn it to the closed position (as indiated by the little icon) and you won't feel the fork being 'springy' anymore. This 'locked' position is good for smooth tarmac as it conserves your energy and allows you to go slightly faster. In the 'open' position the shock absorbers become active. This is good for offroad trails and bumpy roads (or if you habitually ride up and down footpaths!)

Hope this helps.
Precisely written, now I know what is the possible options and limitations with RST suspension fork. Thanks a ton
Old 28th October 2011, 12:46   #1033
Senior - BHPian

I am selling my Schwinn Frontier Sport, 2010 model mountain bike, size Medium (5' 6" - 5' 10"), hardly used for 50kms with its Btwin FL1000 pump, Btwin SP5 KEY lock and helmet (never used). With my present back issues I am never going to be riding again. If any of you guys know someone looking for a decent bike, please pass the word. Its as good as brand new because its never exposed to sun or rain and always kept covered in the basement parking. I know the cycle community is very small here, therefore not putting up an ad too.
Old 28th October 2011, 15:47   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I know the cycle community is very small here, therefore not putting up an ad too.
Actually the Cycle Community is quite big here contrary to your belief

A friend of mine is looking for a bike so please let me know how much are you expecting for it.

Cheers
Old 28th October 2011, 15:55   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am selling my Schwinn Frontier Sport, 2010 model mountain bike, size Medium (5' 6" - 5' 10"), hardly used for 50kms....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Actually the Cycle Community is quite big here contrary to your belief .....
I know many friends here who take regular rides, but overall its a sleeping thread

Here is my ad BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Schwinn Frontier Sport 2010, as brand new

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks