Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 10:54   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishul View Post
RR Cycles, Marathahalli circle, I bought my Cannondale Trail 6 MTB there and know they do service too.
Thanks Trishul. I gave my cycle for repair there, after talking to them. I saw them servicing high end bikes.

I am impressed with the collection of bikes they have there. As per the person managing the store, they deal in bikes with price upto 9 lakhs.
Old 19th June 2014, 20:23   #1952
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm new to the Bicycle section of team-bhp. I'd love some opinions from all you guys who have been here for longer.
The only bicycle I have used so far is the Hercules MTB. That was 11 years ago when I was in school, after which it was discarded (broke).

My girlfriend also loves cycling and she has used a few. Her old ones are not comfortable anymore for long rides.

Both of us are looking to buy a decent bike each for a new beginning. Our budget is around 10k. Would not be able to cross 12k each.
Our needs are,
1) Daily short distance rides for about an hour (~10-15 Kms).
2) Weekend long distance rides (~75-100 Kms).

We were looking at the following :

1) Btwin Rockrider 5.0
2) Schnell Chafer 2013.
3) Hercules Ryders Act 110.

I'd really appreciate if any of you guys could give me some information about these bikes. I can't find any ownership reviews about them.

I'd also like some suggestions if there's anything else I should be looking at in this price bracket.

Replies would be highly appreciated.

Old 19th June 2014, 22:04   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitish.h View Post
1) Btwin Rockrider 5.0
2) Schnell Chafer 2013.
I have been RR 5 for past two years. Have completed almost 2000 KM including two 100 kms ride. Has been serving me well without much niggles. Its weight is high and the sitting posture is bit aggressive like a road bike. Apart from that its an excellent bike

Last edited by aah78 : 20th June 2014 at 18:13. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 20th June 2014, 09:04   #1954
BHPian

Quote:

1) Btwin Rockrider 5.0
2) Schnell Chafer 2013.
At the 10K price range I second the suggestion on Btwin RR5. Since you are in Bangalore just head over to the nearest Decathlon store and you should be all set. Just make sure to get the right frame size.

I previously owned Hercules Ryders Neo (before upgrading to Cannondale Trail 6) and I would advise staying clear from it.
Old 20th June 2014, 14:05   #1955
BHPian

Quote:

1) Btwin Rockrider 5.0
2) Schnell Chafer 2013.
I own an ACT110 since last 6 months. When I was in the market, I too had limited budget. So I had to decide between RR5.0 and Act 110. I tried RR5.0 but its seating position was not to my liking. I did not feel comfortable with it.
Beside it is an MTB with fatter tyres whereas my usage was going to be road only.

So I tried Act110. I found its seating to be comfortable and also it was a hybrid bicycle. People have reported issues with it like seat post breaking or pedals falling off. But I still took a chance, went ahead and bought Act110. So far I have done about 1800 kms on it. No issues so far. Tyres are holding good. No punctures till date. Gear shifts were bit notchy which I fixed during servicing. For the issues reported, I try to look for signs of wear and tear on seat post and pedals.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by shipnil : 20th June 2014 at 14:06.
Old 20th June 2014, 14:51   #1956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) Btwin Rockrider 5.0
2) Schnell Chafer 2013.

Being an existing RR 5.0 owner, and someone who has ridden the ACT 110 quite a bit, I'd first ask you to give both the bikes a test run. For longer rides, the ACT 110 being a hybrid is a better option.

Btw also check out the comments on this pic for more options around 10k budget.

P.s. The RR 5.0 ain't a bad deal either. Done over 1000km on it, with several >70 km rides.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th June 2014 at 14:52.
Old 21st June 2014, 07:46   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Took the Plunge And Got a Btwin Rock Rider 5.0 Yesterday(Last Bicycle was purchased for me when i was in Class 5 in 1995 a Hercules MTB;Still have it,though its in a bad shape).

Ex Showroom price-8979
On Road with Accessories-10803

I am pretty ok with the riding posture;but after riding it for about 12Kms yesterday,i found the seat to be uncomfortable even with the Gel pad.
Any Alternatives or DIY fixes for this?
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:44   #1958
BHPian

Good choice, RR 5.0 will make you happy. You will have to get rid of the saddle soreness by yourself. You will get used to it in 2 weeks time. The experts advise is not to use the gel pad. You may avoid it and will get adjusted to the saddle it self. I am vouching for this from my experience.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:58   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Good choice, RR 5.0 will make you happy. You will have to get rid of the saddle soreness by yourself. You will get used to it in 2 weeks time. The experts advise is not to use the gel pad. You may avoid it and will get adjusted to the saddle it self. I am vouching for this from my experience.
Gel pad was useless.I got a custom seat cover made for 80 bucks.
Life is much better now.
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:48   #1960

first post- great forum
was bitten by the cycling bug and now serious obsessed with it. Got myself a Btwin rockrider 5.2 from decathlon store in pune at an amazing discount. wanted a hybrid but settled for a MTB due to the specs and cost and also its better for a work out.
done about 300 km this month.
also discovered strava app and its great for motivation and keeping track.
would like to meet up with cyclists in Pune. 'am on the strava pune club. are there any groups in pune that i can get in touch with ?
this thread is excellent keep posting and keep riding
Old 26th June 2014, 20:30   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
I have been RR 5 for past two years. Have completed almost 2000 KM including two 100 kms ride. Has been serving me well without much niggles. Its weight is high and the sitting posture is bit aggressive like a road bike. Apart from that its an excellent bike
Thanks for the honest feedback. Appreciate it. However, Please do read the last part of this post and help me out with your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishul View Post
At the 10K price range I second the suggestion on Btwin RR5. Since you are in Bangalore just head over to the nearest Decathlon store and you should be all set. Just make sure to get the right frame size.

I previously owned Hercules Ryders Neo (before upgrading to Cannondale Trail 6) and I would advise staying clear from it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I visited Decathlon last Sunday. More about it in the last part of this post. Please do help me out a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I own an ACT110 since last 6 months. When I was in the market, I too had limited budget. So I had to decide between RR5.0 and Act 110. I tried RR5.0 but its seating position was not to my liking. I did not feel comfortable with it.
Beside it is an MTB with fatter tyres whereas my usage was going to be road only.

So I tried Act110. I found its seating to be comfortable and also it was a hybrid bicycle. People have reported issues with it like seat post breaking or pedals falling off. But I still took a chance, went ahead and bought Act110. So far I have done about 1800 kms on it. No issues so far. Tyres are holding good. No punctures till date. Gear shifts were bit notchy which I fixed during servicing. For the issues reported, I try to look for signs of wear and tear on seat post and pedals.

Hope this helps!
Hi Shipnil,
I checked out the ACT 110 last week. It was indeed, very comfortable. I also checked the RR5.1 . Found that to be more comfortable. More about it in the last part of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Being an existing RR 5.0 owner, and someone who has ridden the ACT 110 quite a bit, I'd first ask you to give both the bikes a test run. For longer rides, the ACT 110 being a hybrid is a better option.

Btw also check out the comments on this pic for more options around 10k budget.

P.s. The RR 5.0 ain't a bad deal either. Done over 1000km on it, with several >70 km rides.
Hi Ninja,

Rode both the bikes. Also, rode the RR5.1 . Thank you for the feedback. However, please help me out more on this.

Last Part : I visited Decathlon last Sunday to check out the RR5.0 . The previous night (Saturday), I compared the RR5.0 and RR5.1 and I almost wanted to get the 5.1 . But head over heart, I decided to get the 5.0 itself and went to bed. When I visited Decathlon and saw both bikes side by side, Heart ruled over the pocket and I didn't want to get the 5.0 anymore.

I just loved the way the 5.1 looks, feels and rides. One Mr. Preetham took a new 5.1 downstairs to the Parking Lot so that I could try and I just didn't want to stop riding it. Besides, my girlfriend also loved the 5.1 . They have a deal going for the 5.1 . If I'm buying two of them, I'll get each of them for Rs. 12500/- . That is quite a deal methinks. I somehow made up my mind to stretch until 12.5 and get the 5.1.

Now, I'd really like your advice and Suggestions on the RR5.1 . I'm planning to buy one by the end of next week. I'd better be right than regret, while I make this decision.

Your help in this is much appreciated.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:00   #1962
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have been thinking over buying a cycle for fitness reasons since a year now.
I finally decided to buy a Decathlon Rockroder 5.1 this year. After some basic research I bought my Bike on 20th Jan 2014 from Snapdeal.com since they are official reseller of Decathlon.

Though there are stores here in Nagpur which deal in Firefox, Trek etc. But somehow I just liked Decathlon after visiting their website and fitted my budget perfectly.

It was delivered to me in 8 days after the purchase was made online.

This is the shipping box in which it came:
The Bicycles thread-shippingbox.jpg

My Rockrider 5.1 after assembling:
The Bicycles thread-rr5.1.jpg
The Bicycles thread-rr5.1a.jpg
The Bicycles thread-rr5.1b.jpg

My friend bought Rockrider 5.2 as soon as he rode my cycle, this time from Decathlon's official website:
The Bicycles thread-rr5.2a.jpg
The Bicycles thread-rr5.2b.jpg

Later I purchased this car rack from eBay.com:
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand1.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand2.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand3.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand4.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand5.jpg
The Bicycles thread-cyclestand6.jpg

With 2 cycles on it:
The Bicycles thread-2cyclestand2bikes1.jpg
The Bicycles thread-2cyclestand2bikes2.jpg
Old 30th June 2014, 15:04   #1963
BANNED

Not legal to have your number plate covered. You could get another spare and ziptie it to the outermost bike.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:36   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Not legal to have your number plate covered. You could get another spare and ziptie it to the outermost bike.
Thanks kumar2007 for highlighting that. I will make sure next time I put a spare license plate on the outer most bike.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:40   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Good Cycle Computer

Hi can I request for some reccomendations for a decently good cylcomputer which can cover the basic readings for me-Distance,Speed,Ride Time and cadence if possibe.Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed