Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 18:41   #3226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For rides that last longer than an hour, it is very important to take care of nutrition and hydration. Depending on the amount you sweat, you may require anywhere from half a liter to one liter of water per hour for hydration, and depending on the intensity of the ride, 100 to 200 calories of nutrition an hour which should also include salts. Carry a couple of water bottles (600ml or 750ml) with one bottle with plain water and another with water mixed with (salt+sugar) substitute like Enerzal, Electral etc. Do not wait till you become thirsty or feel lack of energy. Have a sip of water and enerzal alternately every 10 minutes or so. At the end of an hour start adding nutrition in the form of energy bar or gel or banana. I usually take a bar of snicker (the small one) or a banana every hour. Consume only food that are easy to digest and quickly release glucose to the blood stream (like bananas, energy bars or energy gels). Avoid solid food like bread, cakes or pastries or idli/dosa/vada as these take longer to digest and also divert energy to the digestive system thus depriving you of energy to pedal.

Also, have some carbs 30 to 60 minutes before the ride - again easy to digest. This will get you started with enough energy.

If you follow proper hydration and nutrition, you will easily do 60 mile rides.

Happy cycling!
Thank you! I am quoting the entire post because the entire post is very useful! I have a 2L hydration pack that i fill with water before going on these rides and I manage to finish more than half of it. Usually this has sufficed but now I see your point, and from what I went through, that I also need to keep another bottle of water mixed with salt and sugar. Or how about a bottle of Gatorade?
I read somewhere to avoid energy bars because they take a while to digest. But they are ok to consume and hour or so before the ride. Still, between energy bars and bananas, I'd prefer bananas any day.
These are some important tips for me as I intend to increase my riding distance over time, so thanks once again!
Old 7th September 2016, 21:13   #3227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Or how about a bottle of Gatorade?
I read somewhere to avoid energy bars because they take a while to digest. But they are ok to consume and hour or so before the ride. Still, between energy bars and bananas, I'd prefer bananas any day.
You are most welcome. Glad to be of help.

Yes. You can have Gatorade which has salt, sugar and also minerals that you would lose through sweat.

Even I prefer banana over energy bar. But on very long rides, it is difficult to carry bananas in the saddle bag in the bike. So, I use snickers or some chocolate bar that can provide instant energy. Recently, I saw one of my fellow riders use dried banana which was really good and easy to carry as well. Will try that next time instead of chocolate bars.
Old 12th September 2016, 21:07   #3228
BHPian

Quote:
So, last Sunday, I had my first ever first hand experience of what "bonking" is.
I have also experienced this few times.

Quote:
For rides that last longer than an hour, it is very important to take care of nutrition and hydration.
Thanks a ton Graaja. Never knew nutrition and hydration would be so much important. I was making a big mistake of not paying attention to what I eat before/after a ride and carrying only simple water (500 to 750 ml).

Will be more careful while planning long rides

On a side note, I'm seriously thinking of installing the cycle rear carrier so that all the stuff can be loaded on it instead of backpack. It will be a big relief for shoulders. Any pointers to a decent generic carrier?
Old 13th September 2016, 20:08   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. You can have Gatorade which has salt, sugar and also minerals that you would lose through sweat.
I tried the same 36 mile course last Sunday, with a few changes.
1. Had a nice carb rich meal for dinner the night before.
2. Had a proper 8 hour sleep.
3. Carried a bottle of Gatorade and a snack bar.
4. Stopped at the 20 mile mark for 5 minutes, where I ate the snack bar.
5. Sipped on Gatorade and water. 1 sip of Gatorade and 2 sips of water, spaced out evenly.

The result was much better. Finished with an average speed of 16.9 mph as opposed to 15.6 mph earlier. Plus, had enough energy left to help around in the house with cleaning and have some friends over later in the evening to do some grilling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

On a side note, I'm seriously thinking of installing the cycle rear carrier so that all the stuff can be loaded on it instead of backpack. It will be a big relief for shoulders. Any pointers to a decent generic carrier?
What do you have in your backpack?
I have this under my seat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It contains a spare tube, a flat repair kit, 4 levers and a multi size allen wrench tool.
Old 13th September 2016, 21:41   #3230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Thanks a ton Graaja. Never knew nutrition and hydration would be so much important. I was making a big mistake of not paying attention to what I eat before/after a ride and carrying only simple water (500 to 750 ml).

Will be more careful while planning long rides
You are most welcome! Good luck with your rides

Quote:
I tried the same 36 mile course last Sunday, with a few changes.
1. Had a nice carb rich meal for dinner the night before.
2. Had a proper 8 hour sleep.
3. Carried a bottle of Gatorade and a snack bar.
4. Stopped at the 20 mile mark for 5 minutes, where I ate the snack bar.
5. Sipped on Gatorade and water. 1 sip of Gatorade and 2 sips of water, spaced out evenly.

The result was much better. Finished with an average speed of 16.9 mph as opposed to 15.6 mph earlier. Plus, had enough energy left to help around in the house with cleaning and have some friends over later in the evening to do some grilling!
That is really a good improvement in average speed. And the fact that you had energy to party in the evening shows that your nutrition and hydration were adequate. Keep practicing this and in no time you will be doing 62 mile rides with ease.

On another note, are you on Strava (or any other fitness tracker)? I use Strava to track progress in all my activities and it is very useful.

Last edited by graaja : 13th September 2016 at 21:44.
Old 13th September 2016, 23:38   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep practicing this and in no time you will be doing 62 mile rides with ease.
Ah the metric century! Yes, one day. Although I have done a 65 mile ride earlier this year. Here's the Strava link:
https://www.strava.com/activities/629088407

Next goal is the century ride now. But with winter season approaching fast, I will have to save it for next year maybe.

Quote:
On another note, are you on Strava (or any other fitness tracker)? I use Strava to track progress in all my activities and it is very useful.
Let me know if you can see the above link or not. We can connect on Strava as well then.

Speaking of Strava, yes it is a very useful app except for one glaring flaw. The map is always oriented northwards. That makes it somewhat difficult to follow directions. But now I am getting used to that as well.

Yesterday I bought the Wahoo cadence sensor as well. But I dont know yet whether it will pair with Strava or not, without me having to buy premium membership!
Old 15th September 2016, 22:20   #3232
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am right now into shopping a new bike for myself and a bit confused. Need your help and advise in selecting a bike right for my usage.

A bit about myself and the usage. I am 5 10 and weigh 75 kgs. I am looking at buying a cycle for strickly usage inside city and for riding max of 20-25 kms weekly.Also I would use it atleast thrice a week for going to gym. My budget is around 15k which can extend upto 20k if the bike is really good. I have shortlisted few and have personally went and checked as well.

1. Btwin Rockrider 340 : Bike is light and felt good to ride. Cant say much as I could ride only inside the store and its very difficult to judge.

http://www.decathlon.in/p/8359148_ro...57-l_1m75_1m80

2. Firefox Rapide 21S : Bike was not as light as Btwin and also didnt like the riding posture . Probably because the size was small but they did say that they can procure a large size.

http://www.firefoxbikes.com/BikeDetails.aspx?BikeId=54

3. Montra Trance : I could not see this bike in store. But it does tick the boxes and also falls under the price range.

https://montra.in/hybrid-bike/montra-trance-pro-2016/

4. Montra Urban sport : Again liked the looks but have not personally seen this.

https://montra.in/urban-sport/montra-helicon-2016/

1. Can you please suggest me which one I could go for?
2. Any people owning the bikes from Montra? Can you please share the riding experience?
3. Any multi brand store where in I can see all the brands under one roof?

The people at Track and trail in Jayanagar where I went to see Montra were not even keen on telling about the bikes. They simply showed me one bike (I dont even know the name but definitely not the ones I have shared) and said that the price is 16000 and went off. I simply walked out of the store. So any recommendations for a good multi brand showroom in Bangalore would help.
Old 16th September 2016, 11:08   #3233
BHPian

^^According to your needs the Firefox & Montra trance will work well,more inclination towards the Firefox as it has better groupset than the Montra.
Old 16th September 2016, 12:41   #3234
NAK

I recently bought. Montra 1.1 mountain bike and extremely pleased with it. Costed me 19k and got few accessories complimentary with it.
Old 16th September 2016, 13:39   #3235
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. It kept pace with me until around May this year, when I felt I had outgrown the Montra and needed a faster machine. But, even now, the Montra is in beautiful condition, no rust, no issues, and rides, practically as good as new.

Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
Old 17th September 2016, 13:21   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

I am right now into shopping a new bike for myself and a bit confused. Need your help and advise in selecting a bike right for my usage.

A bit about myself and the usage. I am 5 10 and weigh 75 kgs. I am looking at buying a cycle for strickly usage inside city and for riding max of 20-25 kms weekly.Also I would use it atleast thrice a week for going to gym. My budget is around 15k which can extend upto 20k if the bike is really good.
Since your prospective riding is exclusively on city roads, it would be better to go for hybrid or road bikes. Mountain bikes with shock absorbers and thicker tires will sap energy. A 32c section or thinner tires would be ideal for city roads.
Old 17th September 2016, 23:09   #3237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
I recently bought. Montra 1.1 mountain bike and extremely pleased with it. Costed me 19k and got few accessories complimentary with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. It kept pace with me until around May this year, when I felt I had outgrown the Montra and needed a faster machine. But, even now, the Montra is in beautiful condition, no rust, no issues, and rides, practically as good as new.

Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
I am using Montra Blues 1.1 for last two years without any issues with 2k+ kms. Very easy on maintenance.

Very satisfied with the cycle so far.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:01   #3238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
^^According to your needs the Firefox & Montra trance will work well,more inclination towards the Firefox as it has better groupset than the Montra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^^ I purchased a Montra early last year, on the suggestions I received from this very forum - a Montra Blues 1.1 hybrid. Would I recommend a Montra to a beginner - Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Since your prospective riding is exclusively on city roads, it would be better to go for hybrid or road bikes. Mountain bikes with shock absorbers and thicker tires will sap energy. A 32c section or thinner tires would be ideal for city roads.
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I would go out today to look out for bikes and I would start with Montra. Not very keen on firefox though. Any other brand that I would get in that price range which I can look for?
Old 19th September 2016, 13:17   #3239
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently developed an interest in cycling and wanted to pick up a new bike

Primary purpose :

I do not enjoy exercising in gymnasium. I like outdoor activity like walking, swimming etc. I do walk regularly but, wanted to get into cycling in a serious manner. I plan to initially cycle for 4-5kms every day and slowly build up stamina (and, courage) to ride longer

Have visited Decathlon a few times and tried out multiple cycles but, I like the BTWIN Rockrider 340 (L Frame) the most

It seemed like a decent starting bicycle and fully kitted is costing me INR 18,500

Is this price decent? Is there any other bicycle which i should consider as it's better or similar in specs and overall durability?

Appreciate inputs from the bicycling stalwarts here and thanks in advance
Old 19th September 2016, 13:23   #3240
BHPian

Hello,

How much can I pay for a one year old BTWIN rockrider 340 bicycle? My friend is willing to sell it and not sure of the price.

Most Viewed