Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2018, 19:16   #3541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I have tail light by btwin (VIOO) and it contains a USB chargable cell. Now the tail light is not getting charged, and I suspect the battery is conked off. It is LIR2477. Any idea where can I find this battery? The non chargeable brother of this battery (CR2477) powers our car remote.
Old 13th April 2018, 16:53   #3542
BHPian

First of all a big thanks and shout out to members graaja, amitoj, prabuddhadg, navin_bhp, bugatti and others (sorry if I missed any active members of this thread) for their valuable inputs on this thread which I have gone over multiple times after getting bitten by the cycling bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post

I am planning to get a Flat bar Road bike or a fixed fork Hybrid Bike (models which lean more towards a road bike than MTB like fitness bikes with 700/32c or 28c tires) and need your suggestions.

I am travelling to US next week and plan to get one from there.
Sorry for the late update on this as have been travelling. Bought my bike from US after testing a few of them in the short time frame I had. Ended up getting the Trek FX3 2018 Model after riding it and comparing it with other models. Loved the ride quality and the Matte Black Finish

The Bicycles thread-trek_fx3.jpg

Here is the bike with a DYI PVC Front stand for extra stability. Need to fix the bottle holder and other accessories and Time to start putting miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Checkout the Sirrus line from Specialized and bad boy models from Cannondale. The Trek makes more sense if you plan get their accessories as well. They have some cool mount options for the saddle, garmin and go pros.
Thank you navin_bhp for the inputs. Did check out Sirrus but couldn't check on ride quality as they didn't have one for a test ride. Checked out some models (don't remember the names) of Cannondale at Sports Basement but didn't find something I liked.

Yeah, planning to get Trek accessories as I slowly build up my accessory list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
1)Merida Speeder 100 is a really good bike (you can bike it up at a competitive price in India itself)

Other options
2)Cannondale Quick 4 or 3, costs around 35-50k in India,

3)Ridley Temp X (60-65k in India)

4)Trek Zektor 2(55k in India)

5)Giant Escape 1 (comes with disc, 55k in India)
Thanks Bugatti for the inputs. Did check Cannondale & Giant escape series before finalizing on the Trek. Couldn't check the Ridley Model as I had already bought my bike before I saw these inputs.
manas_270 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 17:11   #3543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
It is LIR2477. Any idea where can I find this battery? The non chargeable brother of this battery (CR2477) powers our car remote.
Ebay has sellers who ship to India.

Else: Aliexpress for the LIR2477. And till it comes, the CR2477 from your local watch repair shops. I think this is the easiest way of getting the cells.

Last edited by condor : 13th April 2018 at 17:13.
Old 13th April 2018, 22:38   #3544
BHPian

Quote:
Bought my bike from US after testing a few of them in the short time frame I had.
Ended up getting the Trek FX3 2018 Model after riding it and comparing it with other models.
Hi, nice bike
Could you give some details of how you shipped the bike back home ?
Did you ship the box in which the bike came & assembled it yourself or did you use a bike-case, or some such ?
I have a couple of nice bikes back home that I'd like to ship here, your thoughts on the matter would be welcome.
Old 13th April 2018, 22:54   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Did you ship the box in which the bike came & assembled it yourself or did you use a bike-case, or some such ?
I have a couple of nice bikes back home that I'd like to ship here, your thoughts on the matter would be welcome.
I got it with me as part of 1 piece check-in baggage. I had it disassembled and packed in the box the bike comes in and got it assembled here.
Old 13th April 2018, 23:05   #3546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, nice bike
It's not a big deal - head to a bike store and ask them to box it up; most bike shops'll do it for a minor charge in just over a few hours time (it cost me $50 in NY). You could also box it yourself; but I find the first option a much better alternative. The first time I used my bike bag; got a few minor parts broken. Airlines handle the boxes much better IMO.

Airlines recognize it as a sports item and have the charges decided upfront (~$150-$250). A few airlines used to allow one sports item for free (Virgin Atlantic allowed it for free for me)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th April 2018 at 23:10.
Old 14th April 2018, 17:18   #3547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Airlines recognize it as a sports item and have the charges decided upfront (~$150-$250). A few airlines used to allow one sports item for free (Virgin Atlantic allowed it for free for me)
$150 -$250 if you check-in as part of your check-in baggage allowance as well?

I checked-in free with Cathay Pacific who mentioned they had no restriction on box size as long as it is within 50 lbs.
Old 15th April 2018, 05:23   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
I checked-in free with Cathay Pacific who mentioned they had no restriction on box size as long as it is within 50 lbs.
Are you sure of this any size thing being a policy? I just flew CP and thought they have a circumference limit of the item being checked in.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:20   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Are you sure of this any size thing being a policy? I just flew CP and thought they have a circumference limit of the item being checked in.
Yup, I am sure. This comes under Sporting Goods and they have a separate rules for those https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...equipment.html Check Travelling with a Bicycle section.

I had called the Cathay Pacific San Francisco Office to confirm as well before buying the bike and they reiterated the same. No restriction on box size but needs to be under 50 lbs. Generally the cycle boxes are well within the size restrictions.
Old 16th April 2018, 00:12   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, I am sure. This comes under Sporting Goods and they have a separate rules for those https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...equipment.html Check Travelling with a Bicycle section.

I had called the Cathay Pacific San Francisco Office to confirm as well before buying the bike and they reiterated the same. No restriction on box size but needs to be under 50 lbs. Generally the cycle boxes are well within the size restrictions.
Congrats on the FX3. Did you have to pay any duty?
Old 16th April 2018, 05:32   #3551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got it with me as part of 1 piece check-in baggage.

Nice bike. Where in India did you land? Did you have any issues at customs or any demands to pay duty? Thanks.
Old 16th April 2018, 13:07   #3552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Congrats on the FX3. Did you have to pay any duty?
Thanks navin_bhp. Nope, didn't have to pay any as it was below the Rs.50,000 limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Nice bike. Where in India did you land? Did you have any issues at customs or any demands to pay duty? Thanks.
Thanks Axe77. Landed in Hyderabad and customs was a breeze. The customs officer was aware it was a bike and told me to go ahead through the green
channel.
Old 16th April 2018, 14:53   #3553
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

I am looking for a cycle for my fitness. The requirements are:
- Comfortable
- Light weight and fast
- Strong brakes
- Reliable (no/low maintenance)
- For Flat roads and ghats (all on the paved roads, no off-roading)

Will appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th April 2018 at 14:54.
Old 16th April 2018, 20:58   #3554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hello,

Try Montra Blues range. It is a hybrid bike with/without suspension.
There are 3 types I guess - 1) Hardtail 2) Blues 1.1 3) Blues 1.2

If your budget is low, Montra Downtown is a good way to start.
It all boils down to your budget, you can then filter your way through brands.

BTWIN has Riverside range, which is has bikes from budget ( Riverside 100 ) to premium ( Riverside 900 ), which you can consider.
Since ghat roads are in your vicinity, you will mostly need a bike with front derailleur.
Old 17th April 2018, 06:22   #3555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hello,

- Comfortable
- Light weight and fast
- Strong brakes
- Reliable (no/low maintenance)
- For Flat roads and ghats (all on the paved roads, no off-roading)

Will appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks!
I would split the bicycle selection into two steps - choose the type and then choose the model.

As you want a fast bike for flat road and ghats, no off-roading, you should go for hybrid or road bike. If it for commuting, casual rides for general fitness etc., then a hybrid bike. If it is for performance and sport then a road bike. As you have not mentioned about sport and performance, I would suggest a hybrid bike.

Choosing the model will be purely based on budget. You have not mentioned your budget.

For a budget in the 10K to 15K, you have Riverside 100
For a budget in the range of 20K, you can check out Montra blues or Riverside 500
For a budget in the range of 40K, you can check out Trek FX, Fuji Absolute etc.

If you want a reliable bike with minimum maintenance issues, I would suggest you start at least with the 20K budget range.

Most Viewed