Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 08:56   #3946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I use it daily for around an hour for exercise and because riding helps me to think and harness my thoughts when I am riding around my neighbourhood.

I love the looks of it and we recently have a guy finishing 1200KM BRM with it well within the 90 hr mark.
However for exercise I keep reading, being in the right cadence helps calorie burn and muscle build up. With the oversized tyres are you able to get to the right cadence levels?
Though the bikes were designed for sand and snow, I believe they can be equally comfortable on our roads with pot holes. But are they good for exercise?
Pls do share your experience and how do you use them.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:01   #3947
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
I love the looks of it and we recently have a guy finishing 1200KM BRM with it well within the 90 hr mark.
However for exercise I keep reading, being in the right cadence helps calorie burn and muscle build up. With the oversized tyres are you able to get to the right cadence levels?
Though the bikes were designed for sand and snow, I believe they can be equally comfortable on our roads with pot holes. But are they good for exercise?
Pls do share your experience and how do you use them.
Well I ride about 8 km a day which is all that I have time for. Keeps me going.
I’m seeing the benefits in terms of overall stamina and muscle tone.
I’m happy because I ve always largely been fit but with the coming of the mid 40’s have put on weight, which can only be controlled by reducing intake, diet control, portion control and exercise.
I’m not out for a triathlon or marathon or the Tour De France.... happy to remain reasonably fit and promote peace of mind by cycling daily when in Bangalore and playing golf on weekends.
Old 30th October 2018, 09:21   #3948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Well I ride about 8 km a day which is all that I have time for. Keeps me going.
Very early in my life have been attracted to fat and bigger tyres be it motorbike or car. So the fat bike is tempting. Maybe some day I’ll add this to my set of wheels.

Have fun with it.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:17   #3949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
But for a flatbar hybrid, which is better?

One issue with chopping a drop bar is that most drop bars are narrower than flatbars.

Cheers, Doc
Hey Doc, my answer to that will surely end up being biased. I have spent so many years on drop handlebars and so little time on flat straight handlebars, that whenever I now try out MTB's or basic straight bars, I feel extremely uncomfortable.

Having said that, I would argue that on one hand with a straight bar, you have a few different positions on a straight bar to hold on to, basically to provide some variations to your palms and wrists. On the other hand, the bull horn bar gives you four positions, the ends of the bars where the brakes are fitted, the portions of the bar parallel to your bike frame, the curves where your palms can rest and the straight portion on two sides of the stem.

Of course, with bar end extenders a straight bar can offer more variations.
On rough terrain, a wide bar may be better for minute steering control. In heavy traffic, a narrow bar will get through more gaps.

By the way, the bull horns that I use (Deda make) are shaped like the top of the drop handlebar combined with the brake hoods. I had once considered cutting up a drop bar to make bull horns, but that created a bigger curve. Not a dealbreaker, of course, just a matter of personal preference. Even I love tinkering with my bicycles.
Old 30th October 2018, 12:01   #3950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One issue with chopping a drop bar is that most drop bars are narrower than flatbars.
The narrower drop bars have an advantage. The narrow width of the drop bar gives a smaller profile against wind which significantly reduces drag. When doing bike fit, they set the width of the drop bar (yes, they change the handle bard to suit the rider) to the shoulder width so that your shoulders do not open up against the wind. So, if you are into long rides where yo expect severe head winds, a narrower drop bar gives you an advantage.

Also, as prabuddhadg has mentioned, a proper drop bar provides multiple hand positions so that you can keep changing the positions to relieve stress on the same muscle groups.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:23   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Hey Doc, my answer to that will surely end up being biased. I have spent so many years on drop handlebars and so little time on flat straight handlebars, that whenever I now try out MTB's or basic straight bars, I feel extremely uncomfortable.

Having said that, I would argue that on one hand with a straight bar, you have a few different positions on a straight bar to hold on to, basically to provide some variations to your palms and wrists. On the other hand, the bull horn bar gives you four positions, the ends of the bars where the brakes are fitted, the portions of the bar parallel to your bike frame, the curves where your palms can rest and the straight portion on two sides of the stem.

Of course, with bar end extenders a straight bar can offer more variations.
On rough terrain, a wide bar may be better for minute steering control. In heavy traffic, a narrow bar will get through more gaps.

By the way, the bull horns that I use (Deda make) are shaped like the top of the drop handlebar combined with the brake hoods. I had once considered cutting up a drop bar to make bull horns, but that created a bigger curve. Not a dealbreaker, of course, just a matter of personal preference. Even I love tinkering with my bicycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The narrower drop bars have an advantage. The narrow width of the drop bar gives a smaller profile against wind which significantly reduces drag. When doing bike fit, they set the width of the drop bar (yes, they change the handle bard to suit the rider) to the shoulder width so that your shoulders do not open up against the wind. So, if you are into long rides where yo expect severe head winds, a narrower drop bar gives you an advantage.

Also, as prabuddhadg has mentioned, a proper drop bar provides multiple hand positions so that you can keep changing the positions to relieve stress on the same muscle groups.
Thanks for those great inputs guys. I'm sure the drop bar on my roadie will be all you guys claim it to be. But I'm currently still fixated on my flat bar hybrid.

I'm a bit confused with one part of your post Prabuddha.

Where you say a flat bar with bar end extenders will possibly have more positions than the bullhorn bar?

Shouldn't they be exactly the same, just that the bullhorn is a single piece?

You can change the tilt of the horns by rotating the bar on the stem clamp. On the flat bar you can do the same. Or you can adjust each barend angle individually as well.

I guess the big advantage I saw in the bullhorn bars I saw recently in Geneva was the curved corners. Those would be more comfortable to rest the base of your palms on - against the pad of the thumb ... As the thumb either hooked around the outside or the inside of the horn (that's actually two different hand positions, with subtle difference in pressure points).

In the flat bar with bar end extenders, that's my go to cruising position, as I have my bar set quite low, as the frame is small, and it gives me a good driving aero position (at least, my body has adapted to it). Only thing is, the sharp round end of the bar, and the overlapping clamping ring of the bar end provide a sharp edge which bites into the flesh if the palm over distance, even with padded gloves.

I've found a workaround which is a foam tube cover over the bar ends, which I've cut at the ends of the clamps so that they can slide over and under it and give some extra cushioning.

Another option I've not yet tried is taping around that sharp corner edge. Though I've been told that drop bar bartape will just get cut there.

Hope you guys get what I'm describing without a specific foto to point out the exact offending region.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. I prefer narrower bars too Graaja. My urban bar on the ACT has barely an inch of unused space on either side after barends, grips, brake/shifter, computer/light, and center clamp. As a result of which the default hand position described above is more comfortable for longer, than the hands straight on top of the actual grips (I use that only as a change relief).
Old 31st October 2018, 10:18   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
… I'm a bit confused with one part of your post Prabuddha.

Where you say a flat bar with bar end extenders will possibly have more positions than the bullhorn bar?

Shouldn't they be exactly the same, just that the bullhorn is a single piece?

You can change the tilt of the horns by rotating the bar on the stem clamp. On the flat bar you can do the same. Or you can adjust each barend angle individually as well..
Apologies. I should have expressed more clearly. I only meant that a bar with extenders offers a wider range of hand positions compared to a bar without extenders.

I would any day prefer a one piece handlebar instead of bolt on extensions.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:19   #3953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any idea which brand bicycle they are riding?
Off topic - Just saw this video. What struck me was that all the cycling was being done without any show off or any pomp and without disturbing public. They even stopped once for traffic.

Wonder when will our political leaders reach at this level.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:43. Reason: Video removed from quote.
Old 31st October 2018, 18:23   #3954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Apologies. I should have expressed more clearly. I only meant that a bar with extenders offers a wider range of hand positions compared to a bar without extenders.

I would any day prefer a one piece handlebar instead of bolt on extensions.
Exactly. That was my attraction as well ... no matter the torque, bar end extenders have a tendency of shifting under load or sudden forces.

Takes away a lot of confidence in really putting your weight on them .... especially over rough roads.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st October 2018 at 18:26.
Old 31st October 2018, 21:35   #3955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Takes away a lot of confidence in really putting your weight on them .... especially over rough roads.

Cheers, Doc
But but but... you shouldn't be putting much weight on your hands anyway!
Old 1st November 2018, 01:00   #3956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
But but but... you shouldn't be putting much weight on your hands anyway!
Towards the end of a long ride, no matter how strong your core is, as your pedaling gets fatigued, the counter force holding up your upper body reduces, and automatically there is increased weight through your hands.

This happens to the pros too, so I'm pretty sure it happens at our level ....

Cheers, Doc
Old 1st November 2018, 01:34   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Towards the end of a long ride, no matter how strong your core is, as your pedaling gets fatigued, the counter force holding up your upper body reduces, and automatically there is increased weight through your hands.

This happens to the pros too, so I'm pretty sure it happens at our level ....

Cheers, Doc
I should have put a smirking emoji there to indicate that it was more of a pun on the proponents of text book biking.

You are right. The closer you are to the end of a long ride, the farther from ideal is your riding position. Everything goes out the window except the need to pedal and pedal till you cross the finish line.

Btw, anyone follows any interesting biking related YouTube channels? I follow a few like GCN, Rapha, SickBiker etc but the one I enjoy the most is The Col Collective. They post ride videos of famous mountains. I remember in one of the videos, the rider near the end says, "Chasing daylight, climbing mountains. What a feeling. That's why we ride" Checkout the channel if you haven't and share your favorite channels too!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMs...nhxGgRmhxVs62A
Old 1st November 2018, 01:43   #3958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I should have put a smirking emoji there to indicate that it was more of a pun on the proponents of text book biking.

You are right. The closer you are to the end of a long ride, the farther from ideal is your riding position. Everything goes out the window except the need to pedal and pedal till you cross the finish line.

Btw, anyone follows any interesting biking related YouTube channels? I follow a few like GCN, Rapha, SickBiker etc but the one I enjoy the most is The Col Collective. They post ride videos of famous mountains. I remember in one of the videos, the rider near the end says, "Chasing daylight, climbing mountains. What a feeling. That's why we ride" Checkout the channel if you haven't and share your favorite channels too!

https://www.Youtube.com/channel/UCMs...nhxGgRmhxVs62A
Lol apologies for getting defensive. You're a pro. Should have guessed

Thanks for the link. Will check it out!

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th November 2018, 11:56   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Back on the saddle again (back to my trusty ol' ACT) after my 600 disaster on September 29th. Felt good. Cycling is like a happy drug.

The Bicycles thread-img_20181104_074838.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20181104_074916.jpg

Bhakti Shakti Chowk and back via Bombay Sappers.

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th November 2018, 12:44   #3960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhakti Shakti Chowk and back via Bombay Sappers.

Cheers, Doc
Wonderful doc, keep it up and riding. By the way where do you stay? I can join you on some of your rides if you don't mind. I stay near Akurdi Railway station, in front of the new PCNTDA office. Ping/call me if you are this side any time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks