Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 17:59   #4711
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In the past Aliexpress purchases have had no delivery issues, but I wonder if they'll get delivered in the current situation. Default option is saying 11 - 20 days but I wonder.
Ali Express is still delivering fine. A friend of mine has gotten a lot of items in the recent past (post Galwan).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:11   #4712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes, it is, provided you get a structurally clean piece (no frame and drive-train and wheel damage or rust) at a reasonable price. Consumables are peripheral and secondary. Even though some of them like chain and freewheel and bottom bracket or headset do cost money ...

Cheers, Doc
Thanks again for such detailed analysis and viewpoint Doc! This is really helpful. I'll keep this in mind in my search for a good but easy on pocket purchase (have been scouring Olx, Cyclops, FB Marketplace, etc.)

Thanks once more!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 20:33   #4713
BHPian

Quote:
Blew out my tyre on the trainer day before yesterday.
Get a dedicated trainer tire Doc. Continental, TACX, Vittoria and even Kurt make them.
https://www.thegeekycyclist.com/best...trainer-tires/

Inflate it to 100 PSI and keep an eye on the pressure frequently. The trainers are hard on tires but a dedicated on will last a whole lot longer.

Last edited by mohit : 21st August 2020 at 20:34.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:49   #4714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Get a dedicated trainer tire Doc. Continental, TACX, Vittoria and even Kurt make them.
https://www.thegeekycyclist.com/best...trainer-tires/

Inflate it to 100 PSI and keep an eye on the pressure frequently. The trainers are hard on tires but a dedicated on will last a whole lot longer.
Yes buddy, eventually I will get a dedicated tyre. Just using up my old tyres first. Have a set of GRLs and another set of Kendra's.

As long as there is no slip and the power is constant, it's good use of resources. Otherwise these tyres would simply lie around or be thrown away.

Cheers, Doc
Old 22nd August 2020, 17:19   #4715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quick question - does it make sense ordering from China (Lightinthebox) given the current poitical and local situation? In the past Aliexpress purchases have had no delivery issues, but I wonder if they'll get delivered in the current situation. Default option is saying 11 - 20 days but I wonder.

Any thoughts?
Worst case you don't get it and your money is refunded. But somehow, my Lightinthebox experiences have been much better than AliExpress. I have ordered clipless shoes and pedals, extra cleats and this cycle GPS. All came in the promised time and only the shoes attracted custom's duty.

So go ahead and order it if you feel the price is right. Then the waiting game begins.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:23   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone here have any experience with getting a "bike fitting" done? How was the outcome and was it worth it? Cost? Any suggested places in Bangalore?
Old 24th August 2020, 21:04   #4717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with getting a "bike fitting" done? How was the outcome and was it worth it? Cost? Any suggested places in Bangalore?
I have got bike fitting done by Bjorn, a professional from England. He visits Coimbatore every year during the MVS Criterium a cycling tournament that takes place in Kari motor track. The fit was done by Bjorn and Deepthi, his colleague. I think Deepthi is in Bangalore. I paid 9K for the bike fit. It took about an hour and a half to finish.

For me, bike fit is totally worth it. I used to have knee and hip pain during long rides of 100+ km. But after the bike fit I did not have any such pains. If you are into long distance cycling, I would highly recommend.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 05:16   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100% recommended if you are serious into cycling. I used to have foot numbness in rides longer than 30+ kms also during high cadence rides my butt used to jump around the saddle ! Post bike fit both these issues vanished.
Even if you don’t have any specific issue , a proper bike fit helps you to unlock your full potential with your bike .
From 25 kmph avg for a 2 hour ride in July , I am now doing 31 kmph avg for the same 2 hours. Difference is Bit fit plus one month of Strength , conditioning and Ride training’s.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 09:03   #4719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
100% recommended if you are serious into cycling.
Thanks for the info. So it seems to be very benificial for serious riders. But 9k is a bit much, or is it the norm? Crankmeister in Bangalore is one place thrown up on a Google search, but prices not mentioned.
Old 25th August 2020, 10:08   #4720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So it seems to be very benificial for serious riders. But 9k is a bit much, or is it the norm? Crankmeister in Bangalore is one place thrown up on a Google search, but prices not mentioned.
I got it done back in 2015 in the US. Didn't pay extra charges though, but I bought a road bike from that store.

Mastermind Bicycle Studio is another I know who does bike fitting. They are based out of Mumbai (and a few other cities). Generally the fitting is offered if you are planning to purchase the bike from them; so I don't know if they charge it as a service as their bike products are more expensive brands so the service cost would be mitigated by the bike purchase.

Are you looking only at the service (and not a bike purchase)? If no, then ask around the stores that offer this service and the products available. You might not be charged for it.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 13:26   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Guys, what would be the best way to record my workouts on the trainer. Earlier I had plans to get the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2 bundle along with the Polar OH1+ Heart Rate sensor through a friend coming from US. Right now I am using a simple cyclometer but it is erratic and I can't see the stats because it has to be mounted on the seat because the sensor is on the rear wheel and it's range is very less.
Any help with this query will be greatly appreciated.
Old 25th August 2020, 13:57   #4722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any help with this query will be greatly appreciated.
Can you give more information of your setup? What trainer you use? Which cyclocomputer do you use? A few pictures would help.
Old 25th August 2020, 14:19   #4723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Can you give more information of your setup? What trainer you use? Which cyclocomputer do you use? A few pictures would help.
Of course. I have the Decathlon InRide 500. And I had the very basic Cannondale IQ200 wireless which is designed for the front wheel. It is a basic cyclocomputer in which the sensor is mounted on the front wheel and the display unit on the handle bar. Problem in using it with the trainer is that when I move the sensor to the back wheel the display unit is not in range anymore when mounted on the handlebar as this system has a very short range. I am looking for a similar basic unit which doesn't break the bank but has enough range that the sensor can be mounted on the back wheel and the display unit on the handlebar.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8487132/a...0-home-trainer
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/a...omputer-iq-200
Old 25th August 2020, 14:37   #4724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course. I have the Decathlon InRide 500. And I had the very basic Cannondale IQ200 wireless which is designed for the front wheel. It is a basic cyclocomputer in which the sensor is mounted on the front wheel and the display unit on the handle bar. Problem in using it with the trainer is that when I move the sensor to the back wheel the display unit is not in range anymore when mounted on the handlebar as this system has a very short range. I am looking for a similar basic unit which doesn't break the bank but has enough range that the sensor can be mounted on the back wheel and the display unit on the handlebar.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8487132/a...0-home-trainer
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/a...omputer-iq-200
Speed means nothing on an indoor trainer. Different types of trainers show different speeds for the same effort. Usually the direct drive ones show higher speeds than the wheel on ones (either fluid or magnetic).

Ideal is to train with power. For that either your trainer needs to sync with an app that gives you a power readout (like Kurt Kinetic trainers with the In Ride pod sensor and the Kinetic Fit app which is my setup which gives me speed, power, cadence, and syncs with my BTwin HRM to give HR as well) or if its a dumb trainer (like the Btwin 100 or 500) then you need standalone sensors for cadence and speed and use an app like Wahoo which can sync with these sensors as well as your HRM to give you all these reads. For power then you could (I think) use something like Zwift or Rouvy (though I have no experience with either) which would give you an extrapolated power readout based on preset curves and some parameters based on their in-built algorithms. Or you could quite easily train to HR Zones as well. Which is the next best alternative to power, and just suffers from being slightly laggy and not as instantaneous as power, so your effort is always earlier the HR readout by a few seconds. Also HR is a physiological vital sign that is affected by a lot of other factors like sleep, rest, fatigue, illness, etc. than just the exercise. Power on the other hand is and remains power, whenever and wherever.

Hope that helps.

@graja is the pro. I've just been at this for a few months now.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 14:58   #4725
BHPian

Quote:

Hope that helps.

@graja is the pro. I've just been at this for a few months now.

Cheers, Doc
If you see my OP, the plan was to get the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors and the Polar OH1+ HRM through a friend from US who was arriving in April. But since that couldn't happen, I am looking for a placeholder device for the time being which can help with these basic stats, which still are better than nothing. The instantaneous speed readings are which I currently give importance to as I am always doing HIIT on the trainer. I am not an avid cyclist and this is just a way of cardio training which I don't detest.

Most Viewed