Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 18:45   #4816
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It's Adolf for 699 per tyre. The trick is finding them
As you said, these seem very rare, even to check out the details on the internet

While inquiring for tyres, I realized a lot of shops have closed down in the last one or two years who used to deal in imported, branded bicycles. I live in PCMC and there was one Giant shop in Chinchwad, another Pedal Town in Ravet. Both are closed now. I think same is the case with the Giant store near RTO. There was one shop in Aundh who used to sell Scott, another Track N Trail (surendar cycles branch) in Baner, these too are closed now. It is surprising to see so many of them closing down when all the news says a lot of people have taken to cycling since Covid-19. I guess most of the new people are looking for bicycles in 6 to 10k price bracket which these shops did not deal in.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 19:14   #4817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
. I guess most of the new people are looking for bicycles in 6 to 10k price bracket which these shops did not deal in.
That's a problem no one has solved yet. People have realized the adult cycles that were being sold by Hero, Atlas and other local firms were bulky, slow and cumbersome. Decathlon has made the importance of a lightweight aluminum bike around 20k very relevant, but options below 10k were limited.

Mindset and budget for cycles haven't gone up as they have for 2 wheelers and cars.

The most common budget on this thread is 10k or at most 15k. And that too from a limited audience who generally owns cars worth lakhs and should be able to afford cycles at a higher point. That leaves very less choice for good bikes.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th September 2020 at 19:19.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 19:17   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you said, these seem very rare, even to check out the details on the internet
PM'd you a contact. Hope it helps.

Protect the source so that the supply does not dry out for the rest of us.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 19th September 2020 at 19:18.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 14:02   #4819
Senior - BHPian

My entry level btwin mybike. It is a very good bike for just 5k. Saddle and handle grip are bit hard otherwise pretty good quality for the money (comparing other desi brands). Funny part is I spent an extra 7k on accessories including the helmet. My previous ride was Riverside 100.

Accessories: Lock, side stand, mudflaps, pannier rack, bell, USB front and rear lights, pump, and Van rysel helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20200920_113705.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 14:24   #4820
BHPian

Just a feedback about a decathlon bicycle- I bought a Riverside 500 from them in 2018. So far it has run well.

The good thing about decathlon is that they give good service even for discontinued bicycles. One can't say the same about many domestic manufacturers. If you want to buy a bike without a showroom, do talk to the local bike repair shops about spares etc. I had a Hero bicycle earlier but it was ruined by people servicing it because the gear system had frequent issues and they did not have even the gear cable in stock. Service is very important for today's bicycles because they are complex machines. Thanks
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 08:32   #4821
Senior - BHPian

From struggling to keep 30 kmph for 5 min during July this year.....able to crack a humble 30 min TT with avg speed of 34 kmph .
The Bicycles thread-39fa3b2cde8a47178ca0bb74d06c1e2a.jpeg

Definitely I would attribute this to the 2 day per week strength sessions (about 90 min each) apart from regular cycling rides (mix of EZ plus Some intervals thrown in)

Seriously considering an Indoor Trainer because doing intervals outside has too much dependencies on external world !

Last edited by Mi10 : 21st September 2020 at 08:41.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:08   #4822
BHPian

Quote:

It's Adolf for 699 per tyre.
Doc, got the tyre from the contact. Thank you! But I didn't and neither did the person understand what is Adolf tyre, as mentioned by you in your original post. It is actually Vittoria Zaffiro.

Quote:
While inquiring for tyres, I realized a lot of shops have closed down in the last one or two years ... Pedal Town in Ravet.
Pedal town is very much in operation. The Google maps information is inaccurate.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:59   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, got the tyre from the contact. Thank you! But I didn't and neither did the person understand what is Adolf tyre, as mentioned by you in your original post. It is actually Vittoria Zaffiro.

Pedal town is very much in operation. The Google maps information is inaccurate.
Adolf was my very un-smart phone autocorrecting available.

By the time I read it, the time to edit the post had lapsed.

I must declare that I have no latent morbid fascination whatsoever with any historical Adolf's either ...

Glad I could help. Do give us a good report with photos on how it feels and rolls and how good it is at resisting punctures.

Did you replace both or only the rear? What's the rated max PSI on the sidewall? And which size did you pick up between the 23 and 25.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 21st September 2020 at 13:11.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 13:56   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help. Do give is a good report with photos on how it feels and rolls and how good it is in resisting punctures.

Did you replace both or only the rear?

Cheers, Doc
I just replaced the rear as the previous tyre was deformed and developed spots at multiple places. The front one still looks good.

This is my first replacement from the stock Kenda tyres that the bicycle came with. So whatever comments I might post in a few days time would be in comparison to these.
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:08   #4825
BHPian

After training for about 3 months, I managed to complete a ride to Anchetty, Tamil Nadu. At about 200KM, many amateur cyclists from Bangalore would know the difficulty of this ride, especially the climb on the return. My training over the past 3 months included about 25 days of consecutive 50KM plus rides with a few 100Km thrown in-between.

I started at 6:00AM from home, met the others at 7:00 AM. The onward ride was all fun with rolling terrains, after Attibele. The fun quotient scaled upwards after Denkanikottai. Wonderful roads and amazing scenery. Was also told by the locals that elephants roamed near the road the day before. So, we were both excited and nervous. Took us 4.5 hours to reach Anchetty. No elephants sighted, thankfully.

Started the return after 30 minutes and some refreshments. The climb back was "brutal" to say the least. I don't know about seasoned riders, but this was testing my training to its limits. Most of the ride till Denkanikottai was on the lowest gearing for all of us. Exhausted, we pulled over for the much needed lunch at a local hotel. Started the easier uphill towards Bangalore at 3pm. By the time we reached Atibelle, it was raining heavily.

Having tea at Atibelle, with 40 more Km, I was contemplating whether to dial home for help or continue with the journey in the rain. I decided the latter, heck, I was already wet and dirty with mud and slush all over me, so why not!

I reached home at 7.30PM, just as the IPL match was starting.
Covered 196.38KM, and 1754M in elevation

My heart: Yay! Wohooo!
My mind: Don't you dare do this again!

The Bicycles thread-anchetty-map.jpg

The Bicycles thread-anchetty-stats.jpg

The Bicycles thread-anchetty-photo.jpg

Last edited by aneezan : 22nd September 2020 at 10:17.
aneezan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:25   #4826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post

Having tea at Atibelle, with 40 more Km, I was contemplating whether to dial home for help or continue with the journey in the rain. I decided the latter, heck, I was already wet and dirty with mud and slush all over me, so why not!

I reached home at 7.30PM, just as the IPL match was starting.
Covered 196.38KM, and 1754M in elevation

My heart: Yay! Wohooo!
My mind: Don't you dare do this again!
That's one heck of a ride. Awesome!!!
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:48   #4827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I started at 6:00AM from home, met the others at 7:00 AM. The onward ride was all fun with rolling terrains, after Attibele. The fun quotient scaled upwards after Denkanikottai. Wonderful roads and amazing scenery...
Congrats man !!
But I think you need to put more pics of the scenic road.

I have been through that route multiple times ( by car though )

That said I have a query below.

I am a newbie in cycling, recently picked up an MTB.
Post the first 2 days of cycling , my ass was killing me after the ride. The first thing I did was to upgraded the seat to almost a scooter kind of a seat this made things much much better.

As of now just do a morning cycle ride slowly building up the stamina and increasing the distance. For now the max is 14km in a ride.

Would like to know what is a good choice for a hydration drink to carry midway. Any pre-packed off the shelf "mix in water" and carry or do you guys have any simple home mix drinks you carry ?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2020 at 15:19. Reason: Spacing.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:33   #4828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, got the tyre from the contact. t. It is actually Vittoria Zaffiro.

I am planning to upgrade tyres for my Montra Rock 1.0 - it has 26* 2.1 block type MTB tyres, looking to change to something smoother and narrower. Any suggestions?

Where exactly is Pedal town? i am planning to visit Cycle Republik in Ravet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Post the first 2 days of cycling , my ass was ko carry midway. Any pre-packed off the shelf "mix in water" and carry or do you guys have any simple home mix drinks you carry ?
I hope you are using Padded cycling shorts. Also ensure you do post ride stretching exercise.
I use Enerzal hydration drink which comes in sachets (Rs30 each ) which you can add to water.

Last edited by silverado : 22nd September 2020 at 11:37.
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:00   #4829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Where exactly is Pedal town? i am planning to visit Cycle Republik in Ravet.
Address is given below. You can find it on Google Maps too.
Pedal Town Cycles
Secto no 32,Shop No 8,Dhruvsiddhi Apartment,Pradhikaran Walhekarwadi Spine, Road,, Behind Hotel Rajwada,Ravet, Pune, Maharashtra 411035
097664 26222
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eK8JP7FTeCKqRcRS8
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:14   #4830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Post the first 2 days of cycling , my ass was killing me after the ride. The first thing I did was to upgraded the seat to almost a scooter kind of a seat this made things much much better.
For short duration and distances, this seat is fine. When you increase your distance and time on the saddle, that scooter like seat can do you more harm. The reason for the narrow seats is to support the body on the sit bones and provide stability while pedaling. When you sit on a wider seat, the constant pedaling action will result in lack of stability and your hip joints will take the load and may lead to injury in the long run.

My suggestion is to put back the narrow seat and get padded cycling shorts. The pain will be there only for a couple of days till your sit bones get used. After that you will not have any pain.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed