Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:21   #4831
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Covered 196.38KM, and 1754M in elevation
Excellent! Congratulations on the completed ride! Was this one of the Bangalore brevets?
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:34   #4832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For short duration and distances, this seat is fine. When you increase your distance and time on the saddle, that scooter like seat can do you more harm...
Thanks for the input, will consider this.
Btw this is the seat I was talking about. I guess you meant the same.
The Bicycles thread-seat.jpeg
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:35   #4833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Yes. I meant such wide seats.

EDIT: A good analysis in Quora.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-bicycl...small-and-hard

Last edited by graaja : 22nd September 2020 at 12:38.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:06   #4834
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats man !!

That said I have a query below..
Thanks. You will need cycling shorts(padded) as mentioned. For the hydration, i took electrolyte solution, and water. For normal 100Km rides, 2 bottles of water, which i keep refilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Excellent! Congratulations on the completed ride! Was this one of the Bangalore brevets?
Thanks. No. Was just a group ride.
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:52   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you are really overweight with a humungous backside, this type of saddle will cause you massive raw chaffing of the inside of your thighs and groin.

In addition to all the points mentioned by the experienced guys, the fact remains that your backside will pain less as you get more used to the activity and your legs get stronger.

The most important counter-force to your weight pressing down on the saddle is your pedalling action.

As you legs press down, it supports a lot of your body weight, and prevents it from mashing down on the saddle.

The other counter-force of course is your trunk, upper body and core. Which stabilises and supports the relatively non moving upper half of the body.

That is why as you get more tired into a ride, and your pedalling action gets more sluggish, your backside starts paining more and you are forced to raise yourself intermittently off the saddle.

Which gets more difficult the more fatigued your core and trunk and leg muscles get, which in turn causes even more excruciating sit bone pressure pain.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:31   #4836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Unless you are really overweight with a humungous backside, this type of saddle will cause you massive raw chaffing of the inside of your thighs and groin. ...
Cheers, Doc
Thanks for the explanation.

I dont consider myself really overweight with a humungous backside as you put it .

Am 5 7" weighing 74 kgs
Though one of the main criteria of getting a bicycle was to reduce weight.
Old 25th September 2020, 13:19   #4837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Restarted the romance on Saturday with a 24km ride on NH4! Did the same route again on Sunday, and then again on Monday and then once again today.
True to the Garmin tagline #beatyesterday
Saturday: 53:54, Avg 26.8 kmph
Sunday: 52:47, Avg 27.4 kmph
Monday: 48:02, Avg 30.0 kmph
Tuesday: 47:06, Avg 30.7 kmph
Did the same route twice this week.
Tuesday on Hybrid, 49:48 (Avg speed 29kmph)
Today on Roadie, 45:55 (Avg speed 31.5kmph)
A new personal best

Ultra 700 AL is really fast
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20200925114458191-1.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20200925094721854_1.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20200925094709950_1.jpg  

anandpadhye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 16:58   #4838
BHPian

Guys, today I was casually browsing the cycle market and came across this beauty

https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/b...-disc/p/28474/

The bike was absolutely stunning and effortless to drive. To make matters worse, it is available to accomodate my 6'2" inch skinny frame :-) Needless to say, I am in love with it and I would need some advice on Trek FX3 hybrid bike for some casual and spirited riding on daily basis. Also, how does it fares with the competition and is it worth the price? Thanks!

Cheers
Old 27th September 2020, 01:38   #4839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Guys, today I was casually browsing the cycle market and came across this beauty

https://www.trekbikes.com/in/en_IN/b...-disc/p/28474/

The bike was absolutely stunning and effortless to drive. To make matters worse, it is available to accomodate my 6'2" inch skinny frame :-) Needless to say, I am in love with it and I would need some advice on Trek FX3 hybrid bike for some casual and spirited riding on daily basis. Also, how does it fares with the competition and is it worth the price? Thanks!

Cheers
The FX bikes are great and very hard to go wrong with. However, I would consider looking at the full road bike route before deciding to pull the trigger.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 11:55   #4840

Folks, bought myself a riverside 900 from Decathlon this week. Had to wait three weeks for it, but it seems, at least from the initial rides, to be well worth it. However, a questions for the experts please. I am 167 cm tall, and the bike I bought is rated for people 165 cm+ (so I just about make it). When I ride, my arms feel stretched. I adjusted the angle of the handlebars but it still feels that way. It's not uncomfortable, but its there. Is there some adjustment I still need to make? I'm still adjusting the height of the seat to figure out the correct height. Is there a scientific way I can do this or is it just by adjusting till I get a comfortable height? I'm new to all of this stuff, so any help will be most gratefully accepted!

The bike is really very good looking, so here are a couple of photos
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_1710.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_1711.jpg  

Old 27th September 2020, 12:53   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
I am 167 cm tall, and the bike I bought is rated for people 165 cm+ (so I just about make it). When I ride, my arms feel stretched.
Seems you are having reach problems.
Many years back when I was in the market for new bicycle, I tried their entry level rockrider. I felt like I am stretching too much. And there were many opinions confirming the same for other Decathlon bikes. I think thier sizing guide should recommend one size less.

Not sure if you have option of retuning it and going for a smaller size. If not, the only option is to get a smaller stem. But already this bike would have 80 mm stem and I am not sure if smaller sizes are available.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:13   #4842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
I am 167 cm tall, and the bike I bought is rated for people 165 cm+ (so I just about make it). When I ride, my arms feel stretched. I adjusted the angle of the handlebars but it still feels that way. It's not uncomfortable, but its there. Is there some adjustment I still need to make? I'm still adjusting the height of the seat to figure out the correct height. Is there a scientific way I can do this or is it just by adjusting till I get a comfortable height? I'm new to all of this stuff, so any help will be most gratefully accepted!

The bike is really very good looking, so here are a couple of photos
There is a proper method to do it. If you need an expert opinion, I'd rather suggest getting this done at a good cycle shop among professionals than doing it at home. The below video might help in understanding the basics to an extent.

But with regards to doing it home and getting a rudimentary fitment, I generally advice people on three aspects

1. Buy the bike size in line with the suggested height range given by the manufacturers. In your case, 165+ cm fits your height range, so good job on that.

2. A basic check should be the seat should be raised to the level that when you are keeping your feet on the pedal at the lowest point, your legs should have minimal or no bend (about 90-95% straight). If you have done both steps right, the seat should be well above your handle, atleast by a few inches (this image of our bikes should give an indication)

3. Ride the bike for some distance to figure out if there's any discomfort. Atleast do 2-3 rides over flat roads and a bit of elevation (think flyovers) to get an idea. Go back to step 2 if you need to change.

You can also move the saddle/seat ahead/back by a few inches, but I'd suggest doing that much later once you get the height finalized.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 27th September 2020 at 13:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 10:20   #4843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Did the same route twice this week.
Tuesday on Hybrid, 49:48 (Avg speed 29kmph)
Today on Roadie, 45:55 (Avg speed 31.5kmph)
A new personal best

Ultra 700 AL is really fast
Cheers!
Good speeds there. After a point, it will no longer be about how fast, it will be more towards the qualitative aspects of a ride.

It is totally worth to invest in a cadence sensor. (if you haven't already)
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 22:24   #4844
BANNED

Hi all! Any comments on usefulness/ need of this tool -

Amazon

Any alternatives? in case it is relevant, the cycle is a Hercules Storm 26T used by my kids.
Old 28th September 2020, 23:39   #4845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi all! Any comments on usefulness/ need of this tool -

Amazon

Any alternatives? in case it is relevant, the cycle is a Hercules Storm 26T used by my kids.

Hi,
I am having similar product of Decathlon and quality is quite good. As combo I got the tyre removal levers which I haven't use anytime but the multifunction tool is been used extensively for multiple other usage. Amazon tool has 4 sockets which is a miss here but it's your call. Off topic but I have other toolkit as well which has those sockets
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20200928_233037.jpg  

pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks