Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 14:52   #5221
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Hi all,

Any recommendations on a good cycle carrier rack (rear mounted) to carry atleast 3 cycles and can be fitted on Marazzo. I presume the rack will be removable. Checked couple on amazon and they are in range of 6K. Want some inputs from people who have used them.

Thanks
Team-bhp thread on bicycle carriers:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...arriers-8.html (Questions About Roof Racks / Carriers / Bicycle Carriers)

Please check these before you buy. I am not very clear.
It says Rs 5000 fine if you carry more than I bike. If you want to carry more than 1 bike, then RTO permission is needed it seems. Some ridiculous laws:

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/car...u-2968010.html

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/78649072.cms

Last edited by amvj : 15th January 2021 at 14:55. Reason: Added more info
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:31   #5222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads&Wheels View Post
I was also worried about the heart rate part, more after getting a Garmin watch. I constantly saw 140 to 160 as average heart rate during my rides on Strava. Consulted a doctor today and got an ECG done just to be sure. Seems all is fine.

I am 37 years old (5'10"at 74 kgs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

I checked your BMI online and I find it is normal weight for your height. I am on the other hand overweight. I easily clock 180+ heart rate for light intensity pedaling. Which is a bit scary. I am 35 yrs old.
I am 5'9" (175 cms) and now weight 69.xx. My highest HR ever recorded was 192 bpm and i easily hit 180+ twice a week as part of intervals sessions. Higher HR during activity is not a worry, but higher resting HR is a sign of poor cardiac fitness.

BMI may not be an absolute indicator for cardiac fitness, infact it is a measure that probably gives the simplest method to check if one is over weight or not.
In lab/medical terms one can split the body mass into three parts
Skeletal mass
Muscle mass
Fat

in general, for a healthy, fit adult the overall fat composition should be around 20% Now i can still maintain my BMI in good range while having a fat% of 23% - Such cases usually account for higher than normal HR during activity.
Lower your fat% the lesser your heart needs to beat for maintaining the blood flow for all your organs. Elite Marathoners, Pro level aerobic related sports usually have very less % of Fat (like less than 10%) which make them sustain higher speeds / distances at relatively lower heart rate

And please note this is a absolutely crude and laymanish way of explaining HR and body composition - You need to search of specific threads for more professional and clinical way this information is put across.
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:36   #5223
Senior - BHPian

Monitoring your resting HR first thing in the morning is also a great way to know whether you are adequately rested, are unwell, or have recovered sufficiently from an earlier big effort.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 10:14   #5224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Go with the Cannondale Quick. Lovely lightweight quality racy frame.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I prefer Cannondale quick 7 from the list given

If available try out Trek FX2 disc 2021 or Giant Escape 2 disc 2021

Assuming you slowly upgrade your rides to 50+ kms, Please consider 10-15k for good accessories
1. Good cycling helmet
2. Cyclo Computer
3. Spare tube and puncture kit
4. Front and rear Lights
5. Frame/Saddle bags
6. Cycling shorts and Jerseys
7. Frame pump
9. Cycling gloves
Hi,
Efforts to purchase a new cycle as recommended failed as none of the major sellers in chennai can source it within the next 6 months. Tried the preowned route and ended up meeting dubious sellers and few greedy sellers. Went ahead and purchased the Schnell model which costed me 21k.I have promised myself if i achieve my targets to be active 5 days a week i will go ahead and upgrade to better version later this year. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Except for the cyclo computer i got the rest from track and trail. Is it recommended to own one. For the past 7 days i have been using Strava and found its sufficient for my needs.
Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 18:06   #5225
BANNED

I have been doing up to 75k at a stretch (18kmph avg)in my folding bike without issue till date. Some petty issues like rims getting 'accidentally' stomped upon or frequent punctures had forced me to buy a seperate bike for longer rides that start and end at home. But for this, I would have sourced a 70t crank and be done with my folding bike itself for higher average speed.

I am looking to find a bike that can take a 200km ride without requiring first-aid.

I found Montra Trance pro with a 50t crank and 11t freewheel a good choice to maintain higher speeds. I am wondering about it being maintenance-free or facing spare shortage.
Please share your opinion on the bike. I am checking out Triban rc100 too.

My budget can be stretched to 40k.

Has anyone maintained over 1500-2000kms/month for months on a single bike? If so, please share what bike you are riding and how well the parts have held up under that load.

I do want to know the average speed avid cyclists here maintain on longer rides and the number of tooths in the crank and freewheel on their bikes.

Yes, I am thoroughly confused, shed some light.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 17th January 2021 at 18:24.
Old 17th January 2021, 18:57   #5226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Has anyone maintained over 1500-2000kms/month for months on a single bike? If so, please share what bike you are riding and how well the parts have held up under that load.

I do want to know the average speed avid cyclists here maintain on longer rides and the number of tooths in the crank and freewheel on their bikes.

Yes, I am thoroughly confused, shed some light.
I haven't personally done 1500-2000 kms/month, but if you get a good road bike or hybrid bike with good components and maintain it well, except for the wear and tear items like chains, cassettes and tires which will need replacement, you will have a reliable bike. You should look for bikes with Sora or Tiagra groupset (this is for road bikes, not sure about hybrids). But you may have to stretch your budget a little more.

This is just my opinion from my limited knowledge. Experts like Doc should be able to give you better advice.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:12   #5227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is just my opinion from my limited knowledge. Experts like Doc should be able to give you better advice.
I've never done 2000 km in month, and over 1000 only a few times.

But I find no difference in the care needed by my ACT or my CAAD.

A clean and well oiled bike will go further than its rider can ride it.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:59   #5228
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

Looking for recommendations for a beginners hybrid cycle.
I started cycling from this year and currently using a non-geared Raleigh cycle to check if I am up for it. And happy to say that I am on target to complete 300 kms in January.
Hence started looking for better options. Currently there are no hybrids available anywhere till mid-February, but thought I could use this time to gather feedback from this amazing group.

Budget: 30k

Shortlisted bikes (in no particular order):
  • Giant Escape 3
  • Trek FX 1
  • Marin Fairfax 1
  • Firefox Volante
  • Scott Sub Sport 10 (a bit over budget)

Also let me know if there are any other options to consider. Thanks!
Jedi.Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:22   #5229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post

• Giant Escape 3
  • Trek FX 1
  • Marin Fairfax 1
  • Firefox Volante

I had booked Trek FX3 Disc back in Dec and the tentative delivery date is May-2021. This comes after a high recommendation from the Doc. Also, I rode trek FX2 as well when I had visited the showroom (to book the bike) and felt that the premium FX3 demands over Fx2 is totally worth it. Happy hunting!
drive_angry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:35   #5230
BANNED

Quote:
[*]Scott Sub Sport 10 (a bit over budget)
Is this actually available and in stock?

I think Sub Cross 50 and 40 2021 editions are trickling in. (From posts on FB. weigh around 13 kg - but have suspensions. Also look st the flat bar version of Decathlon's Triban RC 100 at ₹ 20k @ 11 kg.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:35   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

• Giant Escape 3
  • Trek FX 1
  • Marin Fairfax 1
  • Firefox Volante

All bikes are good. I have test ridden most of them, but I am owning the Marin Fairfax 1 since May 2018. Had bought it for 30K then. So its been over 2.5 years now & I am very happy with the bike.
  • Pretty light weight (I guess around 11 kilos)
  • Perfect geometry, so long distance riding is quite effortless. I have ridden it 100+ kms in a day & I felt like I can do another 100 on the same day
  • No mechanical problems till date, touchwood. Have done only one servicing a year back
  • Shoe brakes are decent enough, but now you get the disc brake version.
  • I am totally satisfied with this bike and would highly recommend it for you.
Here is my Marin Fairfax SC1
The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180527-9.37.30-pm.jpeg
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:42   #5232
Senior - BHPian

i am thinking of buying a bicycle, mostly for exercise purpose. I weigh around 120+ kg and in the process of weight reduction. I am a total noob and have zero knowledge on bicycles. Any recommendations are welcome.
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:35   #5233
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow BHPians,

Looking for recommendations for a beginners hybrid cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I had booked Trek FX3 Disc back in Dec and the tentative delivery date is May-2021. This comes after a high recommendation from the Doc. Also, I rode trek FX2 as well when I had visited the showroom (to book the bike) and felt that the premium FX3 demands over Fx2 is totally worth it. Happy hunting!
I will suggest you to slightly increase your budget to Fx2 Disc-2021 model (43k) . Already completed 500km+ and am loving it .I upgraded from an 8 year old trek 3700. The problem is about the availability, I have to wait for 5 months to get the bike . For my use case, (daily exercise, long rides with out a timer ) it's worth .
Invest another 15k on good helmet, gel padded shorts, jersey , frame bags , puncture kit, tubes, lights , gloves, frame air pump, degreaser and lubes
greyhound82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:59   #5234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
i am thinking of buying a bicycle, mostly for exercise purpose. I weigh around 120+ kg and in the process of weight reduction. I am a total noob and have zero knowledge on bicycles. Any recommendations are welcome.
Its good that you are inclined to start cycling to bring your weight under control, but if that is the main purpose, then any basic cycle would do, whether geared or gearless. However I would strongly recommend that for your weight control program, you will have to work on multiple fronts and not just rely on cycling.

At the risk of getting a beating from the moderators and some curses from the cycle lovers on this thread I am taking the risk of sharing my personal experience, "Mission - 70 Kilos"

Just some background. In the year (2019) for the first 8 months I was in Germany on a project assignment, staying alone away from my family. This meant I had to cook my own food, no consistent meal timings and lack of exercise due to work pressure and harsh climatic conditions. This took a toll on my health and I put on almost 10 kilos (went from 76kg to 86kg in a span of just 8 months). When I returned back to India, I was shocked and ashamed of myself to see the weighing scale tipping at 86kg. I then made up my mind to get back in shape in the next 10 months (at least by my birthday in June-2020). My target was to reach at least 70 kg by end of June 2020, this is what I call "Mission - 70 Kilos".

Initially I focused on a three pronged strategy
Eat in right quantity
Eat at the right time
Eat only what you can digest, so if you want to eat more be ready to sweat more.

Eating Part:
First thing I did was to stop eating wheat roti, started eating bajra roti/bhakri instead
Stuck to 3 meals a day, breakfast at 9am (fruits, poha, upama etc), lunch at 12pm, salads, vegetable, rice, half bhakri etc & dinner at 7pm, usually soups, daal-khichadi, bhakri etc
It is recommended to stop eating white food, e.g. sugar, maida, rice, salt etc. I did not follow this very strictly & here I have much more scope to improve.

Exercising Part:
Initially I just started with walking 3-4kms & occasional cycling. Then came the Corona & Lockdown in Mid March-2020. My June-2020 target was at risk. Because exercising outdoors was prohibited. But there is always a blessing in disguise. India TV started the daily show, "Corona se jung, Swami Ramdev ke sang" & I was hooked to it. For those 40 minutes of this program I started doing Yogasanas, Pranayam & Suryanamaskars. This helped me maintain a good balance of diet & exercise. In the first 6 months from Sep-2019 to Feb-2020, I could shed 10 kilos & came from 86 to 76. After that the pace really became slow. In the next 4 months, till end of June-2020, I could manage to shed 4 more and reached 72 kilos. I felt short of my target by 2 kilos, but didn't loose hope. After June-July once the lockdown was lifted, I started venturing out for jogging & cycling, but the rains had set in & I couldn't venture out consistently. As the rains subsided and the climate became good, I made it a point to do jogging 5 days a week (5-6kms or 45 mins) and cycling/trekking on weekends with friends. This 45 minutes running followed by 45 mins of Yogasanas/Pranayams while watching Swami Ramdev on India TV became my daily ritual. Then came the Navaratri & I fasted for 9 days. Voila I could cross the 70 kilos barrier and came down to 69 kilos (this makes my BMI perfect at 22, my height is 5'10"). In the festive season of Diwali I was feasting (you heard it right, feasting & not fasting on the Diwali faral), but then also ensuring that I burn those extra calories not just in the morning but throughout the day. I have reduced the dependence on two or four wheeler. I usually walk down or cycle to the grocery shop or any other errands. On any odd day if I am not able to venture out then I climb up & down the stair cases in my house, this is also a very good cardio exercise. Any kind of physical movement is good for your body.

Now my greatest challenge is to maintain this weight & physique for the coming months & years. At least for the last 3 months (Nov to Jan), my weight is constant at 68 kilos. Don't intend to reduce it any further. However there is still a lot of scope to reduce belly fat. I am hopeful on my daily leg raises and crunches. Currently doing only 10 a day, but planning to slowly increase to 25 a day.

Lesson learnt for me is that if you can bring in some discipline in your diet & exercise you can do wonders to your body and your body will payback to you by staying fit & healthy. Proof of the pudding below.
Name:  Mission 70 Kilos.PNG
Views: 733
Size:  724.0 KB
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:48   #5235
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
i am thinking of buying a bicycle, mostly for exercise purpose. I weigh around 120+ kg
Most models and brands put an upper limit of 120kg of load - rider, water, bags, etc.

Apologies if I sound rude, but I dont know you personally, hence --- how fit are you? I suggest you install "Google Fit" on your smart phone and reach the default target (the app will set it for you, but you can change it) "heart points" activity a day first. (I'm in 3 digits weight, and struggling not to go higher). If you are fit, and / or once you are able to reach 120% of the "heart points" activity on Google, then go for a cycle. Walking, running, and stair climbing are possible without additional equipment, just keep the phone with you while doing the activity.

Go for a cycle once you are more close to 120 kg. Or at least once you are able to maintain half hour real brisk physical activity, and do it on a regular basis for 15days at least.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 22nd January 2021 at 17:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks