Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 21:52   #5326
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Buy a new bike. Any stock hybrid, even the cheaper Downtown or the slightly more expensive Helicon or Rapide or Trance Pro will be faster stock.
Yes sir wanted to buy a new bike , Fixated on Trek DS3 as of now. Its sold out not only in Pune but also in Mumbai with no light at end of tunnel soon! May June are tentative dates.

So will go the upgrade route as of now, since buying bikes mentioned by you doesnt give a feeling of big upgrade

@backseatdriver : Shifters will also need an upgrade.

Last edited by silverado : 11th February 2021 at 21:55.
Old 11th February 2021, 23:14   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Yes sir wanted to buy a new bike , Fixated on Trek DS3 as of now. Its sold out not only in Pune but also in Mumbai with no light at end of tunnel soon! May June are tentative dates.

So will go the upgrade route as of now, since buying bikes mentioned by you doesnt give a feeling of big upgrade

@backseatdriver : Shifters will also need an upgrade.
Upgrades are nice. But the Madrock is a very heavy frame. I was once looking for a cheap use and throw MTB which I could buy and use for a Leh ride and then leave/sell it there instead of spending nearly as much to get it back. The Madrock because of its low price was shortlisted. But when I checked it out in the flesh I realised why in spite of the same components some bikes are much cheaper than the other.

Drivetrain upgrades are the least bang for buck upgrade among others for going faster. Tyres are the best. Next would be chucking the suspension fork and fitting a nice rigid steel fork. Won't cost much either. These two mods, drop your handlebar a bit to get more aero, get a sportier saddle, it will change the entire bike feel. A lot more than what you're planning.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 23:52   #5328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Between Bergamont Helix 1.5 and Marin Fairfax 1, what would be better for City roads?
The Marin option, any day!

Also the same site has this review (link) which talks very good about this bike. No idea how worthy is that review, but they do say this is a better option than the Jamis Coda Sport (generally considered a good all-rounder hybrid), then this should be pretty decent.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 07:48   #5329
BANNED

I initially thought it was a case of trademark violation. But BMW does have a bike line up!!! The pedalling ones. Not the vroom vroom fossil guzzlers.

Ninjatalli. I ended up getting a Szel Kogin E. It is a local brand. They have the Grafit, and kogin, which are 3 x 7 gears. Tge Kogin E is 3 x 8. Grafit is steel frame Kogin is 6061. I purchased a luggage scale from amazon go weigh this up, but it arrived damaged. Have to replace it.

The cycle is for my son. The helix, is having a "handle position lower the seat" says he. We saw one in size L at the dealer's.
Old 12th February 2021, 10:24   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
How about Triban RC100? It is available for online order I think. It is really light, but gears are not great. You will look pro with those drop bars.

I wish I bought a drop bar road bike instead of a hybrid.

Attachment 2120350
Triban RC100 with flat bar has been my choice #1 for months but its not available. The drop bar version is available, so I can probably fit a flat bar on it since everything else is same. Is there a exchange/buy/sell forum for bicycle parts?
Old 12th February 2021, 10:39   #5331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Triban RC100 with flat bar has been my choice #1 for months but its not available. The drop bar version is available, so I can probably fit a flat bar on it since everything else is same. Is there a exchange/buy/sell forum for bicycle parts?
Well its not as simple as it seems. You will also have to change the shifters and brake levers which is a costly affair.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:58   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Well its not as simple as it seems. You will also have to change the shifters and brake levers which is a costly affair.
A 7 speed Shimano hybrid shifter costs under a thousand bucks. 800 odd. A flat bar maybe 700-800. Grips 500. Brake levers another 500. So about 2500. A little more in reverse. The challenge is in getting the parts currently. Easiest would be to find a flatbar RC 100 guy who wants to convert his bike to a roadie (very common). And do a swap.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:00   #5333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
A 7 speed Shimano hybrid shifter costs under a thousand bucks. 800 odd. A flat bar maybe 700-800. Grips 500. Brake levers another 500. So about 2500. A little more in reverse. The challenge is in getting the parts currently. Easiest would be to find a flatbar RC 100 guy who wants to convert his bike to a roadie (very common). And do a swap. You'd need to swap the stems too. As far as I know, they are of different diameters.

Cheers, Doc
Old 12th February 2021, 12:10   #5334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Easiest would be to find a flatbar RC 100 guy who wants to convert his bike to a roadie (very common). And do a swap. You'd need to swap the stems too. As far as I know, they are of different diameters.

Cheers, Doc
I imagined the same and was wondering if there is any B/S/E forum outside of Facebook. Considering the bike seems quite popular swaps might be easy.
Old 12th February 2021, 12:26   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I imagined the same and was wondering if there is any B/S/E forum outside of Facebook. Considering the bike seems quite popular swaps might be easy.
I'm not on Facebook but all cities have bike clubs with WhatsApp groups. That's one source of riders locally, so pretty easy to meet up and work out the modalities.

On an all India level there is Cyclop. There are others too. No idea of the membership or activity levels.

The obvious question I have is, what's stopping you from riding the road bike?

Cheers, Doc
Old 12th February 2021, 12:40   #5336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The obvious question I have is, what's stopping you from riding the road bike?
The committed sitting position of road bike with curved handle didn't go well with me in a short test drive I took on a friend's bike (Triban RC 100 only) On the other hand a Hero Traveller even with heavy weight frame felt comfortable with its laid back flat handle situation. Any tips for being comfortable on road bike?
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:50   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The committed sitting position of road bike with curved handle didn't go well with me in a short test drive I took on a friend's bike (Triban RC 100 only) On the other hand a Hero Traveller even with heavy weight frame felt comfortable with its laid back flat handle situation. Any tips for being comfortable on road bike?
It all depends on if the road bike was set up for you and was your size in the first place. The easiest way to get comfortable on a road bike is set it up properly, then ride more (at least a thousand kilometers) and work on your core (which happens automatically in those thousand kilometers). A road bike handlebar is a lot more anatomic than a flat bar. And offers many more different grips which allows you to shift positions and relax muscles one after another on a longer ride. A flat bar in comparison only basically locks you into one of two grips. Even those are essentially the same. Maybe 3 if you add barends. Once you get used to a road bike it's very odd and difficult hopping back on to your flat bar hybrid. As it is I have my hybrid set up aggressive. Stretched and low. Also thanks to the fact that the frame is small for me. So when I'm on the top of the handlebar of my road bike it's not very different from my hybrid. Slightly lower and more stretched out, but nothing radical.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th February 2021 at 12:53.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:19   #5338
BHPian

Hey everyone,

Today I had snapped a shifter cable and whist replacing it, the mechanic pointed out that I have a tear in the rear sidewall of the tyre, and hence it needs to be replaced. Which is why I thought I'd use this opportunity to make it better to ride around the city, a.k.a downsize it's width. The rim is a 29er and AFAIK, a 700c tyre should fit as long as it isn't too narrow. I wanted to know how narrow I could go without changing the tube. The current tyres are these. Also, how feasible of a DIY would it be to change the tyres? Any good options/places to get tyres online?(That aren't out of stock)
Old 13th February 2021, 05:43   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
It all depends on if the road bike was set up for you and was your size in the first place. The easiest way to get comfortable on a road bike is set it up properly, then ride more (at least a thousand kilometers) and work on your core (which happens automatically in those thousand kilometers). ...
Cheers, Doc
I too have been on the fence between the RC Triban 100 flatbar and roadie. The thing is, it's not possible for me to get a test drive of the roadie. So I am unsure about the size to choose. I am 5' 10" in height. I am wondering if I should go for Size M or Size L.
Another thing I am confused about is the tyres on the flatbar versus the roadie. The specs on the decathlon website say that the flatbar has 25mm wide tyres while the roadie's tyres are 32mm wide. Shouldn't the hybrid flatbar have the wider tyres?
PS: Haven't ridden a roadie before. Returning to riding after several years.

Last edited by cogWheel : 13th February 2021 at 05:55.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:53   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
I too have been on the fence between the RC Triban 100 flatbar and roadie. The thing is, it's not possible for me to get a test drive of the roadie. So I am unsure about the size to choose. I am 5' 10" in height. I am wondering if I should go for Size M or Size L.
Another thing I am confused about is the tyres on the flatbar versus the roadie. The specs on the decathlon website say that the flatbar has 25mm wide tyres while the roadie's tyres are 32mm wide. Shouldn't the hybrid flatbar have the wider tyres?
PS: Haven't ridden a roadie before. Returning to riding after several years.
You need an M.

The Bicycles thread-img20210126wa0016.jpg

The dropbar is designed as a simple do it all gravel bike. The older iteration was shod with gravel tyres. Now they are road slicks.

The flatbar is designed as a flatbar road bike. Which is different to what most junta understands generically as just a wide envope term hybrid.

Either way, tyres are a consumable. Once you are done with the first set you can happily put on 25s or even 28s. Or see if the frame and calipers will accomodate a 35 as well.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th February 2021 at 09:54.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks