Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 17:19   #5536
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
My wife wants a bicycle to ride around our neighborhood regularly. She checked with Decathlon but most models are out of stock. We don't know any other brands / models to look for. Please offer suggestions on what options are available for around 10K budget, can extend upto 15K if it's worth going for.
Most of Decathlon bikes can be ordered online and collected the same day.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8603864/m...-white-26-inch
Old 12th April 2021, 19:18   #5537
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone!

The bicycle bug has finally bit me. Fed up of going for runs in the neighborhood since there is no variety/change in the settings. Was thinking of getting a gym membership but didn't want to workout indoors considering it was WFH for the past 1 year.

Was planning to get the most basic Decathlon cycle https://www.decathlon.in/p/8304742/h...e-hybrid-cycle but after going through a few articles, I'm completely confused.

TBH, all I'm looking forward to do is to get some workout everyday by cycling for 1-1.5 hours max inside the city with ruts and potholes in a typical Indian setting. I understand that City/ Hybrid type is the idea one for me.

Initially the budget was 5k but after reading through everything, is going for a Firefox really worth the price? https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...x-tempest-2012

Other good suggestions below 13k are welcome.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:02   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Initially the budget was 5k but after reading through everything, is going for a Firefox really worth the price? https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/b...x-tempest-2012

Other good suggestions below 13k are welcome.
Avoid any bike with that cheap ZOOM suspension fork, instead go with some hybrid variant without suspension in that price range. That pathetic suspension adds unnecessary weight to the bike instead of adding comfort.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:33   #5539
BHPian

Guys need some help.
Just got myself a pre loved Frog Leopard 29. The bike was in mint condition and i think now its named ninety one.

The bike was almost 50kms away from home and i had to get it in my car, unfortunately to fit it i had to remove the front wheel and un do the head stem.

Post that once home i refit the head but even post tightening i find some play.
I want to know where i can buy spares online for these bikes and replace the bearings while i open the head once again.Even looking for new brake pads to keep in stock.

I would like to do the maintenance myself . Also is it fine to use motorcycle chain lube for the chain?
Any other pointers?
Regards
Manoj.
Old 14th April 2021, 11:13   #5540
BHPian

For folks in Mumbai - Request your help in understanding the new lockdown rules.

Are we allowed to use the bicycle for exercise? Can I used it between 7 AM and 8 PM on week days ?

Please enlighten as I am lost with the list published on the Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks!
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 12:38   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
For folks in Mumbai - Request your help in understanding the new lockdown rules.
This is what I interpreted (I could be wrong, so please use your own discretion) - You can go out (on cycle, bike, car etc.) only if it's related to items in the "allowed" list like getting grocery, milk, veggies, medicines, doc's appointment, vaccination etc. If it's only for a joyride or exercise, then no.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:58   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
My wife wants a bicycle to ride around our neighborhood regularly. She checked with Decathlon but most models are out of stock. We don't know any other brands / models to look for. Please offer suggestions on what options are available for around 10K budget, can extend upto 15K if it's worth going for.
We just bought a Firefox Voya for our 11 year old daughter at 13k from Amazon. Simple smart looking bike, without gears. Do check it out if you find it useful.
Old 14th April 2021, 17:34   #5543
BHPian

Hey Guys, I need some guidance here. I am planning to start cycling for exercising. Plan to cycle for 45-60 minutes everyday. I was thinking of going for Rockrider ST-50 or ST-100. Is it worth the investment or should I look at any other brands?

What all should I look for when I am going to buy a cycle?
Old 14th April 2021, 20:23   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simha13 View Post
I was thinking of going for Rockrider ST-50 or ST-100. Is it worth the investment or should I look at any other brands?

What all should I look for when I am going to buy a cycle?
From your choices I understand you are looking for a bike in the 15k INR range. A MTB or a mountain bike has bigger tyres and the frame is designed to ride on uneven terrain, up/downhill.

If fitness is your primary purpose and you live in a place with paved roads, then you should choose a road bike (thinner tyres) or even a hybrid (medium), but not an MTB. MTBs are made for a different purpose and it is very inefficient to ride them for an hour on paved roads. Of course you will get a good workout if you drive MTBs on paved roads, as it just takes energy away better than a road bike for the same distance.

You should look for/do the following if you are a beginner:
1. Decide on type of bike
2. Frame size that should suit your height and inseam
3. Drivetrain with atleast 12 gears
4. Decent braking power
5. A good saddle/seat
6. A Test drive with the bike of your choice for atleast 20 minutes to get a feel for the bike.

You should checkout this thread
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:31   #5545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simha13 View Post
I was thinking of going for Rockrider ST-50 or ST-100
Few models from Decathlon have rotary gear shifters. You change gears by rotating the handlebar grip. STAY AWAY from such models. Thumb shifters are lot better.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:54   #5546
Team-BHP Support

Bought a new bike for my daughter – mainly for school run and to go around the neighbourhood. Moving from a Decathlon Elops she wanted an SUV-like bike and something which is not very girly. So after checking around a bit and test riding a few, bought a Giant Talon 4. The other options considered were Trek Verve 2 and Giant Liv Flourish 4.

The Bicycles thread-gaint-talon-4-1.jpg

She is super happy with the bike but then wanted company to go around – so I ended up buying another bike for me; a slightly softer Scott Sub Cross 50. I looked at Trek FX2 as an option but considering the terrain/trails nearby where I live, decided on the Scott. Now may end up getting another one for wife as well

The Bicycles thread-scott-sub-cross-50-1.png

The Bicycles thread-scott-giant-1.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th April 2021 at 14:09.
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:10   #5547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Bought a new bike for my daughter
Talking about daughter riding along, I got a child seat and a windscreen for my bike few days ago. She is my co-pilot. Not old enough to walk yet At 11 months old, she enjoys being the co-pilot and me too.

The Bicycles thread-img_4687-1.jpg
carthick1000 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:19   #5548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Talking about daughter riding along, I got a child seat and a windscreen for my bike few days ago. She is my co-pilot. Not old enough to walk yet At 11 months old, she enjoys being the co-pilot and me too.
Oh that’s wonderful – getting them to love the outdoors, and earlier the better!

My girl is 12 (a teen in a month’s time) and almost as tall as me

The Bicycles thread-bike-sunset.png
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 13:25   #5549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
From your choices I understand you are looking for a bike in the 15k INR range. A MTB or a mountain bike has bigger tyres and the frame is designed to ride on uneven terrain, up/downhill.

If fitness is your primary purpose and you live in a place with paved roads, then you should choose a road bike (thinner tyres) or even a hybrid (medium), but not an MTB. MTBs are made for a different purpose and it is very inefficient to ride them for an hour on paved roads. Of course you will get a good workout if you drive MTBs on paved roads, as it just takes energy away better than a road bike for the same distance.
Yes I am looking at a bike for around 15k range. I did speak to many of my peers who are into cycling, they all advised me against road/hybrid bikes and asked to go with MTBs as a beginner and slowly crawl my way upwards.
I am bit confused on which brand to go to as a beginner within budget. I did try some Indian brands like Ninetyone or Schnell but still feel ST-100 will be better in long run.
Old 16th April 2021, 15:08   #5550
BHPian

Was another one of those lazy fellows who took up cycling last year in the lockdown. Somehow got seriously addicted to it and have raked up some kilometers over the past 9 to 10 months and in the process managed to lose some weight.

- Started off with a Btwin 7S, which I got 5 years back. Had done probably less than 1000KM till July 2020.
- Upgraded to a Triban RC120 in July 2020 when I had the confidence that I was being consistent.
- Like many, fell into the "over enthusiastic cyclist" bucket and ended up hurting my back towards the end of August. Spent 20 days in bed.
- After recovery went for consistency rather than speed. Speed automatically improved over the months. Max has been 30KPH for a 50KM ride.
- Completed 2 200KM BRMs in 2021. Aiming for more later this year.
- As of March 31st, have completed 10,000KM, of which 9K has been from July 2020.

It has almost come to a point that if I miss my daily ride, feel a sense of being less than complete.
The Bicycles thread-cycling-stats.jpg

Last edited by aneezan : 16th April 2021 at 15:10.
aneezan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed