Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 00:26   #5581
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
Hi guys, any good recommendations for a cycle? Primary use is within city limits.
Bicycles you get in various price classes. As a beginner, I would suggest to look for a hybrid bike with enough gears (10-14) to ride in comfort. If you are a beginner who wants to commute within city, look for less expensive brands offered by stores like track and trail, decathlon, choose my bicycles etc. Once you feel comfortable commuting on bicycle, then later upgrade if needed.

Height and inseam lengths are the most important for getting the right fit for a bicycle. Some manufacturers specify sizes as S,M,L etc. and some others in cms (of seat tube length). Best is to try test riding it at a shop one size more and one less to get a good feel of what suits you.

Success with your search. And post a pic or review here, when you get one. And welcome to team-bhp!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 3rd May 2021 at 00:29. Reason: Typo corrected
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:59   #5582
snr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Bicycles you get in various price classes. As a beginner, I would suggest to look for a hybrid bike with enough gears (10-14) to ride in comfort. If you are a beginner who wants to commute within city, look for less expensive brands offered by stores like track and trail, decathlon, choose my bicycles etc. Once you feel comfortable commuting on bicycle, then later upgrade if needed.

Height and inseam lengths are the most important for getting the right fit for a bicycle. Some manufacturers specify sizes as S,M,L etc. and some others in cms (of seat tube length). Best is to try test riding it at a shop one size more and one less to get a good feel of what suits you.

Success with your search. And post a pic or review here, when you get one. And welcome to team-bhp!
Thank you for correct advice. Post lockdown will check what suits me the best. Thank you, good to be here and be able to post queries!
snr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:27   #5583
BHPian

I am looking to buy a trainer and have finalized on the Btwin Inride 100, as I was looking up videos I realised that all of them had quick release rear axles, whilst I have a solid axle. As converting from a solid axle to a QR axle would be tedious, I asked Decathlon Customer support about it and they replied that My bicycle would fit on it even without the QR axle. I wanted to know if someone has tried this or has known that it works. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th May 2021, 21:34   #5584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
I am looking to buy a trainer and have finalized on the Btwin Inride 100, as I was looking up videos I realised that all of them had quick release rear axles, whilst I have a solid axle. As converting from a solid axle to a QR axle would be tedious, I asked Decathlon Customer support about it and they replied that My bicycle would fit on it even without the QR axle. I wanted to know if someone has tried this or has known that it works. Thanks in advance!
I've tried it.

Yes it works. Perfectly.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210122_200709.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 21:44   #5585
BHPian

Drafting, descending, moto pacing, cornering - all on the classic roadster while carrying huge payloads.

"SALUT .. THIS IS THE COURAGE AND SKILLS Citizens of Burundi - Africa Cycling"
itisravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 14:07   #5586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Avoid any bike with that cheap ZOOM suspension fork, instead go with some hybrid variant without suspension in that price range. That pathetic suspension adds unnecessary weight to the bike instead of adding comfort.
Thanks mate! Got myself a no-nonsense bicycle with simple mechanics- Firefox Bad Attitude 8 with MicroShift derailleurs and simple V-brakes. So far so good!

Have been advised by the shopkeeper to 'service' the cycle after a month which is free. He said he'll disassemble and re-assemble the cycle. Is this even required? Or should I go to a Firefox shop and do the free service there?

Basically, apart from lubing the chain, is there anything else that I should be looking at?
Old 8th May 2021, 16:49   #5587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Drafting, descending, moto pacing, cornering - all on the classic roadster while carrying huge payloads.

"SALUT .. THIS IS THE COURAGE AND SKILLS Citizens of Burundi - Africa Cycling"
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pYOYLnEC5II
Very amazing and hilarious. Life is not that easy for these folks but still they are enjoying every bit of it.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 18:17   #5588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Thanks mate! Got myself a no-nonsense bicycle with simple mechanics- Firefox Bad Attitude 8 with MicroShift derailleurs and simple V-brakes. So far so good!
Congratulations.

Quote:
Have been advised by the shopkeeper to 'service' the cycle after a month which is free. He said he'll disassemble and re-assemble the cycle. Is this even required? Or should I go to a Firefox shop and do the free service there?

Basically, apart from lubing the chain, is there anything else that I should be looking at?
Well, its been age old practice to check the nut-bolts, bearings and wires of a new bicycle after using it for a month or so since they loosen up a bit during initial usage period. But most of the modern components in bicycles have come long way forward these days like the bearings are sealed and they are kind of maintenance free so no need to be worry about them. But still rest of the joints may need some attention and adjustment so its better to get it checked after riding the bike for couple of hundred kms.

Later you regularly keep lubing the chain, once or twice in a week is good enough according to usage (lube after 100 kms is thumb rule), don't miss it. Use conventional chain oil and avoid those expensive fancy lubes from international brands, my experience had been bad with them.

Also learn to adjust the wires, especially the gear wire adjustment, that will require regulars adjustment.

Punctures will become part of your life so learn how to repair the punctures, keep spare tube and puncture repair kit handy during rides along with a portable air pump.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th May 2021 at 18:20.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 00:16   #5589
BHPian

Hello my fellow cyclist friends. I’m looking to purchase entry/mid level Road Bike for myself. I’m 29 years old and my height is 5’8”. After reading almost half of this thread I’m very much impressed by the suggestions you guys have given to each and every fellow members. Hats off.

In this pandemic situation finding a road bike is equivalent to finding Remdesivir Injection. I’ve tried almost every local shops in my area but couldn’t find many roadies, the choices are very few. After so much fiddling around, managed to get below road bikes option :

1) Lapierre Audacio 300 CP 2019

The Bicycles thread-0bdf5b3ec7ad4a0097c04e0d5906bef6.jpeg

This bike is available in local cycle shop and had been sitting at the shop from long time. Going to check condition first to see if everything is perfect.

Groupset - Tiagra 4700
Size - M
MRP - 89,000/-
Selling Price - 70,000/-
My Offer - under 60,000/-

P.S - I’m still sceptical about this bike as the bike is sitting there from long. What do you guys suggest ? Is it ok to buy such bike? Is my offer good enough?

2) Polygon Strattos S2 2021

The Bicycles thread-19ba93b1d8dc44ef82c7a64937efc18e.jpeg
The Bicycles thread-471c2af90a324c7a9a7b3de1b813255d.jpeg
The Bicycles thread-7aa79fa4a6a84a11a582154447a71b75.jpeg

The bike is available at a friend’s shop. Just arrived 3 days ago. Pretty fresh being 2021 model.

Groupset - Claris R2000
Size - M
MRP - 56,490/-
Selling Price - 50,000/-

3) Polygon Strattos S3 2021

The Bicycles thread-8e6549fe0afb47619b2674611b4f4680.jpeg
The Bicycles thread-db83726995d84ecda18304babfd9cff7.jpeg
The Bicycles thread-6058c2ce332246ebbc13a4dea3d73217.jpeg

S2 and S3 both available at same place and arrived recently. This is better model compared to S2. But I haven’t heard much about Polygon as a brand so I’m confused. I’m going to try all 3 bikes tomorrow to see how it suits me.

Groupset - Sora R3000
Size - M
MRP - 67,990/-
Selling Price - 60,000/-

4) Giant Contend 1 2021

The Bicycles thread-c7dcba76ad4d404f8589c63aedb0b8df.jpeg

This bike is available in Mumbai (i.e 200 km away from my place valsad, gujarat). I found this bike on some fb group. They guy was prompt to reply. The only problem is they don’t ship outside Maharashtra and no discounts either.

Groupset - Sora
Size - S
MRP - 73,999/-
Selling Price - 73,999/- no discount.

Apart from above no other bikes I could find. Rest are either out of budget or different size or out of stock. I’m very confused as choices are very few and they’re not even taking orders for future. They are saying stocks are coming but sizes are unknown to them i.e what sizes company will ship them etc.

I personally feel that Lapierre is a better brand compared to Polygon and more Value For Money if taken at right price. But I want expert opinion from you guys. What to choose and why. And if the given rates are ok.

Last edited by maddyguage : 15th May 2021 at 00:20.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 07:22   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Hello my fellow cyclist friends. I’m looking to purchase entry/mid level Road Bike for myself. I’m 29 years old and my height is 5’8”. After reading almost half of this thread I’m very much impressed by the suggestions you guys have given to each and every fellow members. Hats off.

I personally feel that Lapierre is a better brand compared to Polygon and more Value For Money if taken at right price. But I want expert opinion from you guys. What to choose and why. And if the given rates are ok.

Lapierre is good. Definitely a better brand than Polygon. If you are able to close a Lapierre and a Tiagra groupset at that price - consider it very strongly. Wonder how it didn't find a buyer for so long. In December 2020, A Sensium with Sora was sold in front of me for 84k, so 70K seems good and its a good looking one.

I was offered the Polygon Strattos S3 in March. I didn't think much of it. A guy in my group picked it up and we compared head to head with a Scott Speedster 30, was heavier and not as impressive, considering the Scott was purchased for a similar amount.

I am patiently waiting for a bike in the same range since a while. You can check out the Triban RC500 too, I believe it should be coming back in stock soon - you can write and check with Decathlon. Giant Contend 1 should be good. Was offered one for MRP price - same as you in blue colour with a 25% advance and 1-month delivery. I now regret not snapping it up.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 09:02   #5591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post

3) Polygon Strattos S3 2021

S2 and S3 both available at same place and arrived recently. This is better model compared to S2. But I haven’t heard much about Polygon as a brand so I’m confused. I’m going to try all 3 bikes tomorrow to see how it suits me.

Groupset - Sora R3000
Size - M
MRP - 67,990/-
Selling Price - 60,000/-

Polygon road bikes are usually appreciated for their geometry. Not very common, but I do know serious riders who ride these and the bikes are built well.

Both bikes are fresh 2021 pieces. Both look very hot with great paint jobs. And a Sora in that price is a no brainer. Even BTwin no longer sells Sora that cheap.

And concealed cabling for Claris abd Sora at this price point is really a USP.

The Lapierre frame looks really weird. I'm nor a great fan of those curved tubings.

The Contend too is an ok bike. But the logistics at this time will not be easy. Plus the risk you would be taking going into Bombay now.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th May 2021 at 09:23.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:34   #5592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I am patiently waiting for a bike in the same range since a while. You can check out the Triban RC500 too, I believe it should be coming back in stock soon - you can write and check with Decathlon. Giant Contend 1 should be good. Was offered one for MRP price - same as you in blue colour with a 25% advance and 1-month delivery. I now regret not snapping it up.
Been waiting for the RC500 to come back in stock since mid November now. All the other Tribans were in stock at one point or another, but the 500 hasn't been.
The stores gave the same usual soon in stock answer and their online support keeps giving out timelines two months from the point of time you enquire. So have decided that if the RC120 becomes available again, will pick that up.
Old 15th May 2021, 19:49   #5593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Been waiting for the RC500 to come back in stock since mid November now. All the other Tribans were in stock at one point or another, but the 500 hasn't been.
The stores gave the same usual soon in stock answer and their online support keeps giving out timelines two months from the point of time you enquire. So have decided that if the RC120 becomes available again, will pick that up.
Seems like you don't have to wait that long for RC120. A little birdie in the decathlon management has told me that RC120 limited stock will be available from tomorrow onwards so you can try your luck. I will also check on the app and will post here when it becomes available. Thanks!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 22:13   #5594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Seems like you don't have to wait that long for RC120. A little birdie in the decathlon management has told me that RC120 limited stock will be available from tomorrow onwards so you can try your luck. I will also check on the app and will post here when it becomes available. Thanks!

Bless you and your contact !!!!!! Thanks a ton.
Its become pretty much a habit to check their website every couple of hours. Hope so the stock comes up tomorrow

Btw any chance you can check with your contact about the possibility of the RC500 coming in stock ?
Old 16th May 2021, 07:03   #5595
Senior - BHPian

In the Cyclops FB group one person is collecting names for bulk purchase. (and he isnt from Decathlon). He says stocks will be available this week. Price is 40K. I'd paid 35K a year back.
Meanwhile, hearing good reviews for Cubelite II, on that group - purchased it paying close to 5K. This is one of the best out there. I'm also looking out for a strong and compact front light with a dome (Old school, with new electronics in it), and not the straight pencil types! (Which is commonly available). Any leads, guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_0976.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 16th May 2021 at 07:15.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed