Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 14:19   #5671
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Will reply here but it applies to a lot of other "which one" type inquiries, as well:
Champ! I didn’t diss any other brands. I know really little of this specific segment so I just listed some brands that “I” know are relatively easily available in most cities off the top of my head. They are not the only brands out there. If I didn’t put any other names down its probably because I’m not readily familiar with the options and names.

Agree there is very little to distinguish between most brands in that segment with many frames actually build in Taiwan or wherever for many of them. Even in the much higher segments, I rarely check performance reviews of bikes but focus more on which geometry / size would fit me best. Beyond that my own performance on the bike is far too modest for me to warrant research on the performance of the bike as such.

I think he should focus on the right fitting bike (that’s the most important aspect) when he shortlists and beyond that within his budget whatever components are nicer on paper (because all other things being equal and budget not being increased, why not have nicer components).
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:26   #5672
Senior - BHPian

The Merida Speeder is very light. Excellent value for money compared to the 3 above it.

And the only one which like the Specialized Sirrus comes with a road bike 2x full road series drivetrain (Claris, Ultegra, etc).

It's essentially a road bike with a flat bar.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th June 2021 at 14:48. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted, updating related response. Thank you!
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:29   #5673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Requesting for some expert opinions.

Is it ok for the Trek FX 2 to do gravel trail (they say fine gravel, but it’s a bit bone-jarring – picture below), or will it completely destroy the tyres?
Another trek FX2 2021 user here . I was using it extensively over gravel paths (aprrox 1km ) on my morning rides till got a severe covid attack and had to stop cycling for almost 2 months . It is bone jarring but didn’t create any issues for tyres or rims
Just started cycling again from last week onwards . Usually I maintain the tyre pressure at 80psi

Fitting new SKS Valeo Urban fenders for monsoon riding

The Bicycles thread-22ed28c9b1974d10a8d40625b9375e59.jpeg

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th June 2021 at 14:35.
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:45   #5674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Another trek FX2 2021 user here . I was using it extensively over gravel paths (aprrox 1km ) on my morning rides till got a severe covid attack and had to stop cycling for almost 2 months. It is bone jarring but didn’t create any issues for tyres or rims
Just started cycling again from last week onwards . Usually I maintain the tyre pressure at 80psi
That’s quite reassuring; thank you for the quick response.

Maybe because I got used to the Scott Sub Cross’ more cushioning ride. Otherwise, the FX is pretty good, so far did around 110 kms. The weight difference can be really felt.

The Bicycles thread-4e88c6f72c3846d6b125311ea632b954.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:19   #5675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
To put my money where my mouth is - latest purchase here:
Attachment 2167283

Raleigh Conan 29er: hydraulic brakes, hydraulic lockout Suntour XCT fork, Tubeless Bontrager rear rim, Maxxis rubber, etc - I think around 14.5kg which I believe is about a kg heavier than a customer's 1.2L Trek carbon-fiber 29er I rode recently.

-Eric
Beautiful bike Eric. As always, you sure know how to pick them. A good rear wheel does wonders for big guys.

Loved the post too. Supreme nuggets of gold. I do admit to my brand biases. Owning a bike is not only about the nuts and bolts.

There is a huge emotional component to it too.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th June 2021 at 15:21.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:28   #5676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Cannondale Quick.

Specialized Sirrus.

Trek FX.

Merida Speeder.

Scott Subcross / Marin Fairfax.

In that order.

Cheers, Doc
I wonder what each of these cost. Does anyone have ballpark numbers? I know the fair fax is 35k and bang on my budget. I just couldn’t find any details online.
Old 14th June 2021, 15:34   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I wonder what each of these cost. Does anyone have ballpark numbers? I know the fair fax is 35k and bang on my budget. I just couldn’t find any details online.
You might need to add 10 odd thousand to your budget.

Everything has gone hugely north these past 2 years. All over the world. Not just in India.

These are all good hybrids. Can't go wrong with any of them.

And components, alloy or carbon fork, wheels, hubs, tyres, and the drive train, make a huge difference in cost.

So for each there is a range that's easily 30k wide from the cheapest most basic to the all bells and whistles top end.

You don't need a carbon fork, but it does make a huge difference to the ride.

Cheers, Doc
Old 14th June 2021, 15:42   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trek FX starts at 31k (FX1, 2021 model) and then goes up exponentially. I admit, FX1 despite being one of cheapest Treks, was the best among similarly priced hybrid bikes. May be it lacks "bling" but I loved it. Extreme shortage of these though.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:53   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2021 Speeder 100 with Acera 3x drivetrain costs 54k.

The 2x Sora Speeder 200 costs 63k.

And the top end 2x Tiagra Speeder 300 costs 73k.

All three come with carbon forks.

And I'd place it higher than the Trek FX in my original ranking. Just below the Cannondale and the Specialized.

Cheers, Doc
Old 14th June 2021, 16:00   #5680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

All three come with carbon forks.

And I'd place it higher than the Trek FX in my original ranking. Just below the Cannondale and the Specialized.

Cheers, Doc
Okay so my meagre commuter budget has to stay at 35k. I just cannot afford anything more at the moment. I will do weekday commutes, and weekend joy rides of about 50 kms. Now what?
Old 14th June 2021, 16:10   #5681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay so my meagre commuter budget has to stay at 35k. I just cannot afford anything more at the moment. I will do weekday commutes, and weekend joy rides of about 50 kms. Now what?
We all start off like you.

Then when the tap opens it doesn't close.

How much did you spend ballpark 75 days on the road, including pre and post tour expenses?

Perspective ....

These bikes last a lifetime with the right care. And they are high end machines which you do not buy everyday.

If you want to rest the waters before upgrading, the Triban 100 flat bar is a good bike as well.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. The Trek FX1 with a steel fork and Altus/Tourney drivetrain costs about 35k.

Last edited by ebonho : 14th June 2021 at 16:21.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:21   #5682
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest I would say go and try out the bicycles and also have a look at them for their aesthetic beauty as everyone has some personal liking. Even I was confused like hell when I was looking for a bicycle. My primary inclination was towards Montra as I did not want to go beyond 25k budget. But since I am up north there was hardly any availability. The Treks were in the range of 35k+ and it was out of budget. So finally settled for Raleigh Strava Elite. Many do not have a high opinion abut it but then it serves my purpose and fits all my requirements and also I need not go on speed racing competitions. I could easily maintain an average speed of 22km/hour on my recent ride of 60 Km. It is all alloy 6061 with Shimano Altus at the rear with 8 gears and Tourney at the front with 3 gears and mechanical disc brakes. Costed me 27 K. In the last 2 month of my purchase have driven close to 1K.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:29   #5683
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
Quote:

Dear Redliner,

Along with cycle pricing include approximately 15k for accessories in your budget
1. Bib Shorts
2. quality helmet
3. Safety Lights
4. Portable Pump
5. Floor Pump with Gauge
6. Multitool AllenKey set
7. Chain Lube (Wet and Dry : Wet for monsoon )
8. Fenders (mostly for monsoon)
9. Water Bottle and Cage

Hope this helps

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th June 2021 at 16:31.
greyhound82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:36   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Dear Redliner,

Along with cycle pricing include approximately 15k for accessories in your budget
1. Bib Shorts 1500
2. quality helmet 2000
3. Safety Lights 500 (tail only, if riding in the day)
4. Portable Pump 500
5. Floor Pump with Gauge 2000
6. Multitool AllenKey set 250
7. Chain Lube (Wet and Dry : Wet for monsoon ) 400
8. Fenders (mostly for monsoon) 200 (ass saver)
9. Water Bottle and Cage 500

Hope this helps
About 8000. Have put approximate prices alongside each. Add a decent jersey with back pockets as well. 1000 -1500.

It's very easy to convert a biker into a cyclist in terms of cost of the sport.

No matter how high end you go, you can never come close to what you spend on motorcycling.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th June 2021 at 16:41.
Old 14th June 2021, 16:45   #5685
BHPian

Quote:
About 8000. Have put approximate prices alongside each. Add a decent jersey with back pockets as well. 1000 -1500.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks so much Doc for the price estimate . Thanks much for the awesome suggestions and write up on cycling .

I was using my helmet from 2012(even with two accidents where one is a major one) onwards and from your post only I got to know the life cycle for helmet is around 5 years and the grading of the same
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks