Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 13:24   #5731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You won't get brand new Cannondale bikes anymore unless some local.store has some old stock left. TI Cycles broke off their marketing tie-up quite some time ago. We were hearing news about Cannondale coming on its own to India like Trek and Giant, but then the pandemic struck and everything is up in the air now.
@Doc,
Any visibility on cycle tires (global brands). I want to source Schwalbe tires (preferably Durano or Marathon) that are puncture proof. There's absolutely no availability online that I could find. Any pointers on this?
Old 16th June 2021, 13:34   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@Doc,
Any visibility on cycle tires (global brands). I want to source Schwalbe tires (preferably Durano or Marathon) that are puncture proof. There's absolutely no availability online that I could find. Any pointers on this?
People are charging ridiculous amounts for imports man. GP5000s are selling for 9-11k a pair. Some local shops have some heavy duty training tyres. Just to keep the bikes on the road. I don't see the situation improving unless travel begins again and people find ways to get these tyres into the country. Official import channels have been all but closed by the government. Which is why I said that when you buy a new bike, it's tyres are worth their weight in gold currently.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 15:55   #5733
Distinguished - BHPian

Old 16th June 2021, 19:00   #5734
BHPian

Quote:
People are charging ridiculous amounts for imports man. GP5000s are selling for 9-11k a pair. Some local shops have some heavy duty training tyres. Just to keep the bikes on the road. I don't see the situation improving unless travel begins again and people find ways to get these tyres into the country. Official import channels have been all but closed by the government. Which is why I said that when you buy a new bike, it's tyres are worth their weight in gold currently.

Cheers, Doc
I was just gonna post today and ask about this. Thanks for clarifying Doc ! Was planning to upgrade to Schwalbe G-One, but unable to find stock anywhere. Just to check, can we order online on one of the European websites and get it delivered or will Customs simply impound them and not allow them through ?

Also side note - The bike stock situation might take a dip again:
More bike parts supply chain problems loom as Shimano factory shut down temporarily
AnniHilat0R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:12   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
I was just gonna post today and ask about this. Thanks for clarifying Doc ! Was planning to upgrade to Schwalbe G-One, but unable to find stock anywhere. Just to check, can we order online on one of the European websites and get it delivered or will Customs simply impound them and not allow them through ?
There are some sites people have been ordering tyres from. Gets delivered with all taxes and customs loaded on apparently. Not very different to what people are charging locally.

The bike stock situation never really improved.

Trek has a 6 month waiting. No scene on the horizon.

Merida shipment seems to have arrived but all shopkeepers are tight lipped about delivery dates.

Giants and Polygons you hear of in dribs and drabs. Marin too. No news on Scott. Few old stock Fuji's here and there.

If it wasn't for Decathlon, we would be dead in the water essentially as far as decent new bikes go.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 19:19.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:24   #5736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You won't get brand new Cannondale bikes anymore unless some local.store has some old stock left. TI Cycles broke off their marketing tie-up quite some time ago. We were hearing news about Cannondale coming on its own to India like Trek and Giant, but then the pandemic struck and everything is up in the air now.

I'm not a fan of disc brakes on a cycle. Period. For a number of reasons. Primary being the feel and control which is just not there. Weight is another factor. Fiddly removal and refitting of wheels another especially with the thru axles. Lack of adjustability on the road is another, where if the brakes are binding you are essentially stuck. Short of disengaging the entire assembly.

Note how over the past few years as the industry began moving to disc brakes on the road bikes, in the pro tour races, wheel changes have become nearly non- existent, with teams preferring to change the entire bike instead. Simply to save time and the risk of a mal-aligned disc.

Anyways the only real advantage of disc brakes is on long very technical descents, like Alpine passes in the wet. Where traditional brakes test your arm muscles and brake fade becomes real.

99.9% riding in India does not remotely qualify. It's just unnecessary cost and weight and complications and things that can go wrong.

I have very similar views on front suspension forks as well.

Cheers, Doc
Okay. So I gather that a carbon fork is probably a much better bet when compared to a front suspension. I get it. I need to get a ride of a carbon fork bike to see how comfy it is. And I guess mechanical brakes as opposed to hydraulic brakes are easier to manage. I don’t suppose you are alluding to rim brakes.

Purely intellectually massaging myself here, since absolutely nothing is available in the market now, I seem to be going back to the triban rc500 because it seems to tick all the boxes of what most members here seem to suggest.

Here are my questions:

1. I see that the drop bar can be changed to a flat bar, basis docs comments in the past. I wonder if I will get used to a drop bar for commuting etc. wonder if I am even making sense.

2. Can I fit wider tyres to make my commute more comfortable? How wide? And I guess the rims are tubeless ready too?

3. The lightness of this bike seems unreal, and should help in every way.

I just wanted to understand what can I do to make this bike a more comfortable commuter to start with, and then maybe use it as a roadie for the highways on the weekends.

I need to go get a test ride on this one sometime. I wonder if used triban 500s are available in the market. Am sure a bucket load of these have sold.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:37   #5737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Is it ok for the Trek FX2 to do gravel trail (they say fine gravel, but it’s a bit bone-jarring – picture below), or will it completely destroy the tyres? It’s on our regular bike path with around 1.5 kms long one-way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I was using it extensively over gravel paths (aprrox 1km ) on my morning rides till got a severe covid attack and had to stop cycling for almost 2 months . It is bone jarring but didn’t create any issues for tyres or rims.
Tried the track with gravel section this evening and it was not that bad; covered at relative ease and proceeded for leisurely ride for around 34 kms (round trip)

The Bicycles thread-img_8903.png

The Bicycles thread-img_8893.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:44   #5738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Okay. So I gather that a carbon fork is probably a much better bet when compared to a front suspension. I get it. I need to get a ride of a carbon fork bike to see how comfy it is. And I guess mechanical brakes as opposed to hydraulic brakes are easier to manage. I don’t suppose you are alluding to rim brakes.

Purely intellectually massaging myself here, since absolutely nothing is available in the market now, I seem to be going back to the triban rc500 because it seems to tick all the boxes of what most members here seem to suggest.

Here are my questions:

1. I see that the drop bar can be changed to a flat bar, basis docs comments in the past. I wonder if I will get used to a drop bar for commuting etc. wonder if I am even making sense.

2. Can I fit wider tyres to make my commute more comfortable? How wide? And I guess the rims are tubeless ready too?

3. The lightness of this bike seems unreal, and should help in every way.

I just wanted to understand what can I do to make this bike a more comfortable commuter to start with, and then maybe use it as a roadie for the highways on the weekends.

I need to go get a test ride on this one sometime. I wonder if used triban 500s are available in the market. Am sure a bucket load of these have sold.
You cannot compare a rigid fork and a front suspension in any way, regardless of the material. The dynamics and geometry and feel are totally different.

In a rigid fork, a carbon bladed one is best to soften out road buzz. That means the vibration you get in your hands. Don't have visions of magic soft cloud carpets. Next best is good old steel. The worst and harshest is an alloy fork. Due to the nature of the material. Also slightly curved blades have a bit more give and smoothen put the ride more, while straighter ones make for a lot sharper and snappier handling.

I would suggest the rc120 over the rc500. You've already heard Aravind's real world feedback on the discs.

Tyres are like gold right now. Eventually, when you wear out the set the bike comes with, these frames can take broader tyres. Pretty sure they can take till 35 or even 40c, which is plenty of tyre volume. 40c is what pro racers use in gravel racing, on loose bajri (check out the recently raced Unbound 200 in Kansas).

Yes I am talking about the humble rim brakes. Either V power brakes or the road caliper brakes. The cantilever ones hardly are seen anymore. Infinitely adjustable and will get you home. Even with a bent rim or broken spokes. The downside ... you will eventually wear through the rim.and need to replace it. But in 99 out of 100 cases, you will replace the bike long before that.

You can make any bike more comfortable. The stem can be angled upward to give some height. The spacers can all be placed below the stem. The handle itself can be rotated a bit up and towards the rider (hopefully not to ridiculous proportions). You can also get a shorter stem, or one that's angled a lot more.

Fatter tyres will allow you to run lower pressures. Making the ride a lot softer.

Changing a drop bar to a flat bar or vice versa is way too much hassle and expense. Might as well buy the bike you want in the first place and live with it.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:54   #5739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

It is fairly comfortable - the carbon forks along with the 28c tyres are adequately comfortable. But on very bad roads, I miss my ACT110 which feels like an SUV in comparison. But on well paved roads, there is nothing to complain.
Thanks to you and doc, we are back here again. If I increase the tyre width, and lower the pressure, how much more comfortable will this be? Will it give MTB level plushness or am I barking up the wrong tree? Carbon fork on the 120 at this price point is insane.
Old 16th June 2021, 19:59   #5740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks to you and doc, we are back here again. If I increase the tyre width, and lower the pressure, how much more comfortable will this be? Will it give MTB level plushness or am I barking up the wrong tree? Carbon fork on the 120 at this price point is insane.
It is absolutely insane. Check the bike out. I think you can happily live with it. Very capable tourer. Endurance frame. 2x8 Microshift brifters work a charm. Under 11 kilos. In 40k.

It's what makes me a BTwin fanboi.

Cheers, Doc
Old 16th June 2021, 20:12   #5741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is absolutely insane. Check the bike out. I think you can happily live with it. Very capable tourer. Endurance frame. 2x8 Microshift brifters work a charm. Under 11 kilos. In 40k.

It's what makes me a BTwin fanboi.

Cheers, Doc
Okay, I guess wider tyres with lowered pressure can be fit. Let me see if used deals are available in the market.

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th June 2021 at 20:25.
Old 16th June 2021, 20:39   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
There are some sites people have been ordering tyres from. Gets delivered with all taxes and customs loaded on apparently. Not very different to what people are charging locally.

The bike stock situation never really improved.

Trek has a 6 month waiting. No scene on the horizon.

Merida shipment seems to have arrived but all shopkeepers are tight lipped about delivery dates.

Giants and Polygons you hear of in dribs and drabs. Marin too. No news on Scott. Few old stock Fuji's here and there.

If it wasn't for Decathlon, we would be dead in the water essentially as far as decent new bikes go.

Cheers, Doc
Ah sweet. If you dont mind could you please share these websites please.
Yeah, no respite in the stock situation :(
Even for Decthalon, was waiting for the RC 500 to be in stock since Jan now. Gave up hopes, luckily the 120 came in stock so got that. But luck threw another spanner in the works, the lockdown got extended so Decathlon cancelled the order as the delivery couldn't be executed (Had already waited a month) :(
So back to the great wait.
Also, thanks a ton for the reply Doc, appreciate it.
AnniHilat0R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:10   #5743
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the RC120 for a long time, and its fabulous. But if I had a choice I'd get the RC500. It's just too good. And, yes I dont like Disc brakes too
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I don't want to add to your confusion, but there is RC120 which is very competent too at about 40K (right in the middle of RC100 and RC500) And that one has almost everything the RC500 has, except that the drivertrain are inferior. That could be a very good place to start off and experiment.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:13   #5744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Ah sweet. If you dont mind could you please share these websites please.
Yeah, no respite in the stock situation :(
Even for Decthalon, was waiting for the RC 500 to be in stock since Jan now. Gave up hopes, luckily the 120 came in stock so got that. But luck threw another spanner in the works, the lockdown got extended so Decathlon cancelled the order as the delivery couldn't be executed (Had already waited a month) :(
So back to the great wait.
Also, thanks a ton for the reply Doc, appreciate it.
A friend got it delivered here in India by Wiggle.com .

By DHL. Great quality and reliability and things went smoothly and the shipment did not get held up.

Add approximately 40% on top of the purchase price for shipping and Customs Duty plus CVD plus IGST.

Ballpark.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 16th June 2021 at 21:16.
Old 16th June 2021, 21:26   #5745
BHPian

RC120 seem to have a dual chainring at the front. Wouldn't that be a problem for not so fit occasional tourer to ride on the hills, say when compared to a typical hybrid like Trek FX series that has 3 rings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks