BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Thanks for the kind comments Anand!!
Yes, certainly its sheet Nostalgia.

Good Old Memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Nostalgia!

I got the BSA SLR in 1987 (belonged to my cousin but was with me for a few years) and I was thrilled when I first saw it. I was 11 and didn't know any technical details and it didn't matter. I just rode it everyday. The ornament on the front mud guard as you said (even today, I don't know what it's called ) was chrome and with a rounded head and was one of the many beautiful things about the cycle. I loved the way the cycled looked and used to drag my feet every monsoon when everyone else used to apply the horrible looking yellow anti-rust coat on all non painted parts of their cycles and I had to do the same too.

Three of us used to ride to the New Zealand hostel building in Aarey Colony and then race on the slopes. Crazy fun! Fixed ratio (I didn't even know back then that there was something called as "geared cycle"), avg brakes (which would do nothing to slow the cycle down on the Aarey slopes) but nothing mattered.

Thanks for bringing back those lovely memories!
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:50   #5792
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone please school me on the best kickstand and fenders (something that accomodates upto 40 size tyres) please? Decathlon stuff doesn't inspire any confidence.
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:52   #5793
BHPian

Question for the Triban RC 500 / 520 folks, the stock Triban Protect Light tyres which come with the bikes, are they good ? Read a few reviews online which say that they are super puncture prone.
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:44   #5794
Distinguished - BHPian

A BMW sales advisor casually mentioned that there is huge demand for BMW bicycles, and he has sold 20+ pieces in the last 2 months alone.

I was astonished as their models are easily 110K+; is he saying the truth or is he simply pulling a fast one?

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd June 2021 at 15:48.
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:56   #5795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
A BMW sales advisor casually mentioned that there is huge demand for BMW bicycles, and he has sold 20+ pieces in the last 2 months alone.

I was astonished as their models are easily 110K+; is he saying the truth or is he simply pulling a fast one?
20+ cycles are hardly a big number. Considering there's a severe shortage in the market for all leading brands, I'm sure the ones with remaining stock would have done a killing with their stock.

Given their huge price point, I'm sure BMW sellers/dealers would have also offered meaty discounts. I have seen BMW options being discussed in one of the cycling groups I'm part of - in the same breath as they discussed more well known & much better brands (e.g. Colnago) in that price bracket. Clearly it was a factor of supply & demand. No idea what that individual finally purchased - I was surprised he would even think of BMW into the comparison.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd June 2021 at 15:58.
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:01   #5796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can someone please school me on the best kickstand and fenders (something that accomodates upto 40 size tyres) please? Decathlon stuff doesn't inspire any confidence.
SKS is a popular brand world over for mudguards and looks like they are available in India now. It of course comes in different sizes for different tyre diameters and widths. In addition to it, make sure your bike has space to accommodate it at the rear, especially if you are planning to go for fatter tyres. There are several flap like mudguards available now but I doubt they give you enough protection. I have never used any mudguards as it brings down the cool quotient of the bike, just like rain visor on cars
I picked whatever kickstand that was available in my LBS that fits at the rear. I used to have a center stand before and it was a pain to rotate the pedals using hand while fixing a fallen chain or to lubricate it.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:08   #5797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well, if its a bike with a 105 group-set (I'd imagine BMW would at least have the entry pro level group-set on its offerings), then 1.1 lacs is very normal for other "pure bike" brands as well.

Cheers, Doc
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:26   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. I find my OE brakes on my RC 120 are pathetic and therefore dangerous at times. Thinking to change brake pads for better bite. Any suggestions please and where to source them from. Thanks The Bicycles thread-img_20210622_162253_dro.jpg
Pic of my setup.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:00   #5799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
20+
Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
SKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, c
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
If anyone was looking to buy the Triban RC 500 in Large size, there are couple of units showing in stock right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm using the RC120 for a long time, and its fabulous. But if I had a choice I'd get the RC500. It's just too good. And, yes I dont like Disc brakes too
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
When I .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Hey Red Liner, I ride the Triban RC500 and a Hercules ACT110.
I don't want to add to your confusion, but there is RC120 which is very competent too at about 40K (right in the middle of RC100 and RC500) And that one has almost everything the RC500 has, except that the drivertrain are inferior. That could be a very good place to start off and experiment.

Like Ninjatalli has suggested, Decathlon offers test rides within their premises. Could give you an idea of what to expect.
Hokay!
The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210622_102337623.mp.jpg

Ordered yesterday and she's here today. My baby blue lynx. The KTM is my Snow leopard

Story of how i got hold of the bike is crazy and best left over a few chilled ones when we all get to meet sometime. Rode the bike back from the store and figured I should have got a bottle holder atleast lol.

I want to add an additional front brake at the top of the bar, i am unable to crouch and ride for more than a few minutes. I will practice slowly. What parts should i get? Will look at youtube as well.

I also need a good kickstand and those mudguards. I plan to install tubeless 34/36/40 whatever as soon as i can find some. What brands should i look at and what are they priced at if at all available? I have zero knowledge on the local market. I see availability is zero at the moment. I will slowly put more questions out over the course of the week as i ride the bike around my block. Today was just about figuring how the gearing worked

Man, i have forgotten how tiring cycling is! Or i am just not yet used to the cardio. Good thing, time to get that heart rate going.

Guess i need a helmet and some other knickknacks over the week. Damn...i started at 35k, logged in here and now.

Absolutely appreciate everyone being so patient with me and answering everything so lucidly. Thank you all for your time.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:08   #5800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ordered yesterday and she's here today. My baby blue lynx. The KTM is my Snow leopard
Nice bike! Congratulations. Use her well.

Golden rule is never replace anything till you have sucked the juice out of it.

And never buy anything till at least 1000 km on the bike, which will help you figure out what you actually need/want versus what your internet research drives you to believe what you need/want.

Of course some basics are a must. Those have been outlined with prices in an earlier post.

But I personally would not be caught dead with a side-stand or mudguards on my bikes. To me, they get lumped into the same category as the ghanti or the memory foam seat covers.

And in the end remember. Every single thing you add to the bike comes with a weight penalty.

Weight which you will be carrying around wherever you go. So resist to urge to "decorate" the bike with a lot of ultimately useless farkles. Nothing screams noob more than a handlebar full of gadgets and mobile holder etc.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd June 2021 at 17:20.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:19   #5801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
SKS is a popular brand world over for mudguards and looks like they are available in India now. It of course comes in different sizes for different tyre diameters and widths. In addition to it, make sure your bike has space to accommodate it at the rear, especially if you are planning to go for fatter tyres. There are several flap like mudguards available now but I doubt they give you enough protection. I have never used any mudguards as it brings down the cool quotient of the bike, just like rain visor on cars
I picked whatever kickstand that was available in my LBS that fits at the rear. I used to have a center stand before and it was a pain to rotate the pedals using hand while fixing a fallen chain or to lubricate it.
These right? https://www.cyclop.in/collections/mu...dth-38mm-front

Quote:
Nice bike! Congratulations. Use her well.

Golden rule is never replace anything till you have sucked the juice out of it.

And never buy anything till at least 1000 km on the bike, which will help you figure out what you actually need/want versus what your internet research drives you to believe what you need/want.

Of course some basics are a must. Those have been outlined with prices in an earlier post.

But I personally would not be caught dead with a side-stand or mudguards on my bikes.

And in the end remember. Every single thing you add to the bike comes with a weight penalty.

Weight which you will be carrying around wherever you go.

Cheers, Doc
You are right. But man, a kick stand and mudguards i figured were pretty basic lol. Alongwith that brake upgrade before my neck twists 360 degrees the other way. Or you think its safer to just lie the bike down on the ground, and buy water or whatever. I guess even kick stands are not fool proof and can have the bike knocked over. That was my criteria for getting a kick stand.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:27   #5802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right. But man, a kick stand and mudguards i figured were pretty basic lol. Alongwith that brake upgrade before my neck twists 360 degrees the other way. Or you think its safer to just lie the bike down on the ground, and buy water or whatever. I guess even kick stands are not fool proof and can have the bike knocked over. That was my criteria for getting a kick stand.
The safest way to park a bike is prop it up (preferably non drive side) against a convenient wall, using two main contact points of the saddle and the handlebar shoulder (being very careful of the levers).

The other way, when you have a pavement, is the non drive side pedal backwards wedged on to the pavement, with the front wheel turned in the direction of the pavement and touching it.

Mudguards, unless full cover (which uglify the bike beyond tolerable limits) do more harm than good, directing and trapping in mud water on expensive bearings and drivetrain components. Tried and tested. Get used to riding in monsoon specific dark jersey and tights, and giving your washing machine a good workout after every ride.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd June 2021 at 17:29.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:33   #5803
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the new bike. Nice color!
Quote:
Kick stand and mudguards i figured were pretty basic lol. Alongwith that brake upgrade before my neck twists 360 degrees the other way. Or you think its safer to just lie the bike down on the ground, and buy water or whatever. I guess even kick stands are not fool proof and can have the bike knocked over. That was my criteria for getting a kick stand.
Kick stand and the bottle cage I understand, but why you need to add mudguards? It’ll spoil the overall look of the bike IMO.

As doc mentioned above, try to use the bike as stock before doing modifications like brakes upgrade. It could be just that ’getting used to’ period.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:37   #5804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The safest way to park a bike is prop it up (preferably non drive side) against a convenient wall, using two main contact points of the saddle and the handlebar shoulder (being very careful of the levers).

The other way, when you have a pavement, is the non drive side pedal backwards wedged on to the pavement, with the front wheel turned in the direction of the pavement and touching it.

Mudguards, unless full cover (which uglify the bike beyond tolerable limits) do more harm than good, directing and trapping in mud water on expensive bearings and drivetrain components. Tried and tested. Get used to riding in monsoon specific dark jersey and tights, and giving your washing machine a good workout after every ride.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. Nice color!

Kick stand and the bottle cage I understand, but why you need to add mudguards? It’ll spoil the overall look of the bike IMO.

As doc mentioned above, try to use the bike as stock before doing modifications like brakes upgrade. It could be just that ’getting used to’ period.
Good points. This is what i was looking for. Meaningful elucidation of why or why not. I agree now and will not install them.

Will go back a few pages and get the list of immediates out of the way.
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:40   #5805
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers, Doc
You either go for a full mudguard or nothing. Something like this: https://bumsonthesaddle.com/collecti...s-trekking700c
I did my research and zeroed-in on something like that but just didn't feel like buying. As Doc said it uglifies the bike.

Kickstand is a matter of convenience winning over looks for me. It is very useful when taking pics of the bike on tour. I hate to see pics of bike lying down.

I would suggest you to refrain from buying anything except these at the moment: helmet, gloves, padded shorts, puncture kit, hand pump, saddle bag. And maybe a kickass jersey. Stay away from gel seat covers.
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed