Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 10:26   #6046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Because for your height, that is exactly what will happen if you ride a L.
Thanks, doc.

It's just an old Decathlon with Shimano 3x7. Btw, I did try a friend's L sized bike today - also a hybrid. I guess I will get some more saddle time and then get sizing done from the professionals. Like you said, virtual measurements and info arent right for stuff that will be used physically.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:28   #6047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
ProCycle in Bangalore is now officially distributing them in India. I’ve PM’d you the contact number but you can google their website as well for all details. They’re following a direct distributor to customer model I think.
I went to procycle when i was looking to buy a bike a few months back and i was forced into test riding this.

I dont know. let me just end it there. It felt more like a vanity purchase in my case to be honest. Am sure others such as you have good use cases for such a bicycle.
Old 14th July 2021, 10:37   #6048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I went to procycle when i was looking to buy a bike a few months back and i was forced into test riding this.

I dont know. let me just end it there. It felt more like a vanity purchase in my case to be honest. Am sure others such as you have good use cases for such a bicycle.
Trust me although its not vanity, there is no solid use case for me either. It’s an absolutely indulgent buy on my part and my volume of usage will surely not do justice to it. I do very often try and take my bicycle on road trips. This is a more convenient companion on such trips with family and luggage where I can take in local sights on a cycle. I also use it around and about my area or for casual rides (again something my scooter can and does fulfil) but its just nice to have as an option.

But its like buying a Mini Cooper for a job that could be done pretty much by an i20 as well (i.e. a Decathlon equivalent offering of a foldie).

EDIT: Sorry taking advantage of edit window to avoid back to back post, but to second what Ebonho said in the post below, it is genuinely an absolute hoot to ride and surprisingly capable in terms of the speeds it can hold up too in the hands of seasoned and strong riders.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th July 2021 at 10:55.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:37   #6049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's a hoot to ride though. Did you try it out?

Best described as those childhood push scooters ... with pedals.

There are some maniacs who have done BRMs on one as well.
Old 14th July 2021, 11:07   #6050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a hoot to ride though. Did you try it out?

Best described as those childhood push scooters ... with pedals.

There are some maniacs who have done BRMs on one as well.
Yeah I test rode it and it was fun. Guess it wasn't for me at this point in time
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:09   #6051
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
While my other bikes are in the bedroom this one sits sweetly in the living room almost like a small piece of art. It’s just such a marvelous piece of engineering.
Good one! There is something which sets them apart from the sea of folding bikes available in the market – screams elegance and craftsmanship! There’s a cult following for Brompton here in Singapore and every weekend I see a train of those passing by (organized Brompton group rides).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:19   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Those who want a foldie cheap, say for office and actually commuting, Decathlon sells two different models as well at 17k and 25k. Haven't really checked out the specs coz this style is not for me. Just putting it out there in case someone genuinely wants one but has been put off by the high ticket price of the Brompton.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:57   #6053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those who want a foldie cheap, say for office and actually commuting, Decathlon sells two different models as well at 17k and 25k. Haven't really checked out the specs coz this style is not for me. Just putting it out there in case someone genuinely wants one but has been put off by the high ticket price of the Brompton.
Slightly higher and you have Montague available as well here. Paratrooper etc.
Old 14th July 2021, 14:07   #6054
BHPian

My one year old triban rc120 has gotten some problems now.
The big chainring(50-34T) looks like it won't hold the chain at all. The scary part was I fell down and hurt myself during one of the BRMs early this year and I am sure its because of this.
The Bicycles thread-ounce-crank.jpg

I began hunting for the crankset from then on. Then the lockdown began. Last week I finally managed to get hold of one from a dealer in Mumbai - Shimano Claris.
The Bicycles thread-claris.jpg

The second issue is the shifter(Microshift R8), which got damaged from the fall I had. It shifts, but isn't consistent when shifting to the higher gears. I am looking to get this replaced as well. Either with the same Microshift or a compatible Shimano one. All leads so far are dead ends.
Anyone with contacts would be appreciated. Thank you.
The Bicycles thread-microshift-8-speed-shifter.jpg
aneezan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:48   #6055
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the above possibly because you didn't check chain wear or drive train wear on time? How many kms in were you on this set? Tooth wear on the front ring seems quite high. The valleys are huge!

Sorry about your fall. Hope you are doing better now.
Old 14th July 2021, 15:00   #6056
BHPian

Quote:
Is the above possibly because you didn't check chain wear or drive train wear on time? How many kms in were you on this set? Tooth wear on the front ring seems quite high. The valleys are huge!

Sorry about your fall. Hope you are doing better now.
Thanks. Just some bruises. More importantly, my head was saved by the helmet which broke in the fall. Thank God.

My mistake on the ring check. I knew it had eroded, but didn't think I would end up flat on the road. Have done about 10K on these now.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:06   #6057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I began hunting for the crankset from then on. Then the lockdown began. Last week I finally managed to get hold of one from a dealer in Mumbai - Shimano Claris.

The second issue is the shifter(Microshift R8), which got damaged from the fall I had. It shifts, but isn't consistent when shifting to the higher gears. I am looking to get this replaced as well. Either with the same Microshift or a compatible Shimano one. All leads so far are dead ends.
Its VERY rare to have a crank eaten through like this on what is probably a very new, barely used bike. Most cranks last at least 3 if not 4 cassettes. Most cassettes last 3-4 chains. Chains last (depending on what speed they are) 3-4000 km to as much as 8-9,000 km if cleaned and lubed regularly. So do the math.

How much did the Claris 2x crank cost you?

I'm pretty sure shifter internals do not get messed up in a simple crash. You barely have scratches on your shifters. You should see the shifters of most road bike ... especially after going clipless! Normally the only reason people replace shifters is when the levers themselves break.

In all likelihood during the fall you have bent your rear derailleur hanger. You can either get that straightened or simply pop over to Decathlon and get the correct derailleur hanger replaced. It costs peanuts. Something like 3-400 bucks last I checked.

Compare that to 6000 bucks Cannondale guys with old stock are charging customers of CAADs and Super Six Evo's in India!

Do let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 14th July 2021 at 15:17.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:06   #6058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Thanks. Just some bruises. More importantly, my head was saved by the helmet which broke in the fall. Thank God.

My mistake on the ring check. I knew it had eroded, but didn't think I would end up flat on the road. Have done about 10K on these now.
A chap I know in the Decathlon Cycling Dept here (A duathlete as well), has been insistent on changing his entire groupset, chain, cassette etc every 2k kms. I guess that might be a bit too much for us recreational cyclists.

Anyone have a ball park number for such replacements?
Old 14th July 2021, 15:23   #6059
BHPian

Thanks both. Bike is currently at Decathlon for the crank change and the derailleur is also part of the service. Again, my fault, should have taken care of the crank better. I am in my second cassette and third chain.
The Crankset cost 3700/-.

Last edited by aneezan : 14th July 2021 at 15:28.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 17:18   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
If not, a competent cycle-wallah should be able to straighten it. I do this quite regularly.

-Eric
Hi Eric,

I have the integrated Shimano Tourney 7-speed ST EF51 brake-shifter combos on my Hercules ACT 110 hybrid.

I now have a spare perfect condition (and a lot newer) 7-speed Altus right side shifter and rear derailleur to use on my bike if I can get them to work.

However, since these have come off a bike with hydraulic disc brakes, the brake unit is separate from the shifter unit (unlike mine with mechanic V rim brakes).

I want to use the Altus shifter in addition to the rear derailleur on my bike in place of my Tourney units. Any improvement in rear shift quality and crispness will be a really good upgrade, even the gearing remaining the same!

But you see the problem ... I have integrated brake lever and shifter.

Can the Tourney brake lever be separated/split from the shifter, so that I can use the Altus shifter along with my original Tourney brake lever? Is there a jugaad you can help me with?

Or do I need to ditch the whole old unit, and get a separate brake lever to go along with the Altus shifter?

Attaching a photo of my bike so you can see my brake-shifter units up close ...

The Bicycles thread-img_20210712_070700.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 14th July 2021 at 17:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks