Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 08:18   #6061
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congratulations on your new bike! Every new cyclist is a boon to our planet and strengthens our community.

There is a local Indian vlogger Cycle Rider Roy. I've seen some of his videos on helmets and lights and other accessories and components. You might want to check them out.

He has two videos on lights on Amazon in two different price ranges.
Thanks! Inputs on this forum helped a lot in deciding. I will check out this channel. Thanks for the tip. I follow all your posts here and I must say they are always helpful and full of information. Will keep doing same as I start exploring this new interest.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 08:50   #6062
BHPian

Got a pair of bicycles during this Covid-19 era. I realised that morning/evening walks are quite risky since people don’t give a damn about precautions. Cycling will help in keeping safe distance from others.

I was about to resume cycling after school days and thought there might be a learning curve. I was quite wrong though and adjusted nicely while riding it from shop to home. Accordingly, my first ride was around 6 kms long in city.

My usage is just for fitness and leisure. No cross country riding for me.

I picked a Hercules Street Cat pro 3.0 in November 2020 from a shop in Wakad for ₹5000.

After riding it for 6-7 months, we thought of getting another one (for wife) so that we can ride together. This is a Mach City Ibike bought from trackandtrail, Pimple Saudagar last month for ₹8500.

Both cycles are light weight, easy to ride, got nice ergonomics and fulfils my purpose completely. We easily do a round trip of around 10kms in our morning rides.

The Bicycles thread-ae265d25dfa84c36a71036e452027e89.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-45477c73e9c44828bda101e6d1751aa3.jpeg
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:35   #6063
Senior - BHPian

I've long known that, like the generations before me, I am a pack rat. A dog with a bone. A squirrel with chestnuts. Translation: I cannot get myself to throw things away if they are perfectly functional, and if I have simply replaced them with something different. I clean and pack them away carefully and store them in a thousand "man/motorcycle/cycle ABSOLUTELY do NOT touch or even venture near to clean (for the maids) on pain of painful death" places.

Was cleaning my muddy ACT yesterday, fettling with the brake cables to clean and lube them, the brake levers getting a puff of wd40 and drop of wet lube too, and adjusting the angles on my bar ends to get a larger number of neutral holds, when I got to thinking about my CAAD gearing discussion while cleaning and lubing the drivetrain and derailleurs.

When I got my barely used ACT it came with a regular 14-28 freewheel. I replaced that with the 14-34 MegaRange freewheel which I've always run on her. But the 14-28 had been cleaned, coated in a light film of sewing machine Singer oil, and packed away. I definitely knew I had not thrown it away (Why? A nearly brand new 600-700 buck part?).

But that was nearly 5 years ago. And try as I might I could not recall where I had kept it (I checked tge usual places inside the house last night and came up blank).

Today morning I rummaged in my cycle shed outdoors. And found it lying neatly wrapped in plastic and protected with bubblewrap (probably the same one the 14-34 came in online), in an old carton.

I swear I cannot describe the small joy and thrill of finding a part you need (or want, or simply do not want to lose)! And the joy was compounded by finding a nearly packed brand new 23c inner tube (albeit with a Shraeder since I had got some of those when running road tyres on my ACT for a hybrid criterium race), a brand new still packed washing sponge, and the original silver seatpost of my Hercules Top Gear which I discarded for a fancy shiny black one, only to find that it wobbles a tiny bit in the seat tube of the frame (damn annoying!). Also neatly packed with other seat posts, kick stands, and pedals.

Happy is the pack rat who finds his buried cheese! LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 15th July 2021 at 10:43.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:35   #6064
BHPian

Hello Bi-Cycle Experts. I am totally new to the modern world of bi-cycles and hence need some advice. The last time I rode a bicycle was about 30 years back as a kid.

Now I am interested into having one for myself for using on weekends to ride around my house which is close to the National Park. I usually walk for 60-90 mins once a week to enjoy some peaceful time given the beautiful weather outside. Now thinking of getting a regular bi-cycle to try out cycling. Visited a FireFox dealer yesterday and was recommended this:

https://www.firefoxbikes.com/street/

For reference, my height: 6'2" and weight is at 101Kg at present. Was also recommended some MTBs first but I am not interested in having gears and disk-breaks and those also seem to be an overkill for my needs.

Can you guys share any thoughts on this FireFox Street or recommend any alternate 'Hybrid' cycle? What other parameters should I consider apart from the frame-size and tyre-size?

These will be purely leisure rides for 60-90 mins and If things go well, I may increase my duration and upgrade later. For now, would like to get a budget cycle.

Note: Tried looking for used ones for a while but yet to come across a good deal with the cycle in good condition or in desired budget. Some have rusted parts, rarely come across a 29' or 28' one and some are again overkill for my needs.
Old 15th July 2021, 10:42   #6065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've long known that, like the generations before me, I am a pack rat.

Happy is the pack rat who finds his buried cheese! LOL
I do this with all my parts too. But i soon realised that if i needed something in particular,i would never be able to figure out which goddamn box it was in! Then i spend half a day pulling all boxes out of the cupboards and lofts and cursing myself silly.

So next, i decided to label all the boxes. But even this didn't help,because i would still need to access the boxes, look at the labels to figure out what was in them.

So now the next step is, make an excel doc, with numbered boxes, arranged in numerical order on the sheet as well as in the loft. Each box on the excel will have a full list of everything in said box. Now if i need anything,i will open the sheet first which will guide me to the right box

Yeah, am a freaking weirdo.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 13:03   #6066
BHPian

I am planning to buy an entry level bicycle for fitness purpose. The idea is to replace my evening jogging with cycling for 2-3 days a week. I don't intend to do trails or long rides, just an hour of bicycling on decent to average roads.

I have shortlisted Rockrider ST30 - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/m...8641588&type=p

I have two queries:
  • What are the advantages of a bigger set of wheel?. Rockrider ST30 has 26 inch wheels where as ST100 has 27.5 wheels. Which one should I go with?
    The only con with Rockrider ST100 is that it has front suspensions. I would rather like to go with a bike with rigid forks.

• My height is 174 cms. The size chart of the bicycle I have selected reads as below: S - 150-164cm : 1.03m * 34cm , M - 165-174cm : 1.06m * 37.8cm , L - 175-184cm : 1.08m * 41.6cm Technically, I fit into the M size but the Decathlon salesman insisted that I go with L. I am confused. I couldn't decide with the one minute ride I can take inside the Decathlon store. Kindly help as I don't want to get stuck with the wrong sized bike.
Thanks.
Old 15th July 2021, 13:09   #6067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am planning to buy an entry level bicycle for fitness purpose. The idea is to replace my evening jogging with cycling for 2-3 days a week. I don't intend to do trails or long rides, just an hour of bicycling on decent to average roads.

I have shortlisted Rockrider ST30 - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/m...8641588&type=p

I have two queries:
  • What are the advantages of a bigger set of wheel?. Rockrider ST30 has 26 inch wheels where as ST100 has 27.5 wheels. Which one should I go with?
    The only con with Rockrider ST100 is that it has front suspensions. I would rather like to go with a bike with rigid forks.

• My height is 174 cms. The size chart of the bicycle I have selected reads as below: S - 150-164cm : 1.03m * 34cm , M - 165-174cm : 1.06m * 37.8cm , L - 175-184cm : 1.08m * 41.6cm Technically, I fit into the M size but the Decathlon salesman insisted that I go with L. I am confused. I couldn't decide with the one minute ride I can take inside the Decathlon store. Kindly help as I don't want to get stuck with the wrong sized bike.
Thanks.
The ST30 is perfect for your recreational fitness use. You will not lose anything because of the wheel size.

From the sizing, you could go with both M or L. Ride both back to back and see which one you gel with more.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 13:19   #6068
BHPian

Quote:
The ST30 is perfect for your recreational fitness use. You will not lose anything because of the wheel size.

From the sizing, you could go with both M or L. Ride both back to back and see which one you gel with more.
Thanks for the prompt response. Will check out the Decathlon store in the weekend and order one.
Old 15th July 2021, 18:06   #6069
Senior - BHPian

Evening shortie. Over the Mula, framed by monsoon clouds.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210715_171509.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210715_171537.jpg

Riding on replacement pedals, my VP's getting an overhaul (the ultra small ball bearings were not available, so left them there and rode back).

I'm really hard on pedals. Resin and plastic ones just grenade. Metal ones last longer, but there too I need to keep getting the balls and grease replaced, as plat and the nasty clicking starts eventually.

The ACT is on her second set, and I'm hoping she does not need a third, if these cannot be repaired.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th July 2021 at 18:07.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:09   #6070
BHPian

What bike?

I loved cycling when I was a kid. I remember we used to get out on our bikes at 5 pm most days, post school, lunch, and homework, and TMNT on Star Plus, and ride anywhere and everywhere for 2-3 hours. I think I was the first one of my friends to get a geared bike with “shockers”. A sexy Streetcat Rock n Roll in black with red spots and gears. Bruh. We had game.

The lockdown got me thinking about cycling again, and there was this old, inexpensive little MTB thing my brother had bought which was lying unused for a few years. Filled the tyres back up, and WD40’d the chain and was good to go.

Then a familiar thing happened. I started looking forward to cycling. I’d want to use it to get about, errands, cardio, warm up, etc. I was riding, and it was fun. And I knew that it was trouble.

Trouble: I want a better bike.

So I started looking, and reading about a few months ago.
The criteria was simple. This better bike better be a better bike. In that, it should feel meaningfully nicer, and should be funn-er.

Started visiting bike shops here in Delhi and around and taking test rides. I tried all the bikes that the store guys recommended I try, which were mostly hybrids with skinny-ish tyres, in the 40k range, no suspension, etc., and a few others which caught my fancy for whatever reason in store. And I tried quite a few of these, without bothering on the brand or how they were equipped.

I really didn’t like a single one. None of them felt meaningfully nicer or funn-er to ride compared to my ol’ cheapie. Then why was I doing this, why bother?

Then, on a whim, and as JJWS remains one of my favourite movies ever, I asked to try this one “vilayati” cycle (in my head, the one with the drop handle bars).

Goddamn did this bike feel good to ride. I asked the guy to accompany me, as I wanted a long test ride, one on roads paved and blocked, broken and not.
I like this position more than one with wide handlebars, I’m not sure why. And while peddling this bike, it felt so eager, you know, like there was some motor augmenting my strokes and helping the bike go along. Or, my energy output was being translated (much more) efficiently into motion. And the shifts are smooth, not clunky like those other bikes.
That is a good feeling.
Plus this one is not with those skinny tyres. This one comes with thick tyres, 42mm, and is comfortable. Except for the seat. Sitting on the seat feels like, as James May likes to put it, “a colonoscopy”.
Not that I know what a colonoscopy feels like. But it sounds right.
“Sir vo toh hum aapko comfort seat laga denge”. Hmm. Okay.

Okay. I’m loving this. This bike is good. This bike is alright. This bike feels right. It feels mine.

“So how much is this”, looks at name on bike, “Marin Four Corners”.
“80,000”.
“Rupees?”

Hmm. Problem. This is quite costly.

So I ask them, if they have something similar for a lesser price. And they bring out this similar looking bike but with skinny tyres, and this one is “just 60,000”.

But it doesn’t feel as good. It’s good, but not as good. And it makes this annoying “tick tick tick” sound when I pause pedalling while the wheels are still moving.

We took rides back to back, and every time this Marin, a name I’d never heard, just felt soo good.

But I wasn’t making an 80k purchase on the spot.

Which brings me to my questions. Gents and ladies of the thread, if I’m looking to spend this much,

1. It is stupid to spend this much on your first adult bike?
2. Is this a stupid bike to spend this much on?
3. Is Marin too obscure here?
4. Would it need too much care?
5. If this much money is needed for me to find a meaningfully nicer bike, which other options should I consider?

Thanks, and have a good day.

Edit: it’s this bike

Last edited by ach1lles : 15th July 2021 at 21:23.
ach1lles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:34   #6071
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Which brings me to my questions. Gents and ladies of the thread, if I’m looking to spend this much,

1. It is stupid to spend this much on your first adult bike?
2. Is this a stupid bike to spend this much on?
3. Is Marin too obscure here?
4. Would it need too much care?
5. If this much money is needed for me to find a meaningfully nicer bike, which other options should I consider?

Thanks, and have a good day.

Edit: it’s this bike
The Marin Four Corners is one of the most popular and well known and acclaimed (by people who know their stuff) adventure / gravel / touring / bikepacking bikes out there. Worldwide.

Marin is a highly respected company globally well known for making some really great bikes. Hybrids and adventure seem to be their forte. They also make great steel frames for high load rough (ab)use. Also perfect for seriously overweight guys who want a bike.

For a bike like this 80k is nothing. Entry level road bikes from big mass produce brands now come in at 60-70k.

I'm actually surprised it costs so little. You are getting a cro moly frame! A triple crank (endless gears). Sora 9 speed (Claris, one step lower 8 speed bikes cost 60-70k). And a Hollowtech Shimano crank (which a few years ago used to come only in 105, not even Tiagra I think).

What's not to like?! This is a world touring, Ladakh tripping bike.

There's no sense trying to save 20k and buying something you don't like.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 15th July 2021 at 21:47.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:40   #6072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Okay. I’m loving this. This bike is good. This bike is alright. This bike feels right. It feels mine.

That's all it matters. Go for it. If anyone (even your own brain) asks about the money you are putting into it, tell them it's a lifetime insurance policy and the physical cycle is just a freebie. The price tag will ensure you use it properly and take care of it and it doesn't turn into a kaccha stand (as the doc eloquently put it).

And, yes, Marin is a GREAT brand!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 00:54   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marin is a highly respected company globally well known for making some really great bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
And, yes, Marin is a GREAT brand!
Thanks for this info. I was about to post a query about Marin. Just earlier today one dealer informed that he has a few Marin Bolinas Ridge bikes in stock. Will go check it this weekend.

There is also a RockRider 540 available, but exclusively online and only size M is in stock. The bike has a mixed component set (Altus, Acera, and Microshift) and I also don't know if the size M would be suitable for my height of 5'10". The nearby decathlon rep said I can go try the ST 520, which shares the same frame.

PS: I have given up on getting a Trek or Giant MTB. The expected delivery date has gone from July to Sep end, that too only if one pre-books now.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 01:46   #6074
BHPian

Quote:
They also make great steel frames for high load rough (ab)use.
Thanks for the quick reply doc. Good to know this. The bike felt robust.

Quote:
For a bike like this 80k is nothing. Entry level road bikes from big mass produce brands now come in at 60-70k.
Yikes. That’s.. something.

Quote:
This is a world touring, Ladakh tripping bike.
That’s the thing. The probability of me doing something like this is abysmally low. Which is why I’m wondering if I’m buying too much bike?

Quote:
There's no sense trying to save 20k and buying something you don't like
Absolutely.
But.
This is what I genuinely am curious about: does it take 80k for me to find a meaningful difference from a run of the mill, single speed, local thing? Am I that numb, or is there something else I’m missing?
I guess the stock situation is part of the reason. For eg: the RC120 isn’t available anywhere to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's all it matters. Go for it. If anyone (even your own brain) asks about the money you are putting into it, tell them it's a lifetime insurance policy and the physical cycle is just a freebie.
That’s certainly one way to go about it, though I’m not quite sure I follow what you mean by the lifetime policy, LOL.

Thanks guys. Will probably pick her up by Sunday.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 05:17   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That’s the thing. The probability of me doing something like this is abysmally low. Which is why I’m wondering if I’m buying too much bike?

This is what I genuinely am curious about: does it take 80k for me to find a meaningful difference from a run of the mill, single speed, local thing? Am I that numb, or is there something else I’m missing?
I guess the stock situation is part of the reason. For eg: the RC120 isn’t available anywhere to try.
A nice bike will remain a nice bike, regardless of what you choose to do with it. You are paying for the niceness. What you do with it is up to you.

After 3 months of research, gigabytes of whatsapp brainstorming, endless calls to the dealer, and me personally trying the bike out in the flesh, a batchmate bought a flatbar Marin cromoly hybrid. Some 45+ k. This was sometime 2-3 years ago

Decathlon was raided and a bed top full 9f gear and accessories were bought in anticipation too

That bike I kid you not has been ridden less than 500 km. To date. And the niceness paid for is doing duty as a fancy steel kaccha stand in the main. And will live her life like that till my friend admits it was an impulse toy and sells her for some ridiculous price.

Coming to your other question, sure there are very nice bikes in all price ranges. But you will not get the feel of a steel bike and fat tyres on any of them. The "live" feel you even as a noob got, is a real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for this info. I was about to post a query about Marin. Just earlier today one dealer informed that he has a few Marin Bolinas Ridge bikes in stock. Will go check it this weekend.

There is also a RockRider 540 available, but exclusively online and only size M is in stock. The bike has a mixed component set (Altus, Acera, and Microshift) and I also don't know if the size M would be suitable for my height of 5'10". The nearby decathlon rep said I can go try the ST 520, which shares the same frame.

PS: I have given up on getting a Trek or Giant MTB. The expected delivery date has gone from July to Sep end, that too only if one pre-books now.
Bike for bike, feature for feature, spec for spec the Rockrider 540 is two levels above the Bolinas Ridge, which is an entry level MTB with mechanical discs and a basic 21 speed Tourney drivetrain.

The 540 has hydraulic Hayes discs and a 27 speed Altis/Acera drivetrain. And I've personally seen it perform great since a close rider buddy has one. Both in Poona and in competition in Himachal.

Both should be good bikes. Buy the one that feels better to ride, with a blank mind bereft of data bias.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th July 2021 at 05:37.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks