Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 13:07   #6106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How do you shift smoothly? I saw something about not loading the bike as you pedal to shift smooth. I need to get this down.
You always shift with low to minimal or just eased off tension on your chain through your legs.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:08   #6107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
A weird day yesterday.
Wow XS! How tall are you man?

Luckily almost all my bike fit issues seem to be sorted. No pain for me at the usual places and i was actually singing out loud with my earphones today while pedaling!
Old 17th July 2021, 13:36   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
If I may ask, which or where is the store in Noida?
Cyclofit.

Quote:
Wow XS! How tall are you man?

Luckily almost all my bike fit issues seem to be sorted. No pain for me at the usual places and i was actually singing out loud with my earphones today while pedaling!
Lol I’m 175. Smack dab in the middle of M. Weird, right?

Singing out loud is the dream.

Last edited by ach1lles : 17th July 2021 at 13:40.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:50   #6109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have some bad niggling pain in only my left knee. Its kind of IT band pain. If not for this, i think even a 100k today would have been alright. I am doing exercises to strengthen my knees through the week. Lets see how tomorrows rest day goes. No pain anywhere else with god's grace
First of all congrats on the 50 km.

I fear, you might need more rest than one day for sure (If it is an ITB). Even if it is just a starting phrase, the sequence goes as Rest -> Rehab -> Strengthen -> Build up.

Like Doc said, try to ride easy, skip down to lower main gear and adjust the rear cogs as needed and then try spinning at healthy cadence (say 80-85 rpm). Also ride at a speed that is comfortable; Too fast and Too slow both will create stress on body.

A statement from my observation of the pics shared, you seem to have just one bottle (prob 750 ml ?). If it is a ride for 3 hours, irrespective of the speed / intensity you will need a minimum of 1.5L of hydration. Many underestimate the hydration needs in cycling as the body doesn't feel so like say in running. But issues crop up after you breach a certain threshold and then they just compound on log scale !

cheers

Last edited by Mi10 : 17th July 2021 at 13:54.
Mi10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 15:36   #6110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
First of all congrats on the 50 km.

I fear, you might need more rest than one day for sure (If it is an ITB). Even if it is just a starting phrase, the sequence goes as Rest -> Rehab -> Strengthen -> Build up.

Like Doc said, try to ride easy, skip down to lower main gear and adjust the rear cogs as needed and then try spinning at healthy cadence (say 80-85 rpm). Also ride at a speed that is comfortable; Too fast and Too slow both will create stress on body.

A statement from my observation of the pics shared, you seem to have just one bottle (prob 750 ml ?). If it is a ride for 3 hours, irrespective of the speed / intensity you will need a minimum of 1.5L of hydration. Many underestimate the hydration needs in cycling as the body doesn't feel so like say in running. But issues crop up after you breach a certain threshold and then they just compound on log scale !

cheers
Yeah, i rest for a week before doing another 50k. During the week i am smack full of resistance training. I needed some endurance cardio for the weekend to complement this, and cycling is great. I have ITB specific exercises during the week.

Cadence. I have to get there bit by bit. I am just about getting the hang of the gearing system and it is slowly becoming reflex. Not there yet, but getting better every 50k i suppose. I guess you guys all use cadence meters?

You are right about the water. I am a bit loathe to undo my bibs to take a leak lol. Is that how you guys do it too. Man, this is getting annoying haha.
Old 17th July 2021, 17:30   #6111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right about the water. I am a bit loathe to undo my bibs to take a leak lol. Is that how you guys do it too. Man, this is getting annoying haha.
So now you've discovered the biggest (pun intended) utility of shorts over bibs.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 18:25   #6112
Team-BHP Support

Saturday mornings are getting better! Today wifey also joined for the morning trip and quite easily managed a 60km round trip, with a coffee / refueling stop at around 40km mark. Not at blazing speeds (average 16.1 km/h), mostly rode on bike tracks and pavements.

Mandatory photo at halfway point…

The Bicycles thread-img_9633.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 20:10   #6113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A weird day yesterday.

Attachment 2180331
A stunning looking bike. I love it.

The tan walled fat tyres really make the whole scheme pop.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 07:48   #6114
BHPian

Quote:
That is a sweet looking bike and those specs are . This is the combination I have been looking for. The price seems very reasonable for what you are getting. It sure is a long term keeper.

At present, I have a carbon frame road bike, which is ok for fast-distances, but I was looking for a more robust bike with thicker tyres and disc brakes. I am not much of a MTB fan and would like to have drop bars.

I suppose gravel bikes are the way to go for our roads, for me. I tried looking up the specs of the Marin four corners on their website, but one thing I could not find is the size of the rim width which accomodates the 42mm tyres. Do you have any idea of what the rim width is?. The reason I am asking is, as an interim measure, I am considering upsizing tyres of my road bike to a 32c from the present 25c, so just wanted to know if my present ETRTO 17c can take a fatter tyre. I seem to have adequate rim clearance.

Happy riding!.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 08:19   #6115
BHPian

Did a 10 kms ride this morning. It was a perfect weather today. Took a little detour as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20210718_081724.jpg  

Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 10:55   #6116
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you guys carry your smart phone for easy access while riding? Arm Band? Frame bag? I am thinking arm band, for quick access to take pictures.
Old 18th July 2021, 13:58   #6117
Senior - BHPian

Go for frame bag. Its lovely. I had posted mine, few days back. Arm band was uncomfy
Quote:
How do you guys carry your smart phone for easy access while riding? Arm Band? Frame bag? I am thinking arm band, for quick access to take pictures.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:21   #6118
BHPian

Quote:
Get a good Jersey and then carry it in the back pocket. There are some jerseys that will come with zipped water proof pockets and can be used. Next option is to get a stem mount for your phone. That way you can keep strava running while you are cycling and checking the stats. Last option is basically take a bottle, do not fill it with water, dump in some cash, spares and mobile in it and put it in a holder.

Please do not capture any photos while in the process of riding, stop and then snap .

Quote:
Cyclofit.

Lol I’m 175. Smack dab in the middle of M. Weird, right?

Singing out loud is the dream.
That is weird, may be it is your body construction, with shorter legs and bigger upper body. Anyway, even on that XS frame (I guess a 49?) you can adjust the seat height, get a longer stem and may be move the seat slightly backwards to get a good fit.
Most pros actually ride bikes 1 or two sizes smaller, then they jack up the seat height, get 120mm stems and now you have a pretty slammed position.
There is no way to fit a small person on large frame, but the other way round is definitely possible.
mohanphadnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:32   #6119
Senior - BHPian

Kamshet! A Sunday century after a LONG time.

At Cafe Diamond, the start point. Waiting for the other riders to show up. With the iconic Varma Studio as the backdrop ... the only place for decent professional quality photographs and Xerox/color Xerox in the Poona of the 90s, when I was in college.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210718_063036.jpg

Buddy parked bikes at the chai and misal sample / vada sambar stop at Talegaon on the way back.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210718_091535.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 16:16   #6120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Go for frame bag. Its lovely. I had posted mine, few days back. Arm band was uncomfy
This looks pretty good isn't it? I think I prefer a bag on top of the frame than below. But I know nothing. Thoughts? I think yours was under frame wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Get a good Jersey and then carry it in the back pocket. There are some jerseys that will come with zipped water proof pockets and can be used. Next option is to get a stem mount for your phone. That way you can keep strava running while you are cycling and checking the stats. Last option is basically take a bottle, do not fill it with water, dump in some cash, spares and mobile in it and put it in a holder.

Please do not capture any photos while in the process of riding, stop and then snap .

I already have a good set of "jerseys" without pockets but come with UV protection in the fabric. These are nice stretchable running full sleeve running shirts. I like them enough to not consider jerseys with pockets. Plus I hate carrying stuff in my pockets. Stem mount is out too, don't want my phone exposed outside. Places I ride to, I don't need google maps or anything. i have a smart watch, so stats are on my wrist anytime i look down. Your suggestions are all worthy alternatives provided I already didn't have all these things lol.

Yeah man, I always stop to take pictures, because the bike has to be in the frame! lol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks