Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:32   #6196
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much is this bike? I don’t mind one more comfy bike to get around a bit of town if this isn’t too expensive.
It costed me 10k bucks. Was out of stock since long and managed to grab one in my nearest Decathlon store. There were 3 of these in stock that day and all got sold within a couple of hours.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/m...ale-mint-white
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:35   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Noob question. Can a electric bike be a healthy replacement for a city commuter?

I am fit but cant do 10 km runs without sweating. So if I have to go from home to office, I will take the bike (scooter actually).

I would love to cycle if I can do it with a lil bit of assistance, especially in Mumbai.

I also do Mumbai Thane runs, which can technically be done easily on an electric bike.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:36   #6198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
It costed me 10k bucks. Was out of stock since long and managed to grab one in my nearest Decathlon store. There were 3 of these in stock that day and all got sold within a couple of hours.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/m...ale-mint-white
Yeah just the large is available now. I am in no hurry at the moment, I think like Akshay I am just gravitating to the colours of the bike lol. But at 10k, it’s not a bank breaker.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:31   #6199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Noob question. Can a electric bike be a healthy replacement for a city commuter?
Not a full answer but this video has some good info. I think Dr. Louis was also part of our forum but he is not active here anymore. I have met him a long time ago KL and Blr meets.

Last edited by Jaguar : 22nd July 2021 at 16:32.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:57   #6200
BHPian

Quote:
. Can a electric bike be a healthy replacement for a city commuter?
As long as you are going to replace car/motorcycle with an electric bike, it is a healthy replacement. Most electric bikes are electric power assists, which means they still require physical pedaling and you can arrive at work without breaking sweat. Here in NL, I see almost all my commuter friends have one Electric bike for home-work commutes and of course one cheap bike for the local runs.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:20   #6201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am fit but cant do 10 km runs without sweating. So if I have to go from home to office, I will take the bike (scooter actually).

I would love to cycle if I can do it with a lil bit of assistance, especially in Mumbai.

I also do Mumbai Thane runs, which can technically be done easily on an electric bike.
Recreational cycling is not great for weight loss. General fitness and release of feel-good endorphins yes.

To get the same benefit of even a 20 min brisk walk (not even a jog) you need to cycle for at least 45 minutes and above.

This is because man as an animal is not very efficient like many others.

But put him on a cycle and he becomes the most efficient.

It's efficient. Its low impact. It's largely aerobic

You need to do a lot of it and at significantly higher intensities to equal running or swimming.

Hope I've led you to your answer.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 00:09   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
I think like Akshay I am just gravitating to the colours of the bike lol. But at 10k, it’s not a bank breaker.
Exactly my thought process. Anyhow, as you all suggest, time to go to Decathlon and try these out myself (if they still have stock).

Thanks a lot again. Will keep you updated
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:26   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, Eddy, Rehaan and the admin team.

I think this is a great move.

As the grand daddy of all Motorcycles, the Bicycles thread will hold pride of place here.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:33   #6204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks GTO, Eddy, Rehaan and the admin team.

I think this is a great move.

As the grand daddy of all Motorcycles, the Bicycles thread will hold pride of place here.

Cheers, Doc
Let me therefore begin with the first inaugural post in the new section

She decided she wanted to be in my bedroom. What can i say?

The Bicycles thread-img_20210722_125330_057.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:45   #6205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reduced the stem length however and it feels good. No back or shoulder pain.
That's what has happened. When you put the handlebar back into the new stem, it's again rotated upwards. Definitely looks that way in the photo.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:51   #6206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's what has happened. When you put the handlebar back into the new stem, it's again rotated upwards. Definitely looks that way in the photo.
Let me ride a bit more and see. And make micro adjustments. Else its just shooting in the air on my side.

The Bicycles thread-pxl_20210723_042032163.portrait.jpg
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:20   #6207
BHPian

I happened to dismantle my front derailleur and reassembled it but now unable to make it shift to the higher chainrings. Will have to probably take to a shop to get it adjusted. Watched a lot of videos and tried to fine tune it but irrespective of what I do I am unable to make it shift to the the higher chainrings.

Another question I had which probably got missed out as there was a page break and many posts had been posted after my post as my posts are approved before being posted to group.

"Question to the experts. Is driving on the toughest gears most of the time result in chain stretch. I have a tendency of driving the bicycle at the toughest gears (3 in the front an 8 at the rear) even on slopes to try build my endurance.

I have till date driven around 1500 KM but feel that the chain has stretched. Do not have the tool to measure it. Is there a simpler way of checking it. The reason I think that the chain has stretched is because yesterday while cleaning the drivetrain I could see that the chain did not have a perfect fit in the largest (3rd gear) chainring."
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:05   #6208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
I happened to dismantle my front derailleur and reassembled it but now unable to make it shift to the higher chainrings. Will have to probably take to a shop to get it adjusted. Watched a lot of videos and tried to fine tune it but irrespective of what I do I am unable to make it shift to the the higher chainrings.

Another question I had which probably got missed out as there was a page break and many posts had been posted after my post as my posts are approved before being posted to group.

"Question to the experts. Is driving on the toughest gears most of the time result in chain stretch. I have a tendency of driving the bicycle at the toughest gears (3 in the front an 8 at the rear) even on slopes to try build my endurance.

I have till date driven around 1500 KM but feel that the chain has stretched. Do not have the tool to measure it. Is there a simpler way of checking it. The reason I think that the chain has stretched is because yesterday while cleaning the drivetrain I could see that the chain did not have a perfect fit in the largest (3rd gear) chainring."
The chain will definitely get stretched.

More worryingly your knees will get pummelled.

Low cadence high gear work on climbs once in a way is a good structured training to build strength.

But don't do it regularly.

Shift to easier gears and spin at a higher cadence. Your joints won't suffer, and your muscles won't fatigue as quickly.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:13   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
The chain will definitely get stretched.

More worryingly your knees will get pummelled.

Low cadence high gear work on climbs once in a way is a good structured training to build strength.

But don't do it regularly.

Shift to easier gears and spin at a higher cadence. Your joints won't suffer, and your muscles won't fatigue as quickly.
Probably will get my chain also checked when I am at the shop. Most likely I would be suggested to go for gear cable replacement and also chain replacement. What is the approx. cost I should anticipate for the above two replacements. Would preferably going for Shimano chain and it would be 8 speed.
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:35   #6210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Probably will get my chain also checked when I am at the shop. Most likely I would be suggested to go for gear cable replacement and also chain replacement. What is the approx. cost I should anticipate for the above two replacements. Would preferably going for Shimano chain and it would be 8 speed.
A KMC 8 speed chain costs 500 bucks. Cable outers about 300, maybe more now. Cables another 20 -300.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed