Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:51   #6211
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Some expert opinion needed on the tyre pressure. The printed range on the tyre says 65-100 psi. Currently I am keeping it at around 80 at the front and ~85 at the rear tyre. Is it alright, or should be higher/lower?
The Bicycles thread-img_9811.jpg

I have this annoying problem of the cable-rubbing in front creating scratches. Maybe will need to get some concealing stickers from Trek to cover it up.
The Bicycles thread-img_9809.jpg

During the mid-week ride yesterday…
The Bicycles thread-img_9778.jpg

And Strava says now I am a local legend
The Bicycles thread-file.jpeg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:07   #6212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Some expert opinion needed on the tyre pressure. The printed range on the tyre says 65-100 psi. Currently I am keeping it at around 80 at the front and ~85 at the rear tyre. Is it alright, or should be higher/lower?

I have this annoying problem of the cable-rubbing in front creating scratches. Maybe will need to get some concealing stickers from Trek to cover it up.
Use this link to calculate. Its pretty basic, and not very complicated like some others which require you to fill in a lot more data fields. Possibly the only data field you might need help with is the inner width of your rims and the type of tyre, both of which you will be able to get on the internet or from the shop that sold you your bike.

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

But depending on your weight and the size of the tyre and the age of the tyre, I would go higher, and maybe keep just a 5 max 10 psi safety buffer on top. For a fast road hybrid like yours, 90 psi is perfectly ok. I used to fill 5 psi less in front, but I've started filling the same front and rear now on my hybrid and 5 less in front on my CAAD.

For the cable rub, on my CAAD I'm lucky that most places where I get rub are black painted or anodized (headtube, frame near where the seatpost goes in, even the seatpost itself) so I simply use black insulation tape (electrical tape) which gets masked really well.

You can also get rubber cable protectors that are split and can be pressed on at the point where the cable rubs against your frame. But even with those, while the rub erosion will get slowed, eventually it too will wear your upper laquer and paint away to the base coat. So best to use the tape.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:11   #6213
BHPian

Quote:
The printed range on the tyre says 65-100 psi. Currently I am keeping it at around 80 at the front and ~85 at the rear tyre. Is it alright, or should be higher/lower?
It all depends on the type of surface you ride on and your personal preference. If the roads around your area are butter smooth, you can take to 100 psi. If they are paved with concrete blocks, you might want to keep it between 70-80.

My case. I keep 70 in the front and 80 in the rear. Once I played around by increasing both by 10 psi but I did not enjoy the ride. With lower psi, the speed got lower so I am sticking with 70/80.

Last edited by shipnil : 23rd July 2021 at 15:12.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:02   #6214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Use this link to calculate. Its pretty basic, and not very complicated like some others which require you to fill in a lot more data fields. Possibly the only data field you might need help with is the inner width of your rims and the type of tyre, both of which you will be able to get on the internet or from the shop that sold you your bike.
Thank you! I will check with the given URL. Need to find the inner width of the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
For a fast road hybrid like yours, 90 psi is perfectly ok. I used to fill 5 psi less in front, but I've started filling the same front and rear now on my hybrid and 5 less in front on my CAAD.
I will try with 90psi for the ride tomorrow morning; planning 60-75kms long-ish ride, depending on the weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
For the cable rub, on my CAAD I'm lucky that most places where I get rub are black painted or anodized (headtube, frame near where the seatpost goes in, even the seatpost itself) so I simply use black insulation tape (electrical tape) which gets masked really well.
Thank you, I will look at the insulation tape option. Those scratches are a bit annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It all depends on the type of surface you ride on and your personal preference. If the roads around your area are butter smooth, you can take to 100 psi. If they are paved with concrete blocks, you might want to keep it between 70-80.
Thank you! Mostly ride on good surfaces (as seen in the picture in my post above), along with a bit of pavements which connects different bike tracks. I venture out on main roads only during early mornings, or when there is minimum or no traffic.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:17   #6215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I will check with the given URL. Need to find the inner width of the rim.

I will try with 90psi for the ride tomorrow morning; planning 60-75kms long-ish ride, depending on the weather conditions.
The main thing is your weight. How much do you weigh?

There is a very nice standard curve that gives psi per body weight for given width of tyre. I think Michelin or Continental uses that.

Also pretty accurate. But on the end trial and error is a must for personal preference and balance between comfort, grip and puncture protection, as well as saving your runs and spokes during hard hits.

This one (most widely circulated) unfortunately only till 70 kilo rider weight.

The Bicycles thread-bertopresschartroadcc.jpg

This one at least goes till 82 kilo rider weight.

The Bicycles thread-o9wil.jpg

However, for heavier riders, always go to just short of the sidewall indicated pressure. So for 116 indicated max, fill till 110.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2021 at 17:44.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:55   #6216
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been filling the max indicated pressure of about 116 psi. Is that too much? Guess will do 110 tomorrow. Am a shade under 70 kgs. Tyre says min 87 and max 116.
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:24   #6217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The main thing is your weight. How much do you weigh?
However, for heavier riders, always go to just short of the sidewall indicated pressure. So for 116 indicated max, fill till 110.
My current weight is 87kg, so above the indicative numbers in the chart.

The tyres on the FX3 are pretty basic Bontrager H2 Comp (700 x 32c), and sidewall indicated range is 65-100 psi. So, by the logic mentioned above, I should be going say 90-95 psi?
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:27   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO, Eddy, Rehaan and the admin team.

I think this is a great move.

As the grand daddy of all Motorcycles, the Bicycles thread will hold pride of place here.

Cheers, Doc
Great move indeed. I was wondering why the thread had vanished from the Shifting gears section!

It would be epic though if we have a separate sub forum for bicycles. This thread has a gold mine of information that can be collated to host an entire wiki of sub-topics related to cycling.
itisravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:30   #6219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Great move indeed. I was wondering why the thread had vanished from the Shifting gears section!

It would be epic though if we have a separate sub forum for bicycles. This thread has a gold mine of information that can be collated to host an entire wiki of sub-topics related to cycling.
That would be great. Now that Bikeszone is long dead and migrated to Facebook for some sort of reincarnation.

With the number of guys getting back to cycling, the normal petrolhead tendencies of going anal and techie and extreme will assert themselves here too.

I can say that with personal experience. I don't do anything as a filler. I fo the whole hog. Deep dive.

We have the assurance of GTO and his team that when we start having more cycling threads we will get a separate sub forum too.

Though I'm still unclear how that will happen if we keep using this one as a catch all laundry bag.

It does make searching for topics already discussed multiple times quite cumbersome

There is some really good info here. Wish we could devise some way to sticky it ....

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2021 at 22:34.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 00:06   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Though I'm still unclear how that will happen if we keep using this one as a catch all laundry bag.

It does make searching for topics already discussed multiple times quite cumbersome

There is some really good info here. Wish we could devise some way to sticky it ....

Cheers, Doc
Absolutely! A sub-forum could help make search easier using Google. I am not sure if there is any cycling content from India that can be googled.
E.g: Red_Liner's buying experience could make a great thread. There was some good amount of discussion on purchase decision and technicalities and I am afraid all that is already lost in vastness of this thread.
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 05:13   #6221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Absolutely! A sub-forum could help make search easier using Google. I am not sure if there is any cycling content from India that can be googled.
E.g: Red_Liner's buying experience could make a great thread. There was some good amount of discussion on purchase decision and technicalities and I am afraid all that is already lost in vastness of this thread.
With ebonhos permission we could do one thing. I can ask the mods to move all those posts and answers to a separate thread about my buying experience. Guess that will then transform into a small ownership experience as well. Are folks okay with this?

Also ebonho, move chain lubing posts to a separate thread from here etc. I think if you scroll back just a few pages there are tons of separate topics that can be quickly moved out and created for better discussions. That will provide impetus to creating new threads as we go along.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th July 2021 at 05:16.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 05:22   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
With ebonhos permission we could do one thing. I can ask the mods to move all those posts and answers to a separate thread about my buying experience. Guess that will then transform into a small ownership experience as well. Are folks okay with this?

Also ebonho, move chain lubing posts to a separate thread from here etc. I think if you scroll back just a few pages there are tons of separate topics that can be quickly moved out and created for better discussions. That will provide impetus to creating new threads as we go along.
Yes bro I totally agree. Anyways it is your bike so you are the primary stakeholder. Advice is always free (unless you're a Consultant lol). But I must confess an inability to do the data mining and archival work that will be involved. Tedious and time consuming it will be ... though a search for Squirt could yield most in one result page
Old 24th July 2021, 05:32   #6223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes bro I totally agree. Anyways it is your bike so you are the primary stakeholder. Advice is always free (unless you're a Consultant lol). But I must confess an inability to do the data mining and archival work that will be involved. Tedious and time consuming it will be ... though a search for Squirt could yield most in one result page
I will have those two topics created by tomorrow

Am sure vb san can also contribute to this initial push. We can have a separate thread for maintaining the right tyre pressure for instance. One more for the right bike bags. List is endless

And your fav topic... Buying the right frame size lol!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 05:56   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will have those two topics created by tomorrow

Am sure vb san can also contribute to this initial push. We can have a separate thread for maintaining the right tyre pressure for instance. One more for the right bike bags. List is endless

And your fav topic... Buying the right frame size lol!
I do have a lot of posts on the ACT and how I've built her up over the years, one little piece here, one little piece there. Gearing. Used bike market and deals and how to go about it (Ninja). We have some great travel threads in Travelogues that kind of get lost there which vould be migrated. Lights. Essentials for a new biker. Cycle wear.

And the most popular, I am coming back to cycling after xx tears, I've put on xx kilos, I only want to cycle xx days/km for fitness, and yy km on the weekends, and I'm looking for a normal bike in zz budget. Which bike will be best for me.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th July 2021 at 06:02.
Old 24th July 2021, 08:41   #6225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Here you go!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/

--------

Did a 65km loop this morning, mostly on dedicated tracks and a bit on road (maybe around 10km).

The Bicycles thread-img_9832.png

The road segment was interesting. Early morning traffic was sparse and running good speeds was easy. I had two road bikes in front – a Trek Madone and a Specialized; I was keeping up with them for almost the whole duration on road (always feel safe to follow a group when on road), but it was a hard task even with my bike running on the highest gear. Still have to say, the FX3 is indeed a superstar for its price and ability

The Bicycles thread-img_9820.jpg

Maybe a basic question - what does these zones means?
It says 47.5% on Zone 3 Tempo, 40% on Zone 2 Moderate, 10.5% on Zone 3 Threshold, and 2% on Zone 1 Endurance.

The Bicycles thread-img_9831.png

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th July 2021 at 08:47.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks