Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 11:26   #6241
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Dear Friends,

Sharing with you my latest Video on Maintenance & Service aspect of the bicycle.

Buying a Bicycle in this day and age is quite an easy task.
Its as easy as procuring any House-hold / Daily Grocery from a Grocery Store or any Neighborhood Store.

But when it comes to maintenance, most of the buyers are not serious about that or it gets ignored most of the time.
This is what exactly happened to the Bicycle which is featured in this video.
This was lying unused for a year and was in a Dire need of Servicing & Repairing.

Just see the transformation of this Bicycle & Enjoy the Video.
And, Watch video till then end. You will get some expert advise & tips as well.

Hope, you guys like the Video.

Link to the Video:

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 26th July 2021 at 11:29.
Old 26th July 2021, 11:37   #6242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Technically yes. But if your stop screws are set correctly, the chain can never come off. So redundant. Amateur. Ugly. Screams noob. Like reflectors in your spokes.

But I want to keep it on there like how some people drive around their new car for 3 years with the seat plastics still on

Those reflectors are a life saver man!

Couple of years back, mates and I were on a ride to Orissa from Bangalore. Somewhere late into the night before we reached Puri (say about 10 pm), we were riding along a desolate single laner.

All of a sudden, we saw 2 lights making perfect circles ahead of us. Say about 250 meters. These two balls of light were circling in perfect unison and crossed the road. They looked like balls of fire.

Everything else was pitch dark. All we saw were these two balls of fire going across the road.

We cut speed - stunned out of our minds. We were in the middle of absolute no where, no houses, nothing near us. As we cut speed, my mate and I exchanged glances wondering what the hell we just saw.

It hit us both like an asteroid. I stopped by the side. He stopped next to me as well. And we both spontaneously combusted into heaps of laughter.

It was a guy riding a bicycle across the road. With the wheel reflectors.

Without those, there was no chance in hell we would have spotted the guy at the speeds we were doing (80-100) on that desolate stretch of a road.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 11:45   #6243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ps: vb san, pls have these posts moved to a dedicated bike lube thread. I have reported this post.
Saw the reported post. There are many posts in this thread which talks about this topic. If there is a starting post which is buried in this thread (say from doc) and subsequent posts to move are provided, we can look to consolidate and move as a separate thread.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 11:48   #6244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Saw the reported post. There are many posts in this thread which talks about this topic. If there is a starting post which is buried in this thread (say from doc) and subsequent posts to move are provided, we can look to consolidate and move as a separate thread.
Yup. I had responded to a question on what lube I used. And the discussion evolved from there. Most if not all posts will have the word Squirt in them.

Cheers, Doc
Old 26th July 2021, 11:49   #6245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. I had responded to a question on what lube I used. And the discussion evolved from there. Most if not all posts will have the word Squirt in them.

Cheers, Doc
You will need to scroll back, click the report button for all such posts and the mods will do what is needed.

Else everything stays here and we continue as before!
Old 26th July 2021, 13:30   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will need to scroll back, click the report button for all such posts and the mods will do what is needed.

Else everything stays here and we continue as before!
Honestly do not have the bandwidth for that. Said as much at the outset. If there is a dedicated thread will move my furure posting to that accordingly. But going back one by one to each post and reporting them individually ....
Old 26th July 2021, 13:33   #6247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly do not have the bandwidth for that. Said as much at the outset. If there is a dedicated thread will move my furure posting to that accordingly. But going back one by one to each post and reporting them individually ....
I agree. In which case I would think it is better to lock this thread for a while so all of us actively are forced to create new threads. Else this is just a fall back, and then oh, I didn't realise it until I wrote the post etc

There is no point in creating a sub forum if we don't actively encourage new threads there!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:19   #6248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
There is no point in creating a sub forum if we don't actively encourage new threads there!
Quote:
It's not an easy fix at all, even if one considers only self-posts only. Till now, everyone with anything to discuss had just one thread to post.

I'd rather suggest some of the regulars (us ) create threads aligned to our strengths/areas of focus and requote past posts later (or take mods help to move the posts) to that particular thread.

Most important of all to the majority newbie cyclist members is a What cycle thread to post their "what cycle can I get in 10k/20k" or "How do I decide between MTB or hybrid" kind of queries. Or easier fix is to rephrase this thread accordingly; I'm sure >50% of the posts are of such queries and responses.

@vb-san, does it really matter that the posts have to be moved in the order they were created? As in say one of us creates a new thread (say for e.g. on cycle cleaning/maintenance) with a fresh post, can historical posts on that topic be moved to that thread? That way many of us active regulars can keep reporting relevant posts over time than one person expected to do the same.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:45   #6249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. In which case I would think it is better to lock this thread for a while so all of us actively are forced to create new threads. Else this is just a fall back, and then oh, I didn't realise it until I wrote the post etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It's not an easy fix at all, even if one considers only self-posts only. Till now, everyone with anything to discuss had just one thread to post.

I'd rather suggest some of the regulars (us ) create threads aligned to our strengths/areas of focus and requote past posts later (or take mods help to move the posts) to that particular thread.

Most important of all to the majority newbie cyclist members is a What cycle thread to post their "what cycle can I get in 10k/20k" or "How do I decide between MTB or hybrid" kind of queries. Or easier fix is to rephrase this thread accordingly; I'm sure >50% of the posts are of such queries and responses.

@vb-san, does it really matter that the posts have to be moved in the order they were created? As in say one of us creates a new thread (say for e.g. on cycle cleaning/maintenance) with a fresh post, can historical posts on that topic be moved to that thread? That way many of us active regulars can keep reporting relevant posts over time than one person expected to do the same.
I've started a new Drivetrain / Chain Care, Cleaning and Lubrication thread and given vb-san a list of all posts in chronological order. He has currently deactivated the thread to make the migration, seamlessly.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th July 2021 at 14:47.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:48   #6250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If there is a dedicated thread will move my furure posting to that accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I'd rather suggest some of the regulars (us) create threads aligned to our strengths/areas of focus and requote past posts later (or take mods help to move the posts) to that particular thread.

Agree with the above. Now that there is a sub-forum for bicycles, brand new threads of various topics will be ideal, and take the discussions forward in those threads. If there is a specific (extremely useful) information which was provided in the current generic thread, the member can always provide a link reference to that post. It will be much cleaner that way rather than revisiting old posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
It will go by the date/timestamp and won’t be very clean

A thread on discussions on chain care, cleaning, lubrication etc. by Doc is in making. Thanks for providing the posts details.

Ownership threads, What Bike threads, Bike types, segments etc. can follow to make this is a repository of useful information.
Old 26th July 2021, 17:38   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
Now that there is a sub-forum for bicycles, brand new threads of various topics will be ideal, and take the discussions forward in those threads. If there is a specific (extremely useful) information which was provided in the current generic thread, the member can always provide a link reference to that post. It will be much cleaner that way rather than revisiting old posts.
+1. In case people are looking for broad categories for thread titles that you want to create content for, here is a list to draw inspiration from: (courtesy Wayback Machine archives of bikeszone)

The Bicycles thread-topics.png
itisravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 17:43   #6252
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note:

Please continue all the discussions on Drivetrain/chain care, related cleaning, lubrication etc. in the below thread. Related posts from this thread are also moved there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...brication.html

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th July 2021 at 17:46.
Old 26th July 2021, 17:49   #6253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note:

Please continue all the discussions on Drivetrain/chain care, related cleaning, lubrication etc. in the below thread. Related posts from this thread are also moved there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...brication.html
Very neatly spliced and done VB San. Kudos.

We have a neat addition to the Cycling sub forum. A very relevant one too coz even more than repairing punctures, this is one DIY skill every cyclist needs to learn quickly to have a smooth running bike for enjoyable rides.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:44   #6254

Does anyone know if riverside 120 is still available? I checked in 2 decathlons, it was not there. A friend said that it has been discontinued and he is having trouble getting parts also for his cycle.
Old 27th July 2021, 13:21   #6255
BHPian

Update: Saturday morning I saw that the Whitefield store had stock of the ROCKRIDER ST 30 in Large size. Went down there but sadly they were not assembled and could not test ride them. They also did not have the RC 100 Drop bar available.

Test rode the following inside the store and TBH it did not help
1. ROCKRIDER ST 30 Medium size : small for me, did not have the stock saddle but the colour is still gorgeous.
2. Rockrider ST-50 Large: Being the first time riding a geared cycle, spent most of my time figuring those out. Seems like that if I seriously look at ST-30, this should also be revisited since its a model higher up.
3. Rockrider ST520, Large: Maybe it wasn't setup for me correctly, but did not enjoy this

Basically, made no progress so far. Will need to go for a longer test ride some other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanpal View Post
Does anyone know if riverside 120 is still available? I checked in 2 decathlons, it was not there. A friend said that it has been discontinued and he is having trouble getting parts also for his cycle.
Shows as available on the website - at least in one of the Bangalore stores. https://www.decathlon.in/p/8389398/m...8389398&type=p

Most Viewed