Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 16:53   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Ordered a new pump from Amazon but I'm curious if I can make the pump for cars work for bicycles? I could always go out and refill but will prefer doing it at home.
Decathlon has this product on Decathlon App https://www.decathlon.in/qr/8543416/-1

It's a SCRADER to presta connector hose.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 17:18   #6272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Bhatt View Post
Have been travelling with a PPOF Foldie in my Kodiaq wherever I go just so that I have the bike handy. However, it is never quite settled back in the boot. There are these occasional brakes that make it wobble around. Is there a stand that anyone is aware of that can be used to stack a foldable cycle in the boot of a car so that it doesn’t roll around when the car is moving? Also, which is the best cycle lock that I can buy for a foldable cycle? Thanks in advance.
Since its PPOF foldable bike, you really don't need a stand here, in my view.

Try locking them with bungee cords to something fixed inside, like a handle or something. Or if you have access to last row seatbelts, that can also be used to lock the bike in position. For best results, try locking from 2 opposite directions, with bungee cords, it works best.

I carry my bikes, fully assembled with both wheels on, inside my Scorpio and it stays stable without any issues, I use a combination of seatbelts and bungee cords to lock my bikes in position, and they don't move a bit.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 17:40   #6273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post

I carry my bikes, fully assembled with both wheels on, inside my Scorpio and it stays stable without any issues, I use a combination of seatbelts and bungee cords to lock my bikes in position, and they don't move a bit.
Could you please post a pic of this setup?
Old 30th July 2021, 18:13   #6274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
narayanang76
Second the request for sharing an image and any additional pointers - we plan to take our cycles in our SCross in the coming months and were thinking of doing this exactly.
Old 30th July 2021, 18:50   #6275
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread-img_20181007_124730.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20181007_124737.jpg

In the front the rubber strap goes around (behind) the downtube and the metal hinge of the folded and flipped forward center seat, at the back the strap goes through the wheel around the rim and on the left the grab handle of the Storme, and on the right the frame of the right side folded up jump seat.

A third cycle too can easily be fitted between these two, protected on both sides by thick darris or rajais, or the center can hold the luggage of two riders driving to an event (out of town race or brevet).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:19   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Could you please post a pic of this setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Second the request for sharing an image and any additional pointers - we plan to take our cycles in our SCross in the coming months and were thinking of doing this exactly.
Attached pics:

When Its only one bike , no need to remove any wheels. In the pic, I have locked my bike only with the seatbelts from 2 sides, and it stays without any issues.

When we need to carry 2 bikes, then we need to remove the front wheels (I lock the bikes with bungee cords).

If we remove both wheels, I assume we can carry 3-4 bikes inside easily.

However, this is the case with cars with such height clearance inside. For cars with less height inside, its best to keep the bikes lying down sideways (with wheels removed, and avoid rear derailleur touching anything) then we can even carry one bike on top of the other with some blankets and cushions between the bikes to avoid scratches.

Cheers,
narayanang76
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20210730_184312.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img20200218wa0003.jpg  

narayanang76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:25   #6277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am taking my daughter to the showroom to decide on her bike – Verve 2 or Verve 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Your daughter has great taste. Verve 2 all the way. It looks radical man!

Never argue with a kid with a parent brain. They are wired different. And it's her bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Maybe a verve 3 low step is a logical midway, if that exists in the colour your daughter likes. At the end, I think she is going to use it and her choice is final
An update on this. Yesterday got an email from Trek showroom here that they got an update from Trek USA HQ that there is a massive delay in production, largely due to Shimano factory shutting down in Malaysia. The impact of production constraint is that the scheduled delivery of my daughter’s bike could be pushed to Dec ’21 or beyond. So took my girl this evening to the showroom to explore the options. They had a Verve 2 in Rage Red and Verve 3 is Quicksilver shade (both size M) in stock. She straight away rejected the red one but did a back-to-back test ride of both the bikes. Seeing the Silver color Verve 3, she was like ‘that’s actually not bad!’. And two rounds of riding, came back grinning and said, can you get me the silver one? The gear shifts are so easy, and I don’t want to wait for the black until December. Well, so got the Verve 3 home this evening. It costed around SGD 300 (INR 16,500) more than the 2, but we have a happy child at home

I rode the bike back home (around 12kms). Felt like an extremely comfortable bike, upright seating position, and really suitable for a relaxed ride whole day long!

Couple of mandatory pictures taken before the light faded off.

The Bicycles thread-img_9940.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_9942.jpg

Parked alongside mommy’s FX2.

The Bicycles thread-img_9943.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:58   #6278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nano takes a single 26 bike The Bicycles thread-img_20190210_091749.jpg
Baleno takes 3 with front wheels removed.

S Cross - Should be no fuss
silverado is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 20:43   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
An update on this.

So took my girl this evening to the showroom to explore the options. They had a Verve 2 in Rage Red and Verve 3 is Quicksilver shade (both size M) in stock. She straight away rejected the red one but did a back-to-back test ride of both the bikes. Seeing the Silver color Verve 3, she was like ‘that’s actually not bad!’. And two rounds of riding, came back grinning and said, can you get me the silver one? The gear shifts are so easy, and I don’t want to wait for the black until December. Well, so got the Verve 3 home this evening. It costed around SGD 300 (INR 16,500) more than the 2, but we have a happy child at home
Congratulations VB. Bike looks beautiful.

But I'm confused. I thought this was the radical design of the Verve 2 that we (and your daughter) liked and recommended.

Now you're saying it's the 3?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 03:04   #6280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations VB. Bike looks beautiful.

But I'm confused. I thought this was the radical design of the Verve 2 that we (and your daughter) liked and recommended.

Now you're saying it's the 3?
Thank you!

She wanted the black colour which was only available in Verve 2 but the next shipment was expected only in December, which is still a good 4 months away (and her school opens in mid-Aug). So took her to check the available options in person and seeing the 3 in person, the first reaction was 'oh this looks better than in pictures'. And riding the red Verve 2 and silver Verve 3 back-to-back sealed the deal for her. Not her first choice colour, but I think the availability, drivetrain, comfort, and the fact that its still the same design (low-step) probably swayed the decision.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:43   #6281
BHPian

Bad day today:

As luck would have it, had to abort today's ride just after some 5kms into the ride. I was eagerly looking forward for a decent 50 km ride on my road bike after the lockdown. And the culprit - a small piece of metal piercing my rear tire and causing a flat tire.

I am having almost new tires that covered some 600 kms, and a new tube. I even have tire liners installed for some puncture protection. Still the metal piece could win over all that and made me stop.

I was even carrying puncture kit, spare tube, pump, tire lever etc and I could fix the puncture and carry on, but my tire lever gave in easily. I couldn't remove my tires because of that.

Finally got into an auto and came back to starting point. Auto guy was decent and was helpful. Finally I fixed the puncture after reaching home.

Cheers
Narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 13:03   #6282
BHPian

Quote:
a small piece of metal piercing my rear tire and causing a flat tire.
I can feel your pain. I had the same misfortune just yesterday. After riding for some 8kms or so, I felt an unfamiliar and gradual increase in road roughness. Looked down and saw that the rear tires were running flat. Immediately stopped the bike and straightaway spotted an artistically curved, thin piece of metal wire, that managed to pierce the tire.

This was my first puncture, and it took a lot more time, than I care to admit, to fix it. This put a damper on my spirits, and even though I was able to change the tubes and resume, I just rode back home.
Will patch the tube in the evening and get the bike ready for Monday. Sigh!

PS: another coincidence, we both share the same name.
dragntailonfire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 14:10   #6283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad day today:

As luck would have it, had to abort today's ride just after some 5kms into the ride. I was eagerly looking forward for a decent 50 km ride on my road bike after the lockdown. And the culprit - a small piece of metal piercing my rear tire and causing a flat tire.

I am having almost new tires that covered some 600 kms, and a new tube. I even have tire liners installed for some puncture protection. Still the metal piece could win over all that and made me stop.

I was even carrying puncture kit, spare tube, pump, tire lever etc and I could fix the puncture and carry on, but my tire lever gave in easily. I couldn't remove my tires because of that.

Finally got into an auto and came back to starting point. Auto guy was decent and was helpful. Finally I fixed the puncture after reaching home.

Cheers
Narayanang76
Narayan bhai, an auro is in the destiny of every cyclist.

Some time or the other.

You know that!

Usually seeing the distances we cover, and the spiralling cost of auto fares, more often than not the auto is costlier than if you'd carried a spare tube.

Or bought better levers

Que sera sera.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 19:02   #6284
BHPian

Quote:
Narayan bhai, an auro is in the destiny of every cyclist

Usually seeing the distances we cover, and the spiralling cost of auto fares, more often than not the auto is costlier than if you'd carried a spare tube.

Or bought better levers

Que sera sera.

Cheers, Doc
Haha

Thanks Doc. I also feel these auto guys have some connections with cyclists, they still get a chance to carry some bikes.

Today I feel my destiny was not to ride, whatever ways I tried. I have never got a tire lever breaking experience. But I am thankful that the halt was within 5 kms distance, otherwise it could have been much worse for me to get a vehicle to carry us back to start point.

Cheers
Narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 20:08   #6285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha

Thanks Doc. I also feel these auto guys have some connections with cyclists, they still get a chance to carry some bikes.

Today I feel my destiny was not to ride, whatever ways I tried. I have never got a tire lever breaking experience. But I am thankful that the halt was within 5 kms distance, otherwise it could have been much worse for me to get a vehicle to carry us back to start point.

Cheers
Narayanang76
Bro twice I've hitched a ride on the highway, once in a mini bus 150+ km from Poona when my rear tyre had a blowout on a 600 BRM, in the day time, and once on a lorry in the dead of night just ahead of Satara about 90 km from Poona on a 400 BRM when in ripped the first 300 km and led the pack, and then felt so sleepy that I stopped by a dhabha and went to sleep on top of the still warm tandoor. Only to ve awoken by mosquitoes and barking dogs, totally cold and disoriented.

It's definitely an experience! Lol
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed