Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:22   #6301
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
What do you do to secure it when outside, carry a chain lock? Surely you guys take breaks...right?
I have one lock which I use to just secure the bikes that are parked outside our front door (picture below). Its relatively safe here but after someone flicked one of the lights from the bike, thought it is better not to take chances. I take the lock with me on long solo rides – pop it in a drawstring bag, and with around 675 gms weight, its easily manageable. And most of the time, I never get the lock out; at my usual cafes I can park the bike in sight while getting the coffee.

Will need to get one more of this for my girl's bike (when the school reopens in two weeks), but what used to be S$18 is now S$48 on Amazon!

The Bicycles thread-img_0057.jpg

On my previous bike, I used to roll it on the bike as a regular fixture (like how AutoIndian shared but noticed that it was impacting the paint job on the Scott.

The Bicycles thread-file2.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
In the picture below…
Is that the stock handlebar or you upgraded? It looks almost the length of a mountain bike handlebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit bike lock
I saw this in the store a couple of months back and it felt super heavy in hand

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd August 2021 at 13:27.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:56   #6302
BHPian

Quote:
Me too. Honestly I'm too much of a beginner to worry about few added grams.

I have read your INCREDIBLE Rajasthan travelogue and have wondered how did you manage to keep that Bianchi safe.
If anything touristy places have taught me to be always on guard for your valuables!
Thanks, amol4184! I took a chance at Mehrangarh fort and parked it alongside motorbikes. I did not have any problem at most of the places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hear it from me who has lost a Cannondale (in downtown Chicago) in spite of locking it to a pole and being away from the bike for a very short while. After that experience, along with my next bike purchase, I also invested in the same lock you are hearing about.

Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit bike lock

It's a massive 2 kilo U-lock that is more clunky and huge than what the image or the stats suggest. Please do buy one - I'd love to hear someone else go through that experience

My friend in Chicago had a similar U-lock (but of a cheaper brand) that he used to lock his bike to a stand outside his apartment. Thieves took away his tires, seat and anything they could get off his frame.

P.s. That lock was used probably once or twice at most since I purchased it back in 2015. I gave it away when I came back from the US.
Ouch! This discussion must have brought out lot of unhappy memories for you Ninja. I once parked my bike alongside motorbikes in a shopping mall only to find it missing when I returned. My heart just sank like coming down a giant wheel at a fair. I enquired all the security guards and they all replied "I don't know" with an "I don't care" face. I was running around and found it parked along with staffs bicycles in one corner. I left the place without creating a scene as I was happy to find my bike.

A 2kg lock is a lot to lug around even for someone like me who rides slightly faster than walking. It could be useful for someone who do not have a place to park the bike inside the house.
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:02   #6303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Thanks, amol4184! I took a chance at Mehrangarh fort and parked it alongside motorbikes. I did not have any problem at most of the places.

Ouch! This discussion must have brought out lot of unhappy memories for you Ninja. I once parked my bike alongside motorbikes in a shopping mall only to find it missing when I returned. My heart just sank like coming down a giant wheel at a fair. I enquired all the security guards and they all replied "I don't know" with an "I don't care" face. I was running around and found it parked along with staffs bicycles in one corner. I left the place without creating a scene as I was happy to find my bike.

A 2kg lock is a lot to lug around even for someone like me who rides slightly faster than walking. It could be useful for someone who do not have a place to park the bike inside the house.
Ah it's been quite a while so that's been laid to rest more or less.

To be honest, I find the Indian landscape a lot safer. Things haven't gone that bad that bikes get picked up in a whisk. The cities of London, New York, Chicago and a few more European metros are a lot worse on that metric. Our cities are far better, and the rural setup much much better; as long as we keep some basic checks in place.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:13   #6304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, really!? I will try to open my cable lock without a key when I am back home.
The quick release mechanism haven't caught up with the masses yet so we are safe there for saddles and wheels.
I once lost my bike comp when parked in an IT park in Whitefield, Bangalore. The thief didn't know that a simple twist can remove it so he broke it!

There is something called a Kryptonite bike lock which is considered safe out of all locks in the market.
Try upening a cable lock with the key of any other cable lock. Not even Decathlon to Decathlon. And try vice versa using your key on another cable lock.

Then use the small keys of a Bullet tool box.

Then use the small keys of suitcases (VIP, etc).

Then use the small keys of Studds fiber boxes for motorcycles.

Then try the small keys of theose round press in type cabinet locks.

They all work on each other. The day the realization popped, I actually tried all small keys I had access to. Each time the lock snapped open.

With the scissors or nail file you need to fiddle a bit if you are not a pro.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd August 2021 at 14:20.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:24   #6305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Try upening a cable lock with the key of any other cable lock. Not even Decathlon to Decathlon. And try vice versa using your key on another cable lock.

Then use the small keys of a Bullet tool box.

Then use the small keys of suitcases (VIP, etc).

Then use the small keys of Studds fiber boxes for motorcycles.

Then try the small keys of theose round press in type cabinet locks.

They all work on each other. The day the realization popped, I actually tried all small keys I had access to. Each time the lock snapped open.

With the scissors or nail file you need to fiddle a bit if you are not a pro.

Cheers, Doc
https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story/...373-2017-02-18
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:34   #6306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol please man. The best way to catch a thief is to get into his mind and know his craft. Also the best way to protect your belongings.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:47   #6307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lol please man. The best way to catch a thief is to get into his mind and know his craft. Also the best way to protect your belongings.
haha, true! This is interesting though. I will try fooling around with few keys in the home.
As they say- No matter how big the door's lock is, the thief will always enter through the window.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 17:05   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is that the stock handlebar or you upgraded? It looks almost the length of a mountain bike handlebar
That handlebar is stock one, didn't do any mods. May be the angle of the picture and also the mirror extension is making it appear big that it actually is.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:26   #6309
BHPian

Quote:
I used Kryptonite chain which was a good 5 kg or more. Their U locks are also popular but don't think they can withstand abuse like that of those chains.
True, their Evolution Chain lock (not Fahgettaboudit) is one of the locks which the lockpickinglawyer uses. He rarely makes recommendations, so it must be something. In any case, "locks are for honest people" as the proverb goes.
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:54   #6310
BHPian

Can somebody advice -

I really like the Rockrider ST20 26" frame and finally decided to buy it, I drove down to Decathlon enthusastically to buy.
I was told by the sales staff that the weight carrying capacity of this cycle is only 80kgs !! (I'm the unhealthy side of 20kgs over that ) I was told on the long run the rim would bend as these are strictly utilitarian and basic. He told me 27.5" is the best size for me as I'm also 6'1.
Is there a weight carrying limit that cycles carry that is almost never found on the tech specs ? Is there a way to find out what is the load carrying capacity of cycles ?

I'm not a big fan of geared cycles and this single speed clean design really caught my attention.
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:29   #6311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Can somebody advice
No idea on the technical specifications wrt to weight, but I started out on my first bike with a rock rider (basic mtb offering), back then I was about 95 and 5’10. 7 years later, that bike is still up and running (although hardly being used).

Check on the frame size wrt your height. For me L size was just barely enough. You should probably fit for XL, after evaluating/trying it in person of course.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:05   #6312
BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody advice -

I really like the Rockrider ST20 26" frame and finally decided to buy it, I drove down to Decathlon enthusastically to buy.
I was told by the sales staff that the weight carrying capacity of this cycle is only 80kgs !! (I'm the unhealthy side of 20kgs over that ) I was told on the long run the rim would bend as these are strictly utilitarian and basic. He told me 27.5" is the best size for me as I'm also 6'1.
Is there a weight carrying limit that cycles carry that is almost never found on the tech specs ? Is there a way to find out what is the load carrying capacity of cycles ?
Go with what the Decathlon sales guy suggest reg this, as mostly they have that information and they may have experience coming back from users also (maybe the case with lower end models they have).

Also suggest in case any other brand you are looking at, please have the weight aspect checked for them too.

Simple thing like breaking wheel spokes, bent wheels could be common due to weight issue, additionally even some frame damages.

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:54   #6313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody advice -

I'm not a big fan of geared cycles and this single speed clean design really caught my attention.
Like the others I do not know the specific payload capacity of the model you are looking at nor could I find it on a search.

In the absence of specific information, General pointers for guys over 100 kilos, and especially those north of 110-120 kilos -

1) Steel frame

2) Steel rims

3) More spokes. Preferably 36. Even 32 might be too little.

4) Wider tyres would help with the bigger air cushion

5) A solid axle with bolts would be stronger than alloy quick release skewers and hollow axles.

6) 26 inch wheels are stronger than 27.5 (650B) which are stronger than 700c wheels. Most around the world tour guys choose 26 inchers even on their road/gravel/tourers. Those size tyres are also the most widely available around the world in the remotest places when in an emergency.

7) Don't bother with shock absorbers please. Rigid everything is the way to go.

In summary, an entry level steel rigid fork hardtail MTB from a reputed brand would be your safest bet. There are tons out there. Single speeders as well.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Please don't buy a fat bike even if some shopkeeper tries to con you that it is the final solution for you.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd August 2021 at 18:01.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 18:28   #6314
BHPian

Thanks a TON ! That's a plethora of information synonymous with Team BHP.

I'm going to review all these points and finalize the bike.

Again,thank you, Much Appreciated.
Old 4th August 2021, 02:09   #6315
Distinguished - BHPian

Is anyone using the MI portable air compressor for their cycles?

There's a thread for it and a few references on the portable air compressor thread too but raising this question here for cyclists to answer. Wondering if this handles both schrader & presta valves easily.

I have the old-school metal foot pump but wondering this might be a nice handy tool to have in the house. (damn - one more accessory!)

Most Viewed