Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 18:11   #6376
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

HERO Thunder is the most underrated bicycle in India. I have one as well. All aluminium frame. Excellent riding dynamics. Overall great, for the price
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
This Hero Thunder has seen more iterations than makes sense. I have tried 700c wheels with 23mm tires and calliper brakes and full road bike set up. I have tried fixed gear setup. I have ridden it with bull horn bars and track drop bars. And finally, now I have decided that it makes most sense to use it with 26 inch wheels, 1.5 inch / 37mm tires, cantilever brakes and a 2X9 standard chainring setup.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 18:17   #6377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Ralson 25c (rated to 116 psi)

GRL 25c (just launched - no idea about the psi rating yet)
Doc
Doc could you please list the dealers who stock Ralson and GRLs in Pune?
Old 17th August 2021, 18:32   #6378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Hero Thunder has seen more iterations than makes sense. I have tried 700c wheels with 23mm tires and calliper brakes and full road bike set up. I have tried fixed gear setup. I have ridden it with bull horn bars and track drop bars. And finally, now I have decided that it makes most sense to use it with 26 inch wheels, 1.5 inch / 37mm tires, cantilever brakes and a 2X9 standard chainring setup.

The wheels though, the Decathlon Rockrider wheels are terribly heavy- just the front wheel with 26X1.5 Serfas Drifter tire and tube weighs a full 2 kgs. Considering lighter wheels. As things stand now, with the mudguards, the toolbag, the pump and the mudguard, the bicycle weighs in at over 14 kgs. As a result, I struggle to average 27-28 kmph over my 30 km loop.

But I have to admit, it handles very neutrally. Very predictably. Not twitchy, not sluggish. So, it is a conversion worth considering.
Some photos of the various iterations would be really nice.

I've ridden the Thunder when it was launched. I seriously would have doubted it was less than 15 kilos. By heft only. Bone stock. Never actually weighed it.

First gen Indian alloy bike. Was a quantum leap for us cyclists in 2001-2002 used to 19 kilo steel MTBs till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Same Phadke Haud guys. Surana etc.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th August 2021 at 18:49.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:24   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend (whose bike and wheel it is in the photos) got the Ralsons online though. 650 bucks for one.
Old 17th August 2021, 21:01   #6380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ralson 25c (rated to 116 psi)
Once you move on to these, do share your feedback after you have done a bit on them. A fellow cyclist I rode with mentioned he had Ralsons on his other cycle and they have lasted decently well over the last few years. Not in the league of the Schwalbe he has on his road bike, but still decent enough (as per him).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:07   #6381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Once you move on to these, do share your feedback after you have done a bit on them. A fellow cyclist I rode with mentioned he had Ralsons on his other cycle and they have lasted decently well over the last few years. Not in the league of the Schwalbe he has on his road bike, but still decent enough (as per him).
Actually if I have a choice and the GRLs are rated for pressure 100 psi or above I will not go for Ralsons at all. I've been riding on GRLs and I find them very good. Lot of guys here rate them at a much higher level to Ralsons.

I've ridden on GRL 23c's for thousands of kilometres with less than a handful of punctures. Maybe 2-3 that I can remember.

After that I've used them as my indoor trainer tyres for most of past year and a couple of months this year at the start of the second wave as well. One has started bubbling. The other still has a way to go.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th August 2021 at 21:27.
Old 18th August 2021, 06:38   #6382
BHPian

Quote:
Fret not boys, two decent Indian tyres available for road bikes now. As a long term user of Indian rubber (not in any kinky sense)
Cheers, Doc
Thanks for the clarification, Doc . These do seem like a good replacement option atleast for immediate needs, considering shortage of imported tyre brands. Would you be able to find out from your friend, which website these were ordered.

I am at present running 25c tyres on my roadie and I was looking for wider tyres like 28c / 30c. I don't think my bike's frame will allow for wider tyres than these numbers, as clearance will be an issue.

Cheerio!
Old 18th August 2021, 09:25   #6383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Doc . These do seem like a good replacement option atleast for immediate needs, considering shortage of imported tyre brands. Would you be able to find out from your friend, which website these were ordered.

I am at present running 25c tyres on my roadie and I was looking for wider tyres like 28c / 30c. I don't think my bike's frame will allow for wider tyres than these numbers, as clearance will be an issue.

Cheerio!
Flipkart

Take a look at this RALSON 700 * 25c Tyre For City Bike Tyre with Side Grooves for Stable Cornering for on Flipkart

He says, after running them in some, and I quote -

" Comfort mast, rolling is good. Grip is awesome. Tough tyres. Much more than expected. "

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2021 at 21:40. Reason: Link fixed
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:12   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Some photos of the various iterations would be really nice.

I've ridden the Thunder when it was launched. I seriously would have doubted it was less than 15 kilos. By heft only. Bone stock. Never actually weighed it.

First gen Indian alloy bike. Was a quantum leap for us cyclists in 2001-2002 used to 19 kilo steel MTBs till then.

Cheers, Doc
Hmm okay. I do have photographs of some of the iterations. Here are four.
The Bicycles thread-thor-1-img346_27850984424_o.jpg
Starting with the 700c single speed version,

The Bicycles thread-thor-2-img_20161113_083522_30647682500_o.jpg
The one by 26inch wheel bull horn version, with the bar end shifter.

The Bicycles thread-thor-3-img_20190914_074921.jpg
The single speed compact drop handlebar version

The Bicycles thread-thor-4-img_20200112_121056.jpg
The repainted 2X9 drop handlebarred version that I am riding during this monsoon. Actually, at present I do not have the stem height extender and I have a shorter stem.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 18th August 2021 at 14:14.
prabuddhadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:27   #6385
Senior - BHPian

No
Quote:
Hmm okay. I do have photographs of some of the iterations. Here are four.
Attachment 2194880
Starting with the 700c single speed version,

Attachment 2194881
The one by 26inch wheel bull horn version, with the bar end shifter.

Attachment 2194882
The single speed compact drop handlebar version

Attachment 2194883
The repainted 2X9 drop handlebarred version that I am riding during this monsoon. Actually, at present I do not have the stem height extender and I have a shorter stem.
Brilliant mods Prabuddha. Loved the photos and the smaller details. Thanks for sharing.

Like me with my ACT you must really love this bike to have spent a lot more than its purchase price on it over the years. Those pedals and that Deda drop bar (sacrificed for the bull horn) itself I think cost more than the Thunder did. Not to mention the bar end shifters and other stuff.

I wanted to ask you about the stem height extender. Without it, wont the drop to the handlebar from your saddle position be too aggressive?

This is my current ACT flatbar setup. What would be the simplest way to convert her into a drop bar bike?

The Bicycles thread-img_20210806_1611442.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 14:47.
Old 18th August 2021, 14:59   #6386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, is the pull ratio of the brifters compatible with the cantilever brakes or did you have to do some mod to make it work?

Cheers, Doc
Old 18th August 2021, 15:41   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Would you be able to find out from your friend, which website these were ordered.
Quote:
Flipkart
Doc, the reason I always ask you the stores and not assume Phadke Haud is because I stay in PCMC and hope the store might be nearer to me.

Anyways, my ACT needed a second new tyre in the span of two months, so I visited a store closer to me who stocks Ralsons. The 700x35c cost me 530. I enquired for GRL but he said he doesn't stock it anymore.

He also has stock of Ralson 700x25c and he quoted 550 for it which is cheaper than Flipkart.

Last edited by shipnil : 18th August 2021 at 15:44.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:46   #6388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, the reason I always ask you the stores and not assume Phadke Haud is because I stay in PCMC and hope the store might be nearer to me.

Anyways, my ACT needed a second new tyre in the span of two months, so I visited a store closer to me who stocks Ralsons. The 700x35c cost me 530. I enquired for GRL but he said he doesn't stock it anymore.

He also has stock of Ralson 700x25c and he quoted 550 for it which is cheaper than Flipkart.
Last 2 months of base building I have passed PCMC on the old highway regularly (I love that road). We should meet up!

In fact the photos of the two gents with the matching blue ACTs, they too are both from PCMC.

I'm VERY tempted to now convert my ACT into a drop bar monsoon / everyday / every road / training bike with 28c or max 30c tyres.

Could you ask your store guy if he has any Ralsons (or other Indian make) in these sizes please?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 15:49.
Old 18th August 2021, 16:26   #6389
BHPian

Quote:
Also, is the pull ratio of the brifters compatible with the cantilever brakes or did you have to do some mod to make it work?

Cheers, Doc
Hey thanks for the nice comments.

Well, to be fair, I usually have a few parts lying around in my parts bin, and not all the parts you see were bought specifically for use on this bike. I keep swapping parts between my bicycles. It starts with a What if... and ends up with lots of cables being cut, chains being shortened or lengthened and the like.

Cantilever brakes, unlike V brakes work with regular calliper brake levers. So there is no modification required there.

About the stem extender, yes it does result in a pretty aggressive drop, though when I am riding the bike, I don't feel at all uncomfortable. Actually, because of its weight, this bike benefits the most from myself adopting as aero a position as I can, to sort of, counteract the effect of the weight as I climb flyovers.

EDIT: By the way, those were bought as bull horn bars and not drop bars cut down.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 18th August 2021 at 16:31.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:44   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for the nice comments.

Cantilever brakes, unlike V brakes work with regular calliper brake levers. So there is no modification required there.

EDIT: By the way, those were bought as bull horn bars and not drop bars cut down.
Nice info on the cantilever brakes.

So essentially, were I to use the standalone brake levers with the hoods that you have, on a drop bar on my ACT, I would not be able to make them work on my V brakes, and would need to get road bike type rim brake callipers as well? And probably extended reach too, for the shoes to contact with the braking strip of the rims, when attached to the central frame and fork holes.

Yes I noticed later that the flat part of the horns was too long and straight to be a drop bar cut mod.

Any other advice for converting my ACT into a functional drop bar with the least amount of mods, changes, new parts?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 16:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks