Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 19:30   #6451
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
All of these rims can happily take 23c racing slicks without any issue.

Whenever you get the opportunity to take your tyre off of your rim, check the internal width ... it will either be 17 or 19 or 21 mm. Based on that Gordon Brown has a really nice chart about the minimum and maximum tyre sizes that you can mount safely.
My bike wheel had this sticker (picture below) that says 622 x 17. And on my wife's bike it says 622 x 20. Maybe that 17, 20 denotes the rim internal width? My bike tyres are 32c whereas the FX2 is fitted with 35c.

The Bicycles thread-img_1085.jpg
Old 10th September 2021, 20:09   #6452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
My bike wheel had this sticker (picture below) that says 622 x 17. And on my wife's bike it says 622 x 20. Maybe that 17, 20 denotes the rim internal width? My bike tyres are 32c whereas the FX2 is fitted with 35c.

Attachment 2205349
Yes that's right. For the roads you are riding in your photos, 23c or 25c would be perfect. 28c if you feel you lack the confidence or want something softer.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 23:52   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren_P1 View Post
Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a gravel bike - would you know of good recommendations in under 50k INR? Thanks a lot for the advice.
I'm planning on selling my Marin Four Corners. Let me know if you're still interested. I'm based out of Pune too.
Old 11th September 2021, 06:51   #6454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I'm planning on selling my Marin Four Corners. Let me know if you're still interested. I'm based out of Pune too.
Wow, from what i have read it is a lovely bike. What are you planning on getting next?

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th September 2021 at 06:53.
Old 11th September 2021, 09:40   #6455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes that's right. For the roads you are riding in your photos, 23c or 25c would be perfect. 28c if you feel you lack the confidence or want something softer.
Thank you! Or maybe I keep the FX3 with the stock 32c tyres – not too wide, and comfortable for the family rides with my wife/daughter, or neighborhood trips. The FX3 is a wonderful machine, but the problem I found on long rides (like the one this morning) is that I was running out of gears a few times.

I have asked friendly sales guy at Trek to give me a call when they have an Émonda in my size available for a test ride. The alloy frame/carbon fork Émonda ALR5 comes with 25c tyres as stock and weighs around 9kg. In comparison, the Domane AL5 comes with 32c tyres and weighs around 10kg. The Domane’s riding position was sweet; just wanted to see if the Émonda’s geometry works for me. Otherwise, price and components are pretty much same on both bikes.

I am taking the Checkpoint out of the options – the more I think of it, a gravel road bike with 40c tyres is probably not my thing as of now
Old 11th September 2021, 09:45   #6456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Wow, from what i have read it is a lovely bike. What are you planning on getting next?
Yes, it is a phenomenal bike. There isn't anything else like it. I'm considering selling it off since I've always wanted to have a road bike and I don't have the space to store two bikes at home. Leaving one in the parking lot is asking for trouble. My friend is planning on selling his Trek road bike and I'm in two minds on what to do. I run more often than I bike and long distance rides are becoming more and more infrequent. A road bike suits my use case much better than a gravel one. Dilemma!
Old 11th September 2021, 10:11   #6457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A road bike suits my use case much better than a gravel one. Dilemma!
My advice - don't get too much pulled into such conversations. Evaluate each option with an open mind and go for the bike that you like when riding. Especially now you are plonking a lot of cash, more important to be clear on it.

Some years ago when I was evaluating road bike options, endurance frames were the in-thing. Had mentally made my mind to go for a Trek Domane 2.0 or a Specialized Secteur Elite or Cannondale Synapse - all (endurance bikes and) available at excellent discounted prices. Especially the Secteur was available a mouth-watering 50% off msrp price.

When I test-rode the bikes for decent distances, the Trek Madone and other racing geometry bikes suited me much more even though I hardly race. I eventually bought a non-endurance frame bike which blew away other options even though I paid a ransom for it; and I still find more suitable till date (at times even more than the hybrid I use).

As for trail/gravel riding, I have puncture proof tires (25c) that do the job in most of the on-ground scenarios. Plus the hybrid is always there.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:33   #6458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is a phenomenal bike. There isn't anything else like it. I'm considering selling it off since I've always wanted to have a road bike and I don't have the space to store two bikes at home. Leaving one in the parking lot is asking for trouble. My friend is planning on selling his Trek road bike and I'm in two minds on what to do. I run more often than I bike and long distance rides are becoming more and more infrequent. A road bike suits my use case much better than a gravel one. Dilemma!
Weird. Wouldn't a road bike be more a "long distance" use me every weekend kinda bike? I would think a road bike is a more serious commitment to cycling than a gravel bike.

Actually, if you don't intend to be a serious cyclist (and only focus on running), that gravel bike is the best fit. Paddle around everywhere in comfort, explore trails, do some road to get there etc. It would probably also help in active recovery after your training.

Maybe you should think this out a little...

The only single downside i see on that gravel bike and most other gravel bikes is the weight. 3-4 kgs more than a comparable road bike is quite a lot.

Have i started giving advice already here? Such is the internet!

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th September 2021 at 13:34.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 16:06   #6459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Weird. Wouldn't a road bike be more a "long distance" use me every weekend kinda bike? I would think a road bike is a more serious commitment to cycling
This would be true if I only rode on the highways. But I rarely did. I usually used to ride on broken, dirt filled backroads around the Western ghats of Pune. However, over the recent past all I've done is ride on City roads and some highways. The road bike is far more efficient and fun on these surfaces. The gravel with its extra weight, disc brakes and fat tires is not much fun on tarred roads especially when it's sunny and hot outside. I might still explore 32c tires but it's impossible to get a hold of them in today's market
Old 11th September 2021, 16:25   #6460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This would be true if I only rode on the highways. But I rarely did. I usually used to ride on broken, dirt filled backroads around the Western ghats of Pune. However, over the recent past all I've done is ride on City roads and some highways. The road bike is far more efficient and fun on these surfaces. The gravel with its extra weight, disc brakes and fat tires is not much fun on tarred roads especially when it's sunny and hot outside. I might still explore 32c tires but it's impossible to get a hold of them in today's market
Now I agree with you. That extra weight was also what put me off gravel bikes.
Old 12th September 2021, 14:20   #6461
BHPian

Bikers,
Need your help. I am a 6 feet male aged 38 and living in Hyderabad. I have a passion for cycling and currently using Mach City Munich Hybrid 19 inch frame (gearless).
I have good stamina and cover 30 kms daily and 60 kms on weekends at 17-19 kmph average speed.

I was told that gearless bikes impact the knees . So I get down whenever there is a slope and walk the cycle. I realised I need to upgrade to a Road bike WITH gears.

1. Based on the discussions on this thread, I shortlisted Scott Speedster, Polygon, Triban. No road cycles are available in Hyderabad. Everything is out of stock. How and where o buy?

2. How to select the right frame size?

3. Does import work ? I have close friends in Singapore/Bangkok.

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 12th September 2021 at 14:21. Reason: spell
Old 12th September 2021, 18:59   #6462
Senior - BHPian

This guy could be our vey own Eric. Love his philosophy! Don't do it right. Just get it running.

ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 20:53   #6463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This guy could be our vey own Eric. Love his philosophy! Don't do it right. Just get it running.

https://Youtu.be/u8aoLZKF2rQ
Indeed seems to be a man after my own heart, will have to check out his other vids.

I've seen a LOT of stalled projects - cars, bikes, whatever - over the years. Things can get complex and de-motivating when idealism and perfect plans are held too tightly to. Unless of course that is particularly what makes someone tick, and they're highly persistent / determined.

I never had a perfect or 95+% completed vehicle, but ALL of my couple dozen old cars/bikes got at least to the point where they would take me down the road.

(On that note, just got back from a satisfying 600km ride through the hills on our raggedy (but mechanically very solid) old Machismo. Will post pics there on that thread soon, I hope).

Seems to be turning out the same with cycles, and I'm indeed enjoying it.

Thanks Doc.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:13   #6464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Indeed seems to be a man after my own heart, will have to check out his other vids.

Thanks Doc.

-Eric
You might like to give oldshovel a checkout too.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th September 2021, 10:17   #6465
BHPian

Almost time to change my Signature.

Introducing Van Rysel Ultra CF 105, with some custom mods, upgrades.

All these while, I was riding bikes with Aluminum frame and its my first time getting into Carbon Frame. I hope I will be able to do justice to this bike.

And I wasnt looking for a bike change or upgrade, but as luck would have it, the planetary alignment happens and such things come true. Bike Availability, with suitable price, willingness to upgrade some components, home minster's nod, and timing couldnt have been better.

So far did 2 X 50 KM rides on it, and I am trying to get used to the bike. Initial impression has been that the bike is Agile, responsive and rider gets less feel of road vibrations.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20210911_084912.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20210911_084822.jpg  

Last edited by narayanang76 : 13th September 2021 at 10:20.
narayanang76 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks