Old 22nd October 2021, 14:17   #6587
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Eric @ringoism
@ninjatalli
@shipnil
@papr23

Breaking (for me at least ) news!

The Ralson 700c (622) road tyres are coming in 28c as well (and maybe 32c also ...).

The Bicycles thread-img20211022wa0023.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20211022wa0022.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20211022wa0024.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:30   #6588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
New bike alert!
To add a bit more on this.

Last couple of weekends I was spending on a new / second bike search. Hanging around various bike shops was fun, but the lack of options/size availability was quite frustrating. Trek called me with good news that a new ALR5 is on transit, but only to follow-up with the bad news that its two size smaller. And next lot expected around March/April 2022. I had this keen urge to get a second bike, and the shop visits were as follows:
  • Stop 1, last Friday – Scott/Felt: Just a few units in smaller sizes available. They called me later to pass on the good news that 2022 lot of Scott Addict 30 / Speedster 10 will arrive in June 2022!
  • Stop 2, last Friday – Giant: They had a Fastroad Advanced 2, almost a carbon frame flatbar roadbike with Tiagra derailleurs, but the other components felt pretty pedestrian for that price.
  • Stop 3, last Saturday – Orbea/Cannondale: They had a beautiful ORBEA ORCA M30 available but a size bigger. And the next lot coming in was 2022 model, which was a whopping 575 SGD more than the outgoing model. At SGD 4320 (around 2.25 lakhs INR), that felt super expensive.
  • Stop 4, Tuesday – Specialized: Almost blank showroom, only a couple of road bikes in sizes 47, 49, and one Sirrus X 3.0 was available in my size. Imposing machine with good geometry, but with 700mm handlebar and 700x42c tyres – more suited for Gravel riding with Deore 1x10 gear set. It was quite an appealing though.
  • Stop 5, yesterday (Thursday) – BMC: Found a reseller of BMC online, so dropped by to check their options. They had a BMC TEAMMACHINE ALR Two in stock, brilliant bike with Aluminium frame / carbon fork and 105 groupset and just around 9kg heavy, but the display unit was slightly damaged in transit and the friendly shop guy’s recommendation was not to take it and wait for the 2022 model to arrive next year.

Just when I was about to leave the shop, saw this black bike with unusually long seat post, got the guy to bring it down just to have a look. A walkaround, short test ride and 30 mins later I was riding the bike back home. The road bike plan I believe will probably materialize sometime in 2022!

Effectively, the Alpenchallenge falls in the same hybrid category as the Trek FX3, but somehow felt super sporty in comparison. The FX3 is extremely competent, it is more of a zen-like experience – reasonably fast and nimble, and super relaxed (almost like Lexus in the car world). The BMC felt more of a hooligan in comparison. The drivetrain 2x9 Sora felt more eager than the 2x9 Altus/Alivio combination on the Trek. And the bike gains speed much faster, probably due to tyre profile?

Full specifications here – BMC Alpenchallenge THREE 2021

Some more pictures (click on the image to open in a new window with full resolution):

The Bicycles thread-img_2149.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2150.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2157.jpg

All Shimano components - drivetrain, brakes, and everything. The pedals are pretty pedestrian, may change that in the near future.

The Bicycles thread-726d06a2590d461dbc30186618f4aa3d.jpg

Tall seat post and quite different riding position compared to the FX3. Took a while to get used to.

The Bicycles thread-img_2160.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2162.jpg

And the saddle is a bit hard, will need some time to get used to

The Bicycles thread-img_2168.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2169.jpg

Unlike the Trek, the cables are externally routed, but neatly tucked under the down tube.

The Bicycles thread-img_2166.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2167.jpg

Tyres are Continental Contact Speed, 700x 35mm

The Bicycles thread-img_2163.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_2164.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd October 2021 at 14:34.
vb-saan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:53   #6589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Effectively, the Alpenchallenge falls in the same hybrid category as the Trek FX3, but somehow felt super sporty in comparison. The FX3 is extremely competent, it is more of a zen-like experience – reasonably fast and nimble, and super relaxed (almost like Lexus in the car world). The BMC felt more of a hooligan in comparison. The drivetrain 2x9 Sora felt more eager than the 2x9 Altus/Alivio combination on the Trek. And the bike gains speed much faster, probably due to tyre profile?
Lovely bike VB. Congratulations! Its definitely at least a couple of steps up from your Trek.

So are you letting the Trek go? It really doesn't make any sense to have two near identical bikes, now that you've effectively scratched the second bike (N+1) itch!

Sell the Trek and buy a used roadie with that money. Risk being that you might sell the BMC soon thereafter, and then be back on the second bike N+1 wagon. Lol

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd October 2021 at 15:01.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:01   #6590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lovely bike VB. Congratulations! Its definitely at least a couple of steps up from your Trek.
Thank you! I did feel so from the initial ride itself (around 17 kms to home yesterday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
So are you letting the Trek go? It really doesn't make any sense to have two near identical bikes, now that you've effectively scratched the second bike (N+1) itch!

Sell the Trek and buy a used roadie with that money. Risk being that you might sell the BMC soon thereafter, and be back on the second bike N+1 wagon. Lol
Yes, I will list the Trek for sale and hopefully will get a buyer to pick it up. And yes, keeping an eye for a lightly used road bike in the used market. And also checking on the Canyon outlet portal.

I think I will need at least two bikes . Even if a road bike come in, this one will stay for the weekend/evening ventures with the girls.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:04   #6591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will need at least two bikes . Even if a road bike come in, this one will stay for the weekend/evening ventures with the girls.
A straight bar and a drop bar is always the best combination. In the city the flat bar rules. A road bike though ... when you need the speed, nothing comes close.
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:51   #6592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Just to close the loop here ...
First of all thanks for your responses .
Evaluated couple of options .. and since my budget planned was limited i.e. 25k +/- 4k...

Settled on a BTWIN Riverside 500
It checked all the boxes I was looking for
That would seem to be a very sensible bike that looks good and is priced lower than I'd have expected... should prove to be a great all-rounder.

Happy trails,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 22nd October 2021 at 22:54.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 16:57   #6593
BHPian

Quote:

Full specifications here – BMC Alpenchallenge THREE 2021
Cool ride dude.. but not much different from your existing Trek FX3.

Since you picked up a BMC should have gone with one that comes with a carbon belt drive, everyone who owns one seems to love it.

My personal 2cents
What I like about it
- Stellar looks (very premium)
- Decent gear ration

Not so good...
- Being a commuter bike would prefer shocks with a lockout in front (In SG it might not make any difference, but over here it would help thanks to our pathetic roads)
- Quick release lever for the saddle post would have been nice
(not a big fan of the crouched over seat posture .. but I guess you can lower that to a certain extent)

Enjoy your new ride
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:27   #6594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Cool ride dude.. but not much different from your existing Trek FX3.
Thank you!
Actually, it is a whole different game compared to the Trek. The FX3 is really refined and well-behaved, gives you a sense of calmness while riding, whereas the BMC is a hooligan in comparison and gives that urge to push it more.

My ride impressions from this morning is mentioned here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5179492 (Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore
Since you picked up a BMC should have gone with one that comes with a carbon belt drive, everyone who owns one seems to love it.
I believe that’s the Alpenchallenge ONE – firstly that was not in stock, and it will easily cost at least SGD 500 more than the THREE. And the latter itself was SGD 200 (INR 10K+) more than what I paid for the FX3. I would rather use that budget for the second bike (preferably a road bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore

Not so good...
- Being a commuter bike would prefer shocks with a lockout in front (In SG it might not make any difference, but over here it would help thanks to our pathetic roads)
- Quick release lever for the saddle post would have been nice
(not a big fan of the crouched over seat posture .. but I guess you can lower that to a certain extent)

Enjoy your new ride
Thanks again! I actually liked that not so good bits. For me shocks are good on an MTB, but I won’t get a hybrid with shocks. Otherwise, would have got the Dual Sport 3 instead of the FX3 earlier.

And one thing I liked was that seating position combined with the low handlebar. The ride this morning was less forgiving for the body (compared to the FX) but overall it was an enjoyable ride – gives that real sporty feel.

The stem orientation is different between the Trek and BMC (picture below – Trek on the top). When I told the guy at BMC shop that my current ride is FX3, he asked me if I want to reverse the stem to make the handlebar more relaxed. I said to keep it as-is

The Bicycles thread-file.jpeg
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:40   #6595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The stem orientation is different between the Trek and BMC (picture below – Trek on the top). When I told the guy at BMC shop that my current ride is FX3, he asked me if I want to reverse the stem to make the handlebar more relaxed. I said to keep it as-is

Attachment 2222915
The Trek stem if flipped will give you the same angle as the one on your BMC. A 5 minute job.

The main difference is that the Trek has a slight riser bar (like an MTB) while the BMC is a total flat bar (like my ACT). That changes the whole ride feel.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd October 2021 at 21:46.
Old 24th October 2021, 12:39   #6596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Trek stem if flipped will give you the same angle as the one on your BMC. A 5 minute job.

The main difference is that the Trek has a slight riser bar (like an MTB) while the BMC is a total flat bar (like my ACT). That changes the whole ride feel.
Thank you! Appreciate these helpful technical explanations. What I meant to say was that I am now more aligned to the sporty feel rather than that of a plush comfortable commuter. And also now I understand the value of a few millimeters/centimeters when it comes to a bike's settings

On that note, the brilliant Trek FX3 found a new home this morning. The advertisement went online yesterday afternoon, and by late evening two buyers contacted. One offered and backed off within minutes, but the other guy came down this morning to have a look, immediately did the bank transfer and rode off. It was sad to see the bike go (after being a reliable hassle-free companion for 1900 kms, in just above 4 months). On the plus side, it has gone to a good buyer, and looked perfect for the 1.93m tall Frenchman.

For anyone who is looking for a comfortable hybrid that can cruise along in reasonable speed and sufficient plushness, I wholeheartedly recommend the FX3. And the latest 2022 version is now with Deore 1x10 drivetrain (FX2 gets 2x9 now).

The Bicycles thread-img_2186.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th October 2021 at 12:45.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 08:41   #6597
BHPian

Quote:

The Ralson 700c (622) road tyres are coming in 28c as well (and maybe 32c also ...).
32C has been available for a few months. A friend of mine got a set for his Synapse in August but ditched them just a few weeks later. 28C is news to me. Most of the people around me have ditched their Ralsons and moved onto Detonators or Conti/Pirelli at eyewatering prices Have been running the 25C Ralson for about 1k kms now. Definitely not a fast tire, have seen my average dip which is okay. I intend to retain them as they do appear to be more puncture-resistant to me. They are working out fine for me.

Quote:

Some more pictures (click on the image to open in a new window with full resolution):
Congratulations!! What a beautiful bike.

In others news, my cycling has been on the backfoot for some time. Was riding once a week. Was focussing on running, till an injury has benched me. The doctor has asked me to cycle and walk as much as I want to get my high So all is not lost. It's getting cold here in North India. Need to winterize my cycling gear. Any suggestions? The white wind cheater jacket from Decathlon and/or the black cycling base layer was what I am planning to get for now.

Last edited by promit : 25th October 2021 at 08:43.
promit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 09:29   #6598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
32C has been available for a few months. A friend of mine got a set for his Synapse in August but ditched them just a few weeks later. 28C is news to me. Most of the people around me have ditched their Ralsons and moved onto Detonators or Conti/Pirelli at eyewatering prices Have been running the 25C Ralson for about 1k kms now. Definitely not a fast tire, have seen my average dip which is okay. I intend to retain them as they do appear to be more puncture-resistant to me. They are working out fine for me.

In others news, my cycling has been on the backfoot for some time. Was riding once a week. Was focussing on running, till an injury has benched me. The doctor has asked me to cycle and walk as much as I want to get my high So all is not lost. It's getting cold here in North India. Need to winterize my cycling gear. Any suggestions? The white wind cheater jacket from Decathlon and/or the black cycling base layer was what I am planning to get for now.
So you are the third guy I am hearing this feedback (high resistance, slow tyre) from. Same feedback for both the wire bead as well as the folding 25c. That does put a damper on things as I had high hopes for this only surviving Indian road tyre. Anyways, beggars (and make no mistake, thanks to the current policies, we are beggars) cannot be choosers.

I have 2 functional sets right now. My 23c Gatorskins that are my lightest fastest rolling that u have taken 9ff and kept for events. And the Kenda Kontender pair that I am currently running with tyre liners, so heavy but a tad better than my now finally worn through GRLs.

When these are done, I will try and get me a pair of Gator Hardshells from abroad. And probably pick up a Ralson pair for training. I'm a heavy 85 kilo rider with big muscles who prefers the big ring. I do not tend to overthink these things too much. On the road on a ride I can live with a slightly heavier rolling tyre. But a puncture definitely messes up the mood for any rider, so that is always top of my priority list (along with price).

I might get the 28c's for urban duty on my ACT and keep the new GRL 35c's for touring/bikepacking.

For winter I have long finger gloves, long tights, the grey n blue team racing BTwin fleece jersey (brilliant buy), another long sleeved AFMC jersey and a couple of other long sleeved normal drifit half zippered jerseys (as top layers), a blue of long sleeved fleece upper (from my motorcycling days) of Decathlon hiking, a black cycling base layer, and a couple of arm warmers. The white windcheater had been on my radar too for a long time, but I'm waiting for a clearance deal. A great bit of kit that one is. I cannot be seen in the neon yellow version without a face mask. I also have a couple of buffs (neck tubes) for when it's really cold. But those are snot sponges - no escape!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th October 2021 at 09:38.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:27   #6599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are the third guy I am hearing this feedback (high resistance, slow tyre) from. Same feedback for both the wire bead as well as the folding 25c. That does put a damper on things as I had high hopes for this only surviving Indian road tyre. Anyways, beggars (and make no mistake, thanks to the current policies, we are beggars) cannot be choosers.

I have 2 functional sets right now. My 23c Gatorskins that are my lightest fastest rolling that u have taken 9ff and kept for events. And the Kenda Kontender pair that I am currently running with tyre liners, so heavy but a tad better than my now finally worn through GRLs.
Egad! Spoke too soon man. Nazarbattu desperately needed ...

Yesterday was rest day after my Sunday century ride. So in the evening when I was cleaning the bike and getting it ready for the workout today morning, this is what I noticed on the front tyre sidewall on the right hand side ...

The Bicycles thread-img_20211025_210507.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20211025_210616.jpg

Being the front tyre, I did not have the guts to risk it and ride the bike today, so I took the ACT out for a spin instead, and boy did she rock!

The Bicycles thread-img_20211026_070647.jpg

At Ravet, Basket Bridge, with Dr. Ponkshe (one of our Puneri local legends, a senior doctor and a kickass rider in his mid 60s, and the founder of the signature Ultra Climbing race, The Sahyadri Classic) who I bumped into during the early part of the ride. We parted ways from here, but it was great to meet the man and ride with him. Huge respect.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th October 2021 at 12:32.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 13:23   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Egad! Spoke too soon man. Nazarbattu desperately needed ...
Cheers, Doc
Hey Doc, you know what, I had been on Gatorskins (after some years with Ultra Sports) for ages. I had 23mm, 25mm, and 32mm on different bikes. In fact, I still ride 25mm Gatorskins on the rollers.

However, last year, I got myself a set of Pirelli Pzero Velo 4s tires. 28mm. These have really changed the feel of the ride. The tires are very supple and though these are the type with some rain protection, they are very light and grippy. At the same time, they roll very smoothly. I am now an absolute convert. They roll noticeably faster than the 25mm Gatorskins.

Worth giving them a try.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks